Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? (10352 Views)

Tiger Woods Regain World Nø 1 Spot In Golf. / Tiger Woods Reclaims World Number One Title In Golf / Drugs In Golf Too. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by claremont(m): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2012
I do play golf from time to time when I have someone to play against, I find it enjoyable and easy to learn. I am a "Nigerian man" as well! cool
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by favouredjb(f): 1:04pm On Jan 15, 2012
Like someone said d nigerian elite has monopolised it and turned it into a rich man's game,I think its like that all over the world too,not sure

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 15, 2012
Thats a boring game. nigerian men like ngati Yoruba sports, gra gra sports.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 15, 2012
Korrection:

@apocalyse, i can give you some good clubs to start with if you care, the game is good, try it, ill bet when you start youll apologise for criticising

I'm not criticising golf , it is still a good sport which involves precision , balance , strenght and timing but you and I know the kits and materials are far more expensive than the average sport/game. Take scrabble for instance , a standard rotating board with good tiles go for less than 20grand , membership to any scrabble club is less than 5000 naira a year and your dictionaries ( OSL and OSPD ) cost 9000 naira for both , in total we are saying approximately 35grand. If you are into physical sports like football or basketball I don't think you'll spend up to 30grand. A tokunboh golf set cost more than 60grand so tell me how golf is cheaper than most sports or are you going to be giving golf clubs to anyone who wants to play golf , in which case someone is still paying for the clubs.

You must also realise people have different taste and as you might not like a certain sport there are those who can't live without it. I'm not putting down golf and I know it is a great sport but it is not for moi.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2012
Apart from the game being boring as hell, I think here are some other reasons.

1. the equipment is too expensive
2. the registration is expensive too. (about 700k in IBB golf course abuja)
3. The concept of the game itself sucks.
4.Its booring. no chics around just old fat dudes is all u ever see around the golf area
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 15, 2012
^^^ Golf isn't boring if you are into it , agreed the materials and registration are expensive but it is not boring
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 15, 2012
NIGERIA CAN NEVER PLAY GOLF, RUGBY, TENNIS COS WE ARE NOT INFORMED. NIGERIANS AT HOME LACK INFORMATION AND THE GOVERNMENT IS BLIND.
BEFORE BB, WHAT IS THE % OF NIGERIANS AT HOME USING INTERNET COMPARE TO GHANA OR KENYA? = LESS THAN 15%.
WE ARE NIGERIANS, WE ONLY KNOW HOW TO MAKE NOISE AND CLAIM TO BE GIANT OF AFRICA FOR MOUTH.

I WAS A SPECTATOR OF 2011 WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES, NIGERIA FLAG BEARER WAS AN OLD MAN PERHAPS A POLITICIAN WEARING AGBADA AND SHOKOTO.
BUT OTHER COUNTRIES, INCLUDING KENYA, MALI, GAMBIA FLAG BEARERS ARE STUDENTS, YOUNG AND WEARING SUITES AND TRACK SUITES.

I WAS ASHAMED.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by TomFord: 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2012
@apocalypse

Do you play scrabble?
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by onila(f): 1:43pm On Jan 15, 2012
PDPwayoo:

NIGERIA CAN NEVER PLAY GOLF, RUGBY, TENNIS COS WE ARE NOT INFORMED. NIGERIANS AT HOME LACK INFORMATION AND THE GOVERNMENT IS BLIND.
BEFORE BB, WHAT IS THE % OF NIGERIANS AT HOME USING INTERNET COMPARE TO GHANA OR KENYA? = LESS THAN 15%.
WE ARE NIGERIANS, WE ONLY KNOW HOW TO MAKE NOISE AND CLAIM TO BE GIANT OF AFRICA FOR MOUTH.

I WAS A SPECTATOR OF 2011 WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES, NIGERIA FLAG BEARER WAS AN OLD MAN PERHAPS A POLITICIAN WEARING AGBADA AND SHOKOTO.
BUT OTHER COUNTRIES, INCLUDING KENYA, MALI, GAMBIA FLAG BEARERS ARE STUDENTS, YOUNG AND WEARING SUITES AND TRACK SUITES.

