Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,036 members, 7,953,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. (14795 Views)

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin? / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... / Why Do Black People Bleach Their Skins? Effect Of Bleaching Creams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by kemmeye: 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
so regular people can puke everytime they pass them by
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ImaIma1(f): 4:16pm On Feb 08, 2012
theres a diff btw bleaching and toning. some pple use toning creams to maintain their complexion and not change it.

but d problem is whn an outrightly dark person wants to be fair.i see dt a lot in yoruba actresses,no insult implied.

my friend dt even startd actin in yoruba movies has strtd bleaching too.

it makes them look hideous, with unnecessary facial hair growing, stretch marks appearing in diff places, green, and purple veins everywhere.

their legs are terrible.some cnt even xposed their legs anymor

aside, the health implications, its an eye-sore.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by BlueMurder(m): 4:42pm On Feb 08, 2012
As a result of a vicious attack of inferiority complex, people try to play God and burn their fingers while at it.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
I think it is an individual thing. People should have right to their body. If it makes them happy they should go ahead and do it. Some whites do it too. When black person does it it becomes inferiority complex. When white does nose enhancement or job it becomes right,but when black does it is complex. The real issue is what bleaching level is enough for an individual or else it is left to whoever engage in it to decide.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Damitism: 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
Can u all answer this question? HAVE ANYONE HEARD OF A CASE BEFORE WHERE A WHITE-MAN (born like dat) USED A CREAM OR WHATEVER TO CHASE HIS/HER SKIN TO BLACK?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Damitism: 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
Can u all answer this question? HAVE ANYONE HEARD OF A CASE BEFORE WHERE A WHITE-MAN (born like dat) USED A CREAM OR WHATEVER TO CHASE HIS/HER SKIN TO BLACK?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Damitism

Many whites tan, it's the closest they can go of becoming dark.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by hermosa(f): 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
@ ima ima i love your answer grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ikaboy: 5:55pm On Feb 08, 2012
Hmmm. very irritating act. especially when i see men bleaching. for my "Yoruba" sister in the south west, they rely on bleaching so as to be as charming as my sister from the south east.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by sunkoye: 5:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
I heard Alao Akala imported excess containers of tura creams and soap, hence, demand and supply theory at work.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ImaIma1(f): 6:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
@all4naija.whether a white person is trying to be black or a black person is tryin to be light,its either they have deep issues or dey r suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ImaIma1(f): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2012
D white pple lie in d sun 2 tan or whtever.d black pple dt "bleach" use cheap destructive things like soda.

When dey start,it seems ok bt wit time dey look dirty n pitiful.

I hv hd a neighbour 4 like ten yrs n I hv neva seen her legs.she wears trousers everyday 2 work n at home.even around d compound.d rumour is dt she destroyd her legs wit bleachg.

I see girls goin 2 cosmetic shops 2 mix creams and I jst shake my head.whts d obssession about?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by scribble: 8:20pm On Feb 08, 2012
they wanna resemble kim kardashian, or tonto dikeh.

its really sad, these girls gather round the TV and watch E! and other nonsense, and think the solution to their problem is to become fairer. After which the world will revolve around them, Ben Bruce will give them a KIA and M-Net will give them a reality show.

Some of the finest women are not fair, think Iman, Tyra Banks, Nia Long, Jennifer Hudson, etc etc etc

It's a psychological thing I think the onset of which when girls are in primary school and they see that light skinned girls get all the attention, which is a phase us guys go through until we get older and notice what really makes a woman fine.

I think women that bleach have deep psychological issues and should be referred to Yaba Left for counseling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
So I can be fine well well.

why is that a problem?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Wallie(m): 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
Some black people are bleaching their skin to become "white." While most whites go through great lengths to get their skin dark even at the risk of cancer by exposing their bodies to the sun or going to a tanning salon. Whites even make fun of each other when a white person has no tan (too white) and is very "pale."

So why are blacks trying to be white when whites are trying to be black?

IMHO, ugliness and low self esteem! The bleaching cannot help with the ugliness because just as you have ugly black people, you have ugly white people and you’ve just become an ugly multi-colored person!

I guess the bleaching might help with the self esteem issues as you could feel better about yourself.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Emmaesty(f): 8:30pm On Feb 08, 2012
Some ladies(esp. d black ones) bleach because dey think dat men are attracted to light-skinned girls(yellow pawpaw). Personally,i think it's all a lie cos dere are still men out dere who prefer dark-skinned ladies(african queens) to d fair ones.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Wallie(m): 8:31pm On Feb 08, 2012
To those who bleach:

When you bleach your skin, you get rid of the melanin (dark pigments) in your skin. Melanin is what protects your skin from harmful sun rays. Whites don't have melanin in their skin (which is why they're white) and they have to compensate for it by using Sunscreen lotion to protect their skin.

