Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Software Packaging - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software Packaging (1749 Views)

Check Out The Mobile App That Provides Packaging Info / Need Help In Packaging My Java Files (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software Packaging by adexbols: 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2007
Hi gurus.
I have a project but I don't really know how to package it.
Packaging in the aspect of it become a bundled project.
Probably making it an executable file.
I'll be happy to know the procedures to going about it.
Re: Software Packaging by Kobojunkie: 12:34am On Oct 16, 2007
adexbols:

Hi gurus. I have a project but I don't really know how to package it. packaging in the aspect of it become a bundled project. probably makinh it an exectuable file. i'll be happy to know the procedures to going about it.

There is no way from what you posted there that anyone can give you the very best answer possible. You will have to ELABORATE more on what you actually intend to accomplish in your bid to PACKAGE this software of yours. Give more detail so we will not have to spend the next 5 days trying to figure out what exactly it is you need help with. We tech people are not necessarily mind readers.
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 7:34am On Oct 16, 2007
What I mean is that I have a web application but it's in a folder form. I want to make it an executable program(.exe) that is, in a bundled/package form(a file) which means that whenever I click the file, it autorun itself by starting the server and then opening a web browser. hope u got that?
Re: Software Packaging by Kamali(m): 9:39am On Oct 16, 2007
What is your development platform ,i mean ASP,ASP.Net,JSP etc
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 12:32pm On Oct 16, 2007
It's actually an OFBiz application which involves jsp, java and also xml files.
Re: Software Packaging by Kobojunkie: 12:35pm On Oct 16, 2007
What exactly do you mean when you say it should auto run itself?? You mean the first page opens and then you input content to trigger events and what nots??
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2007
for the application to work, i need to start the server , then also put the the url. so I want there to be a way that I can do all these processes at once .itself

i.e starting the server, then loading a web browser and the web browser to navigate to the url link all automatically.
Re: Software Packaging by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On Oct 16, 2007
I believe in the case of web applications, you will need to have the server be on before you can run any application. I am not sure if there is a way around that at all. If you can write code to automatically turn on the server on click, then that is one thing but I am not sure I would go that way.
If your server is not already running, it will be unable to handle the incoming request resulting from someone browsing your URL. Why would you want to turn it on and off on-demand anyway?
Re: Software Packaging by churchill5(m): 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2007
i understand what u wanted to do, but u are in a local server , u dont have to make ur web application to launch the server automatically. when u host ur application, u can now call up ur application by the address.
Re: Software Packaging by IG: 6:33pm On Oct 16, 2007
I don't know which server you are using but I know there must be a way of starting it from the command line.
Put the command in a batch file followed by a command to launch your browser with the appopriate url.

1- create a file with any name and a .bat extension e.g startapp.bat
2- Put the following in it

a. command to launch your webserver e.g c:\apache\bin\apache.exe
b. command to launch your browser e.g iexplore http:\\localhost:pathtoapp

Note that iexplore launches internet explorer and opens any url passed to it.

the bat file acts like a program executing the commands inside it. Run it to lauch your app.

but I believe there is a way of making your web sever run as a system service such it starts when the
operating system starts and stops when the operating system stops. If you can make it that way the
you dont have to worry about starting the server. All you need then is a web shortcut on your desktop
pointing to the url of your app.

Hope that helps
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 11:13pm On Oct 16, 2007
@ IG

I'm really very greatful for your assistance  and i also appreciate the other people's efforts.

but i still need help on how the server can start automatically as u said earlier. i tried the solution u gave but the iexplore http://localhost:port/app batch file didnt work
Re: Software Packaging by IG: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2007
To be sure that the problem is from the iexplore line, try this

First make sure your web server is running

go to start menu -> run and enter the command iexplore <url of you app>

Inernet explorer should start and go to the url you specified.

By the way, which webserver are you using ?
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2007
that one worked but the batch file didnt. i'm using OFBiz as my webserver

or better still. tell me the commands to put again in my batch file to upload my url.10x
Re: Software Packaging by IG: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2007
I've never used OFBiz server but I understand that it's some kind of application server.
Now you need to research a little and find out how to start OFBIz server from the command line.

