Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443990 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) (1233) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 10:16pm On May 20, 2020
Its very difficult

emmanuelewumi:

Exactly, capital will appreciate when a business grows.

In 2004 Peterside Atedo the founding CEO of Stanbic IBTC Bank, said his friends who invested 100k when he started his bank in 1989, had the value of their investments grew to N120 million 15 years after.

That is the geometrical increase that can happen with a business or Investment in a growth company operating in a growth sector.

The bank grew from no branch, no customer, no profit in 1989, to millions of customers, multiple branches, billion Naira profit etc in 2004.

You also need N20 millon to get a bank license in 1989, you also need over 300k to buy a new Honda Accord from Honda's Place in 1989.

So the 100k invested by Atedo's friends could only buy fairly used cars in 1989 and the car should be a scrap valued at 50k in 2020

Atedo and his friends who believed in him and invested in his dreams are now billionaires in Naira.

But how easy, is it to get honest and trustworthy business partners nowadays?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by habayommy: 10:44pm On May 20, 2020
TotoNaRubber:
Use it to buy cheap dollar if you can and put under your pillow, beware of the one million boys.

The "one million boys" part really got me laughing cheesy cheesy
Thanks of the advice
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by habayommy: 10:49pm On May 20, 2020
Godbpraised:
EGUNGUN be careful. i would advise you can leave the funds in ur account banks offer 4.5%, the condition are u do not withdraw from the money more than 3 times. In summary ensure u understand Fully what u are investing into.

OK.. Thank for this advice. I'm thinking of using the fund to increase my stanbic IBTC mmf
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hollerbaby: 11:06pm On May 20, 2020
But 1million 20years ago no be beans o, anyway people that invested the little they had will be making a to do list now sha
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 20, 2020
seyisanya:
The statement in block letters is very true and I completely agree, but there is need for a paradigm shift. I feel we need to begin to expatiate all the investment quotes out there, which includes CASH IS KING, so that intending investors can have a clearer understanding of how things work.

Yes, invest in what you understand but be open-minded and seek knowledge of other investment vehicles. I know people that only understand fixed deposit as a viable form of passive investment/income. When you try to educate them about Treasury bills or Mutual Funds, they quickly respond with the usual statement, ''I ONLY INVEST IN WHAT I UNDERSTAND''. But we all know that understanding how T-bills and MMF work is not rocket science.

It took me 6 months on this thread and reading other materials including talking to my banker friends to start TB investment. Right now rate is low and am still trying to understand bond. When I do which I'm getting conversant, I will invest by next year. Next will be to study shares which it seems I will have to get a classroom tutorials to master it. Don't start selling kerosene because papa emeka that sells kerosene looks buoyant. Go and learn the art of selling kerosene before you commence.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 12:14am On May 21, 2020
hollerbaby:
But 1million 20years ago no be beans o, anyway people that invested the little they had will be making a to do list now sha
You are smart.
So you now see that the person that invested 1 million 20 years ago to make 20 million today didn't actually make any significant profit worthy to celebrate na?
Just nominal value.No true value attained.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 1:08am On May 21, 2020
abraolas1:
is there anyone here that operates Invest Now (United Capital) Bond Funds or Balanced fund ?

just want to ask how it Operates and your Experience so far..

thanks

cc: Emmanuelewunmi

I do. Just like the normal mutual fund..i.e MMF. Of the 2 Bond Funds is more stable. It grows gradually with very minimal risk. While balance have some elements of risks embedded in their Investment plan.

In my trial with UCAP Balance Funds, N50,000 I invested reduced to about N43,600 within a month. I had to withdraw N43,000 and send to my MMF account. But I noticed it has started growing because the N600+ I left there has risen to N700. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 1:20am On May 21, 2020
Barrytone:

It took me 6 months on this thread and reading other materials including talking to my banker friends to start TB investment. Right now rate is low and am still trying to understand bond. When I do which I'm getting conversant, I will invest by next year. Next will be to study shares which it seems I will have to get a classroom tutorials to master it. Don't start selling kerosene because papa emeka that sells kerosene looks buoyant. Go and learn the art of selling kerosene before you commence.
Exactly! You just buttressed my point.

