Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? (3970 Views)

Two Nairalanders Sign & Log Out As Health Educators; Bsc (ed). / Nigerian Law School First Class Graduates Reveal Their Secrets / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by babanne(m): 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2012
As an educator I have found out that Nigerian students are immature in their way of receiving their education.I wish many educators will find this topic and relate their experiences. For me, I will say a little and allow others to make their comments.Your sincere comments are very much welcome.

[list]
[li]One perennial problem we always have to deal with is examination malpractice[/li]
[li]Another is when students lack previous knowledge which makes it difficult for us to teach present one subject.[/li]
[li]Also disrespect/disdain/apathy from students[/li]
etc, etc,
[/list].

If you are an educator, can you relate your experience here?Thanks.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by redsquare(m): 5:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
I'm not an educator per se, but the only time i was opportuned to teach was during my NYSC in Kwara state. To my greatest surprise, SS1 students were being taught how to recite A,B,C,D in their English classes! I also found out that most of the teachers do not follow the school curricula. They're either too lazy to teach or they're not just motivated. These students will of course be promoted to the next class since nobody fails in schools these days.What do you expect the students to do when they are faced with an external examination like WAEC?
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by saska1122: 6:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
I don't know where to start. But must start somewhere, so please don't query my post not being sequential.

The problem we face in our school system today is a reflection of the larger society. Wealth and showing off the riches are the new moral values in Nigeria.
So students are in mad rush to make the money or show off the wealth of their parents. So to bend down is study is done by the negligible % of the student.
They must do anything to get the certificate in order to present it somewhere for money(literally). So any teacher or administrator trying to make them learn
in a proper way is an enemy. As such most Nigerian students are lazy, proud/arrogant and sometimes bitter of school authorities. About 30-50% of them are
not worth the degree and certificate they carry.
Then, there is the problem of private schools run by sole proprietors who only see the business(economic) aspects of the school not really the future of the society.

I have more, but got to get back to work! And I expect some bashing if this thread last long after all we hate the bitter truth about out country!!
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by GboyegaD(m): 6:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
babanne:

As an educator I have found out that Nigerian students are immature in their way of receiving their education.I wish many educators will find this topic and relate their experiences. For me, I will say a little and allow others to make their comments.Your sincere comments are very much welcome.

[list]
[li]One perennial problem we always have to deal with is examination malpractice[/li]
[li]Another is when students lack previous knowledge which makes it difficult for us to teach present one subject.[/li]
[li]Also disrespect/disdain/apathy from students[/li][/b]etc, etc, Very true.
[/list].

redsquare:

I'm not an educator per se, but the only time i was opportuned to teach was during my NYSC in Kwara state. To my greatest surprise, SS1 students were being taught how to recite A,B,C,D in their English classes! [b]I also found out that most of the teachers do not follow the school curricula
. They're either too lazy to teach or they're not just motivated. These students will of course be promoted to the next class since nobody fails in schools these days.What do you expect the students to do when they are faced with an external examination like WAEC?
Very true
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by oiseworld: 6:26pm On Feb 13, 2012
saska1122:

I don't know where to start. But must start somewhere, so please don't query my post not being sequential.

The problem we face in our school system today is a reflection of the larger society. Wealth and showing off the riches are the new moral values in Nigeria.
So students are in mad rush to make the money or show off the wealth of their parents. So to bend down is study is done by the negligible % of the student.
They must do anything to get the certificate in order to present it somewhere for money(literally). So any teacher or administrator trying to make them learn
in a proper way is an enemy. As such most Nigerian students are lazy, proud/arrogant and sometimes bitter of school authorities. About 30-50% of them are
not worth the degree and certificate they carry.
Then, there is the problem of private schools run by sole proprietors who only see the business(economic) aspects of the school not really the future of the society.

I have more, but got to get back to work! And I expect some bashing if this thread last long after all we hate the bitter truth about out country!!

seconded.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Vansnickers: 7:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
babanne:

[list]
etc, etc,
[/list].

Do you mean Nigerian Students in public Schools or private Schools, be more specific.
Saying Nigerian Students in general have Problems learning is a bit Shallow, IMHO.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Outstrip(f): 7:06pm On Feb 13, 2012
http://www.alumni.udss.com.ng/home/forums/portal-features/vimeotv/

You can forward to 2:00

This is how my former principal in Nigeria thought of us. When I joined the school everybody still talked about Mrs. Iweze and her spirit was in the air for a while. I saw things change a lot over the years but it was still a great school till I left it. When I see how much pride she had in the students and the school it makes me want to cry. Not that our students today don't have a responsibility but when you do not have teachers who have faith in you then what gives you that push. Educators today are just for the most part not fit for that responsibilty. I think we need to bring this spirit back.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by mpmp: 7:20pm On Feb 13, 2012
babanne:

[list]
etc, etc,
[/list].

question: are your observations peculiar to Nigerian students studying in Nigeria or Nigerian students in general?
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 13, 2012
Good responses so far, but I also want to highlight the dysfunctionality of our educational sector, specifically with regards to its orientation. I want to ask: Why MUST every Nigerian student have to go to university and polytechnic? What about our technical schools? Why don't we have dedicated schools of music, sports, fashion, art and crafts, engineering and other areas of human endeavour as degree-awarding institutions? Why should a University of Agriculture run a medical programme? Why can't we organize our educational sector to take into cognizance the unique abilities and talents of each child?

