Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Any Juju In Soccer? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Any Juju In Soccer? (3308 Views)

"Juju" In Football Is Real - Polo / During My Playing Days, I Used Juju – Taribo / PHOTOS!!! Super Eagles Player Yussuf Ayila Discovers Juju In Wife's Wadrobe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Juju In Soccer? by Akolawole(m): 3:44am On Mar 17, 2006
Is There Any Juju In Soccer? Controversial topic.

Does it Work?

Is it just psycholgical phenomenon?

Recall that prior to 1994 World cup qualification match in Abidjan, Nigeria got a tip-off not to shake their hands with their opponents in Elephant of Cote-Divoire, believing that they will soil their hands with vodoo. We did not shake their hand but we eventually lost 1-2.

My Past Experience(s).

1) Shooting Stars Vs Tonnere Kalala(cameroun)
1984 African Champions league in Ibadan.
Thephilous Abega collected a pass beat Friday Christopher and the dribble past Raymond King(Goalkeeper) and place the ball directly towards the middle of the goal post, everybody in the field had said "Thats a goal" only for the ball to bounced, bounced and turned away from the pole. I can never forget it.

2) Stationery Stores(Lagos) Vs 3SC(Ibadan)
National league in 1992 in Ibadan
Because they always cause trouble, i sat within the Flaming Supporters.
3SC got a penalty, while the Stores players were arguing with the Referee, their Supporters brought one big-stomach juju man around our stand, he was holding a big padlock, covered with so many juju attachments. He was to lock Taofeeq Malik. Within a twinkle of an eye, he locked Taofeeq, he missed the penalty.

Senegal and South africa had once in a while linked with Vodoo to help them win soccer as well.

Do you believe this Juju inspired Victories?
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by bluenubian(f): 5:08am On Mar 17, 2006
i dont believe there is any juju in soccer, all those stories were brewed by die hard fans and would like to take soccer to the next level. they sleep, eat, drink and play soccer. so why not make it fun or maybe even scary
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by bluenubian(f): 5:09am On Mar 17, 2006
definitely a psychological phenomenon
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by nobody2: 9:25am On Mar 17, 2006
from ur write up one will be able to know that u are already convienced on the topic but i know most of us are not.
if the juju is working let any juju man challage a country by promising them world cup of take the equivelent punishment.
the so called juju men are into games, they collect their pay and tell u for sure u are winning but if u loose, he will give u more than conviencing reasons for ur loosing.
pls let me get the juju assurance and i will joing the supper eagle from no where.
for senegalese, forget them, they are still in the dark days. the country is full of what they call marabu both in and outside the field.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by lordimpaq(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2006
Guy u must be imagining things, things happen as a result of God's will, so, shelf juju, its not real
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Lolyda(f): 10:56am On Mar 17, 2006
Nothin like that!
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Lolyda(f): 11:12am On Mar 17, 2006
Nothin like that
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by burteeone(m): 11:16am On Mar 17, 2006
nothing like juju or what u calls it, it is all about physical technique, preparation and lucky. grin grin grin
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by nightrider: 11:31am On Mar 17, 2006
i watched a program on super sport 3 about fulham football club. It was said that papa bouba diop walks around fulhams field spraying chicken blood and reciting incantations. For real. Not kidding.

Upon all the juju, fulham still cannot win, can't play in champions league, can't buy a good striker, can't get a good coach. Can't beat chelsea,. arsenal, manu, or liverpool, can't play in UEFA cup or even inter toto. they just can't do crap.

So people do juju but it doesn't work. if it did Cote d iviore would have won world cup by now.

No juju in the world can stop a thierry henry shot from blasting fulhams net, even if the native doctor stands there himself. the shot will blast him, his juju, his juju pot and bouba diop into the net. and the scoreboard will say GOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by lordimpaq(m): 1:13pm On Mar 17, 2006
Preach on preacher, nothign can stop King Henry and his subjects ffrom scoring goals, it could have been more

if na cow blood or duck blood, nothin dey happen

na we (gunners) dey carry champions league and we dey qualify for champions league sef, nothin dey happen

tell them, !
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Akolawole(m): 1:57pm On Mar 17, 2006
In a documeanary i watched about a year ago. Senegal supporters claimed they used juju on France in the world cup and it worked.

