Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff (21154 Views)

Oceanic Bank Denies Sacking 1,200 More Workers, Slashes Salaries By 30% - Latest News / Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by feelamong(m): 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ecobank has begun moves to effect the mass sack of staff of their newly acquired Oceanic Bank, ekekeeeDOTcom can confirm.

Our sources revealed that some staff of Oceanic Bank were handed their disengagement letters today while others will

be given theirs tomorrow. Those still awaiting their sack letters were asked to await calls from their zonal offices.

This step – the second in a month to be taken by a major financial institution – will aid in increasing the number of

Nigerians out on the streets searching for jobs. It will be recalled that Access Bank recently embarked on a mass

sack that affected over 1500 staff of former Intercontinetal Bank which was acquired by the former.

http://ekekeee.com/ecobank-commences-mass-sack-of-oceanic-bank-staff/
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 15, 2012
baba God- why oh, why oh, why oh, why oh! Na d question we dey ask am!
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by ijigbamigb(m): 10:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
Boyloaf:

I wander ooo, I just dey pray for family men wey go loose them jabs, cus diz kind thn dey cus depression, wey fit lead to bad things,
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by cantell(m): 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2012
ijigbamigb:

I wander ooo, I just dey pray for family men wey go loose them jabs, cus diz kind thn dey cus depression, wey fit lead to bad things,
They do bad things even when they have a job, but i guess the "bad thing" level go change.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by executinal(m): 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
And what is SLS doing about all this bulshit angry
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by jidewin(m): 12:42pm On Feb 16, 2012
well,i supposse my dear Sanusi Lamido Sanusi should be "smiling" NOW. More SKILLED JOBLESS Nigerians on the street.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by odedele: 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
dis is wat u c wen u av a round peg in a trangle hole.certainly not one wit a degree in islamic studies
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by niddamugu(m): 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
If God be for us, who can be against us? It is well sad sad sad smiley smiley, For the affected, just smile God is in control. grin grin
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by austinsmat(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
pls where is sanusi lamido and this stupid intelligent to transform nigeria
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by tttonero: 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
This goes on all over the world.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by inene: 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
i will not stop sayiny it that lamido sanusi is a disaster to nigeria and all these senseless sack of people is as a result of his terrible policies.  imagine that some people will by the end of today be jobless and this is happening by mindless bank executives.  what a shame.  there is no process in the way people are being sacked. when all the people are sacked who will man the branches of oceanic bank nationwide.  my heart goes to all the staff some of who have spent the better part of their lives serving the bank.  what a way to pay them back.  its a big shame. our leaders have once again failed us by allowing a man like sanusi head such a sensitive institution like the central bank of nigeria.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by Wexelion(m): 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
Great country Nigeria,job security=-100
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by snthesis(m): 1:11pm On Feb 16, 2012
y blame SLS
Was he d one that ran d banks poorly,
ur angers shud b channeled to the greedy ex-CEOs - d likes of ibru, erastus e.t.c of the affected banks sad sad
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by Catchfire1: 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
Boyloaf:

As for me(ecobank oga), i go carry broom, sweep my upper room (oceanic bank staff) . . .  wink  grin
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by GWslim(f): 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
There is no doubt that anytime such merging or take over takes place, downsizing is a must to cut cost.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by otokx(m): 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
Too bad but no sweat
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by Olupraise: 1:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
snthesis:

y blame SLS
Was he d one that ran d banks poorly,
ur angers shud b channeled to the greedy ex-CEOs - d likes of ibru, erastus e.t.c of the affected banks sad sad

If you were working at one of this banks you wont have said so. Am not saying the ex Bank CEO didnt hav dear fault. But SLS handling of the whole sitaution was wrong. BY God 's grace I work at Oceanic Bank. You wont understand unless you were in d system and u will know how people have been affected. How confused many people are.

Unity Bank had issues, Soludo didn't not go around announcing it , rather he pumped money into d bank and d bank is still going on. That is what we are saying.
Also  were u aware that sanusi told the MD he apointed to downsize and reduce salary, as a means of saving the banks. When his program started.
So let us get our facts right.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by bigsean(m): 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
@poster, thanks for the info, but i'm sure all the oceanic bank staff saw it coming.
The banking industry is dying in nigeria in terms of creating jobs for nigerians and no matter what u say about ex md's of the banks, SLS is the biggest culprit of them all.
I pity all my friends still working in the banking industry, but i actually have more pity on the ones that have been revealed of their jobs.
This is probably the best time for the phrase "God dey"
not good news by any stretch of the imagination

tttonero:

This goes on all over the world.

that is a very myopic thing to say. Do u have any idea the unemployment rate "all over the world" and what it is in Nigeria.
do u know that in must parts of the world "US & europe" people have unemployment benefits. look at our sick sick country.
Nigeria is getting worse in our very own eyes.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by dplordx(m): 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
I think the most dangerous thing to do now is go to school with the expectation of securing a job.
It isnt just down in Naija this is happening. theres been massive layoffs in nearly every whitecollar industry within the whole of malay.
I think vocational education might be the key for our next generation. but trust nigerians, waec, jamb and admission forms will still be the best-selling products ever.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by bigsean(m): 1:41pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Olupraise, u are correct, how can unity bank of all banks survive and u dont give oceanic and inter a fighting chance, SLS handled it very poorly, soludo did a very marvelous job and he will forever earn my respect.
I dont care if u are from the north or south, if u studied islamic studies or (CTU) counter terrorism Unit (that's a "24" reference,  grin) as long as u do a good job, people will recognize u.
SLS has done nothing tangible yet to left up the sector beyond how he inherited it.SHAME!
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by DNA123(m): 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2012
Why are pple so daft, what is the fault of Sanusi in trying to restructure Nigerian economy. If u r knowledgeable, u will thank ur God 4 having someone like him at this point in time.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by bigsean(m): 1:45pm On Feb 16, 2012
DNA123:

Why are pple so daft, what is the fault of Sanusi in trying to restructure Nigerian economy. If u r knowledgeable, u will thank ur God 4 having someone like him at this point in time.
so if u had to chose one who would it be?
SLS or Soludo?
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by zinosleek(m): 1:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
i wonder why some pple are blaming SLS when the bank execs are there, there are still other banks in the country doing well like zenith, Gtb etc, did u guys praise SLS for those ones. the fall of these banks are due to the mismanagement of the execs and too bad but its business as usual. those that lost their jobs are just collateral damage.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 16, 2012
I saw this coming last year. I have an account with Ecobank and Oceanic bank, Hope they wudn't mess with my accounts cuz if they do, ? Well, i pity those that would be sacked. I hope GEJ and his kitchen cabinet is taking Note. I also hope our Mallam sanusi is taking note, Seriously, Nigerian work system is a system that encourages looting, stealing and divert of funds cuz the worker doesn't know what tomorrow holds.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by puskin: 1:59pm On Feb 16, 2012
SLS new series

Season 1:
Intecontinental Bank

Episode 1: . . . . Mass sack/ termination
Episode 2: . . . . More mass sack/ withdrawal of service
Episode 3: . . . . Mass resignation
Episode 4: . . . . Mass closure of IBplc branches
Episode 5: . . . . Mass reduction of salaries

Season 2:
Oceanic Bank

Episode 1: . . . . .Mass sack
episode 2: . . . . (coming soon to your nearest media stand)
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by moremi2008(m): 2:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
I just called my cousin who works at Oceanic. Yes, they fired a bunch of people, mostly from ops. They also fired all of the contract staff (e.g. the tellers). They left most of the managers and marketing staff. Apparently, they didn't inform anyone on the Oceanic side about the lay-offs; they selected the affected staff at random. To be fair, they also fired some bankers on the Ecobank side too.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by faithin9ja: 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
are most of the posters too young to remember?  does anybody here remember during Abacha, during the era of failed banks, when millions of Nigerians lost their money in failed banks (not the just wonder banks like monitree or umanumna) but banks governed by CBN.

Not one of these banks has witnessed a 'run' on them, not even Bank PHB, or Springbank. The general population still has confidence in banks and we are still putting our money in all these banks, why?

because the CBN invested billions of naira to shore up their reserves.

If Oceanic bank was solvent this option of a forced takeover would not arise. During Soludu's time were we not borrowing billions of naira to buy shares in these banks with their wonderful announced profits. they were opening new branches everyday, sometimes 3 branches on the same street, where are these profits now?

I don't have time to write a full synopsis on the Nigerian banking sector, but suffice to say the corruption that endemic in all aspects of our society, is also the cause of the malaise in the banking sector, the sooner we recognize this better.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by faithin9ja: 2:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
when you go to your bank and present your cheque to withdraw your own N20,000 and they tell you they don't have money that the bank is 'distressed' I wonder how much pity you will have for the bank staff
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by DonTonero: 2:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
at the beginning of this 2012 may people were asking God to favour them in whatever they do double double so what do expect if you are unemployed double double,if you are sacked double double,boko haram double double,bank sweeping of staff double double,if you are affected double double, grin
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by moremi2008(m): 2:19pm On Feb 16, 2012
faithin9ja:

are most of the posters too young to remember?  does anybody here remember during Abacha, during the era of failed banks, when millions of Nigerians lost their money in failed banks (not the just wonder banks like monitree or umanumna) but banks governed by CBN.

Not one of these banks has witnessed a 'run' on them, not even Bank PHB, or Springbank. The general population still has confidence in banks and we are still putting our money in all these banks, why?

because the CBN invested billions of naira to shore up their reserves.

If Oceanic bank was solvent this option of a forced takeover would not arise. During Soludu's time were we not borrowing billions of naira to buy shares in these banks with their wonderful announced profits. they were opening new branches everyday, sometimes 3 branches on the same street, where are these profits now?

I don't have time to write a full synopsis on the Nigerian banking sector, but suffice to say the corruption that endemic in all aspects of our society, is also the cause of the malaise in the banking sector, the sooner we recognize this better.

Still doesn't explain Unity Bank though. It was clearly an insolvent bank but it received special status.
Re: Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff by bigsean(m): 2:28pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^^^^^Exactly, Unity Bank?
those of us that worked in the bank know unity bank ain't got s.h.*.t. so how come they are still alive?

And true, i remember the crisis u speak of, that rocked the banking sector yrs bank (my dad never got he's money from allied bank) but soludo brought a great deal of sanity to the industry, dont forget he reduced it from almost 90 to 25. thats no small fit.
Was soludo perfect? no way, but he did a hell of a good job, and it was there for all of us to see.
SLS is going about the right solution in the wrong way. Just like everything else with nigeria (going about susidy removal first, like if that will some how solve the whole problem)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Branch Mbaise In IMO State Celebrates Children's Day In Style / 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job / 6 Places To Work If You Want Access To Drive Different Cars Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.