We need to seek knowledge so we can learn and grow.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by contumely2: 1:38am On May 21, 2020
I am inviting fairfora, Fid4fid
Truthdefender ,dasuks and sultaan to this great thread.
They are seasoned business men.

Sirs, you might go through a few of the last pages. I am sure you will find people here interesting. I adjudge this thread a respository of good brains on Nairaland.

A round of applause for them.

LET ME NOW encourage others to invite pundits they know here. I am sure they will appreciate the thread and also contribute.

cc adaorank

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fineguy11(m): 3:01am On May 21, 2020
Godbpraised:
Are u protected by CBN/NDIC
Yes, all Deposit money banks and mfb's operate in a highly regulated environment...I.e monitored by CBN , with deposits insured by NDIC.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 3:38am On May 21, 2020
freeman67:

I do. Just like the normal mutual fund..i.e MMF. Of the 2 Bond Funds is more stable. It grows gradually with very minimal risk. While balance have some elements of risks embedded in their Investment plan.

In my trial with UCAP Balance Funds, N50,000 I invested reduced to about N43,600 within a month. I had to withdraw N43,000 and send to my MMF account. But I noticed it has started growing because the N600+ I left there has risen to N700. Hope this helps.

yeah it helps....

thank you and God bless you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 5:22am On May 21, 2020
contumely2:

Sirs, you might go through a few of the last pages. I am sure you will find people here interesting. I adjudge this thread a respository of good brains on Nairaland.

LET ME NOW encourage others to invite pundits they know here. I am sure they will appreciate the thread and also contribute.

cc adaorank
Let the thread grow naturally. Calling in experts brings in a moral burden of being always right. We are all here to learn. I’ve been reading here daily since 2014.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by blithe: 5:38am On May 21, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57am On May 21, 2020
contumely2:

cc adaorank

Brody thanks for the invite. But pls dont flatter me, Im not quite an expert.

Here to learn as well and will contribute only when I have a bit of experience with or knowledge of what is being discussed smiley.

Reason Im here(nairaland) is to avoid the overbearing smart-asses elsewhere.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 5:59am On May 21, 2020
speak2lift:
I got his confirmation...sorry I had been distracted at work of late. This Work from Home thingy is a big scam. You find yourself working longer hours.

Ok - so he confirms that minimum holding period is 90 days.

90 days for the MMF or the Bond Fund ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 6:14am On May 21, 2020
Nnamz:

Sometimes I wonder if it is the same Nigeria I know you guys are talking about. You know the longest I've ever waited to be served in a bank here in Canada? 5 minutes or less. You know how many times I've lined up to withdraw money from an ATM? ZERO. Yes you read that right. Zero times that I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that uses ATMs. I could from the comfort of my bedroom take a photo of a cheque and have the funds deposited in my bank account, within seconds, without leaving my house. Abeg stop all these unnecessary hype about Nigeria. Fear God na
you can also use the drive through ATM without stepping out of your car, you can as well deposit using the drive through.
You can deposit and withdraw your cheques with mobile apps, you don't get charged for sms or stamp duty when you deposit or withdraw, the bank officials don't ask for tips when you withdraw, you don't go through the back door to get special treatment because you're rich. My bank pays back all charges using other banks atm. Banks give you credit card protection incase you are being hacked or someone who's not you had used you card, you get all your money back.
So far i think Nigeria has the most backward Banks i have ever seen and they are all thieves.

I know usa banks takes about 24hrs for transfer to get through, That gives you enough time to put hold on the transfer and make necessary adjustments. If it's that urgent, you should have done it yesterday. beside, banks provide app like zelle and you can use cashapp for instant money transfer, they have no charges.

