Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,090 members, 7,953,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:10 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1727) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (9154527 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1724) (1725) (1726) (1727) (1728) (1729) (1730) ... (14372) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2015
Debroslink:

How precisely did Sanchez inspire his country to glory? He scored a penalty, so what? How many MOTM did he win?

From your analogy, Sanchez is better than Maradona and Pele because he won a trophy the duo never won.

World cup is far greater than COPA America cups.

Sanchez is the main man in Chilean team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by homesteady(m): 10:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
elampiro:

World cup is far greater than COPA America cups.

Sanchez is the main man in Chilean team.

And he did not make the tournament best XI

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2595040_55996cfc6ac27_jpeg756975123357086ae2efa6d6c9dd597b

And 5 of his teammates made the team! undecided undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Debroslink: 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
homesteady:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2595040_55996cfc6ac27_jpeg756975123357086ae2efa6d6c9dd597b

Thank you very much. A striker who has zero goal and zero MOTM is their main man?

I tire oh.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:19pm On Jul 05, 2015
homesteady:
elampiro - here are quotes from some people who watched Pele and Maradona!

I did not see where Ferguson said Messi is the best ever. Morover you listed only 2 or people who said Messi is the best ever. And they were mostly comparing him with Maradona.

Any player who has not won a world cup can not be in the competition for best ever.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2015
Even if Sanchez did not make the tournament best eleven, he remains the CHILEAN TEAM main man. That is the way I understood it going into the tournament. Same way I would had credited Messi a great guy who inspired his colleagues if Argentina had won the last world cup. Even if Messi did not perform as he did.

If Messi wins a world cup even if he scored no goal, I will believe he provided the inspiration because he is Argentina main man.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jul 05, 2015
elampiro:
Even if Sanchez did not make the tournament best eleven, he remains the CHILEAN TEAM main man. That is the way I understood it going into the tournament. Same way I would had credited Messi a great guy who inspired his colleagues if Argentina had won the last world cup. Even if Messi did not perform as he did.

If Messi wins a world cup even if he scored no goal, I will believe he provided the inspiration because he is Argentina main man.

That statement got me laughing....please accept sir, sanchez was good but he was still sanchez and NOT chilean team's main man. It's only a player worshipper that a panenka would blow his minds off and he crown the player 'world best' for that singular act.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
homesteady:

So we can say Vidal inspired his team mates to a national team glory, and Messi has not. Messi had better team mates than Vidal.

And someone wants to tell me he is in the league of Pele and Maradona?

Maradona inspired Argentina to a world cup glory and made an average club champion, not once.

Pele : BRAZIL has 5 world cups in 85 years. Pele won three of them in just 20 years. He has average of one goal per match. A feat that is a dream in football. Not 1 goal per match in 15 matches. One goal per match in a thousand plus matches.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by homesteady(m): 6:53am On Jul 06, 2015
elampiro:

I did not see where Ferguson said Messi is the best ever. Morover you listed only 2 or people who said Messi is the best ever. And they were mostly comparing him with Maradona.

Any player who has not won a world cup can not be in the competition for best ever.

You said Messi is not in their class, and Ferguson said he is!

Do you think in the whole of Messi's career, those are the only positive comments he has received? there are obviously still many others!

Yeaa, Pedro has won almost everything Messi has won club wise, and he also has 3 international major trophies - He should be in contention for best ever!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by homesteady(m): 7:28am On Jul 06, 2015
elampiro:

So we can say Vidal inspired his team mates to a national team glory, and Messi has not. Messi had better team mates than Vidal.

Oga why are you shifting goalpost na?
Instead of you to just agree that Sanchez was not their main man in the competition, you are giving me another long speech!

someone wants to tell me he is in the league of Pele and Maradona?
Did you watch both of them play? So why are you arguing with people who watched Both Pele and Maradona? undecided

Maradona inspired Argentina to a world cup glory and made an average club champion, not once.
An average club that was able to fork out world record fee for a player? AC MILAN is an average club now, but have they always been an average club? Google about Napoli and stop spewing trash here!