Let me quote two former players

Rashidi Yekini: If there is juju in soccer, Africa ought to have won the world cup since

Felix Owolabi: Its abolutely nonsense!

A camerounian friend once told me about Etoo.
He said he must travel to Yaounde every two weeks to perform some rituals

Secondly, he remind me of Tunisia 2004, where Etoo did not score a single goal in the group stages. He said he throw his boot to the crowd, travel urgently to yaounde, came back fresh to face Nigeria in the quarter finals and scored with his "new boots".

I eventually called him a tribalist because he came from Anglo-Cameroun while Samuel came from Francophone Cameroun.

Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by opeyemi(m): 3:26pm On Mar 17, 2006
Really I'm not so sure IF there's JaZ in football or not. All i know is that my friends in the secondary school who are footballers says yes to it at times as a result of there experiences. And I also know that sometime ago during Nigeria-Ghana 2000 nations cup in lagos, Nigeria succeded in scoring goal and winning the game only after Kashimawo Laloko went inside the net and removed something. He said that the senegalese has planted JUJU in the net and no goal can go in until it is removed. We scored immediately at the resumption of the second half of the match i.e. after the JAZ was removed.

But I cant still say yes/no to the question.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by pampam(m): 3:30pm On Mar 17, 2006
@Akolawole pls give us good topic to yan about next time,i mean real topic, this one sounds superstitiuos .if truely it works nigeria would have won a ticket to d world cup.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by twinstaiye(m): 3:34pm On Mar 17, 2006
As long as there is prayer in football, juju exist too. Have you not seen those players now praying everytime the match is about to start. Heaven help those who help themselves, using juju is also part of helping oneself, we may not believe in it, but I sure want to believe it exist. What can we say about Uanzekin cross during the U-23 world cup in Holland? What about the Egyptians and the Morrocans reciting Holy Quran during the matches? All these are spiritual, and juju too is spiritual in nature.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Akolawole(m): 3:45pm On Mar 17, 2006
@Pampam

Its not compulsory for you to comment on this, you can just read and move on to better topics

@TwinsTaiye
Good analysis though

@Opeyemi
Thanks, i remember that incident.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by theORAKU(m): 4:29pm On Mar 17, 2006
This thread reminds me of the gist of how india was banned from playing football?
It was flowing around back then in the days. How true it is, no one knows but it was damn funny!

The gist had it that they(INDIA) brought jazz to the field and were changing the ball to all sorts of frightful animals like lion, tiger etc.
Gist even had it that they won the team they played by 100goals to nil.

This cud be a proof of juju in football.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by nightrider: 4:34pm On Mar 17, 2006
that india gist is fake
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by dafman(m): 4:52pm On Mar 17, 2006
If all the juju works why has no african team used that juju to win the worldcup.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by elten: 9:10pm On Mar 17, 2006
akolawale
plz it seems u want to use this thread to insult eto'o or just say something indirectly but u should have come out plainly instead of beating abt the bush. why why tell all these lies abt a Cameroonian friend who told u whatever rubish abt eto'o.? abeg that one now na big jelousy. na u sef talk that one no cameroonian from where ever no tell u anything like that. it seems u are even confused at one time u say there is no juju and now this yr statement comes to conclude that u belief there is juju in football.coz from yr naration to this story it shows u confirm eto'o truely visits a marabu. too bad if u can say that. anyway, yr openion does'nt count. both u and yr so called cameroonian news vendor. the football wey that boy know both u and yr friend, no body arround una go ever play am. juju or no juju sammy sabi that round object. no argument lipsrsealed
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Akolawole(m): 9:13pm On Mar 17, 2006
@Elton

Its not your fault that you dont read my post very well.