If you're doing well in Nigeria, don't give Nigeria any credit. You're just at the mercy of God. If you doubt me, quit your job and see if you will ever get another one. Lol!

Some will say I'm very negative about Nigeria,
yes i am. Imagine my older sister who's a lecturer in nigeria is making less than a street begger in the U.S.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2tonie: 7:35am On May 21, 2020
freeman67:

For the United capital bond fund, is capital preserved?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:43am On May 21, 2020
Thisnut:
you can also use the drive through ATM without stepping out of your car, you can as well deposit using the drive through.
You can deposit and withdraw your cheques with mobile apps, you don't get charged for sms or stamp duty when you deposit or withdraw, the bank officials don't ask for tips when you withdraw, you don't go through the back door to get special treatment because you're rich. My bank pays back all charges using other banks atm. Banks give you credit card protection incase you are being hacked or someone who's not you had used you card, you get all your money back.
So far i think Nigeria has the most backward Banks i have ever seen and they are all thieves.

I know usa banks takes about 24hrs for transfer to get through, That gives you enough time to put hold on the transfer and make necessary adjustments. If it's that urgent, you should have done it yesterday. beside, banks provide app like zelle and you can use cashapp for instant money transfer, they have no charges.

If you're doing well in Nigeria, don't give Nigeria any credit. You're just at the mercy of God. If you doubt me, quit your job and see if you will ever get another one. Lol!

yes i am. Imagine my older sister who's a lecturer in nigeria is making less than a street begger in the U.S.
u are unreasonable...u keep comparing Apple to oranges...must it be about Job applications .how about bussiness owners etc your problem is that u covert dollars direct to Naira as if Dollars is our money for exchange of Goods and service.....even if a begger earn 800 dollars monthly u will be on the sleeping on the streets while your sister on 240k will have 500k 2 bedroom to stay ....for the begger to have comparable life to your sister he needs over 4000 dollars monthly....your sister will own a home within 10 years of working in Nigeria saving 100 k permonth while begger in America will be on the street with terminal disease and can only dream of house

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:47am On May 21, 2020
If u dey america and enjoying life fine by washing plates ,driving cabs ,security or medical doctor and been a second class citizen that Good for u...and your choice ...biside there over 50000 americans ,25000 brits all staying in Nigeria and having a blast ..

13 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:52am On May 21, 2020
When I was in Nigeria on a US State Department Delegation in March 2018, the Consulate in Lagos estimated there were 100,000 US Citizens in Nigeria, and 20,000 in the rest of West Africa. Mission Nigeria is the largest non-resident visa ....if Nigeria is God forsaken place....how come 100k americans citizens are In Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:57am On May 21, 2020
Thisnut:

if Nigeria was so bad as u thinks ...what are u doing In a Nigeria treasury bills investment thread ....why not american investment treasury bills thread ?...u abuse a country as a shit hole but invest the the financials instrutments of the shit hole that spycophancy.......burundi is a dead country so even if there tb is 70 percents i cant invest a cent there

17 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:04am On May 21, 2020
Thisnut:

driving throug an atm is now an achievement or holding transfer for 24 hr .....giving tips ....oga American is the global headquaters of tips ....stop all this your false Narration of an eldorado..if u dont pay for sms charge u will pay for parking and tv licence ,property tax abi

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:11am On May 21, 2020
talk2tonie:

For the United capital bond fund, is capital preserved?

Yes, capital is preserved.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:14am On May 21, 2020
9jatriot:
I do not think one can accuse you of missing anything, but the point being made is that the standard of living in some towns and villages is so low, accommodation so cheap and the communal style of living in some of these towns and villages makes it impractical for anyone to be homeless except maybe Hausa boys who do not mind sleeping anywhere anyway, that is the point being made.
Accommodation in Lagos is very expensive so you can expect many homeless people. No body is claiming that Nigeria is now an Eldorado, we are just just saying that not living in a duplex does not mean you are homeless.
Even if accommodation is 1k a month, there still people who can't save that in a month. Also you will not take 1k to a landlord and expect him to tell you to move in.

