Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,072 members, 7,838,710 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? (6042 Views)

For Married Peps Only: A Favourite Pastime Between You And Your Boo / Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 11:51am On Jan 19, 2012
When a child is stubborn and the mother seems to close an eye or be mild with that chid it is not because the child is more loved than the others but because this child might just need more understanding and patience. When we consider that some children are hyperactive, you cannot come through with constant punishment, sometimes kind words and even ignoring help more. °Kids see such things differently. I have a son that hard serious difficulties when he started school and I had to spend so much time teaching him everything after school. When this child brought home a 3 i was elated and would hug him and dance. My other kids could not understand why I did not react the same way even when they brought home their 1. In fact  would have scolded them for a 3. They must have felt I loved him more but I was only placing his yardstick according to his capabilities. It was already so hard for him because his siblings were doing much better. My other son wanted to know why i get so mad when his room isn`t tidy and do not react that way with his older sister. It was simply because at that time it was her only weak point while the boy had a handful so I was ready to indulge her. basically parents might appear to show preferences but that is not the case. They are only using different methods to handle different situations. since human beings are all so different and special you cannot as a parent apply the same yardsticks. I read one posters opinion about loving that child more who bring better note etc. I love my kids and stand by them. That is the role of a parent, especially when children face failure and defeat that is when they need their parents the most to stand by them and give them the courage to stand up and continue.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by gendebs(m): 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2012
freecocoa:

Are you trying to say they love the goody goody child more? If so then I'll boldly tell you that's not true cos my elder sister is like a dove,very obedient,kind,cheerful etc but she gets no special treatment,I'm like really stubborn,like being by myself,often didn't cooperate with them as kids but had so much attention and was really pampered by my dad.
freecocoa:

Are you trying to say they love the goody goody child more? If so then I'll boldly tell you that's not true cos my elder sister is like a dove,very obedient,kind,cheerful etc but she gets no special treatment,I'm like really stubborn,like being by myself,often didn't cooperate with them as kids but had so much attention and was really pampered by my dad.
Ur dad might like you because of ur stubborness or u might possess something that others don't have. My eldest brother is the brightest of all my fathers children, he read both law and accounting concorrently within 6years he is already a barrister and a chartered accountant because of this my mum don't toil with him, he is my mum's favourite. My dad likes My kid sister more than any of the boys cos she is the only girl and the last born of the family. Thou my mum claims she love up equally but it glaring and obvious that she likes my eldest brother more. parent can never like thier children equally. Stepo made reference to joseph in the bible, also is jacob and esau. Every parent have reason why their favourite child
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 12:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
Shola (f):

In the eyes of my mum, her only son can do no wrong,

Awwww, I detect a very strong undercurrent of envy- Its alright, at the end of the day you know she does love you too.

~Bluetooth:

It's mostly conspicuous where there are more benefits or somethings are at stake.I havent talked with my sister in 8 years since she knew i'm my parent favourite.I felt my parent made mistake letting my siblings to know their special love for me which is threatening the bond within the children now.So you may never notice until your parent do you a big favour that others do not get.

The old brother/sister rivalry. Let me guess: she is the older one, I can relate to this- although in my own case it is not really the issue of being the favourite, it is more of being perceived as being the favourite + a whole lot of other factors.

Very sad though!

mutter:

When a child is stubborn and the mother seems to close an eye or be mild with that chid it is not because the child is more loved than the others but because this child might just need more understanding and patience. When we consider that some children are hyperactive, you cannot come through with constant punishment, sometimes kind words and even ignoring help more. °Kids see such things differently. I have a son that hard serious difficulties when he started school and I had to spend so much time teaching him everything after school. When this child brought home a 3 i was elated and would hug him and dance. My other kids could not understand why I did not react the same way even when they brought home their 1. In fact would have scolded them for a 3. They must have felt I loved him more but I was only placing his yardstick according to his capabilities. It was already so hard for him because his siblings were doing much better. My other son wanted to know why i get so mad when his room isn`t tidy and do not react that way with his older sister. It was simply because at that time it was her only weak point while the boy had a handful so I was ready to indulge her. basically parents might appear to show preferences but that is not the case. They are only using different methods to handle different situations. since human beings are all so different and special you cannot as a parent apply the same yardsticks. I read one posters opinion about loving that child more who bring better note etc. I love my kids and stand by them. That is the role of a parent, especially when children face failure and defeat that is when they need their parents the most to stand by them and give them the courage to stand up and continue.

