Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,963 members, 7,838,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (623) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4470968 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (620) (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) ... (2235) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Yem0350: 11:09am On Nov 21, 2018
Grupo:

Then invest in yourself. If you could only save 100k after several months of working, it means you have a low paying job. So what you should do is invest the money in your personal development, get new certifications, training, etc. All these will increase your chances of earning more and when you do, you start considering Tbills then.
How do you know it took him several months to save 100k?
I know alot of people who save 100k every month in fixed deposit. So, they should be using the 100k to develop themselves tru certification.

The point I am trying to make is that, not everybody has time to do business. Instead of leaving the money you won't need for like a yr in savings account, tbills or mutual fund is better. To me, it is an investment, not a business. The two are different.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by veneza(f): 11:33am On Nov 21, 2018
every one has spoken well,I just felt I could be investing 100k on a monthly bases on tbill for a long period of time.I don't kmow if it will yield better unlike when you invest a million at once.

Also I would like to know the effect of coming election on Tbills.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 12:06pm On Nov 21, 2018
Apologies in advance because this is a TBills thread. But I know a few if us might have investments on the Nigerian Stock Exchange and this might interest you.

Dear Esteemed Client,

We write to inform you that Securities and Exchange Commission (”The Commission”) has set a deadline of 31 December 2018 for regularization of the following:

1. Shares purchased through multiple subscriptions during public offers

2. Shares purchased through stockbrokers, registrars, banks or other capital market operators in any combinations of names

3. Unclaimed dividends arising from the above multiple subscriptions and combinations of names

The Commission has set this deadline as part of its commitments to eliminate incidences of multiple accounts and unclaimed dividends in the Nigeria Capital Market. Please find attached the Commission’s Frequently Asked Questions for more information on multiple subscriptions.

If you are affected by any of the above stated issues, please contact FSDH Securities at fsdhsecurities@fsdhgroup.com for more information on the process and guidance on how to regularise.

Best Regards,

THE ATTACHMENT IS IN MY SIGNATURE

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jennypharb1: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2018
Good morning guys, I'm a novice at treasury bills and want to invest about 3.6m. I went to Zenith bank and they offered me 10.5% for 91days on the secondary market. However when they did their calculations I saw that I would only be getting about 97k because they would be dividing by 365days. Is this normal? I thought that I would be getting 250 to 300k at the least? Is this how other banks work?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chiscomax(m): 12:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
Jennypharb1:
Good morning guys, I'm a novice at treasury bills and want to invest about 3.6m. I went to Zenith bank and they offered me 10.5% for 91days on the secondary market. However when they did their calculations I saw that I would only be getting about 97k because they would be dividing by 365days. Is this normal? I thought that I would be getting 250 to 300k at the least? Is this how other banks work?

Wow!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chiscomax(m): 12:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
Please what is the difference between Secondary and primary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 12:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
Jennypharb1:

It has nothing to do with Zenith or other banks. In finance interest is quoted per annum. So if your holding period is less than one year, your interest is pro-rated for the time you will be holding it.

As you are a novice I will advise you to take out time to read previous pages. At least the first 20 pages of this thread and the last 20. If you can read more then do so by all means.

It will help you

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by globemoney: 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
GTB always have one of the worst investment rates in Nigeria. Who currently offers the best rates?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 12:52pm On Nov 21, 2018
veneza:
every one has spoken well,I just felt I could be investing 100k on a monthly bases on tbill for a long period of time.I don't kmow if it will yield better unlike when you invest a million at once.

Also I would like to know the effect of coming election on Tbills.

I feel Money market fund will be better for what you are trying to do.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
while you are doing treasury bills,
remember that stanbic has issued a 5 years bonds at 15% coupon,
if you ask me, i will say its a good deal.

Am not advertising oh, just informing you guys shaaaa
let me return back to mutual funds thread.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 1:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
I can't say this enough.
If you are thinking of Security for your capital (ref. Richest man in Babylon) and a little something (emphasis on little), please do Treasury bill. When your heart can take on more risk and uncertainties then look towards other investments avenues.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Indigbo: 1:49pm On Nov 21, 2018
Withdrew my N9.6m from MF Stanbic, does it make sense splash it on Firstbank treasury bills 91 or 182 days tenor? undecided

What's likely % in next primary market auction for 91days and 182 days?

What does this Discount rate at the sucessful bid rate me, do i need to tick that too when i invest interest payable upfront along capital?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vexing(m): 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
Internetboy:
What was Gtbank or StanbicIBTC last primary rate for 91,182 and 364 tenors .

Next TB primary auction is 29/11/2018. I want to lock up 15mill for 364, targeting 14% rate which is around 2,100,000.00 Naira.

Tbill is really a sweet investment when you have idle cash .

Please Gtbank and stanbic which one gives better rates in Primary market .

I have used FBN , their rates are not so good.

