Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response (5467 Views)

The Twelve Caliph Hadeeth / Ramadan Resolutions by Sheikh Omar Suleiman / Love And Dating In Islam - Sheikh Omar Suleiman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by tidytim: 4:17pm On Feb 28, 2012
Text of the ultimatum from Omar Ibn-Khat'tab the Calif of Islam to the Iranina Sovereign, Yazdgerd III:

Bism-ellah Ar'rahman Ar'rhim To the Shah of the Fars
I do not foresee a good future for you and your nation save your acceptance of my terms and your submission to me. There was a time when your country ruled half the world, but see how now your sun has set. On all fronts your armies have been defeated and your nation is condemned to extinction. I point out to you the path whereby you might escape this fate. Namely, that you begin worshipping the one god, the unique deity, the only god who created all that is. I bring you his message. Order your nation to cease the false worship of fire and to join us, that they may join the truth.

Worship Allah the creator of the world. Worship Allah and accept Islam as the path of salvation. End now your polytheistic ways and become Muslims that you may accept Allah-u-Akbar as your savior. This is the only way of securing your own survival and the peace of your Persians. You will do this if you know what is good for you and for your Persians. Submission is your only option. Allah u Akbar.

The Calif of Muslims Omar Ibn-Khat'tab

Response of the Persian King:

In the name of Ahuramazda, the Creator of Life and Wisdom.

From the Shahan-Shah of Iran Yazdgerd to Omar Ibn Khat'tab the Arab Calif. In your letter you summon us Iranians to your god whom you call "Allah-u-Akbar"; and because of your barbarity and ignorance, without knowing who we are and Whom we worship, you demand that we seek out your god and become worshippers of "Allah-u-Akbar".

How strange that you occupy the seat of the Arab Caliph but are as ignorant as any desert roaming Arab! You admonish me to become monotheistic in faith. Ignorant man, for thousands of years we Aryaee have, in this land of culture and art, been monotheistic and five times a day have we offered prayers to God's Throne of Oneness. While we laid the foundations of philanthropy and righteousness and kindness in this world and held high the ensign of "Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds", you and your ancestors were desert wanderers who ate snakes and lizards and buried your innocent daughters alive.

You Arabs who have no regard for God's creatures, who mercilessly put people to the sword, who mistreat your women and bury you daughters alive, who attack caravans and are highway robbers, who commit murder, who kidnap women and spouses; how dare you presume to teach us, who are above these evils, to worship God?

You tell me to cease the worship of fire and to worship God instead! To us Iranians the light of Fire is reminiscent of the Light of God. The radiance and the sun-like warmth of fire exuberates our hearts, and the pleasant warmth of it brings our hearts and spirits closer together, that we may be philanthropic, kind and considerate, that gentleness and forgiveness may become our way of life, and that thereby the Light of God may keep shining in our hearts.

Our God is the Great Ahuramazda. Strange is this that you too have now decided to give Him a name, and you call Him by the name of "Allah-u-Akbar".

But we are nothing like you. We, in the name of Ahuramazda, practice compassion and love and goodness and righteousness and forgiveness, and care for the dispossessed and the unfortunate; But you, in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar" commit murder, create misery and subject others to suffering! Tell me truly who is to blame for your misdeeds? Your god who orders genocide, plunder and destruction, or you who do these things in his name? Or both?

You, who have spent all your days in brutality and barbarity, have now come out of your desolate deserts resolved to teach, by the blade and by conquest, the worship of God to a people who have for thousands of years been civilized and have relied on culture and knowledge and art as mighty supports.

What have you, in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar", taught these armies of Islam besides destruction and pillage and murder that you now presume to summon others to your god?

Today, my people's fortunes have changed. Their armies, who were subjects of Ahuramazada, have now been defeated by the Arab armies of "Allah-u-Akbar". And they are being forced, at the point of the sword, to convert to the god by the name of "Allah-u-Akbar". And are forced to offer him prayers five times a day but now in Arabic; since your "Allah-u-Akbar" only understands Arabic.

I advise you to return to your lizard infested deserts. Do not let loose upon our cities your cruel barbarous Arabs who are like rabid animals. Refrain from the murder of my people. Refrain from pillaging my people. Refrain from kidnapping our daughters in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar". Refrain from these crimes and evils.

We Aryaee are a forgiving people, a kind and well-meaning people. Wherever we go, we sow the seeds of goodness, amity and righteousness. And this is why we have the capacity to overlook the crimes and the misdeeds of your Arabs.

Stay in your desert with your "Allah-u-Akbar", and do not approach our cities; for horrid is your belief and brutish is your conduct.

Yazdgerd Saasaani
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by maclatunji: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2012
The Persian King must have been very ignorant, God's name is definitely not "Allah-u-Akbar". Storyteller TidyTim what happened after the exchange of letters?
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by brentkruge: 1:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
Response of the Persian King:

In the name of Ahuramazda, the Creator of Life and Wisdom.