I rented a very cheap accommodation for an homeless dude 2k a month. But the total money I paid was 65k. That's for 2 years rent plus agent and agreement fee. 2k a month looks very cheap but there are people who have never counted 65k in their life before let alone owning it.

People are homeless for several reasons. Some are homeless cos they lack sense or are not normal. Some are homeless cos they are addicted to drugs. They prefer to spend all their money on hard drugs. Many other cases like that.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 8:25am On May 21, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
u are unreasonable...u keep comparing Apple to oranges...must it be about Job applications .how about bussiness owners etc your problem is that u covert dollars direct to Naira as if Dollars is our money for exchange of Goods and service.....even if a begger earn 800 dollars monthly u will be on the sleeping on the streets while your sister on 240k will have 500k 2 bedroom to stay ....for the begger to have comparable life to your sister he needs over 4000 dollars monthly....your sister will own a home within 10 years of working in Nigeria saving 100 k permonth while begger in America will be on the street with terminal disease and can only dream of house
sir, homelessness in the U.S is a thing of choice. There is one homeless guy
i was talking to, he said he can't get a job because he's a junky and can pass a drug test for job applications. There are lots of folks who became homeless in the U.S because they don't want anyone, including uncle sam to tell them what to do, hence freedom and homelessness. Those homeless folks are on foodstamps, they will sell money value for less just to buy drugs and, cigarettes and liquors as they can only use the food stamps to buy essential food

Homelessness in the U.S is drug related. Hardly before you see someone who's homeless in the U.S that is not a junky. even some millionaires like Macaulay Culkin (home alone star actor) is homeless. It's more like a mental condition vs lack of homes. Some teen runs out of their parent's home because they can have their parents telling em what to do and homelessness creeps into them.

True you said why compare apple and orange. Nigeria should know her place and stop deceiving her citizens, calling herself the giant of the black race. Nigeria is just an average Joe in my opinion.

You know it, that's why you have been looking for a way to send you wife and kids away to save their future. Your younger brother is out of the this shithole, probably never coming again except for political appointments or to intimidate others with his filty lucre.
Stop misleading others sir, Practice what you preach.

Drive through ATM isn't an achievement, but very convenient and saves time which you can use for other things

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 8:30am On May 21, 2020
I'd like to respond to you but I'd like a clarification first. What city, town or village was this homeless dude?
Was he an indigene of that particular place?

OgogoroFreak:
Even if accommodation is 1k a month, there still people who can't save that in a month. Also you will not take 1k to a landlord and expect him to tell you to move in.

I rented a very cheap accommodation for an homeless dude 2k a month. But the total money I paid was 65k. That's for 2 years rent plus agent and agreement fee. 2k a month looks very cheap but there are people who have never counted 65k in their life before let alone owning it.

People are homeless for several reasons. Some are homeless cos they lack sense or are not normal. Some are homeless cos they are addicted to drugs. They prefer to spend all their money on hard drugs. Many other cases like that.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2tonie: 8:32am On May 21, 2020
freeman67:

Yes, capital is preserved.

Thanks for your response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:43am On May 21, 2020
Save, invest and buy assets.

N4000 invested in money market fund that grew at 10% from 1982 to date would have grown to N150,000 if allowed to compound. You will be getting an annual interest of N15,000 in 2020

N4000 invested in low cost housing estates of Jakande in 1982 would have grown to about N5 million in 2020. Generating rental income of about 300k

N4000 invested in dollars in 1982 would have grown to over N2 million in 2020.

I don't have the capitalisation history of Nestle from 1982, but N100,000 invested in 1999 has grown to over N8 million in 2020, getting a dividend of 400k from the investment.