First bank gave me a about 14% for 364-day tenure last week. I am sure that next week primary market auction would be higher or the same. Use First bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vexing(m): 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2018
eagleeye2:
I can't say this enough.
If you are thinking of Security for your capital (ref. Richest man in Babylon) and a little something (emphasis on little), please do Treasury bill. When your heart can take on more risk and uncertainties then look towards other investments avenues.
Good advice, I do Treasury Bill with about 90% of my capital and I play with crypto currency with the remaining 10%. Sometimes one has to take risk to make more money but it has to be calculated risk.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 21, 2018
Grupo:

Then invest in yourself. If you could only save 100k after several months of working, it means you have a low paying job. So what you should do is invest the money in your personal development, get new certifications, training, etc. All these will increase your chances of earning more and when you do, you start considering Tbills then.

Certifications,training does not guarantee anybody lucrative jobs or opportunities in this country o.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Internetboy: 5:35pm On Nov 21, 2018
vexing:

First bank gave me a about 14% for 364-day tenure last week. I am sure that next week primary market auction would be higher or the same. Use First bank

Did you get 14% rate with FB on Secondary or primary rate?

Please respond to this, its important.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cybertek(m): 5:43pm On Nov 21, 2018
Internetboy:

Primary just as he said.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vexing(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2018
Internetboy:

Primary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Druss(m): 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
Jennypharb1:

Formula is simple. Interest = Principal x Rate (in %) x Time (in years) X 0.01.

Use this to check.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jennypharb1: 9:52pm On Nov 21, 2018
Druss:

Formula is simple. Interest = Principal x Rate (in %) x Time (in years) X 0.01.

Use this to check.

Thanks a bunch, I understand now
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yanmiri(f): 3:04am On Nov 22, 2018
GonFreecss1:

I think I have an idea, but mentioning why might get me blocked again, as I have been banned twice now, just got freed from the second ban. That word starts from a C and ends in y.

Sad that I can't write what I wanted though as it was something I feel enlightens, if I get banned again after this I will know it's deliberate, as I never advertised anything or created anything spam-ish in nature.

Hello, I think I know why you were banned.
Nairaland bot has flagged my username. "y a3m i1 ri"
It intermittently automatically searches and bans anyone that mentions the word in their posts or innocently quotes me which you did.

I tried warning people not to quote me though but was equally banned...I hope this post stays unhidden �

(I'm Igbo by the way)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yanmiri(f): 3:11am On Nov 22, 2018
GonFreecss1:

I think I have an idea, but mentioning why might get me blocked again, as I have been banned twice now, just got freed from the second ban. That word starts from a C and ends in y.

Sad that I can't write what I wanted though as it was something I feel enlightens, if I get banned again after this I will know it's deliberate, as I never advertised anything or created anything spam-ish in nature.

Your views on Naira devaluation make a lot of sense please keep posting but don't mention me.

And if you must mention a flagged word, you could misspell it like a poster spelt "crrrryptoocurrency" so the bot is confused

Sorry for the trouble grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 4:39am On Nov 22, 2018
Wow. Interesting. No wonder... hahahahahaha.

You asked me a question the first time, I tried to reply you and got banned for the first and second time.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biakwa: 5:38am On Nov 22, 2018
Good morning guys,,

Just wanted to know CBN has meet for the MPR meeting, to finalize or come up with current inflation rate...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by patrickvince4u: 5:58am On Nov 22, 2018
Which is a better investment?

Treasury bills, shares or fixed deposit?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 6:11am On Nov 22, 2018
patrickvince4u:
Which is a better investment?

Treasury bills, shares or fixed deposit?

It depends on your appetite for risk, I have done all but I will prefer Tbills and shares.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wuwu2: 6:54am On Nov 22, 2018
emmasoft:

As I said earlier, if you have a GTB current account and you do internet banking you can open a dom account right at your desk. No other requirement.For me I don't think it was up to 15mins. you can even chat with them online and follow the instruction. just click on open additional account and then specify the type of account e.g dom or savings etc you are done. your account number will be sent to you. When you login again you will see the account dollar account as one of your accounts.

This was educative. Tnx. So can u fund the dorm account with naira? Or u have to obtain dollars from elsewhere and deposit directly?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wuwu2: 6:55am On Nov 22, 2018
emmasoft:

As I said earlier, if you have a GTB current account and you do internet banking you can open a dom account right at your desk. No other requirement.For me I don't think it was up to 15mins. you can even chat with them online and follow the instruction. just click on open additional account and then specify the type of account e.g dom or savings etc you are done. your account number will be sent to you. When you login again you will see the account dollar account as one of your accounts.

This was educative. Tnx. So can u fund the dorm account with naira? Or u have to obtain dollars from elsewhere and deposit directly?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 8:38am On Nov 22, 2018
wuwu2:

You have to fund it with Dollars from elsewhere and deposit directly or get it transferred into your domiciliary account if for example you want to play safe buying it from a Bureau de change or a friend within Nigeria
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:05am On Nov 22, 2018
Headline inflation down by 0.02% to stabilize at 11.26%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibrahim505(m): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2018
'
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibrahim505(m): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2018
Today is the maturity date of the secondary market tbills i bought via access bank. I'm expecting Cr anytime soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (620) (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) ... (2235) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: talk2tonie, Lordchi and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.