Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

W3school Teaches False Standards - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / W3school Teaches False Standards (1629 Views)

Why US Released New Design Standards For Its Websites / Video Software That Teaches How To Design Professional Websites. / Dhtml Teaches Phemour html (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

W3school Teaches False Standards by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 26, 2012
Very interesting article, am sure of us must have felt different about w3schools.
http://w3fools.com/
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by yawatide(f): 1:43am On Jan 26, 2012
1) Just like i tell ppl not to conclude on a bible passage, based on one chapter and verse, you are not to trust everything one source says. You should try multiple sources and "trust but verify" as Reagan would say.

2) As "bad" as it may be, it isn't all that bad, if at all. I often go there for a quick reference
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2012
@yawa Ha as for the bible part no comment oh, its not that bad but it has some important things it fails to touch that are neccessary like e.g JavaScript it completely skipped Clsoures which is what is unique about JavaScript and is a crime not to touch on.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 26, 2012
I have seen some questionable stuffs in their writeups from time to time - but i just keep quiet - say werrin be my own?
And i know there are better resources of course. In my class tutorials, the number of references i had to w3schools were very few, because most of the time i find better articles, clearer - more crossplatform and less confusing.
What they have is that - they have done their site a long time back to they have very high search engine ranking and popularity. It stops there.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Frosti(m): 7:13pm On Jan 26, 2012
Damn! And to think that google trusts them so much as an authoritative source of web designing tutorials. Search for any html stuff and you see w3schools right on the first page.

Google really needs to work on their argorithm more.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 26, 2012
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by dhtml5: 7:37pm On Jan 26, 2012
I considered the google algorithm too and cannot fault them. There ranking system is documented and clear.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by yawatide(f): 7:47pm On Jan 26, 2012
Frosti:
Wikipedia is also full of misinformation but that doesn't stop it from being #1 when you are doing research-type searches.

Search engines rank pages based on relevance and not accuracy.  Furthermore, search engines will rank websites that are research-oriented (as far as organic search goes) higher than commercial sites.  Research even bears this out as most people will not click on the results in the sponsored section.

Finally, google doesn't need to tweak its algorithm for w3schools - Google and Youtube (owned by google) are the #1 and #2 most used search engines (yes, youtube is a search engine, albeit for video) in the world.  Also, I recently read somewhere that the #1 most searched word on yahoo.com is "google" - go figure! I also read that google owns at least 60% of the search market.

If you find that a site isn't as good as you want, you have 3 choices: either stop visiting it, come up with you own that is more accurate, or visit another site that you think is more relevant.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by dhtml5: 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2012
^^^double gbam!!
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Frosti(m): 12:20am On Jan 27, 2012
Ok. Learnt.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Afam4eva(m): 12:44pm On Jan 27, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

Finally, google doesn't need to tweak its algorithm for w3schools - Google and Youtube (owned by google) are the #1 and #2 most used search engines (yes, youtube is a search engine, albeit for video) in the world.  Also, I recently read somewhere that the #1 most searched word on yahoo.com is "google" - go figure! I also read that google owns at least 60% of the search market.

If you find that a site isn't as good as you want, you have 3 choices: either stop visiting it, come up with you own that is more accurate, or visit another site that you think is more relevant.

They actually do. Google gives authority sites like Wikipedia, W3schools etc preferential treatment in their search because they see these sites as authority sites. That's why you always see wikipedia at the top of search engine results even though there are websites that have more backlinks and other factors than them.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by yawatide(f): 1:18pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^ No they don't. We are pretty much saying the same thing, albeit in different ways. Authority site = Relevant site. My general point being that google shouldn't favor any one site as far as organic search goes. All sites, within a given category, should be given the same treatment and not say, change its algorithm simply because someone says it has "falsehoods".
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Afam4eva(m): 1:21pm On Jan 27, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

^^ No they don't.  We are pretty much saying the same thing, albeit in different ways.  Authority site = Relevant site.  My general point being that google shouldn't favor any one site as far as organic search goes.  All sites, within a given category, should be given the same treatment and not say, change its algorithm simply because someone says it has "falsehoods".

emmmm? I agree with the fact that google shouldn't give preferential treatment to any authority site but they do actually.
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by yawatide(f): 1:44pm On Jan 27, 2012
they do actually? Based on what? Documentation to support your claim please
Re: W3school Teaches False Standards by Mobinga: 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2012
I thought this has been known for a long time?

I don't use any of that stuff, I get from the platforms docs.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Install Kunena On Joomla 1.5 / Unable To Upload A 6 Minutes Viral Video To Nairaland. I Need Help / Need Help Using Mozilla Thunderbird For Yahoo! Mail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.