Okay, you are a sweetheart but a time will come when you will find yourself irresistably drawn to one child over the others and will have to take extra effort to prevent it from showing. It happens, nothing to feel guilty about as long as you don't act on the emotion.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 19, 2012
maclatunji:

The old brother/sister rivalry. Let me guess: she is the older one, I can relate to this- although in my own case it is not really the issue of being the favourite, it is more of being perceived as being the favourite + a whole lot of other factors.

Very sad though!

It wasn't really a competition thing as such.i happen to be the first male and she felt bad that i got much attention even though she was the eldest.She had no choice but to travel out when she felt like she may have been an adopted child,so we've not talked since then.Prefential treatment among one's children can be tragic at times.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 1:23pm On Jan 19, 2012
~Bluetooth:

It wasn't really a competition thing as such.i happen to be the first male and she felt bad that i got much attention even though she was the eldest.She had no choice but to travel out when she felt like she may have been an adopted child,so we've not talked since then.Prefential treatment among one's children can be tragic at times.

You are just confirming my point. I understand what you are saying more than you can care to describe. I must add that it is not like your parents don't love her. It is just that she has convinced herself that they love you more than her. Hence, she is very emotional/irrational about the issue. I will advise that if she does not cause you or your parents any serious bother that you reach out to her and draw her closer.

We men have to look-out for our women inspite of their irrational behaviour sometimes. By 'our women' I mean Wives (or potential ones), Daughters, Sisters and Mothers. They will mostly not admit it, but they need our support- IT IS THE TRUTH!
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2012
Maclatunji, I wonder if the future will prove you right
My first child is already 28 and I do not love him more than the little baby on my arms.
I hope the future proves you wrong because i would have failed in my role as a mother. Thank God for this topic, sometimes one needs to be reminded of something so important and ever present that one might get tempted to forget.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2012
mutter:

Maclatunji, I wonder if the future will prove you right
My first child is already 28 and I do not love him more than the little baby on my arms.
I hope the future proves you wrong because i would have failed in my role as a mother. Thank God for this topic, sometimes one needs to be reminded of something so important and ever present that one might get tempted to forget.

Okay, but let's reverse the topic. Do you think that your children (God bless them) love you equally?

I am sure that even if you say you don't think they love you equally, your own love for them will remain equal- abi?

If that is the case, I would like to learn how you have achieved it so far- because I think it is virtually impossible!
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Samunosuke(m): 1:47pm On Jan 19, 2012
There is always a favourite,even if they never publicly admit it.As for moi,my pop has 3 wives but just 2 of us,me and my elder stepsister.I grew up with my mum while she grew up with my pop and her mum.To me its very clear that she's his favourite 'cos he doesn't really know me, coupled with the fact that when I was young and visited,I was extremely rough and stubborn.Now that I actually spend more time with him he's warming up to me but his heart lies with my sis.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
@slimyem
It's possible as evident from your family but most parents tend to have a favourite. In my family my elder sister gets to be daddy's girl while my brother ( first boy ) is my mums favourite , I'm just the other kid. Strange as it may be I'm my grandparents ( all my grandparents ) favourite , I just don't know but aged relations always find me more adorable.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by freecocoa(f): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
@Bluetooth,hmm your sister dey vex o,isn't that a bit extreme?8 years? Hah.

In my own case there was serious beef but it didn't get to the extent of not talking for more than hours or days,my mum never allowed that,even till now my dad still shows his preference and they've all gotten used to it,(its a common knowledge to anyone close to us) but as a young adult I try to manage things in a way that they won't feel bad especially since mum isn't here to intervene anymore and we are all above 18 so maturity is often applied by siblings. I think you need to talk to your sister abeg.

