Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,825 members, 7,844,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2052) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4479246 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2049) (2050) (2051) (2052) (2053) (2054) (2055) ... (2237) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
XiaoLi:
A quick question for you, how much do you think producing a 2kg cat fish will cost, you own your food production machine and you are using earthen pond?

Why are you trying to use reverse psychology to learn from him? I thought you were the one making tashere billions from the fish business?

Today you are a fish billionaire, tomorrow real estate mogul, next tomorrow trader of tashere 100 million goods. On top of that you have all the time in the world to be stressing about one lazy youth calling you audio billionaire Uber driver on Nairaland. You need help.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by creategist: 9:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
[quote author=skydiver01 post=108861970]Good questions below being that time of year one reflects on the year and perhaps make new or adjusted plans for the future.
Re: investments, my responses below would most certainly be boring.

Perhaps not selling some FGN bonds (2034) when yields hit record lows between November 2020 and February 2021 for about 60% profit. This unrealised profit could have been used to buy more in the following months after yields rose again later in the year. But not complaining - still proceeded to compound the coupons.

Please are yields actually able to return up to 60% on FGN bonds? Please pardon my ignorance but it sounds so much! And could you kindly point me in the direction of the portal or site through which you monitor these fluctuations in yields of same bonds. Thanks for this piece of education.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2021
XiaoLi:
No we have many audios here na, Xiaoli is their head grin grin grin

Real sector is still the best weither sarcasm or not, I bought some plots of land this year somewhere in the Island, sand filled and sold some by september with 20% profit, if i sell the remaining ones by February i will be sure of 30% profit but im keeping them to build and sell.

Oga Nigerian economy is programmed in a way that the rich gets richer while the poor gets poorer, if you know you know.

I never asked you for all these unnecessary details, did I?

Anyway it shows we don't have audios here Sha.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2021
2022 I will try to reduce the no of shares I have.I have plenty different company shares even if na afolabi units.I will sell them to increase the quantity of good dividend paying stock so when dividend lands it will be big for me to reinvent in bond.
Then I will move most of my cash to MM funds, imagine have 6 zero in current account and hybrid account for months without yealding nothing because you are not using
it immediately.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2021
Bad belle everywhere, don't worry i dont care either, what matters to me is closing deals and smilling to the bank not what one online audio investor thinks about me grin grin grin grin
emmanuelewumi:

I never asked you for all these unnecessary details, did I?

Anyway it shows we don't have audios here Sha.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2021
XiaoLi:
Bad belle everywhere, don't worry i dont care either, what matters to me is closing deals and smilling to the bank not what one online audio investor thinks about me grin grin grin grin

I said I never asked for the unnecessary details you shared with me.

Anyway it shows you are not audio

How is that bad belle.?

Keep on closing the deals, keep on dreaming big.

Dreams do turn to reality if you keep on striving

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:45pm On Dec 27, 2021
Biafran4life:
2022 I will try to reduce the no of shares I have.I have plenty different company shares even if na afolabi units.I will sell them to increase the quantity of good dividend paying stock so when dividend lands it will be big for me to reinvent in bond.
Then I will move most of my cash to MM funds, imagine have 6 zero in current account and hybrid account for months without yealding nothing because you are not using
it immediately.

How many stocks do you have in your portfolio?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
skydiver01:
Good questions below being that time of year one reflects on the year and perhaps make new or adjusted plans for the future.
Re: investments, my responses below would most certainly be boring.

Perhaps not selling some FGN bonds (2034) when yields hit record lows between November 2020 and February 2021 for about 60% profit. This unrealised profit could have been used to buy more in the following months after yields rose again later in the year. But not complaining - still proceeded to compound the coupons.

As was done in prior years, buying more equity with dividends and more FGN bonds with coupons which have been increasing their yields annually. But I would add that by far the greatest return from 2020 to 2021 were FX & FX equity holdings (e.g. Tesla, Nvidia, Chevron, Exxon etc).

For 2022, though pleased with the diversified portfolio, one may explore selling a real estate property (Abuja) to reduce tenancy stress and perhaps increase the dividend equity holdings, FGN bonds or FX. Will decide in Q1 2022.

2022 also being a year before the elections, increased perceived investment risk may be given to Nigeria which may present opportunities to invest at lower levels which will be good if one continues to take a long-term view. Well, its not long to find out.

Wishing us all an excellent 2022 and beyond.

Very good and interesting
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:49pm On Dec 27, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
ositadima1:

Mmiri ama efi na anya!

Meaning what?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 10:01pm On Dec 27, 2021
XiaoLi:
A quick question for you, how much do you think producing a 2kg cat fish will cost, you own your food production machine and you are using earthen pond?
How does this relate to the profit you put up there??

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Profit will be determined by the quantity sold.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 10:14pm On Dec 27, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
What are our investment mistakes in 2021?

What are the Investments and businesses that gave us the best returns in 2021?

What are our investment plans for 2022?