Our educational system must be reformed to fit our changing world and it must be made adaptable to each child's particular needs. Any approach that doesn't factor this in will be doomed to failure ab initio.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
redsquare:

I'm not an educator per se, but the only time i was opportuned to teach was during my NYSC in Kwara state. To my greatest surprise, SS1 students were being taught how to recite A,B,C,D in their English classes! I also found out that most of the teachers do not follow the school curricula. They're either too lazy to teach or they're not just motivated. These students will of course be promoted to the next class since nobody fails in schools these days.What do you expect the students to do when they are faced with an external examination like WAEC?
Please which part of kwara? I really need to know.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Shinor(m): 8:14pm On Feb 13, 2012
@Outstrip. I felt exactly the way you felt but that led me to take a major decision to be involved in the future of our current students.
All blame should not be dumped at the doorstep of the current students and teachers.
The current crop of uninspired teachers were the disgruntled students of a few years ago who read EDUCATION because they could not get into their first choice course. Also all the years of ASUU strikes have taken its toll on the quality of graduates produced. it is sad no one is pointing accusing fingers at ASUU for the role they played in destroying the future of the Nigerian graduate through incessant strikes and archaic teaching methods. How can a lecturer dictate the same course note for 10 years ? These crop of teachers have been joined by the graduates who roamed the streets seeking an oil company / bank job and only turned to teaching as a last resort. So you can see we have institutionalized problems already. Now how do these hapless teachers motivate a bunch of students who are daily bombarded with stuff on TV / Radio glorifying the easy route to success? BBA etc.
I seriously doubt if there are any training / refresher courses that teachers MUST attend after a certain number of years.
Are schools inspected regularly? I dare to say even if we have an inspection and grading system for schools, it would be abused with inspectors demanding and collecting bribes before grading schools accordingly.
Coupled with this is an inept and inefficient government who seem to prefer a total annihilation of the educational sector.
Two years ago I started Protege Leadership Academy ( www.protegeleadershipacademy.org ) after one of my visits to Nigeria to conduct a recruitment exercise for a British company. The quality of CV's I received from graduates made me weep.
The average Nigerian is the smartest person in the whole world.
Currently Nigerian girls are topping in the sciences in the UK ( girls category ). This used to be the exclusive preserve of Chinese girls. So I believe there's nothing inherently wrong with the ordinary Nigerian student. He is just a victim of his environment.
People let us join hands. What can you do? Every little help is required. I travel to Nigeria to hold a Young Leaders Academy programme to build leadership capacity in the current generation. I collect books from British Schools and donate them in Nigeria and Ghana. There's a lot we can do. Return to your secondary school and mentor someone today.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:16pm On Feb 13, 2012
Nigerian teachers are not par with international standards! Some of them cant speak and write good english but they are teaching SS1 english! Nigerian teachers need to be retrained,they need more incentives,if they arent been plain greedy,text books need to be revised and improved every two yrs. Provisions need to be made to ensure that the child is getting encouragement and support from home! Better schools need to be built,and kids that live far should be transported and so for the teachers; there should be a staff bus that can take the ones who doest have car home! Nigeria needs to do lots of work before our education standard can rise.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Shinor(m): 8:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
@HNosegbe. Thanks for your post.
I am looking forward to meeting our Minister of Education one day. I wonder what she thinks about
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Shinor(m): 8:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
@NRI PRIEST. Thanks for your contribution. Check my post.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by promire2004(f): 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
wow! What a nice thread we have here, @Ops, thumbs up. I had d rare opportunity of teaching in a community secondary school somewhere in enugu state during my nysc programme. D experience was sweet and sour. It was sweet in d sense that d few attentive students learnt a lot 4rm me and i got along with them. It was sour in that i rem hw stubborn d S.S.1 students (now in S.S.2) were. Y i stood in front of a some-what indifferent class trying so hard to be audible, others busied themselves wit psquare's music *e no easy*at d far end of d class. D windows were their exit, they seldom made use of d doors. Initially, i almost gave up on d students but gradually i earned their respect when they finally realized i was gud wit d subjects allocated to me (physics and mathematics). During d exams, i rem hw i gave a J.S.S.1 student a very hard knock on d head 4 cheating. Dat was d worst punishment i meted out on my student physically. The S.S.3 students were my favourites. They accorded me so much respect and it endeared me to them. But in all, it was an unforgettable experience. I can't stop thanking Baba God 4 his mercies!
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by nekaa(f): 9:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
i taught in two different skuls while my skul was on strike.1st a pry skul, where my studnts refered to me as 'girl', den a senior secondary skul where dey held demselves up high, dey where feeling untouchable, dats something i think their parent make dem belive, cause wen a child is disciplined in skul den d parent comes back to d skul to threat d skul's authority, d child would obivous begin to loses respect for his teachers.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Nija4Life(m): 9:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
Shinor:

@Outstrip. I felt exactly the way you felt but that led me to take a major decision to be involved in the future of our current students.
All blame should not be dumped at the doorstep of the current students and teachers.
The current crop of uninspired teachers were the disgruntled students of a few years ago who read EDUCATION because they could not get into their first choice course. Also all the years of ASUU strikes have taken its toll on the quality of graduates produced. it is sad no one is pointing accusing fingers at ASUU for the role they played in destroying the future of the Nigerian graduate through incessant strikes and archaic teaching methods. How can a lecturer dictate the same course note for 10 years ? These crop of teachers have been joined by the graduates who roamed the streets seeking an oil company / bank job and only turned to teaching as a last resort. So you can see we have institutionalized problems already. Now how do these hapless teachers motivate a bunch of students who are daily bombarded with stuff on TV / Radio glorifying the easy route to success? BBA etc.
I seriously doubt if there are any training / refresher courses that teachers MUST attend after a certain number of years.
Are schools inspected regularly? I dare to say even if we have an inspection and grading system for schools, it would be abused with inspectors demanding and collecting bribes before grading schools accordingly.
Coupled with this is an inept and inefficient government who seem to prefer a total annihilation of the educational sector.
Two years ago I started Protege Leadership Academy ( www.protegeleadershipacademy.org ) after one of my visits to Nigeria to conduct a recruitment exercise for a British company. The quality of CV's I received from graduates made me weep.
Currently Nigerian girls are topping in the sciences in the UK ( girls category ). This used to be the exclusive preserve of Chinese girls. So I believe there's nothing inherently wrong with the ordinary Nigerian student. He is just a victim of his environment.
People let us join hands. What can you do? Every little help is required. I travel to Nigeria to hold a Young Leaders Academy programme to build leadership capacity in the current generation. I collect books from British Schools and donate them in Nigeria and Ghana. There's a lot we can do. Return to your secondary school and mentor someone today.

I share your vision, I work as a secondary school teacher in the UK and incidentally I've just launched a campaign to collect books and donate to schools in Nigeria. I'm even planning on extending it further to coaching and mentoring young people, whom I believe will determine Nigeria's future. Despite the failings of our governments, past and present, I still believe we all have a moral responsibility to do our bit to support education back home.

More details are on my blogs:
http://www.apenandaheart..com/

and

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by member479760: 9:47pm On Feb 13, 2012
most educators need to move forward toward advance method of teaching and not only following the traditionally method only.
You can continue to use a method in which students suppose to totally load 3 years old materials in the brain.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by awireless: 10:20pm On Feb 13, 2012
Statistics and surveys show that every year thousands of Nigeria students miss admission simply because of lack of orientation, adequate preparation and timely information.
Four factors are responsible for admission success and failure into Nigeria universities namely Orientation, Information, Preparation and Connection.

Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:10pm On Feb 13, 2012
Shinor:

Bros,you perfectly struck on every single problem crippling our once envied educational system!
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by chrysso83(m): 11:15pm On Feb 13, 2012
I am a corper currently serving in Oyo state. NYSC has afforded me the opportuinity to teach. It baffles me the level at which education has detoriated to in some states. I think teachers re the main reason why our education is nose diving. Secondary school school students re been taught even english and maths in yoruba language. Students from college of education on teaching practice who cant put a few words together to form a correct sentence produce more than half of d work force in schools.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 13, 2012
I maintain that the biggest problem with our educational sector is its straitjacket approach which trains children to grow up to become good employees and civil servants (being a relic of the colonial era). Our educational systems must be designed to accommodate the various abilities and talents of Nigerian children and youth, whether such talents lie in academics, entertainment, sports, the arts, management etc and we must have SPECIALIZED institutions for each of these areas of endeavour. We must do away with the conventional system of reading and passing exams and emphasise a system that will encourage learning by doing.

