Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 (18689 Views)

Great Ife Alumni And Undergraduate Hook Up Joint. / Great Ife: Tell Us Your Experience On Oau Campus / OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:02am On Feb 09, 2012
Hey, Great Ife Nairalanders, our alma mater/school hits 50 this year and celebration is everywhere, not surprisingly, trending on Twitter for Lagos and Nigeria since yesterday. NL shoudl not be left out of the party too.

So, this is a thread to celebrate Great Ife, share memories and experiences etc,

1, Seun
2, Dayokanu
3, Jarus
4, Spikedcylinder
5, CyberG
6, Eastbay
7, Loma
8, Pcicero
9, TKB417

and other distinguished Great Ife Nairalanders, let's set the ball rolling.
smiley
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by chamber2(m): 9:19am On Feb 09, 2012
Let me be the first to congratulate IFE @ 50

Ife is one of the institutions i respect in 9ja.

All hail the greatest of the greatest IFE

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by olapluto(m): 9:22am On Feb 09, 2012
My first day in Ife, I will never forget, My first lecture in Ife, I will never forget baba Fakunle, I remember my first evening at Moz, I remember a forgettable day at old buka, I remember risky burger in Angola for 50 naira. If not for OAU, I would not be as bold as I am today. Long live great Ife
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:23am On Feb 09, 2012
Jarus - Economics 2001-2006

Ife made me and I thank God I attended that school because it is a good model of egalitarian society where nobody is above the law. Very free, challenging, competitive, motivating.

Now, on a lighter mood, I can't forget teh following events/places/people

Awo Hall
Aro
July 10(wasn't in school yet, but celebrated every year)
Will exam hold?
ewa day
Awo cafe
Awo common room
Maximum shishi
Iya egin
old buka
new buka
Fabroo
Expy
Jingo
Awo mosque
battle of the stone(lol)
ekaaro se fooso o
dapo
etc etc
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:24am On Feb 09, 2012
ola_pluto:

My first day in Ife, I will never forget, My first lecture in Ife, I will never forget baba Fakunle, I remember my first evening at Moz, I remember a forgettable day at old buka, I remember risky burger in Angola for 50 naira. If not for OAU, I would not be as bold as I am today. Long live great Ife
Thanks bro.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:29am On Feb 09, 2012
I lived in Awo hall from year 1-4 and no dull moment in that hall. Too lively.
Year 1(Awo Self Help); Year 2-4(Awo Block 7)

I didnt do aro but you can't help enjoying it.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by ugopeter(m): 9:39am On Feb 09, 2012
Still a student of Great Ife, though in ma part 2, have had many experience. One of it was wen i went 2 visit a friend @ Awo(stay in town), a woman was experiencing d other side of Awo boys who said her son she came 2 visit looked liked their landlord. D woman was so annoyed and was almost going 2 fight dem but 4 d porters dat came 2 diffuse d wahala
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by slimshady1(m): 9:44am On Feb 09, 2012
CONGRATULATIONS! 2 da great O.A.U. A.B.U wl b 50 ths yr 2! Its gna b a whle lotta celebrationz

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Afam4eva(m): 9:45am On Feb 09, 2012
@Jarus
How you take know say all those people go OAU. Is a school field included on the nairaland registration page?

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by cindylee: 9:47am On Feb 09, 2012
2004-2008. I lived in Moremi in  my first year and finak year. 2nd year was spent in Ladoke Akintola Hall a.k.a sports hall. One of the dirtiest hostels I have ever stayed in my entire life. 3rd year was spent squating from one room to another beginning from town igboro(however it is spelt). I liked reading in Amphi theatre especially at night. Too many distractions but I love reading in a noisy place. I so  much liked risky burger and coke while sitting under those trees in frot of oduduwa hall.

I loved my fellowship then- R.C.F. Still miss it though as all these churches we have cant't be compared to the raw fire brand fellowships in schools then. I met Jesus on O.A.U Campus in my 1st year and spent so many years praying in sports complex. It really formed me.

Academic life was hectic. Reading as if there was no tomorrow. I can't even go back and do my masters there because I will read my eyes out. Great Ife!

