Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,477 members, 7,823,110 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? (13048 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 2:43pm On Feb 28, 2012
abouzaid:

@sagamite, Mai gida na, sannu, yaya aiki? You must be a lecturer cos i don't see why somebody will support the teaching of subjects that have no bearing with real like application. We went to school to learn how to solve problems for ppl for them to pay us, if i want to expand my knowledge, i can easily buy textbooks to read it on my own. Lecturers wasting my time in school over maths that neither them nor me will ever apply is a great sin to humanity, i speak from my experience sir

Bruv, the only place I am a lecturer is on NL, gaskia. grin

There is no maths subject taught that does not have real life application. It might just not have widespread application.

There are still many mathematical discoveries that elude us and which will be useful in future. If we don't teach the ones we know, the people like you that are suppose to discover the unknown ones might not be well equipped to start your discovery. grin

Lets look at something simple: Weighted averages. Because it is not used by many on a daily basis, or even used by some people ever, does not mean it should not be taught as it is useful in attribution theories or even resource/award allocations.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by hardbody: 3:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
I hated Maths because of the poor background my teachers imbued us with. I simply avoided maths and went on to study a course that had nothing to do with Mathematics.(Law actually). Interestingly, I went to enrol for MBA and was able to learn a lot of calculations, statistics, differentiations, even courses and topics in econometrics and calculations in elasticity (advanced economics) that i started wondering why i never managed it in my younger days. I guess it was because i felt i had a choice. That crazy course (mathematics) reared its ugly head again when i was writing one yeye professional course. (Financial Management for Decision Makers). I wrote that course 3 times and finally got the 'excellent' grade. In truth, maths is simple, sweet and straight forward, it just requires regular studying and if you have strong fundamentals, the better. I encourage all especially the younger generation to embrace and be serious with it, you will always need it sometime someday somewhere somehow
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by ektbear: 6:34am On Feb 29, 2012
rrhostomy:

Sincerely, maths na headache wey Oyinbo man carry put for our head.[b] Lookin for x y z dats not even lost. [/b]Dats y i love LAW.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by oladayo042: 5:52pm On Feb 29, 2012
abouzaid:

@sagamite, Mai gida na, sannu, yaya aiki? You must be a lecturer cos i don't see why somebody will support the teaching of subjects that have no bearing with real like application. We went to school to learn how to solve problems for ppl for them to pay us, if i want to expand my knowledge, i can easily buy textbooks to read it on my own. Lecturers wasting my time in school over maths that neither them nor me will ever apply is a great sin to humanity, i speak from my experience sir
You made me remember what one professor said some years back. The professor was invited to come and lecture on Education and Development. He was talking about functional education and he asked the congregation: what is the benefit of Pythagoras theorem to 90% of us who learned it? The congregation responded with a resounding 'Nothing'.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Obinoscopy(m): 8:45pm On Mar 05, 2012
Yea, I'd agree with everyone who says our maths teachers are one of the culprits.

I had 12 out of 100 in my further maths exam in my SS 1 simply because I didn't attend my teachers lesson. I thank God for my resolve not to be discouraged. Many of my colleagues bolted from further maths and maths. Thank God he was eventually removed! I made an A1 in my WASSCE in my further maths, this was due to my resolve. Lets encourage our younger ones and proteges to be resolute in their studies especially as regards maths. Lets not let our teachers influence us negatively
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by abouzaid: 6:13pm On Jun 08, 2012
A harvard professor of economics by name greg mankiw was asked by a student where do economists make use of all the mathematics they learn in real life policy analysis and he replied none. He further said that academics teach what they know since they don't know what is obtainable in real life.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 6:29pm On Jun 08, 2012
abouzaid: A harvard professor of economics by name greg mankiw was asked by a student where do economists make use of all the mathematics they learn in real life policy analysis and he replied none. He further said that academics teach what they know since they don't know what is obtainable in real life.

That is a sarcastic answer, not the truth.

It would be dumb for a Professor to believe that all the mathematics taught in Economics is unusable in real life.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by abouzaid: 10:30am On Jun 09, 2012
@sagamite, sir pls google d blog post and see d whole write up. Many economists are very worried that economics and finance have taken over economics and common sense. The greatest economic treatise ever written were done with no maths. Pls google recipe for disaster to find out how a formula in caused d worldwide economic crises. Also another formula known as capm is what caused d housing crises in usa cos investors forgot their brains and followed it sheepishly thereby failing to notice d housing bubble.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 12:57pm On Jun 09, 2012
abouzaid: @sagamite, sir pls google d blog post and see d whole write up. Many economists are very worried that economics and finance have taken over economics and common sense. The greatest economic treatise ever written were done with no maths. Pls google recipe for disaster to find out how a formula in caused d worldwide economic crises. Also another formula known as capm is what caused d housing crises in usa cos investors forgot their brains and followed it sheepishly thereby failing to notice d housing bubble.

It would be better for you to post me the link to the article instead of telling me to go and google it.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by TonySpike: 12:59pm On Jun 09, 2012
I don't want to believe that some of us discrediting the real life applications of mathematics are ignorant. I'm a communication engineer and I can authoritatively tell many of you using the internet today don't even understand just 1% of the mathematics behind it. Some you are talking of simple mathematics like Pythagoras theorem when we have far more advanced mathematics like partial differentiation techniques, affine geometries, signal analysis, signal encryption techniques, routing algorithms and wave spectrum analysis. If you don't know, these topics I just mentioned have contributed as much as 70% to the development of the internet framework and improving internet traffic. The end results are the fast network access, video streaming, seamless wireless communication which many of you are enjoying today.

It's a shame to hear enlightened people discredit mathematics.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2012
Tony Spike: I don't want to believe that some of us discrediting the real life applications of mathematics are ignorant. I'm a communication engineer and I can authoritatively tell many of you using the internet today don't even understand just 1% of the mathematics behind it. Some you are talking of simple mathematics like Pythagoras theorem when we have far more advanced mathematics like partial differentiation techniques, affine geometries, signal analysis, signal encryption techniques, routing algorithms and wave spectrum analysis. If you don't know, these topics I just mentioned have contributed as much as 70% to the development of the internet framework and improving internet traffic. The end results are the fastest network access, video streaming, seamless wireless communication which many of you are enjoying today.

Thank you. Please tell them.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Obinoscopy(m): 11:16am On Jun 29, 2012
Tony Spike: I don't want to believe that some of us discrediting the real life applications of mathematics are ignorant. I'm a communication engineer and I can authoritatively tell many of you using the internet today don't even understand just 1% of the mathematics behind it. Some you are talking of simple mathematics like Pythagoras theorem when we have far more advanced mathematics like partial differentiation techniques, affine geometries, signal analysis, signal encryption techniques, routing algorithms and wave spectrum analysis. If you don't know, these topics I just mentioned have contributed as much as 70% to the development of the internet framework and improving internet traffic. The end results are the fast network access, video streaming, seamless wireless communication which many of you are enjoying today.

Very true!
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Inemobot(m): 9:37am On Jun 30, 2012
[quote author=nakedwire]Some teachers are too impatient(or wicked) to breakdown the details of the maths for the understanding of the students.
Na truth guy
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Obinoscopy(m): 8:24am On Jul 31, 2012
One of the qualities of a good maths teacher is patience. He or she needs to have patience and believe in his students or pupil if he is to succeed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unilag Direct Entry Admission / 9 Important Reasons To Study Hard In School / Lies You Told In Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.