From the Shahan-Shah of Iran Yazdgerd to Omar Ibn Khat'tab the Arab Calif. In your letter you summon us Iranians to your god whom you call "Allah-u-Akbar"; and because of your barbarity and ignorance, without knowing who we are and Whom we worship, you demand that we seek out your god and become worshippers of "Allah-u-Akbar".

How strange that you occupy the seat of the Arab Caliph but are as ignorant as any desert roaming Arab! You admonish me to become monotheistic in faith. Ignorant man, for thousands of years we Aryaee have, in this land of culture and art, been monotheistic and five times a day have we offered prayers to God's Throne of Oneness. While we laid the foundations of philanthropy and righteousness and kindness in this world and held high the ensign of "Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds", you and your ancestors were desert wanderers who ate snakes and lizards and buried your innocent daughters alive.

You Arabs who have no regard for God's creatures, who mercilessly put people to the sword, who mistreat your women and bury you daughters alive, who attack caravans and are highway robbers, who commit murder, who kidnap women and spouses; how dare you presume to teach us, who are above these evils, to worship God?

You tell me to cease the worship of fire and to worship God instead! To us Iranians the light of Fire is reminiscent of the Light of God. The radiance and the sun-like warmth of fire exuberates our hearts, and the pleasant warmth of it brings our hearts and spirits closer together, that we may be philanthropic, kind and considerate, that gentleness and forgiveness may become our way of life, and that thereby the Light of God may keep shining in our hearts.

Our God is the Great Ahuramazda. Strange is this that you too have now decided to give Him a name, and you call Him by the name of "Allah-u-Akbar".

But we are nothing like you. We, in the name of Ahuramazda, practice compassion and love and goodness and righteousness and forgiveness, and care for the dispossessed and the unfortunate; But you, in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar" commit murder, create misery and subject others to suffering! Tell me truly who is to blame for your misdeeds? Your god who orders genocide, plunder and destruction, or you who do these things in his name? Or both?

You, who have spent all your days in brutality and barbarity, have now come out of your desolate deserts resolved to teach, by the blade and by conquest, the worship of God to a people who have for thousands of years been civilized and have relied on culture and knowledge and art as mighty supports.

What have you, in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar", taught these armies of Islam besides destruction and pillage and murder that you now presume to summon others to your god?

Today, my people's fortunes have changed. Their armies, who were subjects of Ahuramazada, have now been defeated by the Arab armies of "Allah-u-Akbar". And they are being forced, at the point of the sword, to convert to the god by the name of "Allah-u-Akbar". And are forced to offer him prayers five times a day but now in Arabic; since your "Allah-u-Akbar" only understands Arabic.

I advise you to return to your lizard infested deserts. Do not let loose upon our cities your cruel barbarous Arabs who are like rabid animals. Refrain from the murder of my people. Refrain from pillaging my people. Refrain from kidnapping our daughters in the name of your "Allah-u-Akbar". Refrain from these crimes and evils.

We Aryaee are a forgiving people, a kind and well-meaning people. Wherever we go, we sow the seeds of goodness, amity and righteousness. And this is why we have the capacity to overlook the crimes and the misdeeds of your Arabs.

Stay in your desert with your "Allah-u-Akbar", and do not approach our cities; [size=14pt]for horrid is your belief and brutish is your conduct.[/size]

Yazdgerd Saasaani

Kai! Pity! Islam has refused to change all these years. Infact this letter could have been written this morning and its words will ring very true.

From Omar Ibn-Khat'tab to Uthman Dan Fodio to Shiek Shekau, its the same tale of death, plunder and destruction in the name of Allah.

Pity!
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 2:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
i dont know why these persian nationalists and atheists like flogging a dead horse.for God sake in that time the word "Iran" was non-existent.why try to impose that word into this?

also,for your info,today Umar Ibn al-Khattab means nothing to 90% of iranian Muslims.in fact centuries later,Persia became Shia Muslim and the majority left what Umar introduced in Persia which is Sunnism.Shia Islam holds Umar as an equal enemy of Islam itself as the ignorant and bragging king of persia who saw his throne go to utter waste with all his brags.so really what is the use of still spreading such a nonsensical conversation and trying to stir emotions? both Yazdeger and Umar really mean little or nothing to Iran presently.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by maclatunji: 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
brentkruge:

Kai! Pity! Islam has refused to change all these years. Infact this letter could have been written this morning and its words will ring very true.

From Omar Ibn-Khat'tab to Uthman Dan Fodio to Shiek Shekau, its the same tale of death, plunder and destruction in the name of Allah.

Pity!