One last thing, I enjoyed the aluta especially during elections. I campaigned for Diamond in my second year even though I did't know him personnally. He was a fine boy cheesy and gave us mirrors. lol
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Afam4eva(m): 9:49am On Feb 09, 2012
@Topic
Ife is the second indigenous university in Nigeria after UNN and UI which was the first university in Nairaland. They should use this celebration as an avenue to discuss ways to bring back the lost glory of IFE. I remember that there was a time people were scrambling to go to Ife among other prestigious schools but nowadays anybody i meet in Lagos wants to go to Unilag and maybe Ibadan and UNN.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by arrived(m): 9:49am On Feb 09, 2012
Jarus, let me add to that your list :
ko ye wa O
mummy, omo yin jo landlord
O lo to ni lagere
Town igboro
Egba wa O
Igi iwe eso odo
etc
Happy birhtday great Ife, oba awon university
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by akinnux(m): 9:51am On Feb 09, 2012
Great Ife has come of age. Great salute to the founding founders, staff, students and all the alumni that have pass through this great school. Congratulations on this golden jubilee anniversary.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 9:53am On Feb 09, 2012
afam4eva:

@Jarus
How you take know say all those people go OAU. Is a school field included on the nairaland registration page?
It takes Great Ife to know one.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 9:54am On Feb 09, 2012
Oba awon Universities.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 9:58am On Feb 09, 2012
Oba awon Universities.
Would never forget my first night on campus. Angola hall, Room H,

Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by tjmadrid: 9:59am On Feb 09, 2012
Greatest gbo gbo, Greatest Ife, of the greatest, greatest, greatest Ife. OAU will always be an unforgetable moment in my life because you tend to gain everything in Ife if you did not allow the university to pass through you. Moz 101, Awo block 4 rm121, Awo Block 3 Rm33, Awo Block 2 Rm 23 and Awo Annex Rm321( Math Room). I really miss OAU and am using this medium to wish OAU Happy 50th Anniversary
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 10:02am On Feb 09, 2012
After my Angolan sojourn in my first year, the next 4yrs was in Awo hall.
Nothing like Awo Hall. No dull moments at all. fajuyi guys really missed a lot.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 10:03am On Feb 09, 2012
afam4eva:

@Topic
Ife is the second indigenous university in Nigeria after UNN and UI which was the first university in Nairaland. They should use this celebration as an avenue to discuss ways to bring back the lost glory of IFE. I remember that there was a time people were scrambling to go to Ife among other prestigious schools but nowadays anybody i meet in Lagos wants to go to Unilag and maybe Ibadan and UNN.
While I admit the 'strike notoriety' affected Ife, I believe it is still easily one fo the Top 5 most sought after university in Nigeria. With such huge long-stay-in-school disreputation, it takes greatness for teh school to still maintain that spot.

The decline in glory is not an isolated case, it is a reflection of the fallen standard of tertiary education in Nigeria as a whole and like any other first generation university, OAU is also affected.

Yet I don't believe UI attracts more prospective varsity students than Ife today. Unilag, yes, because it is sited in a cosmopolitan city. UNN, like ABU, tribal factor plays active role. An average easterner dreams of UNN, average northerner ABU but average Southwesterner decides between Ife and UI, and probably Lag.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 10:06am On Feb 09, 2012
The best of the best thing i also took away from Ife is my Lovely wife. She is simply the bomb. OAU Ife Thank u.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 10:06am On Feb 09, 2012
Demdem:

After my Angolan sojourn in my first year, the next 4yrs was in Awo hall.
Nothing like Awo Hall. No dull moments at all. fajuyi guys really missed a lot.
Faj na dull place. For awon omo butter, awon omo mummy.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Jarus(m): 10:10am On Feb 09, 2012
cindylee:

2004-2008. I lived in Moremi in my first year and finak year. 2nd year was spent in Ladoke Akintola Hall a.k.a sports hall. One of the dirtiest hostels I have ever stayed in my entire life. 3rd year was spent squating from one room to another beginning from town igboro(however it is spelt). I liked reading in Amphi theatre especially at night. Too many distractions but I love reading in a noisy place. I so much liked risky burger and coke while sitting under those trees in frot of oduduwa hall.

I loved my fellowship then- R.C.F. Still miss it though as all these churches we have cant't be compared to the raw fire brand fellowships in schools then. I met Jesus on O.A.U Campus in my 1st year and spent so many years praying in sports complex. It really formed me.

Academic life was hectic. Reading as if there was no tomorrow. I can't even go back and do my masters there because I will read my eyes out. Great Ife!

One last thing, I enjoyed the aluta especially during elections. I campaigned for Diamond in my second year even though I did't know him personnally. He was a fine boy cheesy and gave us mirrors. lol

We know all you fellowship people voted for Diamond grin grin
Saburi, Saburi ayi ayi o
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 10:12am On Feb 09, 2012
Jarus:

Faj na dull place. For awon omo butter, awon omo mummy.

