Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,891 members, 7,821,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? (9895 Views)

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by igbolagosa: 3:22pm On Feb 03, 2012
look how far away nigeria/ igboland is from the americas. most of slaves coming from nigeria must have died before dey get to caribbean. it is centre of africa, i doubt dey can walk all that way to slaveships and then take boat from nigeria to caribbean
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by Ptolomeus(m): 3:44pm On Feb 09, 2012
igbolagosa:

look how far away nigeria/ igboland is from the americas. most of slaves coming from nigeria must have died before dey get to caribbean. it is centre of africa, i doubt dey can walk all that way to slaveships and then take boat from nigeria to caribbean
Dear friend:
The fate of the slaves was not only the Caribbean but also Salvador de Bahia (Brazil) and the ports of Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Montevideo (Uruguay) from where they were distributed to the rest of South America.
It would be a mistake to think that slavery of Africans was the greatest genocide in human history. Precisely, historians agree that the greatest number of deaths of Africans was not in the period of slavery, but in the shipment.
In the land transfer and the first deaths occurred, in the holds of ships rampant disease and were full of people in the worst conditions of health and food. Historians agree that the vast majority died either on the voyage and were thrown into the sea, or upon arrival, their health conditions were so bad they were abandoned on the beach, without even being buried.
It is outrageous the little diffusion had these savage acts, the historical silence of these massacres ,
One issue really painful , My respectful greeting
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by redjasper1: 5:57pm On Feb 10, 2012
Ptolomeus:

It is outrageous the little diffusion had these savage acts, the historical silence of these massacres ,
One issue really painful , My respectful greeting

It is very painful. The european and arab slave voyages did an enormous scale of damage to Africa.

Most scholars estimate the number of slaves who survived the middle passage between 1441 to 1888 to be in the range of 15-17 million and the number of slave deaths related to the middle passage to be between 50-100 million. However both being estimates the numbers could very well be more. It's very painful and frustrating, going back and researching the revolts across the atlantic always gets my mood back on the up and up. What happened on the Marlborough ship in 1752 of William Lougher just tickels me to death!
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by Ptolomeus(m): 6:16pm On Feb 10, 2012
red jasper:

It is very painful. The european and arab slave voyages did an enormous scale of damage to Africa.

Most scholars estimate the number of slaves who survived the middle passage between 1441 to 1888 to be in the range of 15-17 million and the number of slave deaths related to the middle passage to be between 50-100 million. However both being estimates the numbers could very well be more. It's very painful and frustrating, going back and researching the revolts across the atlantic always gets my mood back on the up and up. What happened on the Marlborough ship in 1752 of William Lougher just tickels me to death!

Dear friend:
The figures indicate that you are real, and express the magnitude of that terrible genocide. I insist that considering the population of Africa in this period was the biggest genocide in history.
Deserves a chapter of the form of extermination , We're not talking about a war, but helpless people chained in the hold of a slave ship , For the value of these lives was less than that of an animal.
Entire villages were razed disappearing culture, traditions and beliefs.
I pay tribute here to the suffering from those who were victims of these murderers, as well as those who survived, and across the Atlantic, despite the chains, managed to keep alive their traditions, which still continues today
Please accept my warm greetings!
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by DaRapture: 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2012
Africa owes us reparations.  angry Especially Nigeria, Angola and the Senegabian region.
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by redjasper1: 10:39am On Feb 15, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend:
The figures indicate that you are real, and express the magnitude of that terrible genocide. I insist that considering the population of Africa in this period was the biggest genocide in history.
Deserves a chapter of the form of extermination , We're not talking about a war, but helpless people chained in the hold of a slave ship , For the value of these lives was less than that of an animal.
Entire villages were razed disappearing culture, traditions and beliefs.
I pay tribute here to the suffering from those who were victims of these murderers, as well as those who survived, and across the Atlantic, despite the chains, managed to keep alive their traditions, which still continues today
Please accept my warm greetings!

Always friend! smiley
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by cheikh: 8:50pm On Mar 01, 2012
igbolagosa OP

@ It's the usual stories and lies we like to tell ourselves as a people and we like to make silly claims on everything as if it's a trophy or competition shocked sad.
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by Abagworo(m): 10:00pm On Mar 01, 2012
DaRapture:

Africa owes us reparations.  angry Especially Nigeria, Angola and the Senegabian region.

