Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,738 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445262 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lalaska(m): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2017
feelamong:

we all can share the rates being offered by the various banks here....

that way we can then compare the rates and go to the ones with the best rates..

Good point but that will only be in retrospect since you can only know bank rate after the bid is successful. And we cannot definitively say because Bank A had a reasonably good rate this time, it will also have for future bids. But good point though.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:42am On Mar 15, 2017
Lalaska:

Good point but that will only be in retrospect since you can only know bank rate after the bid is successful. And we cannot definitively say because Bank A had a reasonably good rate this time, it will also have for future bids. But good point though.

True but if we watch for like 2 - 3 auctions, we will know the banks that are consistent and also fair in the ℅ of interest they are willing to let out their to customers.

So discussing the rates given here is very important.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 10:40am On Mar 15, 2017
freeman67:

True but if we watch for like 2 - 3 auctions, we will know the banks that are consistent and also fair in the ℅ of interest they are willing to let out their to customers.

So discussing the rates give here is very important.
YES . long time sir? hope all is well ? so with #100,000 i can invest in TB now with bank's?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Paramount01(m): 12:27pm On Mar 15, 2017
NL1960:

If you have your 50m and above, then you can fix your rate otherwise you will have follow bank rate. It is as simple as that.

Which bank now have the highest interest rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
Paramount01:

Which bank now have the highest interest rate

See freeman67 response above.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GetPosted: 2:49pm On Mar 15, 2017
When is the next TB bidding?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 3:33pm On Mar 15, 2017
GetPosted:
When is the next TB bidding?

Do you have N50M now? cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GetPosted: 4:01pm On Mar 15, 2017
feelamong:

Do you have N50M now? cheesy
Lips-sealed bro cheesy
Can I please have a date for the next bidding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 4:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
GetPosted:

Lips-sealed bro cheesy
Can I please have a date for the next bidding

22nd of March 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by iykmora(m): 6:44pm On Mar 15, 2017
If only the banks can give you their rate when applying to use theirs, it would be so nice. But they'd rather hide it and place you at their uncertain rate... it's the authorities that placed us in their mercies....poor masses! embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 7:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
I subscribed for 365 days with gtb , took the chance .Will see what the rate will be b4 friday

Do someone like me have a choice now ..don't think so at the moment

I made up my mind the worse will be 16percent-17 ,since they are in control now . B4 fri i know the rate

I know they are rip-off anyway
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rizin: 7:48pm On Mar 15, 2017
iykmora:
If only the banks can give you their rate when applying to use theirs, it would be so nice. But they'd rather hide it and place you at their uncertain rate... it's the authorities that placed us in their mercies....poor masses! embarassed

Yes they can. All u need to do is to send mail to your account officer asking him or her of any TB for secondary mkt and rate.
Also remember that there is no bidding day here as it was in primary mkt.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
My network is misbehaving
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
ihedioramma:
YES . long time sir? hope all is well ? so with #100,000 i can invest in TB now with bank's?

All is well oh Sir, we thank God. I believe u can still invest with that amount. I have not seen or heard anything contrary. what seem to be in contention now is how to get the best rate but I believe as thing unfold we will know the direction to go..

Rizin:

Yes they can. All u need to do is to send mail to your account officer asking him or her of any TB for secondary mkt and rate.
Also remember that there is no bidding day here as it was in primary mkt.

He is talking about primary market. Banks seldom tell customers bid rate at primary auction because the bid has not been won. How would take if after telling u a particular bid it goes the other way?

Yes for secondary the bid is already know. In fact once you request for TB in the secondary market through a bank, they would tell you what is available (tenure and percentage).

ihedioramma:

All is well oh Sir, we thank God. I believe u can still invest with that amount. I have not seen or heard anything contrary. what seem to be in contention now is how to get the best rate but I believe as thing unfold we will know the direction to go..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2017
I think most banks will yet offer rates that are within 200 basis points of CBN's stop rate. StanbicIBTC and FBN should be among the top 5 offering the most attractive rates. competition will eventually moderate their actions as per ripping off. not just inter bank, but also intra market competition, if they should try ripping off excessively, it won't be long before smart investors start boycotting their offers for other instruments in the market. I think what really poses more threat to money market rates right now is the news of inflation tapering. I think beginning from Q2'17, we could start seeing inflation figures below 17% partly due to the fact that there's already a high Q2'16 base. The new FX policy is also expected to in the least prevent any further worsening in the inflationary trend. I expect the MPC to hold rates in their upcoming meeting this month, but perhaps when they meet in May, they may want to consider a cut, which will signal the beginning of a lower money market rates period. remember this era of high rates has been on for about 9 straight months since June 2016, basically because the CBN was hoping to attract FPIs with it, so by May, they may think that it's time to reconsider the decision since, it's really done nothing but increase the debt service cost of the FG.
Bottom line, whoever has spare cash would be better off doing long-tenor T-bills, or normal FGN bonds to lock up on these current rates, because rates could start crashing after May's MPC meeting. Let's not let this current sweetness make us forget that we have cycles in this market of ours. Nice night to everyone. God bless.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
awesomeJ:
I think most banks will yet offer rates that are within 200 basis points of CBN's stop rate. StanbicIBTC and FBN should be among the top 5 offering the most attractive rates. competition will eventually moderate their actions as per ripping off. not just inter bank, but also intra market competition, if they should try ripping off excessively, it won't be long before smart investors start boycotting their offers for other instruments in the market. I think what really poses more threat to money market rates right now is the news of inflation tapering. I think beginning from Q2'17, we could start seeing inflation figures below 17% partly due to the fact that there's already a high Q2'16 base. The new FX policy is also expected to in the least prevent any further worsening in the inflationary trend. I expect the MPC to hold rates in their upcoming meeting this month, but perhaps when they meet in May, they may want to consider a cut, which will signal the beginning of a lower money market rates period. remember this era of high rates has been on for about 9 straight months since June 2016, basically because the CBN was hoping to attract FPIs with it, so by May, they may think that it's time to reconsider the decision since, it's really done nothing but increase the debt service cost of the FG.
Bottom line, whoever has spare cash would be better off doing long-tenor T-bills, or normal FGN bonds to lock up on these current rates, because rates could start crashing after May's MPC meeting. Let's not let this current sweetness make us forget that we have cycles in this market of ours. Nice night to everyone. God bless.