Dont mind them. Dem they always do this holier than thou thing. The numerous pastors/fellowship libraries probably has a role here IMO undecided
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Stdomain(f): 10:21am On Feb 09, 2012
Greatest of the Greatest of the Greateeeeessssstttttt IFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
menh, I miss Ife,
Entered Ife in March 1998 and graduated in 2002.
Stayed at Moz N10, (Next to the smelling Bathroom, lol)
Stayed at T8, cool room mates
wow! I have so many fun memories, ALUTAS wen MKO died, Aluta for ABACHA must go and some days later, ABACHA died, Black saturday (July 10 1999), I was reading at BOOC dat nite wen d big boys came, can't forget the panic, AFRIKA, RIP.  remember EFOSA IDAHOSA
Remember risky burger at Angola, How can I forget AWO BOYS, dey made our lives hell in MOZ.
remember PROF OMOLE OOO.
My wonderful CHARIS family,
BLW, CLF,CASOR OAU, sports center, then dat fellowship dat holds during exams, cant remember the name
I remember my faculty, ADMIN
Amphi,motion round, new buka,old buka,humanities,health sciences,Law, white house, yellow house,Rotunda,forks and fingers,
DAPO
ROGERS
LEGACY
Greatest of the Greatest of the GREATEEESSST IFE
3 gboza for u
GBOZA! GBOZA!! GBOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by cindylee: 10:22am On Feb 09, 2012
Jarus:

We know all you fellowship people voted for Diamond grin grin
Saburi, Saburi ayi ayi o

Why we no go vote for am? He was cool, intelligent and fine  wink. And that Saburi guy was too notorious for our liking. The day he won eh, you needed to see Moremi hall! I miss Ife sha.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 10:22am On Feb 09, 2012
Jarus:

We know all you fellowship people voted for Diamond  grin grin
Saburi, Saburi ayi ayi o

i could still remember that evening vividly. i was in block 8 Awo when one guy kept running towards the building hysterically and panting heavily. we all were concerned and thinking of hearing another sad news like the Africa debacle. after much waiting he declared, " Obirin ti gba Ijobaooo. Won ti gba SUG" (the ladies have seized power, they are now occupying the SUG building) Come see curses Guys heap on this fellow. was really a scene grin grin  grin
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by olawalebabs(m): 10:33am On Feb 09, 2012
Great Ife @ 50
One of the few Universities that you can always count on
The university that have shaped other University
The university that shape my person
Congrat
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Demdem(m): 10:33am On Feb 09, 2012
St.domain:

Greatest of the Greatest of the Greateeeeessssstttttt IFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
menh,  I miss Ife,  
Entered Ife in March 1998 and graduated in 2002.
Stayed at Moz N10, (Next to the smelling Bathroom, lol)
Stayed at T8, cool room mates
wow! I have so many fun memories, ALUTAS wen MKO died, Aluta for ABACHA must go and some days later, ABACHA died, Black saturday (July 10 1999), I was reading at BOOC dat nite wen d big boys came, can't forget the panic, AFRIKA, RIP.  remember EFOSA IDAHOSA
Remember risky burger at Angola, How can I forget AWO BOYS, dey made our lives hell in MOZ.
remember PROF OMOLE OOO.
My wonderful CHARIS family,
BLW, CLF,CASOR OAU, sports center, then dat fellowship dat holds during exams, cant remember the name (UJCM - Fellowships come together to form them except the funky ones like BLW,CLF etc) grin grin grin
I remember my faculty, ADMIN[b] (Yes oooo, those of us at the spyder building regards u guys that litter the basement of ur faculty as NFAs - No Future Ambitions grin grin) [/b]
Amphi,motion round, new buka,old buka,humanities,health sciences,Law, white house, yellow house,Rotunda,forks and fingers,
DAPO
ROGERS
LEGACY
Greatest of the Greatest of the GREATEEESSST IFE
3 gboza for u
GBOZA! GBOZA!! GBOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by cindylee: 10:34am On Feb 09, 2012
Demdem:

i could still remember that evening vividly. i was in block 8 Awo when one guy kept running towards the building hysterically and panting heavily. we all were concerned and thinking of hearing another sad news like the Africa debacle. after much waiting he declared, " Obirin ti gba Ijobaooo. Won ti gba SUG" (the ladies have seized power, they are now occupying the SUG building) Come see curses Guys heap on this fellow. was really a scene grin grin  grin

Yes na, how we no go vote for am. Every body in my room then went out to vote. It was too cool!
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by stepo707: 10:41am On Feb 09, 2012
congrats OAU
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Remii(m): 10:45am On Feb 09, 2012
Great Ife.
Re: Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 by Topsido(m): 10:48am On Feb 09, 2012
All hail, Oba Awon University!
You make us feel superior!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? / WASSCE Candidate Contracts COVID-19 In Akwa-Ibom / Coronavirus: Kwara Govt To Shut Down Schools From March 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.