Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours (18239 Views)

First Class Honours: Kini Big Deal? / Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities / Mother & Son Bag MSc From UNILAG (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by 3499: 7:23pm On Feb 16, 2012
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3sd5x1hXEppn-NOvyuXiPENOC_h9B6XZgil4upd9qqrJuazt4jw[/img]
One hundred and eighteen students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, from various departments graduated with First Class honours during the 2011 convocation ceremony with the two-day conferment ceremony which began yesterday. Yesterday, 3,224 from the Faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Sciences, Social Sciences and the Distance Learning Institute, who have successfully completed their studies, were admitted into their various diplomas, certificates and degrees.

The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Babatunde Sofoluwe, who represented the university’s Chancellor, Alhaji (Dr.) Aliyu Obaje, the Ata- Gala of Igala Land, Kogi State, advised the graduates to make good use of their degrees for the development of the nation and the World at large. Prof Sofoluwe, who announced recent awards, scholarships and sponsorships won by the university from individuals and organisations both local and international, thanked all contributors to the success recorded by his administration. The VC was proud to welcome members of the university’s Governing Council, which has just been reinstated by the Federal Government as part of the resolutions of the last FG/ ASUU crisis. The university, however, told the graduates that their certificates are ready for collection.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/31410.html
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by amtheone(m): 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2012
Congrat guys.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by forkadict(m): 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2012
Na which kind school be this Unilag sef? Dem kukuma don talk am say dem certificate na 3 for five naira. 118 first class ke? Like say first class na pure water. Abi dem VC no sabi the meaning of first class?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by rezzy: 1:39pm On Feb 17, 2012
I weak oh, had i know, i would have gone to unilag, maybe i would i bagged a first class.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 1:40pm On Feb 17, 2012
3.499:

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3sd5x1hXEppn-NOvyuXiPENOC_h9B6XZgil4upd9qqrJuazt4jw[/img]
One hundred and eighteen students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, from various departments graduated with First Class honours during the 2011 convocation ceremony with the two-day conferment ceremony which began yesterday. Yesterday, 3,224 from the Faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Sciences, Social Sciences and the Distance Learning Institute, who have successfully completed their studies, were admitted into their various diplomas, certificates and degrees.

The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Babatunde Sofoluwe, who represented the university’s Chancellor, Alhaji (Dr.) Aliyu Obaje, the Ata- Gala of Igala Land, Kogi State, advised the graduates to make good use of their degrees for the development of the nation and the World at large. Prof Sofoluwe, who announced recent awards, scholarships and sponsorships won by the university from individuals and organisations both local and international, thanked all contributors to the success recorded by his administration. The VC was proud to welcome members of the university’s Governing Council, which has just been reinstated by the Federal Government as part of the resolutions of the last FG/ ASUU crisis. The university, however, told the graduates that their certificates are ready for collection.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/31410.html

@ Poster, this is old news naw. It was posted on this forum several days ago. Check to confirm what I am saying.

I wonder whether posts are not well checked for repetition before they make the front page.

T22
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by sunkoye: 1:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
its good o, but i have this feelings that sumtin is not so right! undecided
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 1:42pm On Feb 17, 2012
rezzy:

I weak oh, had i know, i would have gone to unilag, maybe i would i bagged a first class.

Easier said, just easier said than done. It is not too late. Score highly on UME and you will be admitted cheesy
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 1:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
^^^^

Some people on this forum make me laugh. So, because the school attracted some of the brightest Nigerians who eventually graduated very well, then you think something is not so right? grin Na wah.

T22
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by anishe(m): 1:49pm On Feb 17, 2012
Greatest Akokite, my Alma Mata, the Univewrsity of First Choice.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 1:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
I have told some people on this forum, and I will say it again. Go and track these first class students and graduates, all of them. You will see that they merited what they got. I have never heard of any of them that didn't prove that they merited the grades they got, whether home or abroad. The highest UME scorer in the history of JAMB (346 or 348/400) was a Unilag student. Even sef, he was not the very best student in his chemical engineering class. Although he was also on a first (of course he must be), we had other people whose GPAs surpassed his GPA. That is to show you the quality of students that Unilag admits. This same highest jamb scorer became the African highest scorer in SAT in his time (unfortunately he eventually left Lag for MIT) and was one of the very top students in his MIT class, both at undergrad and grad levels. The same story can be said of many students who graduated tops from Unilag. Meet this people and see what I am saying. They are not flawless, but they know their onions and tomatoes very, very well. And they are very sociable too, with great social skills :Dhahahahah

It is a very, very simple logic. If you admit very smart students, then you should expect that they will eventually do well. This is not rocket science; what is the big deal? kini big deal? Why are you all making a big deal out of this first class of a thingy, why?