Pele : BRAZIL has 5 world cups in 85 years. Pele won three of them in just 20 years. He has average of one goal per match. A feat that is a dream in football. Not 1 goal per match in 15 matches. One goal per match in a thousand plus matches.
Lmaoooooooooooo nice CV I must say!
Pele played 4 worldcups for Brazil!
-Brazil won it the edition before Pele made his debut, so obviously Brazil was already a superpower!
-In his 1st worldcup, Brazil won, but he was only good enough for Silver boot
-In his 2nd worldcup, he was injured early in the tournament, and Garrincha led brazil to the cup
-In his 3rd worldcup, Brazil didn't win
-It was only in his 4th worldcup that he was the best player!

Pelé scored 1281 goals in 1363 games, including unofficial friendlies and tour games!
Besides Neymar is on his way to break Pele record for highest number of goals for brazil!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 9:06am On Jul 06, 2015
The preseason training begins

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:15am On Jul 06, 2015
homesteady:

Oga why are you shifting goalpost na?
Instead of you to just agree that Sanchez was not their main man in the competition, you are giving me another long speech!

Did you watch both of them play? So why are you arguing with people who watched Both Pele and Maradona? undecided

An average club that was able to fork out world record fee for a player? AC MILAN is an average club now, but have they always been an average club? Google about Napoli and stop spewing trash here!

-Brazil won it the edition before Pele made his debut, so obviously Brazil was already a superpower!
-In his 2nd worldcup, he was injured early in the tournament, and Garrincha led brazil to the cup
-It was only in his 4th worldcup that he was the best player!

Pelé scored 1281 goals in 1363 games, including unofficial friendlies and tour games!
Besides Neymar is on his way to break Pele record for highest number of goals for brazil!

You could only bring two people who watched both of them. What happened to thousands others who watched both and still say Pele is the best ever, followed by Maradona.

I dont have time for the rest of your epistle. I addressed everything last night.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:13am On Jul 06, 2015
Homesteady, Pele scored 1088 goals in 1115 apperances for Santos.

He scored 470 league goals in 412 league appearances for Santos.

He went to play his pension football at New York Cosmos, he scored 31 goals in 56 league appearances.
In a bid to rubbish Pele you said he scored many from friendly matches and that Neymar is will score more than Pele. Let me school you a little.

# Neymar has 44 goals from 64 appearances for Brazil national team. Pele had 77 goals in 92 appearances.

# Neymar has never played qualifier, which means most of his goals are from friendly matches. While Pele scored mostly from competitive matches. In fact crucial matches.

# Neymar goals per match is 0.68, Pele is 0.84.

# Neymar scored 54 goals in 103 games in Brazil league which is 0.52 per match, and he was bought for all the monies in the world. Pele scored 470 league goals in 412 appearances in that same league, when the league was very strong in those days. Pele averaged 1.14 league goal per match in Brazilian league.

See Pele career stat below.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:22am On Jul 06, 2015
National treasure!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 10:34am On Jul 06, 2015
Wait, o! Is the arguement about the better player or the de most decorated
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:35am On Jul 06, 2015

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 06, 2015
homesteady:

Pls get your facts correct.
Brazil first won the world cup in 1958, Pele's first world cup.

They were not yet a superpower according to your definition if we follow that fact.
homesteady:

That woulda passed if only Pele was not 17 years old. Put that into perspective and edit your position.

homesteady:

You didn't state that he was also injured and heavily tackled and that there were no subs back in the day.

Not holding brief for Pele, but he is not to be scoffed at.

And as of now Neymar can't come close to Pele. Even he himself will admit that.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:52am On Jul 06, 2015

# Pelé won his first major title with Santos in
1958 as the team won the Campeonato
Paulista; Pelé would finish the tournament as
top scorer with 58 goals, [41] a record that
stands today. A year later, he would help the
team earn their first victory in the Torneio Rio-
São Paulo with a 3–0 over Vasco da Gama.

