Stats: 3,160,635 members, 7,844,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No (1110 Views)

The Delusions Of Forgiveness And The Christian Morality. / WAIT! Did Bishop David Oyedepo Just Say He Is Not Sent By God??? / Understanding Religious Delusions. (2) (3) (4)

Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by divinereal: 9:40pm On Feb 15, 2012
Video located here - http://www.philosophynews.com/post/2012/02/14/Jesus-the-Easter-Bunny-and-Other-Delusions-Just-Say-No.aspx

On January 27th, 2012, Dr. Peter Boghossian of Portland State University presented a controversial thesis to a packed crowd : faith is a belief-producing process that does not lead one to the truth.

In this talk, sponsored by The Freethinkers of Portland State University and published by philosophynews.com, Dr. Boghossian argues that faith-based processes are unreliable and unlikely to lead one to the truth. Since our goal as knowers is to have more true beliefs than false ones, faith, as a process for getting to the truth, should be abandoned in favor of other, more reliable processes. The talk was followed by a question and answer session from the audience.

There are many bad ways of discovering truth about the way the world works like divination, dowsing, sacrificing animals, and lucky guesses. And most people—even people of faith—would agree that these are poor and unreliable. Faith, says Dr. Boghossian, is like these other methods and should be discarded on the same grounds. He shows how the practices of various religious traditions have been shown using the methods of science to be ineffective and lead their practitioners to false conclusions. When confronted with the discomforting evidence, people of faith tend to shift their claim from, “my faith is true” to “my faith is useful.” But this isn’t a valid move argues Boghossian.

In this powerful presentation, professor Boghossian is not interested merely in tearing down faith but in demonstrating how a life guided by reason and evidence can be so much richer and more fulfilling.

Copyright © 2012 by Peter Boghossian and Philosophy News
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by dekung(m): 12:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
The founders of the Christian religion were somewhat smart. They envisaged people reaction and ability to question the bogus stories scripted in the new testament hence they came up with the concept of faith which really means suspend all rational and logical reasoning and embrace every dogma presented to you by the christian church and its bible. They invented Jesus who had no origin and no father. Just a mother and a phantom spirit. Elementary genetics teaches that to get a male child there will be a donation of 23 'Y' chromosomes from the father and another 23 'X' chromosomes making it 23 pairs of chromosomes. Now the question is where did the 'Y' chromosomes in Jesus come from. If from the Holy Spirit, then do spirits have any physical characteristics or features or properties such as the possession of sperm needed to fertilize Mary's ovum? Faith says believe absurdities that defy natural laws thus selling us creation of the Universe by an Uncreated God.
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by divinereal: 5:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
I agree, religious ppl are really funny they believe in all sorts of absurdities without any evidence including talking snakes, virgin births, angels, jinns, trinity, monotheism, transubstantiation, pilgrimages etc etc but refute the evidence of evolution.

If he is infinitely good, what reason should we have to fear him? If he is infinitely wise, why should we have doubts concerning our future? If he knows all, why warn him of our needs and fatigue him with our prayers? If he is everywhere, why erect temples to him? If he is just, why fear that he will punish the creatures that he has filled with weaknesses? If grace does everything for them, what reason would he have for recompensing them? If he is all-powerful, how offend him, how resist him? If he is reasonable, how can he be angry at the blind, to whom he has given the liberty of being unreasonable? If he is immovable, by what right do we pretend to make him change his decrees? If he is inconceivable, why occupy ourselves with him? IF HE HAS SPOKEN, WHY IS THE UNIVERSE NOT CONVINCED? If the knowledge of a God is the most necessary, why is it not the most evident and the clearest.

-- Percy Bysshe Shelley
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by dekung(m): 6:31pm On Feb 16, 2012
www.skeptic.ca/christ_conspiracy.htm

The above link is a comprehensive review of the Christ conspiracy.
Now if God was all knowing how come He had to ask Adam if he had eaten the fruit, if He was all knowing how come He didn't know man was going to stray? If he was all powerful why didn't He just destroy the Devil? Everything is just a bunch of bogus adaptation from several other religions arround the world. The jews do not even believe the Bible to be historical but rather allegorical. Christians are now unhappy because they think Christmas celebration is taking attention of Jesus but now on Santa Clause. The good thing about this is that Santa Clause was a real person, Jesus on the other hand was a collaboration of several mythical entities.
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by FXKing2012(m): 11:12am On Feb 17, 2012
dekung:

www.skeptic.ca/christ_conspiracy.htm

The above link is a comprehensive review of the Christ conspiracy.
Now if God was all knowing how come He had to ask Adam if he had eaten the fruit, if He was all knowing how come He didn't know man was going to stray? If he was all powerful why didn't He just destroy the Devil? Everything is just a bunch of bogus adaptation from several other religions arround the world. The jews do not even believe the Bible to be historical but rather allegorical. Christians are now unhappy because they think Christmas celebration is taking attention of Jesus but now on Santa Clause. The good thing about this is that Santa Clause was a real person, Jesus on the other hand was a collaboration of several mythical entities.

There u go again doing what you know to do best - exposing your folly!
Your questions and assertions show you lack any form of wisdom or even spiritual knowledge. You need help!
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by dekung(m): 1:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
@FXKing,
I will pretend I did not see what you posted but let me give you a piece of advice. Go on and do your findings, come here make your submissions, pick holes in dissenting arguments and make informed conclusions rather than running arround the page looking for whom to attack without saying anything sensible. Honestly, I am dissapointed at the people who raised you, they did a poor and shoddy job. I am not saying this because you are religious but because your brain has been put on perpetual hybernation. I know a few smart but yet religious people like Sam Adeyemi, Poju Oyemade and Tunde Bakare but you, ? Calling you s.t.upid would mean I am insulting people that are genuinely s.t.upid
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by jayriginal: 3:38pm On Feb 17, 2012
dekung:

The founders of the Christian religion were somewhat smart. They envisaged people reaction and ability to question the bogus stories scripted in the new testament hence they came up with the concept of faith which really means suspend all rational and logical reasoning and embrace every dogma presented to you by the christian church and its bible. They invented Jesus who had no origin and no father.

Not really. They just make up stuff and revise as the occasion demands. Christianity has evolved and will keep evolving.
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by FXKing2012(m): 4:28pm On Feb 17, 2012
jayriginal:

Not really. They just make up stuff and revise as the occasion demands. Christianity has evolved and will keep evolving.

Mind what u say about Christianity. Dont say what u were fed by the likes of dekung who finds it amusing to just open his mouth and merry over whatever comes out first.
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by dekung(m): 11:27am On Feb 19, 2012
Oga FXKing,
Don't bury your head in the sand like the proverbial ostrich and pretend nothing is wrong with your religious belief. Let me ask you, how come the story of Horus and Osiri, as well as the conception story of Krishna are strikingly similar to the story of Mary and Jesus, the only difference being that those other stories were several hundreds of years older than the story of Jesus. Am sensing there is plagiarism from somewhere or don't you. I laugh in Chinese. hu hu hu hu
Re: Jesus, The Easter Bunny And Other Delusions: Just Say No by UyiIredia(m): 11:09pm On Feb 19, 2012
Yes, yes, delusions. I think Christians find it hard to consider Christ as a delusion. Even their bodies are delusions, it will fade away.

Is there Any Prayer We Are Not Permited To Pray But Jesus Only? / Take Time To Read. It's Worth Reading It. Trust Me / INTRODUCING PASTOR SAM FIREMAN..............SMH!