Investment mistakes:
Not having liquid cash. I missed out on some same day opportunities because I didn't have instantly available liquidity.

Best returns.
Stocks: Tesla (200%). Microsoft, VOO, Zoom and Facebook also gave very good returns. I'm taking profits now Sha except Microsoft and VOO cause they pay dividends.

Crypto: Ethereum (300%) Bitcoin (80%)

2022 plans
1. I want to do some physical investment. So I will continue to try different business ideas.
2. Researching about Trust Funds.
3. Putting less than 2% of my capital into NFT's and other metaverse projects.
4. Do all I did in 2021.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2021
When your dreams have turned to reality you can only aim to grow bigger, thanks for the encouragement.
emmanuelewumi:

I said I never asked for the unnecessary details you shared with me.

Anyway it shows you are not audio

How is that bad belle.?

Keep on closing the deals, keep on dreaming big.

Dreams do turn to reality if you keep on striving

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 10:25pm On Dec 27, 2021
You said making 20M from 80,000 catfish in 4 months is not possible, so i want you to answer that question so that we will take it from there.
Nezzjnr:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 10:46pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yields have an inverse relationship with bond prices. When the yields fell, bond prices rose materially over the period referenced. The yield of the bond was not 60%, the capital appreciation of the bond was. You can check FGN bond closing mid prices daily on FMDQ as well as TBills on the secondary market. https://www.fmdqgroup.com/fmdq-exchange/market-information-data/

creategist:

Please are yields actually able to return up to 60% on FGN bonds? Please pardon my ignorance but it sounds so much! And could you kindly point me in the direction of the portal or site through which you monitor these fluctuations in yields of same bonds. Thanks for this piece of education.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 10:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
XiaoLi:
You said making 20M from 80,000 catfish in 4 months is not possible, so i want you to answer that question so that we will take it from there.

Nezzjnr please don’t answer this ‘fish mogul’ trying to use reverse psychology to learn from you.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 12:03am On Dec 28, 2021
Gbas Gbos everywhere grin grin grin

Lemme close my 500 billion naira deal, I will be back soon......

If you like call me audio, who cares tongue

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

How many stocks do you have in your portfolio?
From my 3 brokers.i have 38 different company shares both the dead and living lol. The dead are about 10 companies.The amout i bought then was big to me then though in thousands as they trade not in Kobo Kobo and naira had better value eg japaul oil , tantalizer,Dunlop,aso savings, Union homes ,abc and insurance companies
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 2:21am On Dec 28, 2021
Biafran4life:
it immediately.

Smart move......don't forget this in 2022
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joboy834: 3:37am On Dec 28, 2021
You can do Technical analysis, Fundamental analysis, you can seek Alpha and find Beta. You can calculate the Sharpe ratio, apply the Black-Scholes model, and read Bloomberg and some lad will buy and HODL Shiba Inu coins and tweet “WAGMI” with those rocket emojis and outperform your portfolio by a country mile �

This got me cracking grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:41am On Dec 28, 2021
Tranquility2345:

Nezzjnr please don’t answer this ‘fish mogul’ trying to use reverse psychology to learn from you.
I'm just waiting for him to shoot himself on the foot.

The business is profitable no doubt. But the figure he's calling isn't realistic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nezzjnr: 6:52am On Dec 28, 2021
XiaoLi:
Do you know the price of Catfish feeds now in the market??.

Who are your target markets??

Hope you know that some of the women who come to buy these fishes are diabolical?? cheesy.

Do you have plans on storage... Packaging??

What about drugs and vaccines??

What of if you don't see customers coming... How do you intend processing it??

Make i stop here.... Meet a practical farmer before venturing it.

Don't go and commit funds because an Internet farmer told you can make 20m under 4 months.

In Agric business never calculate how much you'll make from a particular venture before starting it up... Always prepare for the worst.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:12am On Dec 28, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:

Investment mistakes:
Not having liquid cash. I missed out on some same day opportunities because I didn't have instantly available liquidity.

Best returns.
Stocks: Tesla (200%). Microsoft, VOO, Zoom and Facebook also gave very good returns. I'm taking profits now Sha except Microsoft and VOO cause they pay dividends.

Crypto: Ethereum (300%) Bitcoin (80%)

2022 plans
1. I want to do some physical investment. So I will continue to try different business ideas.
2. Researching about Trust Funds.
3. Putting less than 2% of my capital into NFT's and other metaverse projects.
4. Do all I did in 2021.

Cash or cash flow is very important

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:15am On Dec 28, 2021
Biafran4life:
From my 3 brokers.i have 38 different company shares both the dead and living lol. The dead are about 10 companies.The amout i bought then was big to me then though in thousands as they trade not in Kobo Kobo and naira had better value eg japaul oil , tantalizer,Dunlop,aso savings, Union homes ,abc and insurance companies

You should have sold the dead stocks. Any stock that doesn't pay dividend is a no no
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:18am On Dec 28, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Do you know the price of Catfish feeds now in the market??.