# Santos's most successful club season started
in 1962; [29] the team was seeded in Group 1
alongside Cerro Porteño and Deportivo
Municipal Bolivia, winning every match of their
group but one (a 1–1 away tie vs Cerro), with
Pelé scoring his first goal in a brace against
Cerro. Santos defeated Universidad Católica in
the semifinals and met defending champions
Peñarol in the finals in which Pelé scored
another brace in the playoff match to secure
the first title for a Brazilian club. Pelé finished
as the second best scorer of the competition
with 4 goals. That same year, Santos would
defend, with success, the Campeonato
Brasileiro (with 37 goals from Pelé) and the
Taça Brasil (Pelé scoring four goals in the final
series against Botafogo). Santos would also
win the 1962 Intercontinental Cup against
Benfica . [46] Wearing his iconic number 10
shirt, Pelé produced one of his best ever
performances and scored a hat-trick in Lisbon,
as Santos won 5–2. [47][48

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:57am On Jul 06, 2015

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 10:59am On Jul 06, 2015
Neymar is no were near king PeLe, and i don't think he'll ever be, messi on the other hand is a great player no doubt, the best of his generation, but u guys should also remember that messi has only one rival named cristiano7 unlike pele who back then played with great players like bobby charlton, goerge best, eusebio, garincha, di stefano, puskas, fransisco Gento, E.T.C the only problem is that pple think pele won't have scored as much as he did in santos if he did play in europe (sumtin i partially agree wit). i never watched pele though, jxt youtube clips.. But wit his goal scoring records, i think he'll be playin like the mordern cr7. (my opinion though).
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 11:15am On Jul 06, 2015
Pele scored over 500 goals from friendlies OK. Simple question can you compare the micro short wearing players of the fifties to the modern age ? Humans are designed to evolve and not regress.. you watch YouTube clips and judge based on that,? highlights reel

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:16am On Jul 06, 2015
what's all these Pele shittz? any updates about we signing the midfielder & the center back undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:21am On Jul 06, 2015
Messi is right... Copa America win as
important as World Cup
www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3710/copa-america/2015/07/04/13284142/messi-is-right-copa-america-win-as-important-as-world-cup

After reading how Messi lamented his pains about last world cup and how he is unfulfilled, I was expecting him to propel Argentina to finish chile in the first half.

Yet they compare him to Pelé who did everything right on crucial days.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:31am On Jul 06, 2015
Brazil won the 1958 World Cup.
Pelé arrived in Sweden sidelined by a knee injury but on his return from the treatment room, his colleagues closed ranks and insisted upon his selection.[21][60] His first match was against the USSR in the third match of the first round of the 1958 FIFA World Cup, where he gave the assist to Vavá's second goal.[61] He was the youngest player of that tournament, and at the time the youngest ever to play in the World Cup.[62] He scored his first World Cup goal against Wales in quarter-finals, the only goal of the match, to help Brazil advance to semifinals, while becoming the youngest ever World Cup goalscorer at 17 years and 239 days.[58] Against France in the semifinal, Brazil were leading 2–1 at halftime, and then Pelé scored a hat-trick, becoming the youngest in World Cup history to do so.[63]

On 29 June 1958 Pelé became the youngest player to play in a World Cup final match at 17 years and 249 days. He scored two goals in that final as Brazil beat Sweden 5–2 in the capital of Stockholm. His first goal where he flicked the ball over a defender before volleying into the corner of the net, was selected as one of the best goals in the history of the World Cup.[64] Following Pelé's second goal, Swedish player Sigvard Parling would later comment; "When Pelé scored the fifth goal in that Final, I have to be honest and say I felt like applauding".[65] When the match ended, Pelé passed out on the field, and had to be attended by the medical staff.[29] He then recovered, and was compelled by the victory to weep as he was being congratulated by his teammates. He finished the tournament with six goals in four matches played, tied for second place, behind record-breaker Just Fontaine, and was named best young player of the tournament.[66]