@Gendebs,well he often says I'm very wise and I'm doing very well at school i guess that contributes.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 19, 2012
maclatunji:

You are just confirming my point. I understand what you are saying more than you can care to describe. I must add that it is not like your parents don't love her. It is just that she has convinced herself that they love you more than her. Hence, she is very emotional/irrational about the issue. I will advise that if she does not cause you or your parents any serious bother that you reach out to her and draw her closer.

We men have to look-out for our women inspite of their irrational behaviour sometimes. By 'our women' I mean Wives (or potential ones), Daughters, Sisters and Mothers. They will mostly not admit it, but they need our support- IT IS THE TRUTH!

I understand you sir.I will try and work out something but definitely not this time around.E se pupo sir
freecocoa:

@Bluetooth,hmm your sister dey vex o,isn't that a bit extreme?8 years? Hah.

In my own case there was serious beef but it didn't get to the extent of not talking for more than hours or days,my mum never allowed that,even till now my dad still shows his preference and they've all gotten used to it,(its a common knowledge to anyone close to us) but as a young adult I try to manage things in a way that they won't feel bad especially since mum isn't here to intervene anymore and we are all above 18 so maturity is often applied by siblings. I think you need to talk to your sister abeg.

@Gendebs,well he often says I'm very wise and I'm doing very well at school i guess that contributes.

I just felt like she should be the one to apologize since the hatred is coming from her.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 2:46pm On Jan 19, 2012
Maclatunji, you ask some questions that are very deep. Do all my kids love me equally? I have never considered that aspect. I guess that parents love their children unconditionally, at least that´s the way it should be. My son as a teenager used to tell me he would never visit me when he leaves because I was so strict and mean. Eventually he ended up tanking me for it and he is ever present. I guess it is even normal for kids at a stage to think they hate their parents.
I guess all my kids don`t love me equally. At least i think some people can love more than others and some people cannot express love adequately. A may love you more than B but A may love 10 people more than you while B loves you more than anyone else. This question is difficult. However I can give you one answer: It does not matter if they love me more important is that I love them.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by blank(f): 2:47pm On Jan 19, 2012
Parents always have favourites. They may not even be aware of it but their actions prove it.

My dad's favourite was my immediate younger brother, the first boy. We just used to notice that my dad would do stuff for him just for the heck of it. He is my dad's spitting image except that he is taller. My dad always tried to do same for everyone, if you got anything extra it was cause you needed it and the rest of us had no issues at all. Where the favouritism thingy can cause issues is when you deny one kid to favour the other. My brother went to uni with a full set of electronics cos he asked for it while i had none though i went to school before him. I was not bothered. When i needed it in my dad gave me what i wanted.

My mum on the other hand had my youngest brother as her favourite kid and it was just so obvious but we all had no issues cos he was everyone's darling. He had such a cute smile and was always willing to help even if he could not. I have a soft spot for him and i call him my baby.

@ Mutter, you might not even notice just like my mum never did.That extra attention you were showing could just be an expression of that. What touched me was you saying that you tried to shield him from his siblings as per them doing better. So sweet.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2012
^Yes, I was going to say the same thing. She comes across as an all-round wonderful person.

#Justtakethecompliment
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by afm4ever(m): 3:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
My parents have this special attention 4 my only sister cos she is the only girl and last born out of five boys and one girl all of us liked her 4 that if any lays his fillty hand on her u don enter b say u don enter our problem no b small thing o lol
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I understand you sir.I will try and work out something but definitely not this time around.E se pupo sir
I just felt like she should be the one to apologize since the hatred is coming from her.

Bros. the kind of synergy I have with you on this topic is just uncanny. You see, I am all in support of you letting her bear the consequences of her actions (sometimes, you just have to let people go through self-inflicted pain and misery before they learn). However, 8 years of abandonment is too much- initiate contact and play the fool, massage her ego a little bit and bring her back into the fold.

It is kind of your duty sir- let me give you an example of how you have this added responsibility: Even if she is 20 years older than you, you can still give her hand out in marriage under some circumstances (even if it is just ceremonial); it would still be an honour for/to her under our culture.

But she cannot stand for you with your prospective in-laws even if she is old enough to be your mother because you are the man. It is just the way things are/work.