Education without the ability to add value to society is useless.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Isk(f): 4:17am On Feb 14, 2012
I know someone who did her T.P in a poor govt school in edo state(she taught a senior class). This gurl started getting love letters from one of the students, A tall class bully, which she handled professionally. The young man was upset with her for not being agreeable and started constituting a nuisance in her class. One day she confronted him as a teacher would and he SLAPPED her in front of the whole class.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by UyiIredia(m): 5:23am On Feb 14, 2012
HNosegbe:

I maintain that the biggest problem with our educational sector is its straitjacket approach which trains children to grow up to become good employees and civil servants (being a relic of the colonial era). Our educational systems must be designed to accommodate the various abilities and talents of Nigerian children and youth, whether such talents lie in academics, entertainment, sports, the arts, management etc and we must have SPECIALIZED institutions for each of these areas of endeavour. We must do away with the conventional system of reading and passing exams and emphasise a system that will encourage learning by doing.

Education without the ability to add value to society is useless.

Superb. Everybody here will do well to note this approach.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by lilrukevwe(m): 6:22am On Feb 14, 2012
Education is a venture in which a lot of people are involved in, there is needed talk about changes and development but it never came. When I hear a parent saying "I am sending my child to a better school so that they can get a good job" I cringe.

Our educational system has totally lost its value and usefulness truely when I was in school I was told that the teaching profession was a STOP GAP.

But a lot of the decay we find stems frm the fact that the "parents" have failed to instill the desired discipline in their wards. I pray that our skool system improves.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by moremi2008(m): 7:19am On Feb 14, 2012
This thread will be a lot more useful if its scope were narrowed down either public or private secondary schools. There is a vast gulf between these two types of secondary schools and it's a bit futile to make comparisons between the two.

PS - I am not an educator (the only teaching I have ever done is schooling the useless goats on NL on basic common sense) grin
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Natasha2(f): 9:31am On Feb 14, 2012
Shinor:

thumbs up bro you've said it all
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Shinor(m): 10:59am On Feb 14, 2012
@Natasha. Thanks
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by Shinor(m): 11:25am On Feb 14, 2012
@lilrukevwe. Thanks for this contribution.

Education is a venture in which a lot of people are involved in, there is needed talk about changes and development but it never came. When I hear a parent saying "I am sending my child to a better school so that they can get a good job" I cringe.

Our educational system has totally lost its value and usefulness truely when I was in school I was told that the teaching profession was a STOP GAP.

But a lot of the decay we find stems frm the fact that the "parents" have failed to instill the desired discipline in their wards. I pray that our skool system improves.

Parents, Well I mean a lot of parents have abdicated their responsibilities. The parents of today are the ones who enjoyed the public schools of the 1960's 70's & 80's. Yet they watch by as institutions have degenerated into hell holes. And it is sad when they even boast " I can never allow my kids to go to public schools".
You know one of the problems facing this country today is INSTEAD OF FIXING A PROBLEM, WE SEEK EASY ALTERNATIVES. Nigerian public schools went bad, parents ran to private schools. Private schools go bad, they went abroad ( South Africa, UK, Ghana, Kenya ) and now you will find Nigerians in schools in UZBEKISTAN. Instead of us rallying together to make our schools the envy of others, we are running to them. God help us.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by tpia5: 11:47am On Feb 14, 2012
I used to be an educator and i cant really complain about the students.

True, i had the occasional joker/unserious student here and there but most faced their studies. I guess environment matters a lot, as well as the attitude of the teacher.

I would have liked to try teaching in the less developed parts of the country or in underpriviledged areas but unfortunately i didnt get to do that before leaving nigeria.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by tpia5: 11:51am On Feb 14, 2012
Of course there was no widespread use of cell phones or internet back then sO i dont know how it is to be an educator now.

And like some have pointed out, the govt has a long way to go when it comes to facilitating infrastructure and the learning environment.
Re: Can Educators Reveal Their Experience With Nigerian Students? by naijabymarriag(f): 10:54pm On Feb 14, 2012
I am an American teacher (born, raised and schooled here) and I am seeking teaching opportunities outside the U.S. The priamry reason is that I am frustrated with the laziness from students, and the apathy from both students and their parents. The prevalence of gross student misconduct with little consequence is disheartening, So I find it odd and almost unbelieveable for anyone to mention such things about African students. Can you all please specify the age range you are describing?

I CONCUR with Shinor, SloWLY BUT SURELY Nigerian girls are earning an academic reputation that asian students have always cornered the market in. Here at several Middle Schools I have taught in (ages 11-14) each year without fail the students with the highest standardized school or regional scores are Nigerian. Among black american, and VARIOUS africans, Nigerian children have consistently been the best behaved and have earned impressive grades in our schools.

What can that be attributed to?[b][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Oko Anambra State Has Pulled Off From ASUP Strike / How Much Do You Pay As School Fees In Federal Univertty? / Funny Cartoon On OAU Bed Bug Infestation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.