- So Pele only played 4 matches in his forst world cup just coming from injury inside the world cup, and he could be said to be probably the tournament best player at 17? cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 11:32am On Jul 06, 2015
SailorXY:
what's all these Pele shittz? any updates about we signing the midfielder & the center back undecided
lol.. na update you want? Goal UK is reporting galatasaray's Mulsera as possible DDG replacement..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 11:35am On Jul 06, 2015
elampiro:
Brazil won the 1958 World Cup.
Pelé arrived in Sweden sidelined by a knee injury but on his return from the treatment room, his colleagues closed ranks and insisted upon his selection.[21][60] His first match was against the USSR in the third match of the first round of the 1958 FIFA World Cup, where he gave the assist to Vavá's second goal.[61] He was the youngest player of that tournament, and at the time the youngest ever to play in the World Cup.[62] He scored his first World Cup goal against Wales in quarter-finals, the only goal of the match, to help Brazil advance to semifinals, while becoming the youngest ever World Cup goalscorer at 17 years and 239 days.[58] Against France in the semifinal, Brazil were leading 2–1 at halftime, and then Pelé scored a hat-trick, becoming the youngest in World Cup history to do so.[63]

On 29 June 1958 Pelé became the youngest player to play in a World Cup final match at 17 years and 249 days. He scored two goals in that final as Brazil beat Sweden 5–2 in the capital of Stockholm. His first goal where he flicked the ball over a defender before volleying into the corner of the net, was selected as one of the best goals in the history of the World Cup.[64] Following Pelé's second goal, Swedish player Sigvard Parling would later comment; "When Pelé scored the fifth goal in that Final, I have to be honest and say I felt like applauding".[65] When the match ended, Pelé passed out on the field, and had to be attended by the medical staff.[29] He then recovered, and was compelled by the victory to weep as he was being congratulated by his teammates. He finished the tournament with six goals in four matches played, tied for second place, behind record-breaker Just Fontaine, and was named best young player of the tournament.[66]

- So Pele only played 4 matches in his forst world cup just coming from injury inside the world cup, and he could be said to be probably the tournament best player at 17? cheesy
oga sit down with your Pele yarns ..imagine flicking the ball over the defenders head for over 200 of his goals, you think its a coincidence all of the ancient players we deify now have almost a goal per game ratio??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2015
pele nd messi are both great players, evrybdy has his/her opinion about who the best is.. As for me, i'll pick messi cause i never watched pele kick a ball. Meanwhile wetin Man.utd de talk about Schneirdelin na , nd seems we ain't getting any centre forward o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:17pm On Jul 06, 2015
leggo:
Pele scored over 500 goals from friendlies OK. Simple question can you compare the micro short wearing players of the fifties to the modern age ? Humans are designed to evolve and not regress.. you watch YouTube clips and judge based on that,? highlights reel

Pele did everything right when it matters, for club and country. If you want to rubbish Pele's record based on the time he played, have you tried to look at goals of other great players who played in his time? Why is Pele's record a zillion mile ahead of Garrincha and co?

1958 world cup final. He scored two goals in the final, including a wonder. He scored 6 goals in just 4 matches he featured as he came from injury inside the world cup.

1970 world cup he scored 2 goals and provided 1 assist in the final against Italy.

1070 world cup

Brazil played Italy in the final at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.[93] Pelé scored the opening goal with a header over Italian defender Tarcisio Burgnich. He then made assists on Brazil's third goal, scored by Jairzinho, and the fourth finished by Carlos Alberto which is often considered the greatest team goal of all time, involving all but two of the team's outfield players, and ended with Pelé making a blind pass which rolled perfectly into the path of Carlos Alberto, who came running from behind, and struck the ball without breaking stride to score.[94][95] Brazil won the match 4–1, keeping the Jules Rimet Trophy indefinitely, and Pelé received the Golden Ball as player of the tournament.[65][96] Burgnich, who marked Pelé during the final, was quoted saying "I told myself before the game, he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else — but I was wrong".[97] grin grin grin

In 1962 world cup, Pele past 5 defenders to score a goal. He later got injured. I beg give up.