I know you get my drift.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 4:04pm On Jan 19, 2012
Thank you for the compliments.
However it`s not like I do not agree that parents do not have favourites but not all parents.
I always came across like my dad`s favourite but I was to realise that in my deepest moments he turned his back on me. As soon as things were better I was was back in my position. Today I am being showered with blessings but I virtually had/ have to "buy" them. I wonder if it would be the same if I had nothing to offer. This type of conditional position only causes hatred amongst siblings. You get hated for being the favourite and the others grow up not feeling special.  That is why I vowed never to rate my children according to their achievements or qualities. I want to be loved in my deepest moments in my greatest fall and so I want to offer my kids the same. The worst thing one can do as a parent is to let children grow up feeling inferior or unloved. Every child deserves to grow up believing it is something special, a gift from God, unique in it`s own way. Every child needs to be taught to reach for the skies. Sorry if this is getting a bit emotional. It`s not the perfect mother writing but the hurt child.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Sholaf(f): 4:27pm On Jan 19, 2012
^I feel your pain, my biological mum is the same.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2012
mutter:

However it`s not like I do not agree that parents do not have favourites but not all parents.
I always came across like my dad`s favourite but I was to realise that in my deepest moments he turned his back on me. As soon as things were better I was was back in my position. Today I am being showered with blessings but I virtually had/ have to "buy" them. I wonder if it would be the same if I had nothing to offer. This type of conditional position only causes hatred amongst siblings. You get hated for being the favourite and the others grow up not feeling special.  That is why I vowed never to rate my children according to their achievements or qualities. I want to be loved in my deepest moments in my greatest fall and so I want to offer my kids the same. The worst thing one can do as a parent is to let children grow up feeling inferior or unloved. Every child deserves to grow up believing it is something special, a gift from God, unique in it`s own way. Every child needs to be taught to reach for the skies. Sorry if this is getting a bit emotional. It`s not the perfect mother writing but the hurt child.

There is nothing wrong with what you have expressed. We are saying the same thing; only in different ways.

Let me play 'advocate' and say that your Dad probably abandoned you in your time of need for you to find the inner strength from within you to conquer your fears and challenges. Now, that you seem to have achieved that, he has your back! I think it is fair to say that most fathers have a soft spot for their daughters especially if she is the first child.

So, show your old man some additional love.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by hommer(f): 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2012
In some families, a child may become a favourite because he/she is the first, last or only son/ daughter. In some families, as long as a child is meeting up with some financial obligations in the home. I know a woman a who calls her first son opara iberibe ( foolish first son) because he doesnt give her money the way she wants.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by dasparrow: 7:43pm On Jan 19, 2012
maclatunji:

There is nothing wrong with what you have expressed. We are saying the same thing; only in different ways.

Let me play 'advocate' and say that your Dad probably abandoned you in your time of need for you to find the inner strength from within you to conquer your fears and challenges. Now, that you seem to have achieved that, he has your back! I think it is fair to say that most fathers have a soft spot for their daughters especially if she is the first child.

So, show your old man some additional love.

Hmmmmmm, easier said than done.

@Post

In my family, it is my eldest sister that is my mom's favourite and then my younger brother. I hate favouritsm and now I feel that I do not owe my mom anything. When she is old and gray, she should go to my sister her favourite child. I just think many Nigerians lack parenting skills and I regret being born by a set of Nigerian parents.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by isalegan2: 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
I think most parents do favor a particular child, but good parents make every effort to not show it.  My parents didn't at all, but the youngest child did get a lot of attention.  We all knew the personal reasons why and we didn't take it to heart.  Now that everyone is grown, the youngest is now treated no different from everyone else.  BTW, I am the fave of both parents, but I never said that. wink

~Bluetooth:

Oga Bluefunk,

I feel compelled to be the lone dissenting opinion in this romanticised planned reunion. lol.  Without belabouring the point or revealing too much, I have to simply say, there is a reason people "grow" apart.   A friend went out of his way, after a few years of not speaking, to reconcile with a relative who also was the one "the hatred is coming from," and it was nothing short of disastrous to his life and overall well-being.  (He contends that it is the biggest mistake he ever made in his life and regret it daily still, since he is yet to get this person out of his life - like it was before.  If he had it to do over again, he would have stayed away!)  If someone has a problem with you for whatever valid or invalid reason there is nothing you can do to turn them around.  Usually, the person just has a problem with him/herself, period!  Being a very family-centered person, I can't stand to be alienated from any family member and will do just about ANYTHING to keep in touch with everyone, so I am not against your reconnecting with your sister.  Just do it one step at a time and if you notice there is still some ill-will towards you, I can't imagine you wouldn't start running in the other direction.  That's the most I can share.