At the end of the day, what matters most is what each of us, irrespective of our class of degree, can bring to the table. We will only be respected for the value we can add, not the number of decimals that make up our GPAs.

T22.

T22.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
men this doesnt fill right indeed, i mean this doesnt bold well for nigerian education even abroad this no dey happen, nigerian curruption don they creep into our university system too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
anishe:

Greatest Akokite, my Alma Mata, the Univewrsity of First Choice.

You did not complete it.

---------And the nation's pride.

T22
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2012
fork adict:

Na which kind school be this Unilag sef? Dem kukuma don talk am say dem certificate na 3 for five naira. 118 first class ke? Like say first class na pure water. Abi dem VC no sabi the meaning of first class?
A graduate who's used to failure, SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 2:08pm On Feb 17, 2012
onojiwizard@gmail.com:

men this doesnt fill right indeed, i mean this doesnt bold well for nigerian education even abroad this no dey happen, nigerian curruption don they creep into our university system too

Please say what you know. If you do your research on top schools abroad, you will quickly withdraw your statement. Many, or even most students in my class abroad are on a GPA of 3.5 and above out of 4.00. There was a semester, after all my agidi, I made a GPA of 3.76/4.00 and was not even among the top students. I repeat, do your research. In a top competitive program with stringent entry requirements, most students tend to get excellent GPAs. This was why I was not even among the top dogs with my GPA that some people outside my class will describe as excellent. I mean, you have people that get straight As,--

I know it is hard to believe. But one day, it will become abundantly clear to you.

T22.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by binigirl(f): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2012

Greatest Akokite, my Alma Mata, the UniveWrsity of First Choice.

Na wa 4 u oh! No fall d hand of ur skool nw, abi na so una dey spell University 4 una first choice skool? grin
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by tanimola22: 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
I have told some people on this forum, and I will say it again. Go and track these first class students and graduates, all of them. You will see that they merited what they got. I have never heard of any of them that didn't prove that they merited the grades they got, whether home or abroad. The highest UME scorer in the history of JAMB (346 or 348/400) was a Unilag student. Even sef, he was not the very best student in his chemical engineering class. Although he was also on a first (of course he must be), we had other people whose GPAs surpassed his GPA. That is to show you the quality of students that Unilag admits. This same highest jamb scorer became the African highest scorer in SAT in his time (unfortunately he eventually left Lag for MIT) and was one of the very top students in his MIT class, both at undergrad and grad levels. The same story can be said of many students who graduated tops from Unilag. Meet these people and see what I am saying. They are not flawless, but they know their onions and tomatoes very, very well. And they are very sociable too, with great social skills :Dhahahahah

It is a very, very simple logic. If you admit very smart students, then you should expect that they will eventually do well. This is not rocket science; what is the big deal? kini big deal? Why are you all making a big deal out of this first class of a thingy, why?

At the end of the day, what matters most is what each of us, irrespective of our class of degree, can bring to the table. We will only be respected for the value we can add, not the number of decimals that make up our GPAs.

T22.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by hardbody: 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2012
It just does not sound right to have that number of graduates making a first class no matter what Tanimola thinks. I recall that in my Uni way back in time, towards the third and final years, Senate tries to rationalize the number of first class graduates in any given year. You cannot cheapen your degree this much, and as for quality, i struggled not to lose my first degree knowledge acquisition when i went to Unilag for my Masters. As I write, i have completed arrangements to repeat that programme in another University, this is because although i passed the examinations, in terms of head knowledge i was almost raped. Now i think there is a lot more in these degrees than meet the eye, believe me
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by sheyguy: 2:21pm On Feb 17, 2012
fork adict:

what is wrong with the No. of 1st class they grad? In a sample of 3,000+ grads only 118 could make distinction, i think the No. of 1st class is a bit low. There is nothing special in it.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by purplekayc(m): 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2012
@sheyguy : nothing special abi? Hope u had a 1st class?
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
I graduated too, I studied in unilag, I worked my ass off ooo, in engineering, to get this second class upper I obtained, FIRST CLASS no easy ooo, abeg, them deserve am, 3 certificates for 10 naira abi, Why u no pass the utme and post ume for here make u enter come see as things dey happen for unilag life, EVERY SINGLE GRADUATE of engineering making a first class merit it oooo, Small politics is involved we understand, but no politics, sleeping wit lecturer, bribery etc cn turn a 2nd class lower candidate to a FIRST CLASS CANDIDATE,
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 17, 2012
Chei, why did i go to UNIPORT cry,  I would have been the 1st person to Bag 1st Class- upper division in Unilag   grin grin grin,
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2012
hardbody:

It just does not sound right to have that number of graduates making a first class no matter what Tanimola thinks. I recall that in my Uni way back in time, towards the third and final years, Senate tries to rationalize the number of first class graduates in any given year. You cannot cheapen your degree this much, and as for quality, i struggled not to lose my first degree knowledge acquisition when i went to Unilag for my Masters. As I write, i have completed arrangements to repeat that programme in another University, this is because although i passed the examinations, in terms of head knowledge i was almost violated. Now i think there is a lot more in these degrees than meet the eye, believe me
Your statement "no matter what"
I smell a sadist around the corner, The two pple who got first class in my department are so worth it, Anything less would not be a sin against them but a sin against God, You're forgetting UNILAG is a big school with numerous department.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by sheyguy: 2:50pm On Feb 17, 2012
There is nothing special in118 1st class out of a sample of 3000+ in a relatively compethtive school like unilag is what i meant, not just 1st class in any run down school. As a matter of fact some schs do deny some of their students 1st class if they feel they are much
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by sheyguy: 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
There is nothing special in118 1st class out of a sample of 3000+ in a relatively compethtive school like unilag is what i meant, not just 1st class in any run down school. As a matter of fact some schs do deny some of their students 1st class if they feel they are much
purplekayc:

@sheyguy : nothing special abi? Hope u had a 1st class?
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by logica(m): 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
The problem had been sadistic lecturers who put a quota on A grades and first class. Maybe they are retiring now.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by logica(m): 2:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
Though I must add that I'm a bit skeptical considering the kind of students Nigerian universities have been producing of late.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by lafuria1(m): 3:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
Congrant to dem but their first class is not even d issue, this country called nigeria where the number of jobless youth is increasin on an alarming rate. Well na good job remain nw.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by luvola(m): 3:29pm On Feb 17, 2012
one of our colleagues in my department(accounting) left lasu on a cgpa of 3.54 at the end of our year one and i can affirm that he just graduated with a 1st class from accounting dept at unilag. the fact is that in unilag,the environment is good for learning and if u are good u reap what u sow .i just graduated frm this same dept and we didnt have any 1st class. even while in level 3 ,the h.o.d downsize the nos of 2.1 frm 80 to 50 (d higest ever
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by luvola(m): 3:29pm On Feb 17, 2012
one of our colleagues in my department(accounting) left lasu on a cgpa of 3.54 at the end of our year one and i can affirm that he just graduated with a 1st class from accounting dept at unilag. the fact is that in unilag,the environment is good for learning and if u are good u reap what u sow .i just graduated frm this same dept and we didnt have any 1st class. even while in level 3 ,the h.o.d downsize the nos of 2.1 frm 80 to 50 (d higest ever
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by luvola(m): 3:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by gokuu(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
IMO, its a bit low, out of 3224, only just 118 in a University that has the best set of students from the best set of secondary schools in Nigeria made first-class.
Re: Nigeria: 118 Students Graduate From Unilag With First Class Honours by gokuu(m): 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
fork adict:

The fact that your school is a school where failure is worshipped should not necessarily mean that all other schools should tow that line. UNILAG is a school where success is encouraged, our systems abhors failures.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti 2013/2014 Admission / UI Senate Orders Immediate Closure Of Alexander Brown Hall / Agbami Parties Donates Classrooms To Community Model High School, Isieke Umuahia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.