If you are diversified and have invested in capital appreciating and income generating assets, you will do well even in the midst of inflation and currency devaluation

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:45am On May 21, 2020
[quote author=Thisnut post=89787628]sir, homelessness in the U.S is a thing of choice. There is one homeless guy
i was talking to, he said he can't get a job because he's a junky and can pass a drug test for job applications. There are lots of folks who became homeless in the U.S because they don't want anyone, including uncle sam to tell them what to do, hence freedom and homelessness.

Homelessness in the U.S is drug related. Hardly before you see someone who's homeless in the U.S that is not a junky. even some millionaires like Macaulay Culkin (home alone star actor) is homeless. It's more like a mental condition vs lack of homes. Some teen runs out of their parent's home because they can have their parents telling em what to do and homelessness creeps into them.

True you said why compare apple and orange. Nigeria should know her place and stop deceiving her citizens, calling herself the giant of the black race. Nigeria is just an average Joe in my opinion.

You know it, that's why you have been looking for a way to send you wife and kids away to save their future. Your younger brother is out of the this shithole, probably never coming again except for political appointments or to oppress others with his filty lucre.

Stop misleading others sir. Practice what you preach.
[/quote) u are mistaking my points i dont have any problem with people migrating, i dont think or believe Nigeria is any gaint if the size of the economy is not reflected on the millions of poor citizens...2 i also believe that american has more to offer a human more than Nigeria 3 Nigeria is currently about to impode cos of youth unemployements or lack of oppurnties 4 my sister graduated with a 2.1 in English in 2007 at 21 but have been doing contract work ..from zain to first bank ...she just got a govt job in 2020 ( permant position) through connection...my girl friend an orphan graduted with a 2.1 in education in 2016 just got a job with British council...this unfair for any human....my issue is with people doing well in Nigeria ,example a bank manager resigning at 47 and going to start an an uber driver ..it a big no but a young engineer earning 75k in Lagos entering the pool for canada it a Good move

14 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04am On May 21, 2020
emmanuelewumi:
Save, invest and buy assets.

N4000 invested in money market fund that grew at 10% from 1982 to date would have grown to N150,000 if allowed to compound. You will be getting an annual interest of N15,000 in 2020

N4000 invested in low cost housing estates of Jakande in 1982 would have grown to about N5 million in 2020. Generating rental income of about 300k

N4000 invested in dollars in 1982 would have grown to over N2 million in 2020.

I don't have the capitalisation history of Nestle from 1982, but N100,000 invested in 1999 has grown to over N8 million in 2020, getting a dividend of 400k from the investment.

If you are diversified and have invested in capital appreciating and income generating assets, you will do well even in the midst of inflation and currency devaluation

1982 to 2020 is 38 years, what is our life span. Kids don't build houses. 38 + age as at when house was built, the builder might have died. I keep saying, building is for next generation and not investment for the living. You didn't include cost of maintenance and tenant court cases.
In all, to be a good parent, leave something for your kids but definitely not as an investment for you on your mind. I also begged earlier for you to also quote failed shares.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:12am On May 21, 2020
Barrytone:

1982 to 2020 is 38 years, what is our life span. Kids don't build houses. 38 + age as at when house was built, the builder might have died. I keep saying, building is for next generation and not investment for the living. You didn't include cost of maintenance and tenant court cases.
In all, to be a good parent, leave something for your kids but definitely not as an investment for you on your mind. I also begged earlier for you to also quote failed shares.

Pick what is useful to you and discard the rest. And if non is useful, so be it.

The key word is save, invest, buy capital appreciating and income generating assets, be diversified across different assets and Investments.

It is left to you to plan for a year, 10 years, 20 years and above because of our children and retirement

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rotiix(m): 9:14am On May 21, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
When I was in Nigeria on a US State Department Delegation in March 2018, the Consulate in Lagos estimated there were 100,000 US Citizens in Nigeria, and 20,000 in the rest of West Africa. Mission Nigeria is the largest non-resident visa ....if Nigeria is God forsaken place....how come 100k americans citizens are In Nigeria
And do u know how many Nigerians are in America? If yes calculate the percentage sire

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) (1233) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.