Pity yourself, because "Allahu Akbar" is not the name of God to Muslims. Meanwhile, it is Islam that elevated these same Arabs to conquer his land in a battle of civilizations.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by maclatunji: 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
LagosShia: i dont know why these persian nationalists and atheists like flogging a dead horse.for God sake in that time the word "Iran" was non-existent.why try to impose that word into this?

also,for your info,today Umar Ibn al-Khattab means nothing to 90% of iranian Muslims.in fact centuries later,Persia became Shia Muslim and the majority left what Umar introduced in Persia which is Sunnism.Shia Islam holds Umar as an equal enemy of Islam itself as the ignorant and bragging king of persia who saw his throne go to utter waste with all his brags.so really what is the use of still spreading such a nonsensical conversation and trying to stir emotions? both Yazdeger and Umar really mean little or nothing to Iran presently.

See your mouth.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 2:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

See your mouth.

na wa o.moderator,i will ban you o. grin
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by alaoeri: 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
LagosShia: i dont know why these persian nationalists and atheists like flogging a dead horse.for God sake in that time the word "Iran" was non-existent.why try to impose that word into this?

What a shite indeed, are u know saying the old persian isn't the present iran or how are u going distinguish the old yathrib from the present medina.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by brentkruge: 11:13pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

Pity yourself, because "Allahu Akbar" is not the name of God to Muslims.

Yes it is not; but we all know he was referring to Allah. He was just being sarcastic obviously.Dont be childish

Meanwhile, it is Islam that elevated these same Arabs to conquer his land in a battle of civilizations.

Meanwhile, it is Islam that elevated drove these same Arabs to conquer plunder, kill and murder his people without provocation on his land in a battle massacre of civilizations

The king's religion was far more tolerant than Islam.

But we are nothing like you. We, in the name of Ahuramazda, practice compassion and love and goodness and righteousness and forgiveness, and care for the dispossessed and the unfortunate . . . we may be philanthropic, kind and considerate, that gentleness and forgiveness may become our way of life

Compare that with the unprovoked massacre, pillage of his people, ironically, to spread a religion!!!!!! And Islam is peace?

Of course the Iranians now are non the wiser having embraced it. From a rich history of tolerance and kindness as shown by their ancient king's letter, Iranians (Persians) have slipped down the ladder to intolerance against minorities (even fellow Muslims of different sects)and even wanting the death penalty for apostates! shocked
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 11:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
alaoeri:
What a shite indeed, are u know saying the old persian isn't the present iran or how are u going distinguish the old yathrib from the present medina.

please what is your point.i do not understand your question or the message you're trying to put across.i just cannot figure sense in it.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 11:25pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

Pity yourself, because "Allahu Akbar" is not the name of God to Muslims. Meanwhile, it is Islam that elevated these same Arabs to conquer his land in a battle of civilizations.

please Mac can you explain to us what you meant by "Islam that elevated these same Arabs to conquer his land in a battle of civilizations"? i just want to get a clearer idea of what you're trying to say.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by Kay17: 2:04am On Jul 14, 2012
I was touched by the Persian's response. Everyone sees good and knows its good.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by vedaxcool(m): 10:18am On Jul 14, 2012
Na wa oh! op where u get these exchange from? Cause while the persian king could be excuse for refering to Allah as Allahu Akbar, it remains puzzling that Umar r.a did the same! Capping off Kay u mean the persian king know good things? I will want to believe ur statement is out of ignorance of the Persian history filled with tales of gore and cruelty offcourse that could be " good things" to any one who live by no criteria! The persian king response if true, was fraught with large scale ignorance as with the advent of Islam, burying of daughters alive had been abolish! Even Islam brought in rules of engagement hence the killing of women and destruction of towns the gravely ignorant king alluded were entirely dreamt up fant asy of a drowning man!

Well history tells us Umar routed the persians kingdom, and this was foretold by the holy prophet pbuh in the hadith of the 12 caliphs of the ummah, would have quoted it but I dey use phone! Unfortunately Umar r.a victory against polytheism would many years later be reverted by Shah Ismail who, being a persian, carried his mistaken belief in worshiping kings as being divine to Islam by associating such with the Prophet pbuh, this the shah achieved by forceful conversions! In anycase Umar victory against the persian kingdom, showed one thing that Islam at its peak expanded rapidly to lands, it was as moral decay entered the people that the decline set in to what we have today!

1 Like

Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by maclatunji: 10:47am On Jul 14, 2012
LagosShia:

please Mac can you explain to us what you meant by "Islam that elevated these same Arabs to conquer his land in a battle of civilizations"? i just want to get a clearer idea of what you're trying to say.

I am too busy, go and read your Islamic history. Your attempts to ridicule some key characters in Islamic history is laughable. Maybe if you read long and hard, you would know better. To answer your question would mean writing a whole book.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by Kay17: 10:48am On Jul 14, 2012
All those who have read on Zoroasterianism would be aware of the great emphasis on compassion, tolerance, kindness and love. The Persian might have thought Allah was Allahu Akbar, however there was a battle btw Zoroasterianism vs Islam, as who is the true messenger from God, and who preached/teaches the values of peace/tolerance.