Very intelligent analysis. ....exactly my thoughts.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
awesomeJ:

Weldone

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
ukay2:

Weldone
Thanks sir.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Paramount01(m): 11:43pm On Mar 15, 2017
Please which one Is better between the federal government savings bonds and the treasure bill, I am thinking of applying before this thing close
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 5:10am On Mar 16, 2017
freeman67:

He is talking about primary market. Banks seldom tell customers bid rate at primary auction because the bid has not been won. How would take if after telling u a particular bid it goes the other way?

Yes for secondary the bid is already know. In fact once you request for TB in the secondary market through a bank, they would tell you what is available (tenure and percentage).

Amen . try and let us know how is working now .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ade95: 7:12am On Mar 16, 2017
morning all,i am an undergraduate with interest in finance...would be posting questions from time to time,i hope u guys are able to help me out...
Question: From what i have read so far,the commercial banks would be setting interest rate for the T bills right? From what i was taught T bills is a form of IOU the fed govt uses to raise money, why should banks be the one setting interest since the advent of the FGN savings Bond?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by udoka2: 7:55am On Mar 16, 2017
freeman67:

the minimum amount with Zenith bank is N1,000,000. i wanted to do N500,000 they rejected it until i completed it 1m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 9:08am On Mar 16, 2017
Just got a call from Stanbic ibtc bank that CBN refused to bid for individual investors with less than 50 millions in the Primary market....so individual investors less than 50M should shop for secondary markets.

PLEASE OGA FEELAMONG and other guys...,.who knows the result of the primary auction of yesterday and the secondary markets rates for today.....I want to bid for secondary markets today before bank go barb my hair. ......,

Thanks..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sanerugwei: 9:19am On Mar 16, 2017
ukay2:
Just got a call from Stanbic ibtc bank that CBN refused to bid for individual investors with less than 50 millions in the Primary market....so individual investors less than 50M should shop for secondary markets.

PLEASE OGA FEELAMONG and other guys...,.who knows the result of the primary auction of yesterday and the secondary markets rates for today.....I want to bid for secondary markets today before bank go barb my hair. ......,

Thanks..

I thought they already knew this but wanted a work-around by pulling customers' fund and bidding on their behalf.
If not, why did they have to waste peoples' time and energy in the first place.

These banks sef.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 9:22am On Mar 16, 2017
sanerugwei:

I thought they already knew this but wanted a work-around by pulling customers' fund and bidding on their behalf.
If not, why did they have to waste peoples' time and energy in the first place.

These banks sef.

The thing tired me ooooo. .....I for don bid secondary market since Monday. ...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ganasy: 9:35am On Mar 16, 2017
ukay2:

The thing tired me ooooo. .....I for don bid secondary market since Monday. ...

Pls how do i bid for the secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 9:39am On Mar 16, 2017
Treasury Bills Stop rates for 15th March 2017

91 days ----13.6%

182 days -----17.2%

364 days-------18.558%

How many people got rates close to this from their bankers

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 9:41am On Mar 16, 2017
ganasy:

Pls how do i bid for the secondary market?

talk to your bankers or Investment House...

Fidelity Securities told me they are ready to deal at 17% for 364 days and 16% for 182days and 13.3% for 91 days

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 40manlappy: 9:45am On Mar 16, 2017
ukay2:

Thanks..

LOL @bolded cheesy grin

Surprised that Stanbic IBTC collected your bid request in the first place
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:06am On Mar 16, 2017
feelamong:
Treasury Bills Stop rates for 15th March 2017

91 days ----13.6%

182 days -----17.2%

364 days-------18.558%

How many people got rates close to this from their bankers
Just got an alert of N16350 from First Bank on the 500k investment in NTB for 91days.

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.