If you're going to bleach your skin, which is your choice, you should be using Sunscreen lotion (SPF-15 or better) when you're going to go into the sun because your skin no longer has the protection it needs against the sun.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Emmyk(m): 9:28pm On Feb 08, 2012
To hide from their shadows. Lawd have mercy. . .
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by saibuhari(m): 10:05pm On Feb 08, 2012
"I'm proud of my color,
anyone who is not proud of his color is not fit to live", Christopher Columbus

Above statement as quoted was made by James Aggrey of Ghana - not Christopher Columbus.

Having said that, I strongly believe that bleaching is disgraceful act. No sane person is expected to bleach his or her skin. There is just no justification for bleaching. QED!
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Theblessed(f): 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2012
[size=16pt]You mean why do some Nigerian women bleach their skin?

Well, there is a socio-cultural demand for it and where there's demand for a particular product there's bound to be supply for it.

Una men like Oyibo skin - dem like women with fair, yellow skin colour etc, abi? They prefer fair skin women when their own mothers are as black as coal. 

In showing this kind of preference in skin colour, indicates they hate themselves and share the same attributes as the late Jackson. cool

So, that's the answer you been waiting for, and because of this reason, most Nigerian women with issues of confidence, low self esteem, assertiveness and difficulty attracting the opposite sex, goes out of their ways in poisoning their own skin, in order to get this attention grin grin

What else, can lead a person with out African skin beauty do outrageous things as this if not the above and the ignorance that goes with it? Tell me more, I need to know!

[/size]
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 08, 2012
I don't think it is my business with what people do with their skin.

People seek different means to beautify themselves and we should respect their rights and choices.

We should however caution them on any medical risks that might be involved,

With regards to people saying it's inferiority complex, how about Caucasians that spend billions annually on tanning ? Tanning just like bleaching has its side-effects too.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by johncasey1(m): 1:07am On Feb 09, 2012
I can't stand peeps who bleach wit their Fanta faces, 7up bodies & Coca cola Legs.its so annoying
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ajaomo: 3:24am On Feb 09, 2012
ask yoruba women
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by iceblock(m): 6:15am On Feb 09, 2012
Why Do People Bleach Their Skin?

I believe they lookin for fine girl/boy connection cheesy
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ekwynwa: 8:11am On Feb 09, 2012
aja.omo:

ask yoruba women

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by chucky234(m): 8:42am On Feb 09, 2012
Laughing but seriously is toning one's same thing ass bleaching? If yes is the answer then every Nigerian woman bleach because all we have in our comestic shops are lightning and toning cream with names like Mary Kay,L'roy,Channels,Fair & White and so many other. How many people today use Vasline or Swiss collagen? 90% of creams in US,Canada and Europe have whitening properties and that's to say that everyone on NL bleach and if you think you don't bleach then send me the name of your cream so I can confirm the composition.
Mary Kay and Clinique has well blended and balance whitening properties dermatologically tested,moisturizers use to be like petroleum jelly but today have some degree of lightning properties to enhance the skin texture.
I am a very dark person though have a very sensitive skin that's why I take my to study the properties or composition of these creams,Collagen based cream used to help firm the skin but today they all even-tone.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by 4teelaw(f): 9:09am On Feb 09, 2012
scribble:

its really sad, these girls gather round the TV and watch E! and other nonsense, and think the solution to their problem is to become fairer. After which the world will revolve around them, Ben Bruce will give them a KIA and M-Net will give them a reality show.

Some of the finest women are not fair, think Iman, Tyra Banks, Nia Long, Jennifer Hudson, etc etc etc

It's a psychological thing I think the onset of which when girls are in primary school and they see that light skinned girls get all the attention, which is a phase us guys go through until we get older and notice what really makes a woman fine.

I think women that bleach have deep psychological issues and should be referred to Yaba Left for counseling.

For your information all dem babes you mentioned above de TONE wella! And most body creams nowadays have skin whitening agents, just that 'hydroquinone' the major skin bleaching agent is no longer legally used.

Rihanna wey de bleach sef, una never attack am yet! tongue
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by stealthninjax2: 7:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
Well, for some people they have a skin condition where white spots appear, then they bleach their skin to even out the skin tone. Example = Michael Jackson
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Limaoscar: 12:01am On Feb 10, 2012
Dem dey bleach because dem wan yallo wink
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 6:08am On Feb 10, 2012
@queen smith are you serious?
you are comparing bleaching to weave on ? oya lets break it down

for one bleachin is permanent weave on is not! bleaching has a health risk weave on does not (except you want to say needles which could be same for injection or barbing your hair) need i go on? there is a big reason weavon and bleaching ar not in the same category!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 6:12am On Feb 10, 2012
@OP people bleach because they are not content with the way God made them. it is in the same category as bosom jobs, permanent make up, sex change operation etc It is not a small enhancement of ur beauty such as fixing nails, fixing hair or putting makeup, it is a significant change which requires a big commitment that u can often never go back from!!!
it is also used when it is required medically such as a skin diesease or you boobs are too heavy for you frame etc
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 6:13am On Feb 10, 2012
tonto dikeh dey bleach for state

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Lassa Fever Story By Doctor Chibuike Joseph Chukwudum / World Sleep Day Is On 15 March 2013 / Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.