Anyway, his way of handling it is to now put more effort into creating his own family instead of continuing to deal with old family problems.  wink
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Ivynwa(f): 9:03pm On Jan 19, 2012
Most times some parents can't help liking some of their children more than the others maybe because the beloved children behave in ways that appeals to them, are more obedient to them, closer to them or more caring and understanding than the other children yet parents are always advised not to let that show as it breeds siblings rivalry and unnecessary negative feelings in the family.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by slimyem: 9:33pm On Jan 19, 2012
dasparrow:

Hmmmmmm, easier said than done.

@Post

In my family, it is my eldest sister that is my mom's favourite and then my younger brother. I hate favouritsm and now I feel that I do not owe my mom anything. When she is old and gray, she should go to my sister her favourite child. I just think many Nigerians lack parenting skills and I regret being born by a set of Nigerian parents.
hey!
Do not live by this bitterness.its poisonous.
And try remember that even if your mum missed it somewhere,m sure she must have made a few sacrifices for you when you couldnt help yourself.
Get over it already!
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 9:52pm On Jan 19, 2012
dassparrow no need repaying wrong with wrong because it only continues the viscous circle and you might end up carrying that over to your kids. I know my father had this weakness that he could not stand failures and once thing were not moving according to his standards you were down below. It is very important that my kids see the love, respect and attention I show my father and siblings because that is how the will learn to treat me and their siblings one day. Despite everything that happened I never turned my back on my dad, I never abused him and I never held anything against him.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Theblessed(f): 12:33am On Jan 20, 2012
[b][size=16pt]Well, here's the truth! 

Parents will always have a favourite child/children - whether we like it or not!  Parents would never admit openly they have 'a favourite' among their millions, would they? 

No, because, it can backfire!

The Bible thought us 'You can't serve two masters at once - you either hate one or love the other'.  That's true isn't it?  For example, polygamists have favourite wives among their battallion wives, eh? And if you're born in a polygamous home, you know who the favourite wife is, don't you?

Listen!  God himself who created us all has favourite pikins too - the ISREALITES! Abi? God swore abundance blessing unto them - that he is their God and they are his people. Can we change that? No!!! That's how it is and remains.

What can the rest of the world do about that - nothing other than being jealous.  You see, that kind of jealousy that existed in the relationship between Joseph and his 11 brothers - they hated him because, he was the 'Apple of his father's eyes'. That's why the rest of the world hate Isreal - does it worth it? No! It's misery, and we're all are suffering because of it - where there's no love, how could there be joy?

God used such things to teach us beings something, yet we still lack understanding!

As you can see the world hate the Jews because, they are 'loved'.  God loves them and punishes them when they break his laws and then, forgive them when they plea for mercy and repent.  As you can see, it's an everlasting love, everlasting relationship no one can change!

So, no one could swear they would never fall into such situation in their own relationships with their children because, such affection is influenced by our emotions/love for a particular member of our family - you can not help your emotions. 

The only way to avoid not being seen as having favourites among your children is, JUST DON'T HAVE MORE THAN ONE, period!

Have only one child, that way, you won't be accused of favouritism among you clan!

Hmm! as if that will protect you from allegations and accusations - Naaaah!  Even the only children themselves, still accuse their parent of not doing enough for them - that they were busy when they should be loving and rotating their world around them - rather, they were busy raising/looking after their own siblings/family i.e. brothers, sisters, mother and father instead of worshipping them. undecided undecided undecided undecided 

I have heard/seen few that do, accuse their parent and when you have only one, and they accuse you of not doing enough despite all you forfeited to give them the best you can/had and then, receive this sort of payback - how would you feel? It really, does happen!

