Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

European Distortion Of Black African History - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / European Distortion Of Black African History (4970 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Warns Against Distortion Of Yoruba History / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 7:32pm On Jan 13, 2012
This video discusses how Europeans distorted history of Sub-Saharan Africans because of their racist views of Blacks from the bronze cast sculptures in Nigeria to buildings of Zimbabwe

[flash=600,600]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5f0JxwR-0k&feature=channel_video_title[/flash]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by Rgp92: 10:44pm On Jan 13, 2012
The problem is black people are not doing anything about it. undecided You cant really blame the europeans. They're doing what every human in their position would have done.
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2012
Rgp92:

The problem is black people are not doing anything about it. undecided You cant really blame the europeans. They're doing what every human in their position would have done.

So True; well we have to start some where though
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by igbo2011(m): 5:21am On Jan 19, 2012
THere are many historians who tell the truth about great African history. Look up Anta Diop and Ivan Sertima. Also go to this site to learn more about African history: http://endingstereotypes.org/african_history.html

Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgyAxqD9mQ
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 2:18pm On Jan 19, 2012
igbo2011:

THere are many historians who tell the truth about great African history.  Look up Anta Diop and Ivan Sertima. Also go to this site to learn more about African history: http://endingstereotypes.org/african_history.html

Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgyAxqD9mQ

Thanks for the sources
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by zolzlolz(f): 12:32pm On Jan 21, 2012
They do it to instill a sense of inferiority in Africans so they would rely on Europeans for everything-control seeking. Firstly when a white kid looks in his history book he can see famous mathematicians, physicists, actors etc, and its positive for his self esteem thus it gives him confidence to pursue his dreams. Now when a black kid reads the history books, his ancestors are depicted as slaves or second class citizens in a position of servitude. The black child will not have the same confidence as the white child if he wants to be, say, an austronaut. Secondly, this inferiority complex adopted by Africans makes them willing to adopt European culture. These so-called educated Africans would rather take their skills to Europe, rather than use them to build roads, hospitals and universities for the young generation. They're brainwashed minds would rather seek acceptance on the streets of London or Paris so they can brag to their countrymen back home as if being around Europeans gives them some sort of positive validation.
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by zolzlolz(f): 12:32pm On Jan 21, 2012
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:58pm On Jan 21, 2012
Rgp92:

anonymous6:

So True; well we have to start some where though

first step is a process called decolonisation, like what is happening in Bolivia, SOuth America, were Quechua and Aymara Tribes are returning to traditional religion. A change in mentality first, will only drive a change in other issues.

heres the link of one of my previous threads where i explained this:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=716413.0;viewResults
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by zolzlolz(f): 3:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

A change in mentality first, will only drive a change in other issues.
grin
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by zolzlolz(f): 3:18pm On Jan 21, 2012
Rgp92:

The problem is black people are not doing anything about it. undecided
Except whining of course. We are not take any proactive steps to advance ourselves. Our anger isn't getting channelled into useful action. I agree
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by emofine2(f): 10:14am On Jan 31, 2012
Hmm it does make one wonder what their purpose was for re-writing history and of course wonder what else they could be possibly hiding.
The consequences of such action is grave as zolzlolz has highlighted but a few.

By stripping one of their history is to poison one's self worth. If one doesn't know where they come from how will they know where they're going? Who will they draw inspiration from and if it happens to be from those who made their history redundant are they not thus being misled?

It's also quite sad how some regard their own history. When I used to marvel at the great works of Benin/Ile Ife etc some Nigerians labelled such masterpieces as "Witchcraft".
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by Ptolomeus(m): 10:05pm On Feb 02, 2012
emöfine:

Hmm it does make one wonder what their purpose was for re-writing history and of course wonder what else they could be possibly hiding.

By stripping one of their history is to poison one's self worth. If one doesn't know where they come from how will they know where they're going? Who will they draw inspiration from and if it happens to be from those who made their history redundant are they not thus being misled?

It's also quite sad how some regard their own history. When I used to marvel at the great works of Benin/Ile Ife etc some Nigerians labelled such masterpieces as "Witchcraft".
I totally agree with you dear friend.
History has shown the Europeans committed and hardworking to distort African history forever.
Early studies of the English religious on African traditions are full of errors, trying to explain to its own settings to a completely different culture. Indeed, they did not understand what was witchcraft or something of the devil or Satan ,  when neither Satan or the devil exist in the cultures of Africa ,
Also, witchcraft has its origins in Europe, not Africa!
They have done with the Indians in America, with Africans in Africa ,  everything that is not part of their culture must be destroyed or changed ,  lamentable intolerance, costing, costs and cost many lives.
Someone said that "ideas do not kill" ,  traditions and culture either!
I do not think there are better or worse cultures, but different cultures ,
I am gratified to read shows like yours.

PAGAN 9JA:

first step is a process called decolonisation, like what is happening in Bolivia, SOuth America, were Quechua and Aymara Tribes are returning to traditional religion. A change in mentality first, will only drive a change in other issues.

Exactly!
The European approach seeks to make us ashamed of who we are. It's another kind of domination, but so is.
It is outrageous that those who live in fear of the devil, alleged witches have been burned, tortured, those who thought differently from them, claiming that Indians and blacks had no souls, whoever they want to dictate moral and cultural norms of others, and ridicule what their lack of information and culture does not allow them to understand.

The word is "consciousness."

