Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,388 members, 7,861,066 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:56 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10617) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8862958 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10614) (10615) (10616) (10617) (10618) (10619) (10620) ... (14215) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 5:11pm On Aug 14, 2021
elampiro:

Rooney was not Everton striker, so how did he start as a striker? Even for the three lions at that time, he was not the striker. He always played as a number 10 behind another striker. Rooney himself did not see himself as a striker to begin with. He was being forced to play close to the goal because of his scoring ability. Rooney has confirmed he played as a number 9 in only two seasons. This has been my argument since joining this sports section in 2013.
"Them two seasons (2008-09, 2009-10) were the two seasons I played as a number nine on my own," Rooney said on BT Sport.

"I played there in and out in different games but I played for the whole season in them two years.

"I actually didn't enjoy the games as much. I've always been a player that wants to get involved in the game and it is something which Marcus will learn over next few years.

"It took me seven or eight years to learn how to play there and to learn to play with your back to goal. It's the hardest position to play. You've got big centre-backs coming through back of you and you're on your own.

"I weren't enjoying it, but it was my best two years of scoring. I remember coming off the pitch and scoring two goals and saying, 'I was awful. I didn't play that well today. I didn't have that many touches of the ball.

In 2009/10, Rooney hit an impressive 26 goals in the Premier League and won the PFA Player of the Year. Only Didier Drogba notched more in the top flight that season, but Rooney wasn't best-pleased.

Ferdinand recalled his long-time teammate asking Sir Alex Ferguson to change his position going into the next campaign.

Ferdinand added: "We spoke when we came back to pre-season. I remember speaking to you and you said, 'I'm going to speak to the manager and say I want to play as a number ten.'

"I was sitting there going, 'But you scored 30-odd goals this season Wazza.' But you weren't enjoying your football and I couldn't get my head around that."

Rooney did end up moving further back at United, before going on to return to boyhood club Everton in 2017.

After a spell stateside with D.C United, he finished his career at Derby County, who he has just kept in the Championship on the final day after being appointed manager in January.

I think the use of English is a fat challenge for you.

Rooney said here that 08/09 and 09/10 were the two seasons he played as a lone striker.

There are other formations where you can have a strike partner like 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-1-2-1-2, etc. The two strikers in these formations are centre forwards.

Rooney at Everton was in a 4-4-2 formation. Rooney in England was in a 4-4-2 formation in Euro 2004. Rooney at Man Utd in several seasons was played in a 4-4-2 formation. So why are you arguing he’s a #10?

Between Wood and Barnes at Burnley, who’s the #10? What about Anelka and Drogba(09/10 season), who was the #10? How are you such a football fanatic but you have no understanding of football formation? cheesy grin cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 5:13pm On Aug 14, 2021
grin

Jez a Reminder...... Sancho is red!

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2021
grin

Best GK in the Universe!!!

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2021
Oasis007:

Best GK in the Universe!!!

Agenda must agend.

De Gea gracing the stage with fellow legends.

Henderson can never. cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Panther7(m): 5:39pm On Aug 14, 2021
We dey 2021, United won 5-1 today and played well and some people still dey argue matter wey happen 100 years ago, I love this thread mehh cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2021
afrodoc2:

Apart from his finishing it was his all round play that made me rate him so early. That is why early on in his senior career i was saying there was more to come from him.
If the manager speaks to him and asks him to deputize for Bruno as a no10 he will do a decent job. The boy is that good.
I have to agree. With the others coming through, and the guidance of a very good coaching staff, we're well stocked in that department
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2021
Oasis007:
Solskjær: "Mason's [Greenwood] development has been great. He’s become a man compared to two years ago."
Yes he has. I'm wondering why others like Martial are not improving. WTH is wrong with that guy sef
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
Illimitable:

I don’t see it happening. They look lost without Grealish.

They can’t just pocket the £100m and refuse to invest in quality players to replace Grealish.
But Grealish was absent for most of last season o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
Jodera:
You no sight me anything grin
Me wey dey offline since, no ignite my vex oo grin
cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2021
elampiro:

Coogar, show me where I said he should be sold. He is not consistent, that is his problem. He is like Anthony Marshal. They play well when they are fresh, but as the fatigue of the long season sets in, it becomes hard.

Did Fred not play today?
They repeat this same mantra almost every season. When the team is unable to score goals, it's Fred. But their high scoring games have Fred featuring in all of them.

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 6:03pm On Aug 14, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Lapse in concentration.

Sometimes, you don’t just feel the player will score. If it was Raphinha or Bamford that dressed the ball like that, they would have all dived in a bid to stop it, but nobody send Ayling.
E no suppose be like that na. Thinking or hoping the guy cant score is what leads to stories that touch at fulltime.

They should be stopping every possible threat on goal. Sadly I dont see these lapses being corrected anytime soon as e be like say our coaches no dey watch ball.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 6:04pm On Aug 14, 2021
KingTom:

No be juju be that? grin

Chaiii.
Rooney will be in pains
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 6:05pm On Aug 14, 2021
afrodoc2:

Maguire could have done better in closing down but that goal was mainly due to a midfield error. Pogba and Fred were not properly positioned while McTominay was not in the vicinity at all.
Exactly. McTom should ve been the one covering that but he was nowhere to be seen. He and Fred sabi do rubbish at times.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2021
Lana1:
The lingering problems in defence is still there.

I hate that we conceded today. Ayling had all the time in the world to dress his shot and nobody could be bothered to close him down.
It's the lapses in concentration. Almost like they believe they can afford to switch off and nothing will happen. I think it has to do with the mentality
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2021
Haaland scores again.

This guy just bullies/robs defenders and gets the ball.

This guy is destined to be great.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2021
Omor I won't lie oh..