Who are your target markets??

Hope you know that some of the women who come to buy these fishes are diabolical?? cheesy.

Do you have plans on storage... Packaging??

What about drugs and vaccines??

What of if you don't see customers coming... How do you intend processing it??

Make i stop here.... Meet a practical farmer before venturing it.

Don't go and commit funds because an Internet farmer told you can make 20m under 4 months.

In Agric business never calculate how much you'll make from a particular venture before starting it up... Always prepare for the worst.

You are a bad belle.

Experience is the best teacher.

You don't tell people how to spend or invest their money.

Thank you for the free lecture on due diligence and risk management in agribusiness

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mohzus: 7:59am On Dec 28, 2021
Since then talk about this thread for that other thread . Fathercristmas done come here with him plenty monicker to scatter this thread . But my bosses here , please let's ignore the dude and he'll go into Oblivion . And to that troll who thinks nobody know him , here na financial school o , Calm down and learn make u fit escape poverty and beggi beggi.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:03am On Dec 28, 2021
Mohzus:
Since then talk about this thread for that other thread . Fathercristmas done come here with him plenty monicker to scatter this thread . But my bosses here , please let's ignore the dude and he'll go into Oblivion . And to that troll who thinks nobody know him , here na financial school o , Calm down and learn make u fit escape poverty and beggi beggi.

Where is the other thread?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 8:09am On Dec 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Will you buy a 10 years FGN bond at 3%? Will you give a loan at 3% for the next 10 years

Investors are not fools, the people at CBN and DMO are not fools.

Nobody will buy a FGN bond at 3%, rather it will lead to a bullish run in the secondary market for bonds as we have few months ago when bonds enjoyed 60% and more capital appreciation from their bond Investments

The pricing of a bond must consider inflation and currency devaluation.

Most on this thread stopped buying TBs when they dropped below 10%. That hasn't stopped offerings from being oversubscribed by over 10x. Fact is that the institutional money the government relies on to fill up such bonds have shown they'd bid for rates much lower than 12%

The just concluded bond which was open for just 5 days was oversubscribed by over 300%. The one before by over 400%. If this last bond offering was between 7-10%, it'd still be oversubscribed. It was clear this last offering would be oversubscribed. If a government who spends most of its revenue servicing debts insists on continued borrowing, then they should do so at lowest rates feasible.
Will you take on a loan at 20% when you could easily get same loan with same terms at 14%?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 8:26am On Dec 28, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

It is a two way thing, when bond returns are low funds move to the stock market, when the stock market is bullish prices of bonds will fall and yield can be as high as 20%.

Successful Investors will always move funds to the asset classes that will give good returns be it real estate, metals, commodities, money market, forex, bonds, equities etc.

Investors would invest where they get the best rates but it's the job of the government to eck out the best rates when they go borrowing. So far they offer exorbitant rates on both foreign and local bonds and come back and say oversubscription shows investor confidence.

There are certain effects of current bond rates
1. The stock market will struggle to go on any sustained rally as institutions will rather take the assured 12% on bonds than.

2. Bank loans will struggle to get below 12% as bond rates are one of the benchmarks used. Our economy needs single digit loans

3. Sustained government local borrowing at rates over 10% (if large enough) means the government is likely printing money at that rates. Hence inflation will not get below 10%

4. Currency wise, by a mix of inflation and devaluation the currency will struggle.

I wonder how the government really benefits from these rates.

I'm not so much of a long-term bond person. But if given the option between a 10yr US bond of 1.4, Chinese bond of 2.8, Nigerian bond of 12% and Argentinian bond of 48%, my pick would be between the first two. The maths always adds up at the end

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:27am On Dec 28, 2021
jedisco:

Most on this thread stopped buying TBs when they dropped below 10%. That hasn't stopped offerings from being oversubscribed by over 10x. Fact is that the institutional money the government relies on to fill up such bonds have shown they'd bid for rates much lower than 12%

The just concluded bond which was open for just 5 days was oversubscribed by over 300%. The one before by over 400%. If this last bond offering was between 7-10%, it'd still be oversubscribed. It was clear this last offering would be oversubscribed. If a government who spends most of its revenue servicing debts insists on continued borrowing, then they should do so at lowest rates feasible.
Will you take on a loan at 20% when you could easily get same loan with same terms at 14%?

In this case it is experts at DMO that determine the coupon rates after taking into consideration inflation and future currency devaluation.

Ask yourself why the coupon was even increased from a so called high rate of 12.8% to 13%.

Investors will always move money to where they can get better returns, I hope PENCOM will soon remove the restrictions that prevent pension fund managers from Investing outside Nigeria.

Currently Investors are getting dividend yields of 11% in the stock market, dividend payout ratio of 60%, this is far better than a 13% coupon from a bond on the long run

(1) (2) (3) ... (2049) (2050) (2051) (2052) (2053) (2054) (2055) ... (2237) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Viqtour(m), Itsrm(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.