Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,249 members, 7,953,929 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:11 AM

Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 (8995 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Cardiff City: 12% (3 votes)
Liverpool: 87% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Liverpool Vs Middlesbrough: Capital One Cup (14 - 13) On Pens On 23rd Sept 2014 / West Brom Vs Arsenal - Capital One Cup (3 - 4) On Pens On 25th Sept 2013 / UCL Final : Bayern Munich Vs Chelsea (3 - 4) On Pens On 19th May 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by mukina2: 1:00am On Feb 25, 2012
Rewind a decade or so and Liverpool, the League Cup Final and Cardiff were common bedfellows. As Wembley underwent a painful process of rebuilding, the Welsh capital's Millennium Stadium was a surrogate home for English football finals. Liverpool visited Cardiff three times in 2001, winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Community Shield in short succession, and they returned in 2003 to beat Manchester United in this competition's finale.

"Tell me ma, me ma, to put the champagne on ice, we're going to Cardiff twice," has reverted to its original lyric as a victory in the FA Cup quarter-final will see Liverpool visiting the new-ish stadium multiple times. Yet this is their first visit to a stadium reopened in 2007, and their fans' first trot down Wembley way since 1996 and the infamous "White Suits" FA Cup final they lost to Manchester United.

Meanwhile, their opponents are comparable old stagers at the 'new' Wembley, having visited twice when FA Cup runners-up in 2008, and then as losing finalists to Blackpool in the Championship Play-Off final of 2010. Cardiff City's presence here reflects a renaissance in Welsh football, and a win on this occasion would surely trump Swansea City's adventures in the Premier League.

Their boss, Malky Mackay is another man from the Glaswegian conveyor belt of football managers. Since taking over last June from Dave Jones, he has impressed with his refreshment of a club that had suffered one near-miss too many. City are in a play-off position, and Mackay has led Cardiff to their first final in this competition in its history. Since defeating Crystal Palace on penalties in the semi-final, Cardiff's league results have been indifferent, performances looking distracted in the light of Wembley beckoning, though they perhaps share distraction with their opponents.

Kenny Dalglish and co have been frying other fish, of course, but the knock-out competitions have provided welcome respite in view of the Luis Suarez affair and a failure to impose themselves on the race for a Champions League place. The elder of the Glasgow mafia members here has the chance to win his first trophy as Liverpool manager since the First Division title of 1990. Indeed, victory on Sunday would complete a sweep of all the domestic trophies for Dalglish, as he failed to lift it during his Mark 1 regime. He has lost a League Cup final before, to Arsenal in 1987, so has a chance to heal an old wound.

A trophy lifted by Liverpool with Kenny Dalglish as manager will be received with unbridalled joy by those fans who will always idolise him. Malky Mackay meanwhile can make himself a similar godhead at his own club if he can land its first major trophy since 1927. Back then, the Bluebirds took the FA Cup out of England for the first time. The League Cup has only ever been out of England to be competed for in Cardiff. City could take the trophy back to their nation on a more permanent basis but to do so must beat a team and manager with their own history to bury.

Cardiff City player to watch
: Kenny Miller

Another Scot seeking his fortune in the English leagues, Miller has had to fill the shooting boots of Craig Bellamy and Jay Bothroyd at the Cardiff City Stadium, and after an injury-hit start had begun to do just that before hitting a flat spot as January turned to February. Having played in major cup finals for both Rangers and Celtic, during a peripatetic career, as well as being Scotland's main striker for some time, Miller will use his vast experience to lead the line.

Liverpool player to watch: Craig Bellamy

If things had worked out differently, then Bellamy may have been running out for his boyhood club, though he also had a childhood affinity for Liverpool too. Last season saw him exiled from Manchester City and the Premier League to Cardiff, and they lost out in the play-offs when a hamstrung Bellamy was missing. A fairytale was denied before Bellamy got a dream return to Anfield. He has been perhaps Liverpool's most influential player when Suarez has been absent. Should he score, most likely as a substitute, then has promised not to celebrate a goal against a club he may still have unfinished business with.

Key battle: Anthony Gerrard v Steven Gerrard

Anthony Gerrard was once part of an internet hoax that saw cousin Steven 'outed' as a childhood Evertonian when in fact the picture was of his younger cousin. Anthony may not possess the star quality of Steven but he has carved out a decent career in the lower leagues after being released by Everton. He has had to fight hard to gain a place at centre-back once Mackay replaced Dave Jones, and now gets the chance to face his superstar cousin, who may well be used in more attacking role. The pair can play out for real the childhood fantasy matches they once staged in their grandmother's back garden.

Trivia: When Dalglish's Liverpool lost the 1987 final to Arsenal, it was the first match that Liverpool had lost in which Ian Rush had scored. Rush, already headed for Juventus that summer, opened the scoring before two Charlie Nicholas goals won it for the Gunners to make 1986-7 a trophyless season for the Reds.