Some evil children throw it back on their parents face - and the same will be reciprocated back to them when their own time comes - I mean, their own children! Life is, turn by turn - wait until yours if you're that kind that feel so embittered towards your parents for minor things as this, becareful! An Igbo proverb says"Nne ewu na ata ji, nwa ya n'ele ya anya no onu"

Meaning, when she goat dey chew jam im pikin dey watch im mouth! Why? To learn how to chew his/her own yam when the time come - beware!  Your children are watching your behaviour towards you own parent, becareful!

Therefore, we can not win, and whatever we do, remember parents will always have favourites, whether we like it or not, but they will never, ever admit it rather, they'd say "we love all our children equally" but, reality says differently, abi? 

Never mind, for some of us who didn't get much attention from parents growing up due to our battallion sibblings fighting for their attention, we have a word for parents, and that is - Don't worry, we know who the favourites are, in this family, do we need to be told, abi? grin grin grin grin grin 

So, if you're not one of the favourites in your own family, don't make it a big deal/feel dejected about it and dislike/hatred towards your parents/family, for it natural for people to have choices when there's so many to choose from, abi? 

And, you, yourself who is hurt by their rights to choose - haven't you ever made choices of your own in life? undecided undecided undecided And if you hadn't, I suggest you try it - you won't regret it!! grin grin

So, parents have right to choose if they want.  Please, don't make it a big deal, there's nothing there to create animosity that can push you into to disliking/hating members of your family for no genuine reason and particularly, the two people that loved you and brought you into the world. 

If they didn't love you, they wouldn't have bothered with you - they would have aborted you and you wouldn't have been here choosing to dislike or hate or cut them off your life for good, think of it!

Personally, I have been hurt by some members of my own family, I love them all till 'D'.  I can't live without my family/friends - they are my world! 

So, love your parents whether good or bad because, it will be reciprocated back to you by some of your own children, if not all - think about it! wink wink wink wink
[/size][/b]
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by bigbumper(f): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2012
mutter:

Shola (f):

^I feel your pain, my biological mum is the same.

You both are human so its your fundamental right to feel the way you do. What sometimes helps is trying to picture yourself in that persons shoes that they too could be amongst the walking wounded blighted by their childhood and might not have had the best of childhood too and hence life didn't present them a glimpse of the template on how to be good parents, hence reason they couldn't perform up to par when life threw them the curve ball of parenthood smiley

Like in your situation Mutter whereby you had no choice than to walk, yet all Dad sees is his lil daughter cast out alone and adrift, and him prolly not knowing how to help did all what most men do, and helplessly withdrew into his shell/cave to ponder what next. . . only for you to rise back onto your feet better and stronger. . .which of course lifts him out of the deep dark abyss he'd retreated to, to come out punching the air that yay, my baby girl Mutter is back cheesy
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 8:44am On Jan 20, 2012
^Funny grin
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2012
big bumper, Thanks I needed to read what you wrote. Whenever the memories come u again i will focus on your words.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by bigbumper(f): 8:50am On Jan 21, 2012
mutter:

big bumper, Thanks I needed to read what you wrote. Whenever the memories come u again i will focus on your words.

Anytime Model Mother Mutter, anything for you kiss

Another thing you mentioned was the pressure you apply to some of your offsprings regarding studying, my parents tried that with me and I purportly made sure I got my own back. My Dad was the type that always wanted me to be first in class and nothing else, and not only was I required to be first, he was the type that only regarded the first position if you scored 90% and above, he was an Actuarist hence always combed over my exam grades with a calculator in hand, so the few times I came second which I can count on one hand were hell for me, I would go into hiding and refuse to come out, dreading the time he would come home with his voice booming "Busy-body where is your grade result. . ." cos all I was hearing was "you have been playing ehn/what was the person who came first's percentage/you have started noticing boys abi/etc. . .