Go to Menu->Accessories->command prompt

type in the command to see if it works.

Now open a new text file using notepad

Type in the command that starts OFBiz server
Type in the command to open your url in the browser like you did using the run menu

save the file with a .bat extension. Note that notepad appends .txt to whatever file you save.
To avoid that put the file name in quotation e.g "startapp.bat" to avoid getting startapp.bat.txt from notepad.

Now double click on the batch file to run the commands inside it.

Hope that helps.
Re: Software Packaging by tomX1(m): 6:48pm On Oct 19, 2007
The batch file should work but you need to include the keyword "start" before iexplorer; like this

start iexplore http://localhost/mysite.com

enjoy!
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 3:45pm On Oct 22, 2007
I'm really very grateful forr your support. It really helped me to solving the proble m.

wink winkbut I still have a problem which I would still need your help for smiley smiley

I do install the application folder manually(copy and paste )whenever i want to deploy it on a new system. Can you please tell me how I can do an auto installer, that runs whenever i insert my CD so that it will auto run and also request the directory where the folder should be installed 10x a lot
Re: Software Packaging by adexbols: 10:16am On Oct 30, 2007
@tomx

i'm really gr8ful but i need the server to start first before the explorer.
Re: Software Packaging by tomX1(m): 12:39pm On Oct 30, 2007
Hi,
If you intend to start the server first, just put the line of bat command to start the server before that of the one to start explorer.
I would advice you try a server like Apache (it bundle in WAMP5). It's a free, powerful open source server and ussualy auto runs with your system.

To create a folder or manipulate folders on your system you can use so many scripts. If you want to use your bat file to do that do something like:-

if not exist "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop\Your Folder" mkdir "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop\Your Folder"

most programing languages support these thing . To learn more on bat file use your F1 key to launch windows help and run a search on .bat, or bat files or cmd file.
Re: Software Packaging by buddie(m): 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2007
Talk to Guru BODE,what you need is a batch file to exe. grin, at a little cost anyway.I'm presently not in the country.i dey my village.we talk anyway.
Re: Software Packaging by theboy0808(m): 4:03am On Oct 31, 2007
Since your topic says "software packaging" this is useful if you are packaging sofware
Installshield
It will help you organize, package ur software and and then make it an executable file
"setup.exe"

One catch though it ain't free!

Try google, there might be free ones or even a torrent download for installshield
Re: Software Packaging by Binary(m): 1:54pm On Oct 31, 2007
Gates loses title as world's richest man.accordint g to cnn. you can read more from this link.
www.news.com/2100-1001-239838.html
Re: Software Packaging by SmartK1(m): 2:24pm On Oct 31, 2007

Gates loses title as world's richest man.accordint g to cnn. you can read more from this link.
www.news.com/2100-1001-239838.html

Pleeeeaaaseee, next time u are posting information try and confirm how updated the information is. This article was written in the year 2000, u can guess how current it is.

Good luck.
Re: Software Packaging by IG: 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2007
Installshield ain't free but you can try NSIS (nsis.sourceforge.net)
It's free and very powerful.
Re: Software Packaging by buddie(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2007
Have you made any progress so far? cool
Re: Software Packaging by buddie(m): 5:11pm On Oct 31, 2007
http://www.ezau.com/latest/articles/autorun.shtml

[autorun]
open=Filename.exe
icon=Filename.icon

thats about all,just edit and make sure the exe files is in the parent directory.
Re: Software Packaging by akinelias: 10:06pm On Oct 31, 2007
hi,

u people are wonderful, i wish am able to make reasonable contribution like you.

please how do i go about it,where to start and how, please help
Re: Software Packaging by proxies(m): 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2007
thank you guys for the contributions but i think we wont mind getting more here

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Making Me Lose International Web Development Jobs :( / Tutorial On Java Micro Edition, Very Urgent! / I Can Use Vb.net Perfectly But Pls How Can I Write A Phone Application With It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.