Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,958 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4429380 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 10:12pm On Sep 26, 2016
jpphilips:

Properties dnt appreciate in recession, it actually depreciates, so long as his 17% edges against inflation (unlikely though) then TBN is a sure bet

Over time is medium to long term.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:07am On Sep 27, 2016
Thanks...Please I want find out something ,I v 6months running TB that will mature on the 16th March 2017 and I intend rolling it over to 1year .Is it possible?

My bank is Fidelity bank.[/quote]

I don't know about Fidelity Bank..Haven't used them before...I don't even have account with them.. But I believe other member that know about here will comment. You can also walk into ur branch or mail them to enquire.

@Pastor If you bid 13% for 91 days and it turns out to be 18% nothing will happen...Your bank will give you the percentage you bided. Interest is paid in the banks I use between 1-3 days of auction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 8:41am On Sep 27, 2016
freeman67:

Thanks...Please I want find out something ,I v 6months running TB that will mature on the 16th March 2017 and I intend rolling it over to 1year .Is it possible?

My bank is Fidelity bank.

I don't know about Fidelity Bank..Haven't used them before...I don't even have account with them.. But I believe other member that know about here will comment. You can also walk into ur branch or mail them to enquire.

@Pastor If you bid 13% for 91 days and it turns out to be 18% nothing will happen...Your bank will give you the percentage you bided. Interest is paid in the banks I use between 1-3 days of auction.

Thank's for understanding me . so interest is paid befor the end of 91 e.t. c days ? . how many times in a month/year did tb tread? . what if i bid 13% and the next bid is 12% will i own bid drop or what? .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by caesaraba(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
Thank's for understanding me . so interest is paid befor the end of 91 e.t. c days ? . how many times in a month/year did tb tread? . what if i bid 13% and the next bid is 12% will i own bid drop or what? .

Let me put in simple terms. If you have 1 million Naira in your account and use it to buy bills at 13% interest rate for 1 year(364 days), 870,000 Naira would be debited from your account, leaving you with 130,000 (13% of 1 million). Upon expiry of the the one year (tenor), You will be credited 1 million Naira. So you see, interest is paid immediately.

Now, for a 91 day t-Bill, you divide 13% by 4 = 3.25%. That's your interest.

Please elaborate on the 'bolded.'

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 9:44am On Sep 27, 2016
caesaraba:

Let me put in simple terms. If you have 1 million Naira in your account and use it to buy bills at 13% interest rate for 1 year(364 days), 870,000 Naira would be debited from your account, leaving you with 130,000 (13% of 1 million). Upon expiry of the the one year (tenor), You will be credited 1 million Naira. So you see, interest is paid immediately.

grin grin Thank's for understand me and the simple way you put it for me to understand JAH BLESS. so i can use the interest as the 870000 is debited from my account? .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by caesaraba(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
grin grin Thank's for understand me and the simple way you put it for me to understand JAH BLESS. so i can use the interest as the 870000 is debited from my account? .

Yes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 9:51am On Sep 27, 2016
caesaraba:

Yes.
thank's . what of if i bid 18% and there bid is 17% can they put me tru?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by caesaraba(m): 10:04am On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
thank's . what of if i bid 18% and there bid is 17% can they put me tru?

No. You'd have to bid again at the next auction.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 10:15am On Sep 27, 2016
caesaraba:

No. You'd have to bid again at the next auction.
I too they ask o, how many auction's are there in one month/year? is ecobank all so good for tb ?.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by caesaraba(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
I too they ask o, how many auction's are there in one month/year? is ecobank all so good for tb ?.

Auctions are held roughly every 2 weeks.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biggybountz: 10:26am On Sep 27, 2016
godash:

Did you get any investment letter from GTB?

No I didn't . Any advice please? I am about to email my account officer about it now though

Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biggybountz: 10:36am On Sep 27, 2016
godash:

Did you get any investment letter from GTB?

Hi

No I didn't, any advice please? I am about to email my account officer about it though

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 10:38am On Sep 27, 2016
caesaraba:

Auctions are held roughly every 2 weeks.
cheesy Thank's o, so this what Feelamong,Freeman67 and you is enjoying years back? ok let me go and work for money first but Thank's for your time you gave to me.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 11:37am On Sep 27, 2016
tunene66:

Over time is medium to long term.

There is no short or medium term with inflation, what you have is "while the inflation lasts", if you bought a plot of land for 15m in 2013, and by 2015 you have spent about 25m developing it, if you run out of cash, to dispose such asset at 40m, nobody will come near it, the final disposal price will be a function of your desperation.