On the other hand, my sister who comes 21st outta a class of 30 gets mollycuddled and praised and gets treats because she was 24th in class the previous year. I had to ask my Mum why my Dad was like this, and my Mum's response would be "she improved her grades" but my teenage brain was still too immature to grasp this.  So I started rebelling, became disenchanted with education, cursing whomever invented it daily, and physically offloaded my brain and left it in one of the jars in our Biology lab till date grin

Fastforward to the end of the term and Dad again boomed "Busy_body come here let's see your grades I trust you nailed it as usual". . . and was struggling to pick his jaw from the floor cos here I was flaunting my grade result showing I came 13th in his face with reckless impunity. So when he started asking why my best friend came second, I was like hahaha time to rub it in . . ."Know what Dad I am in class ?A and came 13th with 89% outta the whole school with 160 students, my friend is in class ?D and although she came 2nd in her class, her overall score position with her 52% total is 107th position, so you were saying" grin

And then to further rub his nose in it, I innocently asked "Sorry I slipped up Dad, but you know I love you and I want to be just like you when I grow up, because you are always motivating me and spurring me on to be the best and not settle for second best. . .so are you the highest paid person in your company/Are you the person holding the topmost position in your firm? . . . And I bet what he was thinking whilst retreating into his cave was "jeez I have lost this my daughter to the infamous-atypical-recalcitrant-teenage-land-of-no-return cheesy

And if you see him now ehn, na so so University education is not important in Nigeria/its who you know/its about connection/blah blah blah. . .old age I guess ehn cheesy 

maclatunji:

^Funny  grin

Its very simple na, isn't everything about men a ratrace to be the best, hence reason dem coin the term "human race", and hence they are always ready with their foot on the pedal, revving in anticipation of outrunning even complete strangers at the traffic lights, lol. Its always about going one better to provide for their own so they can sit back preening "my wife, my children, my car, my mutter bought me that tobacco snuff, her brother bought me this singlet, etc". And isn't withdrawing into their cave how men deal with issues grin
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 9:29am On Jan 21, 2012
^I am not sure that we 'retreat into caves'. Can you expatiate on this? I am interested in learning more about what you mean.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by lastpage: 10:12am On Jan 21, 2012
@Theblessed
Listen!  God himself who created us all has favourite pikins too - the ISREALITES! [/b]Abi? God swore abundance blessing unto them - that he is their God and they are his people. Can we change that? No!!! That's how it is and remains.

What can the rest of the world do about that -[b] nothing other than being jealous.
 You see, that kind of jealousy that existed in the relationship between Joseph and his 11 brothers - they hated him because, he was the 'Apple of his father's eyes'. That's why the rest of the world hate Isreal - [/b]does it worth it? No! It's misery, and we're all are suffering because of it - where there's no love, how could there be joy?
[b]
As you can see the world hate the Jews because, they are 'loved'
.  God loves them and punishes them when they break his laws and then, forgive them when they plea for mercy and repent.  As you can see, it's an everlasting love, everlasting relationship no one can change!

I find these part of your post VERY INTERESTING!
I will start by reminding you that God is a God of Justice. Even in His favoritism, He completely rejects injustice!

And let me ask you again: Why  does "most" of the world hate the current day Israeli State? Is it out of jealousy? Or is it something else?
Let me also add a question to that: Is there another "Israel" (The Chosen ones of God) in the Bible, apart from the current Israeli state?

Let me offer a few opinions:
*Israel of today are NOT CHRISTIANS! They do not practice Christianity (Worship of God Father, through his son, Jesus Christ).
Their Religion is called JUDAISM!
*Isreal of today does not read the Bible, They read what is called the TORAH! shocked

*Israel of today (the political and geographical expression called Israel), is the ONLY COUNTRY in the world today that still practices the Evil APARTHEID SYSTEM!. The Bible says we are "equal" in the eyes of God but the Israeli state says its own citizens are more human than those it occupy!

*The current Israeli state is one of the very few that still uses "banned" Nuclear residue (Depleted Uranium!) on other humanbeings - The Palestinians.

