Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

The State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (19082 Views)

The State Of Hostels In Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo / Meet The State That Have 15 University In Nigeria / Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by tpia5: 7:36am On Feb 04, 2012
what on earth is going on!!!!
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IZUKWU(m): 8:00am On Feb 04, 2012
State of english language ? Is it state of origin or what ? He is definitely a foreigner here. English is not my mother tongue.it is my l2.according to my use of english courses at the university. Is it written english or oral english that is your problem. I think generally, nigerians fare better in written english than in oral english which most public secondary schools only teach at s s 3. Even i still misspronounce words with l and r. All mocking through secondary school and university couldn't even rid me of that.the level of english is affected by learning,exposure and your mother tongue.
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:04am On Feb 04, 2012
I wonder as well. tpia undecided
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IZUKWU(m): 8:06am On Feb 04, 2012
But come oh! What concerns english with lomance ?
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ArQueBusieR(m): 9:50am On Feb 04, 2012
And what are you doing to salvage the situation. Creating topics?
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by cynthiafred67(f): 10:05am On Feb 04, 2012
Mtcheeew
Very lomantic
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Mynd44: 10:09am On Feb 04, 2012
Bullisht
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by slimyem: 10:15am On Feb 04, 2012
its not like its new.
We have terrible english language communicators all over Nland.
Opening this thread is no solution.
Besides,this isnt even the right section for it.
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Killz3(m): 10:16am On Feb 04, 2012
This is the most romantic topic today! undecided +100
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by freecocoa(f): 11:18am On Feb 04, 2012
Was wlong with the enrish state for nigeria? I doesn't noticing something bad for it o, undecided
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by claremont(m): 11:36am On Feb 04, 2012
It is not peculiar to Nigeria, a shockingly high percentage of people in England (the home of English language) cannot read or write as well. What's the fuss all about!
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Tosinville(m): 11:47am On Feb 04, 2012
Whatz up english lang & romance together? Tpia on shepe
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by dabrake(m): 12:04pm On Feb 04, 2012
T[/b]ila[b]PIA, get busy for once. Try drawing actor and boss. Nonsense
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Mynd44: 12:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
claremont:

It is not peculiar to Nigeria, a shockingly high percentage of people in England (the home of English language) cannot read or write as well. What's the fuss all about!
I was chatting to an English Teacher in England once and she confirmed it
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IbroSaunks(m): 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2012
Mynd_44:

I was chatting to an English Teacher in England once and she confirmed it
#GBAGAUN grin grin grin
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by hbrednic: 8:33pm On Feb 04, 2012
Engrish is not a state tongue tongue
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 8:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
so what do we do?
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by BABE3: 8:51pm On Feb 04, 2012
Examples of Typical "Nigerian Englishes";

"In case of incasity”

“Are you hearing me”

“What is it by your time?”

“Can you hear that smell?”

“I’ve returned it back”

“Reverse back”

“Please help me to shift”

“She gave birth to a male son”

“Keep for me space”

“Raise up your hand”

“Come and start going”

“Let’s be going first”

“I will soon slap you now”

“They’ve taken light”

“I came to your office and met your absence”  EPIC! cool

“Just face your front”

“Yesterday night”,

“Off your phone”

“Your head is not correct”

“I’m finding my pen”

“Come and be going”

“Why are you siding her?”

Tenk God I yam a Finns.  grin
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Agimor(m): 8:55pm On Feb 04, 2012
English seen easy speaking than putting it down in black and white.
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IbroSaunks(m): 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2012
Smh in ancient zulu!
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by slimpoppa(m): 9:03pm On Feb 04, 2012
BABE!:

"In case of incasity”

“Are you hearing me”

“I’ve returned it back”

“Reverse back”

“Keep for me space”

“Raise up your hand”

“Come and start going”

“Let’s be going first”

“They’ve taken light”

“Just face your front”

“Yesterday night”,

“Off your phone”

“I’m finding my pen”

“Come and be going”

Hahaha!!! I yam laughter.
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 9:04pm On Feb 04, 2012
claremont:

I agree with what claremont stated. I recall presenting the definition of Nature to some people (presumably Americans) as follows: the material world, especially as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities. One person said that I presented a definition which implied that humans aren't part of Nature. A clear case of poor English comprehension.
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2012
@BABE, lolzzz. How about this, " I will tell my mummy for you"
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Soocool1(m): 9:23pm On Feb 04, 2012
BABE!:

"In case of incasity”

“Are you hearing me”

“I’ve returned it back”

“Reverse back”

“Keep for me space”

“Raise up your hand”

“Come and start going”

“Let’s be going first”

“They’ve taken light”

“Just face your front”

“Yesterday night”,

“Off your phone”

“I’m finding my pen”

“Come and be going”

u left out these ones
- i donate my family on behalf of 20 million

- my husband did not eaten since morning

- he might be dead but his manhood lives on
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IYANGBALI: 9:33pm On Feb 04, 2012
abeg leave is alone jor inglesh was not is language more over inglesh his not dollar,pounds or naira.How meny oyinbo peoples cn spoke is nigerian language,pls abeg stop promotion of inglesh language here. IT IS A FREE WORLD TABON MEN
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by vb0mb(m): 9:52pm On Feb 04, 2012
The poster was born and brought up in England. @op are u fluent in speaking your native language?
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by richkids1(m): 10:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
Really speaking seems [i]"gooda" [/i]than writing it down,

Many people out there can deliver good speeches but, let them write it down, writing like that of hen with rubbish smiley
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by IYANGBALI: 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
vb0mb:

The poster was born and brought up in England. @op are u fluent in speaking your native language?
pls ask hisbut eye doesn,t think so
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 04, 2012
IZUKWU:

State of english language ? Is it state of origin or what ? He is definitely a foreigner here. English is not my mother tongue.it is my l2.according to my use of english courses at the university. Is it written english or oral english that is your problem. I think generally, nigerians fare better in written english than in oral english which most public secondary schools only teach at s s 3. Even i still misspronounce words with l and r. All mocking through secondary school and university couldn't even rid me of that.the level of english is affected by learning,exposure and your mother tongue.
Your ignorance smells like stench of rancid butter! You should be glad your country is English speaking one. There are many countries world over which are interested to be fluent in English language, for the simple reason it is the world recognized language of communication in business circles and others!

Dude, it is an advantage to be literate in English! If you didn't know it before know it now!
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 05, 2012
all4naija:

Your ignorance smells like stench of rancid butter! You should be glad your country is English speaking one. There are many countries world over which are interested to be fluent in English language, for the simple reason it is the [size=14pt]world recognized language of communication in business circles and others!
[/size]
Dude, it is an advantage to be literate in English! If you didn't know it before know it now!

I disagree with the bolder part, its among world language and not the only language. we have french, Spanish.mechetra mechetra. What was i saying if u doesnt likes the english speak by me please kiss the nearest suck closed to you and make sure it is a deeps kisses. grin grin grin
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:10am On Feb 05, 2012
^^^^

Tell that to WTO! The last time I check English language is the official European Union assembly language!
Re: The State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 05, 2012
^^ And whats WTO the man wey sabi englishes,

Try removes your speck before u remove your neighbors own, was i correct in my English.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Departments In NDA? / Micheal Okpara University Of Agriculture Male Hostel Burnt By Fire / Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.