Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:20 PM

UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? (1515 Views)

May I Know The Top 4 It Certifications For 2011? / Cheap It Certifications In Abuja / It Certifications Or Degree - Which Way To Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by ochukoccna: 2:58pm On Feb 07, 2012
Hi y'all wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
I'm caught in a quandary regarding how to proceed my in IT journey undecided undecided undecided undecided
I've worked as an IT trainer and currently own a cafe but my undergraduate degree isn't in IT
I'm very interested in Networking Technology and used to hold a CCNA [it expired this year] along with my MCSA
Right now,I'm thinking of going to the UK for a Master's program around April/September to cover my academic deficiency and because I'm thinking of becoming a University lecturer sometime much much later
Yet due to the cost, I'm also thinking about networking& security certifications like the CCIE,UNIX, CEH and SANS/GIAC Institute offerings i.e. build my own Cisco lab for hands on training and go to India/other countries to sharpen my skills
Please share your insights
I would really appreciate it grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thanks wink wink smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by ochukoccna: 3:01pm On Feb 07, 2012
If I may add I hold a CompTIA A+ cert and know my way around hardware and desktop support& networking at that level.
Re: UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by yamakuza: 7:06pm On Feb 07, 2012
ochukoccna:

Hi y'all wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
I'm caught in a quandary regarding how to proceed my in IT journey undecided undecided undecided undecided

i notice you've had this problem since 2008.

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-107828.0.html

How have you fared?

Your story might inspire one or two people, if you share.

I've worked as an IT trainer and currently own a cafe but my undergraduate degree isn't in IT

with IT, it doesnt matter what your BSc is in or isnt.

What matters is the passion/drive, and sometimes: acumen.

I'm very interested in Networking Technology and used to hold a CCNA [it expired this year] along with my MCSA.

Right now, I'm thinking of going to the UK for a Master's program around April/September to cover my academic deficiency and because I'm thinking of becoming a University lecturer sometime much much later.

why UK?

You have plans for life after graduating there?

Yet due to the cost, I'm also thinking about networking& security certifications like the CCIE,UNIX, CEH and SANS/GIAC Institute offerings i.e. build my own Cisco lab for hands on training and go to India/other countries to sharpen my skills

if you are thinking of coming back to Nigeria, the India option gives you better ROI.

[s]You can always do your MSc here and lecture.[/s]

Please share your insights
I would really appreciate it grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thanks wink wink smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

just did, or tried to.

Now, share your inspirational story.

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-600485.0.html
Re: UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by ochukoccna: 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2012
i notice you've had this problem since 2008.
How have you been faring?
Your story might inspire one or two people, if you share.

2008, I don't recall posting about this as a problem before or even in 2008.
The quandary is really how to advance my career.

with IT, it doesnt matter what your BSc is or isnt.
What matters is the passion/drive, and sometimes: acumen.
True, but most employers have a bias for academic degrees along with certs

why UK?
You have plans for life after graduating there?
UK is about the only country that has one year conversion courses for graduates who lacked a significant amount of computing in undergraduate study.
Please do you know any other country that offers such?
American, German, Canadian schools don't seem to offer such.
University of Cape Town offers such a program but it's duration is 2 years
That's too long;also the longer the program runs means more expenses to drain the student's pocket. wink wink wink wink

if you are thinking of coming back to Nigeria, the India option gives you better ROI.
You can always do your MSc here and lecture.
Another Nigerian degree? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I don't think so.
The abysmal standard of Nigerian education makes that obvious innit especially when you are talking about science and engineering courses.
I believe the India route would be far so ideal if all one sought to do was work in the industry, as a technologist and ultimately a consultant.

just did, or tried to.
Now, share your inspirational story.
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-600485.0.html
I saw pmy's link sometime last week and his story made me think I could get superior insights especially from industry insiders if I posted about my situation.
Like I said,I'm already conversant with Cisco, Microsoft, hardware and an average of Linux&Wireless technologies.
Going to India will broaden my industry acumen, I know, yet its my quest for academic strengthening in the same field which is putting me at this crossroad.

Thanks yamakuza for taking time to read through and reply
Appreciate it
Look forward to more insights from you  and others to help make the right decision.
Re: UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by yamakuza: 7:12am On Feb 12, 2012
ochukoccna:
The quandary is really how to advance my career.

True, but most employers have a bias for academic degrees along with certs

UK is about the only country that has one year conversion courses for graduates who lacked a significant amount of computing in undergraduate study.
Please do you know any other country that offers such?
American, German, Canadian schools don't seem to offer such.
University of Cape Town offers such a program but it's duration is 2 years
That's too long;also the longer the program runs means more expenses to drain the student's pocket. wink wink wink wink

Another Nigerian degree? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I don't think so.
The abysmal standard of Nigerian education makes that obvious innit especially when you are talking about science and engineering courses.

I believe the India route would be far so ideal if all one sought to do was work in the industry, as a technologist and ultimately a consultant.

I saw pmy's link sometime last week and his story made me think I could get superior insights especially from industry insiders if I posted about my situation.

Like I said,I'm already conversant with Cisco, Microsoft, hardware and an average of Linux&Wireless technologies.
Going to India will broaden my industry acumen, I know, yet its my quest for academic strengthening in the same field which is putting me at this crossroad.

Thanks yamakuza for taking time to read through and reply
Appreciate it

Look forward to more insights from you  and others to help make the right decision.

Seems answers are still needed.
Re: UK Postgraduate Study vs IT Certifications: Which Way? by yamakuza: 11:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
Seems no one wants to answer the 3 remaining questions?

(1) (Reply)

“why I Left My Job At The Bank To Become Dangote’s Truck Driver” – PHD Holder Po / Its Almost Resumption Date For Afriscope Academy. Take Advantage Of This / 17 Free GIS ESRI Courses [professional Certifications]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.