That was why by August 2014, when the country was heading towards recession, smart investors hedged their funds against inflation, no capital investments, by second quarter of next year, they will buy off the assets acquired by those who were not smart enough at a cheaper price.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bina33(m): 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
I have been following this topic for a while now here and have made up my mind to invest but want to get some things clear.. If let's say I use 100k to invest as my capital investment and am given 10% when it matures let's say in 90days..my capital is it always intact and do I have to invest another 100k anytime I want to bid when it's time to do the bidding and lastly which banks are the best to invest with at this time..Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 2:03pm On Sep 27, 2016
jpphilips:

There is no short or medium term with inflation, what you have is "while the inflation lasts", if you bought a plot of land for 15m in 2013, and by 2015 you have spent about 25m developing it, if you run out of cash, to dispose such asset at 40m, nobody will come near it, the final disposal price will be a function of your desperation.

That was why by August 2014, when the country was heading towards recession, smart investors hedged their funds against inflation, no capital investments, by second quarter of next year, they will buy off the assets acquired by those who were not smart enough at a cheaper price.

I hear u, it depends on a number of factors and d duration of the recession or stagflation
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Busyonkwe: 2:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
Hello House, sorry to digress but I need information from the investment gurus in the house regarding Stanbic's "SIAML Pension ETF 40" presently being offered to the public. How does it work? Is it a safe investment? and How profitable is it? I have read the prospectus but being a non-financial person, I don't seem to understand the information being provided. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 3:09pm On Sep 27, 2016
zamirikpo:
NOT THAT I HAVE ANY DOUBTS BUT PLS, THOSE WHO GET PAID THERE PRINCIPAL AFTER MATURITY SHOULD ALSO UPDATE US......

FOR HOPE-SAKE.........

THANK U.

REGARDS TO @FEELAMONG AND SO MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS WONDERFUL THREAD.......

I got mine after maturity and i re-invested with more money.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Agbaletu:

What bank do you use?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by honeyfave: 5:01pm On Sep 27, 2016
caesaraba:

This how it should be. First bank deviated from this. What they do now is to debit 1 million from your account and later credit #130,000 to u as TB interest. Anyone to collaborate this? Need to take a decision now! Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
honeyfave:

This how it should be. First bank deviated from this. What they do now is to debit 1 million from your account and later credit #130,000 to u as TB interest. Anyone to collaborate this? Need to take a decision now! Thanks
what other bank do you use? . the later credit of #130,000 is it up to one month? .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by godash(m): 5:23pm On Sep 27, 2016
Biggybountz:

Hi

No I didn't, any advice please? I am about to email my account officer about it though

Thanks

Neither have I though I've sent multiple emails.

Kindly let me know when you've gotten one.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by honeyfave: 5:43pm On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
what other bank do you use? . the later credit of #130,000 is it up to one month? .

Sorry, u will get d interest on or next day of d bidding. But the whole 1 million is removed instead of 870,000.

As caesabara explained, 870k debited as face value, leaving u 130k interest. And u still get 1 million back at d end of tenure . In simple term, u intend to invest 1mill but face value 870 k is debited from your Acct, leaving 130k as interest and u get back your 1 million at d end. At d end of whole process u gain about 260k .

pls I'm not a financial person. If I wrong someone should correct me.

Cc feelamong
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
honeyfave:

Sorry, u will get d interest on or next day of d bidding. But the whole 1 million is removed instead of 870,000.

As caesabara explained, 870k debited as face value, leaving u 130k interest. And u still get 1 million back at d end of tenure . In simple term, u intend to invest 1mill but face value 870 k is debited from your Acct, leaving 130k as interest and u get back your 1 million at d end. At d end of whole process u gain about 260k .

Cc feelamong
cant understand you well . Do they pay interest two times?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 7:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
honeyfave:

Different Banks with different styles.. It must not be the way s/he explained.... As you submit your bid with FBN they'll deduct the money from your account and put it with their custodian.. If it goes through you upfront will be credited back except if you request for them to invest it with interest..... If your bid is not successful the whole money will be credited back and if you intend to roll over it will be rolled over at their bid rate/% for that auction..... but with some banks once you miss the auction you will av to wait for the next even if the bank bid succeeded..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
honeyfave:

Cc feelamong
Hello freeman67, please read this post i think some thing is wrong and what is that? is what i want to no . one love .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
What bank do you use?

Zenith Bank. I have been investing since 2013.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Agbaletu:

Zenith Bank. I have been investing since 2013.
and do they take as from #100,000?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 9:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
and do they take as from #100,000?

I am not really sure because i have not invested less than 1MN. I heard the minimum they accept is 1MN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2016

thank u jare......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by honeyfave: 12:32am On Sep 28, 2016
Double post
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by honeyfave: 12:37am On Sep 28, 2016
caesaraba:

honeyfave:

honeyfave:

Cc feelamong

Cc ukay2 thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Learner247 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.