A friendly greeting for everyone!
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
zolzlolz:

They do it to instill a sense of inferiority in Africans so they would rely on Europeans for everything-control seeking. Firstly when a white kid looks in his history book he can see famous mathematicians, physicists, actors etc, and its positive for his self esteem thus it gives him confidence to pursue his dreams. Now when a black kid reads the history books, his ancestors are depicted as slaves or second class citizens in a position of servitude. The black child will not have the same confidence as the white child if he wants to be, say, an austronaut. Secondly, this inferiority complex adopted by Africans makes them willing to adopt European culture. These so-called educated Africans would rather take their skills to Europe, rather than use them to build roads, hospitals and universities for the young generation. They're brainwashed minds would rather seek acceptance on the streets of London or Paris so they can brag to their countrymen back home as if being around Europeans gives them some sort of positive validation.

cosign 100%, and that's why I feel this issue needs to be addressed. to me one big way to stop it is training out children about it to combat against it

emöfine:

I have heard some Nigerians say that, and I just don't get it because the Benin/Ife art are master pieces to me and advanced art, which even surpassed Europeans. To me witchcraft has nothing to do with those arts, two different things why Nigerians feel the need to connect them is utter rubbish to me

PAGAN  9JA:

True, You have points but not many would leave their Muslim and Christian religion for the old religion, especially the Muslims. One thing about the old religion that needs to go it human sacrifice. To be honest I am Christian but I respect the old religion unlike some other Nigerians of course. I also believe also that there needs be a consciousnesses in africans when it comes to their race and who they are.

Ptolomeus:

I totally agree with you dear friend.
History has shown the Europeans committed and hardworking to distort African history forever.
Early studies of the English religious on African traditions are full of errors, trying to explain to its own settings to a completely different culture. Indeed, they did not understand what was witchcraft or something of the devil or Satan ,  when neither Satan or the devil exist in the cultures of Africa ,
Also, witchcraft has its origins in Europe, not Africa!
They have done with the Indians in America, with Africans in Africa ,  everything that is not part of their culture must be destroyed or changed ,  lamentable intolerance, costing, costs and cost many lives.
Someone said that "ideas do not kill" ,  traditions and culture either!
I do not think there are better or worse cultures, but different cultures ,
I am gratified to read shows like yours.
Exactly!
The European approach seeks to make us ashamed of who we are. It's another kind of domination, but so is.
It is outrageous that those who live in fear of the devil, alleged witches have been burned, tortured, those who thought differently from them, claiming that Indians and blacks had no souls, whoever they want to dictate moral and cultural norms of others, and ridicule what their lack of information and culture does not allow them to understand.

The word is "consciousness."

A friendly greeting for everyone!

True I agree
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by emofine2(f): 4:37pm On Feb 03, 2012
anonymous6:
I have heard some Nigerians say that, and I just don't get it because the Benin/Ife art are master pieces to me and advanced art, which even surpassed Europeans. To me witchcraft has nothing to do with those arts, two different things why Nigerians feel the need to connect them is utter rubbish to me

The irony is - it was such fine pieces of work that challenged and revised the way Europeans and the like thought of Africans. Binis for example were casting before the Europeans so such skill didn't have it's origin in Europe neither could the Europeans thus say that the Binis etc acquired the knowledge from them.
These works as well as many in Africa pose as a testament to the sophistication of Africans and their civilization. 
"Withcraft"? *sigh*
Actually I usually hear such depreciative language from Christian Nigerians hmmmn
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 8:10pm On Feb 03, 2012
emöfine:

The irony is - it was such fine pieces of work that challenged and revised the way Europeans and the like thought of Africans. Binis for example were casting before the Europeans so such skill didn't have it's origin in Europe neither could the Europeans thus say that the Binis etc acquired the knowledge from them.
These works as well as many in Africa pose as a testament to the sophistication of Africans and their civilization. 
"Withcraft"? *sigh*
Actually I usually hear such depreciative language from Christian Nigerians hmmmn

I agree, I don't get it, some Muslim Nigerians also have had that sentiment as well
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
sister anonymous6, what human sacrifiice you talk about. Hausa dont do it and Yoruba dont. only Igbo did it but it was only for war captives or criminals who would be executed anyways. it is the same thing. what difference does it make to execute a human on the gallows by capital punishment and to sacrice the same person on the altar of the Gods this human sacrifice nonsense is spread by missionaries.

also today the ancients thought that if animals were sacrificed then why not humans we believe in equality of all creatures on this planet because we need each other to survive. this was how we think. and it was criminals who met that fat anyways.

ofcourse we can eliminate it today if it exists. it is not a very important ritual.
Re: European Distortion Of Black African History by anonymous6(f): 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

sister anonymous6, what human sacrifiice you talk about. Hausa dont do it and Yoruba dont. only Igbo did it but it was only for war captives or criminals who would be executed anyways. it is the same thing. what difference does it make to execute a human on the gallows by capital punishment and to sacrice the same person on the altar of the Gods this human sacrifice nonsense is spread by missionaries.

also today the ancients thought that if animals were sacrificed then why not humans we believe in equality of all creatures on this planet because we need each other to survive. this was how we think. and it was criminals who met that fat anyways.

ofcourse we can eliminate it today if it exists. it is not a very important ritual.
well in the news and media I have heard this

exactly

(1) (Reply)

Coming Of Islam To Hausaland By Trade Not Jihad / Mixed Heritage Nigerians / Let's End The 'Osu' Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.