Not really. I think the white men owe all of us more than just reparations.
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by BuffaloSoldier(m): 4:05am On Mar 02, 2012
Rapture,

Let Africa keep her reperations, Look at her now, Karma is a bitch and very ugly indeed! Before coming here, I didnt know that Africans had such disdain for Black Americans, As if our ancestors asked to come to America, MANY of them were sold for western items by other Africans(I hope some jackass doesnt come in here and try to dispute this, the evidence is udeniable). Much respect to the ancestors for being strong and surviving the voyage, Things have worked out for the better, We've accomplished more in 60 years then any other "black skinned-- Yes u Africa, FACT, We gained rights in a country that had out people enslaved, hung, raped and beaten to death, We r getting better with education, despite what some of these people here believe, Many of us have GREAT jobs, They only speak of the ghetto asif that is the majority, I dont think any African should lecture us about poverty, I mean, African counties r the among the poorest in the world, Nobody gave us shit, we took it, I dont understand how some Africans have the audacity to think they r better then us, lol, r u kidding me? I never knew how bad it was until i came here, what a eye opener.Our purchasing power is getting stronger and stronger, Despite what some people think on this board, We do have our own culture(not just fukin hip-hop and pants saggin'), I've been to many countries, We r the most IMITATED people on God's green Earth, FACT, We all know that imitation is the greatest form of admiration!

My point being is, I hate the idea of reperations, Our reperations is living in a country where you can become who u want with hard work and dedication, We dont need shit from Africa brother! Stop it, let them live their lives and we live ours, Again, Im not mad at you Africa, Im pretty sure if they knew what the outcome would have been, they would have went without the comforts of Western products that they swapped out fellow Africans(our ancestors) for, No disrespect to the people here who speak intelligently about this type of topic and aren't "jaded" by the stereotypical "negro" the media like to put out there,
Re: How Can Most Slaves Come From Nigeria? When Nigeria Is Near Centre Of Africa? by Ptolomeus(m): 3:40pm On Mar 02, 2012
Abagworo:

Not really. I think the white men owe all of us more than just reparations.
Dear friend:
I do not know if you mean to me.
I am a foreigner. I do not speak of the African reality, but what happened in my country and in America. I can not comment on the issue of reparations, that is for the Africans. I simply commented that historical facts can not be denied.
Please accept my greetings.

BuffaloSoldier:

Rapture,

Let Africa keep her reperations, Look at her now, Karma is a NaughtyWoman and very ugly indeed! Before coming here, I didnt know that Africans had such disdain for Black Americans, As if our ancestors asked to come to America, MANY of them were sold for western items by other Africans(I hope some jackass doesnt come in here and try to dispute this, the evidence is udeniable). Much respect to the ancestors for being strong and surviving the voyage, Things have worked out for the better, We've accomplished more in 60 years then any other "black skinned-- Yes u Africa, FACT, We gained rights in a country that had out people enslaved, hung, violated and beaten to death, We r getting better with education, despite what some of these people here believe, Many of us have GREAT jobs, They only speak of the ghetto asif that is the majority, I dont think any African should lecture us about poverty, I mean, African counties r the among the poorest in the world, Nobody gave us poo, we took it, I dont understand how some Africans have the audacity to think they r better then us, lol, r u kidding me? I never knew how bad it was until i came here, what a eye opener.Our purchasing power is getting stronger and stronger, Despite what some people think on this board, We do have our own culture(not just fukin hip-hop and pants saggin'), I've been to many countries, We r the most IMITATED people on God's green Earth, FACT, We all know that imitation is the greatest form of admiration!

My point being is, I hate the idea of reperations, Our reperations is living in a country where you can become who u want with hard work and dedication, We dont need poo from Africa brother! Stop it, let them live their lives and we live ours, Again, Im not mad at you Africa, Im pretty sure if they knew what the outcome would have been, they would have went without the comforts of Western products that they swapped out fellow Africans(our ancestors) for, No disrespect to the people here who speak intelligently about this type of topic and aren't "jaded" by the stereotypical "negro" the media like to put out there,

Dear friend:
I reiterate that I am a foreigner, and as such must respect the internal affairs of Africa.
What you say is very true. Sometimes it seems that whoever is far from living a life in opulence, and forget the pain and suffering of all who lived.
Only those who lived in slavery can understand that.
Only a migrant knows what is the segregation and scorn.
But they are all Africans in African blood in his veins, his ancestors are the same ,
I do not think there is contempt, and if I had I do not share.
Let's call for unity, not division.
Best wishes!

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System / Igbo Tribal Marks And Their Meaning / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.