They said Pele played in those days when football was still evolving, how come Garrincha only scored 85 goals in 236 appearances in same league Pele averaged more than a goal per match? Ukwu!!! grin Pele should be praised for playing the kind of football he played at the time. His football was at least 50 years ahead of his mates. Should Messi perform half like Pele did in the world cup, his worshipers will crown him king of football, boxing, athletics and wrestling.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:19pm On Jul 06, 2015
leggo:

oga sit down with your Pele yarns ..imagine flicking the ball over the defenders head for over 200 of his goals, you think its a coincidence all of the ancient players we deify now have almost a goal per game ratio??

What goal ratio did Garricha have? Chalton? All his contemporary.

Kids of these days might say Mike Tyson fought against weakeners, that was why he was able knock people out within minutes, even seconds. When you go back, you will see even in the time of Ali, the fights could be said to be stronger.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Digriz(m): 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2015
US Tour List announced
Goalkeepers: De Gea, Sam Johnstone,
Anders Lindegaard, Victor Valdes.

Defenders: Tyler Blackett, Jonny Evans,
Reece James, Phil Jones, Paddy McNair,
Rafael, Marcos Rojo, Luke Shaw, Chris
Smalling, Antonio Valencia, Guillermo
Varela.

Midfielders: Depay, Daley Blind, Michael
Carrick, Angel Di Maria, Marouane
Fellaini, Ander Herrera, Adnan Januzaj,
Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Nani, Andreas
Pereira, Nick Powell, Ashley Young.

Strikers: Henriquez, Van Persie Javier
Hernandez, Will Keane, Wayne Rooney,
James Wilson.
http://www.manchesterunitedfanclub.co.uk/man-united-announce-squad-for-usa-tour/
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2015
weedtaker:
pele nd messi are both great players, evrybdy has his/her opinion about who the best is.. As for me, i'll pick messi cause i never watched pele kick a ball. Meanwhile wetin Man.utd de talk about Schneirdelin na , nd seems we ain't getting any centre forward o

I watched plenty of Pele's clips as a kid. In fact I repeated many old school matches in VCR cassette way back. The cassettes ended mostly in Italy 82. There have been footballers, and there have been footballers. They come and go. I love a certain Jaizinho. I love Zico.

After Pele, they said there will never be another magician because football had evolved. Then Maradona came. Later they said it will never happen again. They said Di Lima and Zidain was the end. Then Messi and CR7 came. That is life.

There were also great defenders. They come and go. Football is evolving, but defenders of today could be said to be less effective than Baresi, Maldini, Costacuta, Stam, Adams, etc. If these people were to return to youthful age today, will will walk into any team as the leaders.

I think we should give due to those who deserve it. People are saying football was poor in Pele's time, but how did he manage to average one goal per match when other greats in his time couldn't make 0.4 goal per match?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2015
elampiro:

What goal ratio did Garricha have? Chalton? All his contemporary.

Kids of these days might say Mike Tyson fought against weakeners, that was why he was able knock people out within minutes, even seconds. When you go back, you will see even in the time of Ali, the fights could be said to be stronger.
are you saying they played harder football then? answer straight up.
were garrincha and charlton strikers elamps??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by leggo: 12:44pm On Jul 06, 2015
elampiro:

I watched plenty of Pele's clips as a kid. In fact I repeated many old school matches in VCR cassette way back. The cassettes ended mostly in Italy 82. There have been footballers, and there have been footballers. They come and go. I love a certain Jaizinho. I love Zico.

After Pele, they said there will never be another magician because football had evolved. Then Maradona came. Later they said it will never happen again. They said Di Lima and Zidain was the end. Then Messi and CR7 came. That is life.

There were also great defenders. They come and go. Football is evolving, but defenders of today could be said to be less effective than Baresi, Maldini, Costacuta, Stam, Adams, etc. If these people were to return to youthful age today, will will walk into any team as the leaders.

I think we should give due to those who deserve it. People are saying football was poor in Pele's time, but how did he manage to average one goal per match when other greats in his time couldn't make 0.4 goal per match?
how many of his 1million goals are on tape elamps? Eusebio, puskas both have 0.97goals/game and we are are assured there is no exaggeration.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1724) (1725) (1726) (1727) (1728) (1729) (1730) ... (14372) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: obonujoker(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.