*The current Israeli state has developed Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), it has refused to disclose and open up for inspections, it has refused to ratify the IAEA treaty on Nuclear Weapons, yet it has sought to incite the US and Europe to impose sanctions on other countries who want the same "power"! As a matter of fact, it has attacked and destroyed the Nuclear sites of other countries, (at least five countries) while amassing more Nuclear weapons for itself!
Even Iran which is a Muslim state and which the whole West vilifies, has not done a tenth of these atrocities!

*The current Israeli state of today is "a killer state"
that goes about murdering Scientist and eminent people of other countries in its "paronia" of insecurity! Of-course, you cannot impose security, security only comes from Justice. As long as there is injustice (to a whole nation of people), Insecurity is just a by-product of injustice, you cant separate the two.

*Israel of today starves kids, destroys their schools, wantonly kills their mothers and turns the Palestinian lands into ONE BIG, OPEN JAIL!
*Israel of today is stealing other peoples land and is so greedy that it is not even willing to return some of these lands, for "Peace Guarantees"!

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THE ISRAELI STATE OF TODAY? Can Good (God is Good) and Evil (what the present day Israel has become) live harmoniously together?

The above are just some of the REASONS PEOPLE DISLIKE THE Israeli state of today!.

God has certainly rejected the present day Israel, WHEN THEY REJECTED AND CRUCIFIED HIS SON! Till today, they still rejects Jesus Christ as the only son of God and that is why they still practice "Judaism" and not "Christianity"!

And what did the Apostles say about Israel of today?
Romans 9:6-8
It is not as though God's word has failed (his original promise to Israel) For not all those who are descended from Israel are Israel. (7) Nor because they are his descendants, are they all Abraham's children? On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned. (cool In other words, IT IS NOT THE NATURAL CHILDREN (Israelis of today) WHO ARE GOD'S CHILDREN BUT IT IS THE CHILDREN OF THE "PROMISE" (those who profess Christ and are redeemed from sin) who are regarded as Abraham's offspring!

Going further down to buttress the above, Verse 25 reads
As he says in Hosea, "I will cal them MY PEOPLE, who are NOT MY PEOPLE",  , (27) Isiah cries out concerning Israel: Though the number of Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only THE REMNANT WILL BE SAVED!

And that "REMNANT" was explained in Romans 11:1-5, 11., especially verses 5 and  11 which l quote here
(5) So too at the present time, there is a remnant CHOSEN BY GRACE (not by birth or lineage!). (11) Salvation have come to the Gentiles (remnants) to make Israel envious!
You may say Gods words are never reversed but we all know this "assertion" is not true! Recall how he reversed his promise to Samuel (1Samuel 2: 30; "I promise you (Samuel) that you and your house shall minister before me forever but 'Far be from it', those who honor me will l honor and those who despise me will l despise".

In Israel today, church elders are not called Pastors, Apostles, Reverend as is in Christianity (not that it is the most important thing, just to show how "UnChrist-like" they have become), but they are called RABBI (teacher in Hebrew) but the Bible through Jesus says in Mathew 23: 9-11 "Do not call anyone on earth RABBI" or "FATHER" (Christian father as against biological father) but call yourselves "brothers".

For lack of attention span and space l would have gone on to show you more and more of how the Israel you are referring to above, is NOT THE STATE OF ISRAEL AS WE HAVE TODAY!
The "Israel" the Bible refers to, is ANYONE who professes and practice Christ, his ransom sacrifice and and resurrection, and is "born again" in Christ.

David said of the current Israeli state of today in Romans 9:7, 9
God gave them a spirit of stupor,   ,  .(9) May their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them, May their eyes be darkened so they can not see and their backs be bent for ever

In summary, the world is no more jealous of today's "political and geographical Israel" than they are jealous of China, as a thriving or militarily strong nation.
Most of the world dislike Israel for its atrocities to the nation of Palestine and its people. Its not jealousy in any way!. its a shameful nation.

By the way, this response has nothing to do with my religion but for the records, l am a Christian by faith.

Cheers.

Lastage

BTW: That your purple color got our attention all very well and l do understand why it needed to but to even put everything in PURPLE & BOLD is "an attack on Tinubu the eyes! Some peeps call it "shouting in public"! shocked shocked lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does The LOVE For The Neighbor Still Exist? / Is She Really Pregnant? / Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.