This Arnold is probably the best attacking right back I've seen.

And Alonso is the best attacking left back ive seen..

Based on d amount of chances dey produce from their wings..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2021
Illimitable:
Haaland scores again.

This guy just bullies and robs defenders and gets the ball.

This guy is destined to be great.

If Madrid sign mbappe.
Chelsea has signed Lukaku.
Man city sign Kane.

D battle for Halland is between.
Barca.. Bayern.. United..

Nd dat deal will get as high as 120m.
Between those 3 teams only United Can pay that high..

Plus we have Sancho.
Nd ole
As catalyst..

There's a 20% chance of us getting him

6 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 6:12pm On Aug 14, 2021
eph12:

It's the lapses in concentration. Almost like they believe they can afford to switch off and nothing will happen. I think it has to do with the mentality
There was a moment at the end when they switched off again and Leeds had a golden chance to get a 2nd goal but Roberts or whoever that was blew it.

We wont be so lucky against better teams
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 6:15pm On Aug 14, 2021
eph12:

But Grealish was absent for most of last season o

He played around 2200 PL minutes for Villa last season. That’s more minutes than Pogba had last season.

Mrviktor:

If Madrid sign mbappe.
Man city sign Kane.

Plus we have Sancho.
Nd ole
As catalyst..

The Spanish clubs are broke - forget those two.

It’s between Bayern, Man Utd and Man City(If City don’t get Kane).

Ole’s new contract should entice Haaland’s father but I suspect he would want to stay in Germany and move to Bayern.

The boy is too good. His general movement, predatory ability and his ice cold finishing are all suited for the PL.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:20pm On Aug 14, 2021
Mrviktor:
Omor I won't lie oh..

This Arnold is probably the best attacking right back I've seen.

And Alonso is the best attacking left back ive seen..

Based on d amount of chances dey produce from their wings..
Alonso better than Robertson?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2021
Lana1:
There was a moment at the end when they switched off again and Leeds had a golden chance to get a 2nd goal but Roberts or whoever that was blew it.

We wont be so lucky against better teams
Yeah that's why I'm not too excited. Leeds had 10 shots on goal. We had just 6 more. We'll need to deal with that. 10 shots against us is too much
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by macjireh: 6:28pm On Aug 14, 2021
Lana1:
macjireh has always been a mumu. Allow him. Na normal tin for the guy
...and daz wat I used in winning UCL and super cup
I'm sure ur trophy cabinet is very dusty now
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2021
eph12:

No start abeg grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BlueAngel444: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2021
Mrviktor:

If Madrid sign mbappe.
Man city sign Kane.

Plus we have Sancho.
Nd ole
As catalyst..

which Barca? The broke one or the messiless one? undecided

Oh wait they are both the same cheesy
United can dream, but Madrid and Chelsea are still capable of signing Haaland next season cool
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 6:31pm On Aug 14, 2021
41 goals
10 assists

43 Bundesliga games.

What a player!!!

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BlueAngel444: 6:33pm On Aug 14, 2021
Illimitable:

He played around 2200 PL minutes for Villa last season. That’s more minutes than Pogba had last season.

The Spanish clubs are broke - forget those two.

It’s between Bayern, Man Utd and Man City(If City don’t get Kane).

Ole’s new contract should entice Haaland’s father but I suspect he would want to stay in Germany and move to Bayern.

The boy is too good. His general movement, predatory ability and his ice cold finishing are all suited for the PL.
if City are interested, they won't be offering 150m for kane when they can try for Haaland

Bayern might sign Haaland if they let go or bench Lewandoski for him, or they both play in a front two.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2021
eph12:

For pull out I'll take Alonso..

For work rate Robertson

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 6:37pm On Aug 14, 2021
Arnold just dey feed these Liverpool players like ehhhh..

And dey are missing all..
Nawah.

This game should be like 3-0
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 6:38pm On Aug 14, 2021
BlueAngel444:
if City are interested, they won't be offering 150m for kane when they can try for Haaland

Bayern might sign Haaland if they let go or bench Lewandoski for him, or they both play in a front two.

Haaland can only move next season. City needs someone to replace Aguero this season.

If City fails to get Kane this season, they would be in the mix to sign Haaland next season. Haaland’s dad once played for City. sad

Chelsea already have Lukaku. cheesy cheesy

Bayern won’t pay that much for Haaland and Raiola is a greedy bastard. He would want a high fee for Haaland. Haaland will only go to Bayern if he decides to stay in Germany.

PL clubs have the advantage in terms of transfer fee and wages.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BlueAngel444: 6:45pm On Aug 14, 2021
Illimitable:

Haaland can only move next season. City needs someone to replace Aguero this season.

If City fails to get Kane this season, they would be in the mix to sign Haaland next season. Haaland’s dad once played for City. sad

Chelsea already have Lukaku. cheesy cheesy

Bayern won’t pay that much for Haaland and Raiola is a greedy bastard. He would want a high fee for Haaland. Haaland will only go to Bayern if he decides to stay in Germany.

PL clubs have the advantage in terms of transfer fee and wages.
cheesy and Chelsea can play Haaland as a left striker and Lukaku as a right striker tongue
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Illimitable: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2021
BlueAngel444:
cheesy and Chelsea can play Haaland as a left striker and Lukaku as a right striker tongue

Dream on. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BARAJ92(m): 7:00pm On Aug 14, 2021
eph12:

They repeat this same mantra almost every season. When the team is unable to score goals, it's Fred. But their high scoring games have Fred featuring in all of them.
High scoring game always include Mcfred and James, definitely James might not be the best forward but he has usefulness

(1) (2) (3) ... (10614) (10615) (10616) (10617) (10618) (10619) (10620) ... (14215) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Ijustwantto and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.