Anyway,this is a forum sha.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by elten: 9:27pm On Mar 17, 2006
akolawale,
                well, i don't even see any idioms or parables in yr posts so i understand u perfectly well. anyway it's just a forum like u rightly said. cool
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Akolawole(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2006
@Elten

You are a new member. No wonder!

Sorry o!

Welcome to Nairaland.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by elten: 10:27am On Mar 18, 2006
akolawale,
                  new or old member would not stop me from seeing the truth. by the way what's new abt me?. all the same thanks a million 4 wellcoming me on nairaland. it seems u're so concentrated giving reception to all new members. emmmmm i can see how  receptive u are. cheesy
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by babaragold(f): 7:43pm On Mar 18, 2006
akola, akola,
                  plz na about juju use for soccer u de talk. then why u choose to display that eto'o pic wey e look like that? abi u de just try to proof say the boy de do juju for football.? plz that guy has'nt got any such tatoo on his chest. remember my last post where i told u. that u are jelouse of eto'o and u tried to refuse now it's the samething u've just done displaying his picture as one of those who use juju to play ball. common boy u don't have a match 4 this guy so why not just quit jelousy and like him for what he is? infact no form of juju can play football. samuel eto'o Fils knows and plays admirable football whether we accept it or not. and u from yr analysis of this, only a fool will not see it that u are trying to say eto'o uses juju to play plz just quit this it's an advice to u as a collegue cool
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by ekitikete(m): 9:40pm On Mar 18, 2006
We are from a tradition or culture that is deeply oriented toward juju or voodoo belief system and it is often very difficult to be completely divorced  from this line of thinking.  That is why soccer clubs of old are wont to consult juju men (or in some cases put them on their payroll)  on the false assumption that they have the power to conjure spirits that would help them them win matches. Similar thinking is employed when in activities of human endeavor that can only succeed by dint of hard work and extra effort, most people would simply jettison hard work and ask a babalawo to help out.
I remembered in 1984 during the Club Championship final in Lagos, 3SC then known as IICC was pitched against Zamalek of Egypt at the National Stadium in Lagos.  IICC so much believed in juju that they were bold to use the score board to dish out incantations - "ofo" - and their babalawo was visible with his fetish, running from pillar to post.  IICC needed only a goal to win the championship but the goal did not come despite all their scheming. Matter of fact they played Zamalek half field throughout the encounter, yet they could not turn it to advantage.  Even the famous mathematical Segun Odegbami lost a penalty.  What is the lesson?  Juju does not win matches but hard work with prayer to crown the effort of the team with success does.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:03am On Mar 23, 2006
who is thunder balogun

i heard this guy used juju, in the myth against india, scored the winning goal 99-1 to india but we won because he scored n broke his leg in the process

"the ball turned to a rock " shocked
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by theORAKU(m): 3:41pm On Mar 24, 2006
i heard that gist before. Ologundudu thunder.

Fake or true, its funny.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by nightrider: 5:28pm On Mar 24, 2006
where have you ever read in fifa - NFA or newspaper reports that Nigeria ever played india.

all these crappy stories people spread in primary school

99 - 1 my ass, wouldn't that be a world record for goals.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by bluenubian(f): 11:13pm On Mar 27, 2006
thats right Nightrider
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by teeroy(m): 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2006
i think the juju factor in soccer is mainly a psychological boost for teams but it can only carry u to an extent.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by Priscila(f): 10:09am On Apr 03, 2006
I read about juju in soccer in papers.

I read Cote D'voire qualified for CAF after ten years of winning the cup.
Simply because the gov refused to pay jujumen who made them win the cup in 1992.
Now in recent CAF the gov settled the bills with those jujumen an d Cote almost won The cup.

About E'too I ve heard those funny stories in grapevine but for the love I have for his football I adore him. If it helps him then well and good. Its a matter of the mind.
Re: Any Juju In Soccer? by nightrider: 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2006
the only juju Eto is using is Ronaldinho and Deco

(1) (2) (Reply)

Micheal Essien V Mikel Obi / Anthony Joshua Posing With His Mother At Pre-fight Gala Dinner In Saudi Arabia / Who Is The Fifa U17 Highest Goals Scorer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.