I WAS ASHAMED.

sharrap Nigeria has the most internet users in Africa,  , why shld they wear suites? Nigerians are very proud of their culture and are willing to wear abada anywhere. .unlike other African presidents who wear suites Nigerian leaders proudly wear suites @ international events

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by daviesmania(m): 1:44pm On Jan 15, 2012
There is only  1 golf course in akwa ibom, & to hit a shot u must hav lyk 25000 to 30000 in ur pocket. Tell me y guys wil not loose interest in de game.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 15, 2012
@onila.
WHAT HAS AGBADA GOT TO DO WITH SPORT? AND WHAT HAS AN OLD MAN OF 50 YRS. GOT TO DO WITH UNIVERSITY GAME?
YOU NEED RE-ORIENTATION.

CULTURE MY FOOT,
HOW MANY UNESCO HERITAGE SITES IN NIGERIA COMPARE TO JAPAN, CHINA, ISRAEL, GREECE, ITALY ETC. , ABEG OPEN UR EYES B4 EXPRESS LEAVE U WITH UR TIMIDITY.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 15, 2012
@onila
TRY READ AND UNDERSTAND MY COMMENT. I SAID NIGERIANS AT HOME. ALMOST 98% OF NIGERIANS ABROAD USE INTERNET FOR SURE BUT AT HOME IS LESS THAN 15% B4 THE SO CALLED BB.

IF U LEAVE IN ABROAD, HOW MANY EMAILS DO U RECEIVE FROM UR MOM OR DAD IN A YEAR? I GUESS = 0 BUT OLD PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR CHILDREN ON INTERNET OFTEN.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by nanidee(f): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2012
diluminati:

Thats a boring game. nigerian men like ngati Yoruba sports, gra gra sports.

Lolz. . . i feel u on the bolded

@ OP, the answer to your question is because most of them have pot bellies, and their bellies would block their view from the ball.  tongue tongue
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by onila(f): 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
PDPwayoo:

@onila
TRY READ AND UNDERSTAND MY COMMENT. I SAID NIGERIANS AT HOME. ALMOST 98% OF NIGERIANS ABROAD USE INTERNET FOR SURE BUT AT HOME IS LESS THAN 15% B4 THE SO CALLED BB.

IF U LEAVE IN ABROAD, HOW MANY EMAILS DO U RECEIVE FROM your MOM OR DAD IN A YEAR? I GUESS = 0 BUT OLD PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR CHILDREN ON INTERNET OFTEN.

Nigeria has the most internet users in Africa. Nigerian even got the most twitter accounts in Africa. Africa is backbehind but Nigeria is the only one on the way. most of our parents are old school and aint interested in the internet

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by klas(m): 2:16pm On Jan 15, 2012
Golf is very very cheap to play in Abuja on the only course available i.e. IBB

For a starter, you only need

Registration fee : N1m (used to be N500,000)
Annual membership fee : N75,000
Golf kit : around N500,000

Then you are good to go

I routinely scored double birdies and never a bogey but like @omar22, all on wii nintendo  grin

With all that money, I can put 4 VW Golf3 on d road and become taxi fleet owner. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 15, 2012
Tom Ford:

@apocalypse

Do you play scrabble?

Wella , infact I play professionally. My handle on ISC ( Internet scrabble club ) is yinkz. Are you also professionally involved ?
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by atamasco: 2:21pm On Jan 15, 2012
Quite interesting I found this post  just when I am about to start my golf lessons on Tuesday. I won't find out how interesting it is until I start playing properly but I am looking forward to it with great excitement. I  managed to get a full golf set with the bag just for £20, though a used set but looking good for a starter. I also got few balls from a nice member of the golF club last week. I just need to get the golf shoes and tees and I am good to go.
Yearly membership here is around £150 - £200 and £13- £15 to use the golf course a day for practice during the peak time. Golf is rarely played here in Europe during the winter period but I am hoping to explore the sunny parts of Africa with my golf prowess once I am good enough .
Could anyone here tell how often golf tournament is played in Nigeria? and also what the highest prize money is and the biggest tournament.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Korrection(m): 2:35pm On Jan 15, 2012
Folks, i can take anyone that needs to learn to play golf, i can give you a distant lesson if i have the time, right now im in a golf club and have done 18 holes already, ready to make it 36, by the time im through i must have been exhausted and need nothing else but sleep, its not a boring game at all, if you no go you no go know, for real
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by fred2265: 2:37pm On Jan 15, 2012
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 15, 2012
@onila
MAKE I SPEAK BROKEN ENGLISH 4 U. ITS LIKE U DONT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AND HAVE NEVER EVEN CROSSED COTONOU BOARDER.
I WONDER HOW PEOPLE LIKE YOU PASS WAEC.?