Stats: Liverpool have won the most League Cups since its inception in 1960, seven in total. They won four in a row between 1981-4 under Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan, before a Steve McManaman double gave Roy Evans' team the trophy in 1995. The twin Cardiff triumphs in 2001 and 2003 came under the aegis of Gerard Houllier.

Match
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by dyabman(m): 7:48am On Feb 25, 2012
victory for Cardiff cool
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by adebayo201: 10:23am On Feb 25, 2012
dyabman:

victory for Cardiff cool

grin grin grin
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by SportATM: 11:40am On Feb 25, 2012
What more can you expect from Liverpool, do you think the rejected pillar never had its based well structured?
wink - SportATM www.sportatm.com kiss
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by born2boink(m): 2:27pm On Feb 25, 2012
Liverpool will kill Cardiff
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by toshmann(m): 5:16pm On Feb 25, 2012
I've been a Liverpool fan since I was 6yrs old. But I lived and schooled in Cardiff. I'll say this, that game won't be a walk over for Liverpool. If they're too confident, Cardiff will win the cup. Cardiff is more desperate and thier fans more passionate for this game.

I want Liverpool to win cool
But a Cardiff victory won't make me sad cool

Dunno if I can watch the game, it'll be 11.00am, sunday morning in Ohio. I have a God to worship.
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by jimctu: 9:26pm On Feb 25, 2012
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 8:53am On Feb 26, 2012
hmmm. . . . . . .I will come back for prediction. . . . I am the chosen one when it comes to prediction
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by deekseen(m): 11:36am On Feb 26, 2012
Liverpool are having this one. Oh my Arsenal, how did you get jinxed?
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by IykeD(m): 11:45am On Feb 26, 2012
deekseen:

Liverpool are having this one. Oh my Arsenal, how did you get jinxed?

lol

Go Liverpool >>>>>>> YNWA!
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Henry40: 11:46am On Feb 26, 2012
Look at what we have - Suarez, Bellamy, Gerrard, even Downing, Adams and Carroll seem to be doing VERY WELL against clubs from the lower echelons. What do they have? We'll trash them SILLY! YNWA!!!!
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by deekseen(m): 12:11pm On Feb 26, 2012
Abeg i don't see a thrashing in this game. 3-0 against a team like this is still no thrashing o, unless you guys are sure Liverpool will win by as much as 5-0.
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by IykeD(m): 12:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
deekseen:

Abeg i don't see a thrashing in this game. 3-0 against a team like this is still no thrashing o, unless you guys are sure Liverpool will win by as much as 5-0.

Do you think Cardiff is such a small team?? They didn't get to the final by accident, they knocked out teams like Scum Utd remember
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2012
Cardiff all the way
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by deekseen(m): 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2012
IykeD:

Do you think Cardiff is such a small team?? They didn't get to the final by accident, they knocked out teams like Scum Utd remember
Yeah, i know, that's why i don't expect a SILLY THRASHING. So if they beat Liverpool it's not an upset?
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Koolking(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2012
Game of football is surprise-laden. I would never accept cardiff being seen as underdog in this game. They fought their way to this final. The match will sure be a cracker. Then again, liverpool will nevr settle for the second best. They are game to end the trophy drought. I forsee liverpool winning this cracker to reinforce their drives to be the best four in the current epl season. Let's go diaaaaaaaa!!!
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Mrc1: 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2012
Cmon Liverpool !!! YNWA !
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Cine(m): 4:07pm On Feb 26, 2012
Where can I watch this in Nigeria, what channel.?
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by sylve11: 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2012
Aljazeera sport 3. cool
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by mukina2: 4:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
^
yup am watching from there.
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by mukina2: 5:02pm On Feb 26, 2012
game on!
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by KayDee4: 5:12pm On Feb 26, 2012
Go Cardiiiiifffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff !!!
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 5:18pm On Feb 26, 2012
halla madrid

we are leading
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by mukina2: 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2012
gooal for cardiff
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by KayDee4: 5:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
Yayyyy!!!! Cardiff 1 - 0 Liverpool cheesy cheesy
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by diggz: 5:21pm On Feb 26, 2012
Is Dstv showin dis match?
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 5:23pm On Feb 26, 2012
hahahahaha

this match is gonna end in a penalty shoot out

Cardiff to take the day
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by Leemak: 5:24pm On Feb 26, 2012
Ride on Cardiff,
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 5:32pm On Feb 26, 2012
smiley ;d :d
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 5:58pm On Feb 26, 2012
hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Carling Cup Final:Cardiff City Vs Liverpool (2 - 3) On Pens On February 26th 2012 by mukina2: 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2012
skrtel scores for liverpool

1 -1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FA Cup Final: Chelsea(2) Vs Everton(1) On Saturday 30th May / Manchester United Vs QPR (3 - 1) - On 24th November 2012 / Barcelona Vs Bate Borisov : UCL (3 - 0) On 4th November 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.