WE WANT THE %TAGE NOR BE NUMBER OF USERS.
NAIJA IS 160 MILLION AND 10% OF 160 MILLION IS 16 MILLION.
THEREFORE, IF KENYA OR GHANA HAS 10 MILLION POPULATION FOR EXAMPLE; 10% IS 1 MILLION.

IF U KNOW ARITHMETIC AND KNOW HOW TO THINK WITH UR BRAIN, YOU WILL KNOW THAT NAIJA DONT USE INTERNET COMPARE TO ITS POPULATION BY PERCENTAGE.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 15, 2012
see nIgerians yapping about golf
golf ko,accura ni
like buzgee said,it is not suited to the black mans spirit and thats why the only black man u hear is tiger and even he is not total black
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by blackboi(m): 3:14pm On Jan 15, 2012
The only time i played "Gwara-Gwara" was in my dream. cheesy
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by atamasco: 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2012
@ apocalyse, I challenge you for a game of scrabble on ISC. If you play professionally, you would definitely know the Nigerian scrabble gurus home and away of which I am one of them, lol.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by OtunbaGm: 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2012
No time, it is only the rich people that have the time for Golf. After four hours in hold up, expect weekends!

And that's the time to rest
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2012
atamasco:

@ apocalyse, I challenge you for a game of scrabble on ISC. If you play professionally, you would definitely know the Nigerian scrabble gurus home and away of which I am one of them, lol.

I'm not online at the moment and I'm actually using my phone to browse but you can tell me your handle or seek a game with me when I'm online. I'm a member of the Surulere scrabble club and we have members like Timi and Ben ofeli. I also know the likes of Eng Dipo Akanbi , Seun Oyeleke , Rasheed Balogun , Saidu Ayorinde , Welligton Jighere , Tokunbo Olowu and so many more. I hope you are using the new Collins dictionary and also conversant with the new words like ING , QIN , GUQIN , ERM , ALU , FIQH
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by juman(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2012
Hmm, golf.

I like doing professional golfing, not possible here except I move out.

Too much snow.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 15, 2012
@Korrection I understand the message you are trying to pass along but one thing you should know for sure is walking two holes or whatever is no task compare to running after a leather for 45 mins bumping into another human with high risk of having heart failure due to exhaustion. I don't know how old you are now nor what growing up was like for me, as for I have been to golf course and I can tell you confidentenly that strolling round that place is no task for a normal young man. Unless like I said the person has some ailment. Don't forget that I didn't mention boxing for instance on purpose.
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by supaeagles(m): 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
you wan snake to bite our leg? apart from bourgeois courses like IBB etc where ordinary man fit play?
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by safarigirl(f): 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2012
Most boring game ever (followed closely by cricket) pay people too much for too little. Little or no risk attached. Little or no suspense save for when the ball goes up ǡŋ₫ it seems like it's about to enter the hole.

Boring as hell! Bunch ☺₣ lazy guys ǡŋ₫ girls being driven around J̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊t̲̥̅̊ to hit Ǟ ball with Ǟ stick.

Apparently, Ǟ game for nerds ǡŋ₫ their likes, like chess. Personally do ΩØƚ consider it Ǟ man's sport cos Ǟ bunch ☺₣ guys ¢ð₪'t sit in Ǟ local bar ǡŋ₫ talk about it over beer or J̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊t̲̥̅̊ get together in Ǟ house ǡŋ₫ wtch it.

Meant for stuck up people, the average Joe ¢ð₪'t understand eagles, birdies ǡŋ₫ putts.

Did I mention, it's THE MOST BORING GAME EVER?!!!!!!
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by freepeople: 6:33pm On Jan 15, 2012
Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf?

1. No time

2. No Money

3. No facility
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by klas(m): 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2012
Golf is very very cheap to play in Abuja on the only course available i.e. IBB

For a starter, you only need

Registration fee : N1m (used to be N500,000)
Annual membership fee : N75,000
Golf kit : around N500,000

Then you are good to go

I routinely scored double birdies and never a bogey but like @omar22, all on wii nintendo  

With all that money, I can put 4 VW Golf3 on d road and become taxi fleet owner.

PS:moderator, this was posted at 2:16pm, what moved it?
Re: Why Arent Nigerian men Interested In Golf? by chibaby5(f): 8:55pm On Jan 15, 2012
Golf KO, Fishin Ni. . Dats not our ting loool grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NPFL: Sunshine Stars Vs Shooting Stars (2 - 0) On 10th May 2015 / Venus Beats Serena In Lagos Exhibition Match / Tobi Amusan Breaks African 60m Hurdles Indoor Record, Surpasses Glory Alozie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.