Is islam just a tool for cultural assimilation? Is it a reflection of those cruel times? What's peace in invading Persia? What atrocities was the Persian king disgust by?? Why is the Caliph seeking to convert the Persian and offering destruction as an alternative??

Although some of the comments of the Persian were racist, but his response still holds it substance.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 10:58am On Jul 14, 2012
[b]first,regardless of what i as a Shia Muslim,like over 90% of iranians are,think of Umar,the second Sunni caliph who invaded Persia,i decided to read a bit more to know if this alleged letter in the OP is authentic.i came to find out that there is no evidence whatsoever that the letter is authentic.it is said that the original manuscript can be found in the London museum,but there is no trace or evidence it is there.like i earlier pointed out nationalist persians and atheists,the letter is an evident forgery and a modern one too for many reasons.while forgeting that Iran is presently Shia,those who are opposed and have hatred for Islam in general still use the conquest of Umar to lash out their opposition against the Islamic Republic of Iran established by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

inshaAllah i would post a rebuttal to the letter attributed to Yazdeger from a Shia forum and originally posted in an Iranian website to counter the persian nationalists advocating Zoroastrianism,the religion that pre-dated Islam in persia and a very small minority less 2% of iranians still follow.also,no one should believe that the persians were forced to embrace Islam even though Umar introduced Sunnism and not Shi'ism.the persians for centuries remained non-Muslims and with the assasination of Umar by a persian prisoner of war,Abu Lulu,the persians could have easily rejected or reverted from Islam.but the opposite happened.[/b]
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 11:04am On Jul 14, 2012
[size=14pt]Faking Yazdgerd
Anti-Arab forgery
[/size]

January 26, 2005
iranian.com

[Last night I got an email with an attachment claiming to be Yazdgerd III's letter to Omar ibn Khattab, during the final days of the Sasanian Dynasty. I thought I had seen the letter before and might have even published it. I emailed Khodadad Rezakhani and asked for his expert opinion. He's studying for a PhD in Sasanian history from UCLA. Here's what he wrote. -- J. Javid]

"The Letter of Yazdgerd III to Caliph Omar" is one of the many urban legends circulating the internet. I have personally seen four different versions of this letter, their tone and content differing from quite absurd and offensive to more believable and somehow historical. This text fits somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

Generally, forgery of historical documents and artifacts has been one of the oldest human practices. The purpose of various forgeries has differed from one to another. The famous forgery of the Edict of Constantine was done by the Church fathers to increase the political influence of the Roman Church. Other forgeries were made for financial reasons or to gain fame.

During the past few years, we have had several historical forgeries in Iran. The most famous one of them was the "discovery" of the mummy of the so-called Achaemenid princess that attracted the attention of many people around the world. It almost ended up in a fight between the Pakistani and Iranian authorities.

Our letter here is another example of forgery. While the aforementioned mummy was forged in hopes of financial reward, this letter and its variations carry no such promises. It seems that the point of the person(s) who wrote this letter is to further a political/cultural agenda, one that carries an anti-Arab weight.

The reasons for proving that this letter is a forgery are several, but the simplest criterion is that we have never seen the original text. Our corpus of Middle Persian texts is quite limited and is known to anyone who works with Middle Persian documents. Some Arabic or Persian translations of the original Middle Persian texts (quoted in various histories and books) are also known.

Furthermore, anyone working in the field of Sasanian history would know the existence of such a letter and certainly know the definitive translation, most likely done by a well-known philologist. However, none of these sources present us with a letter as such.

However, by simply reading the text and having a basic knowledge of the history and language of the supposed time of the composition of the letter (ca. 635-650 CE), one can also conclude that the letter is quite a recent forgery.

This introduction would not allow detailed criticism of the content of the letter, but a few examples would suffice to illustrate the point.

-- For starters, the letter is a perfect example of anachronism. It projects the ideas and ideals of modern anti-Arabism and anti-Islamism into the history and has them come out of the mouth of Yazdgerd III.

The tone of the letter is obviously a contemporary, Iranian nationalist tone which thinks of Arabs as desert dwelling people with no culture. That is indeed the "Jaheli"/Beduin Arab culture that Islamic history now teaches us about. However, for an average Sasanian of that time, "Arab" would not have brought the picture of a desert dwelling, daughter killing Beduin, of the kind who lived 1000 km south of the Sasanian border. Instead, the Arabs most familiar for the Sasanians were the Hira Arabs who ran a government under the protection of the Sasanians and were mostly either Zoroastrian or Christian, living in cities and urban centres.

-- The second paragraph has Yazdgerd blaming Omar for not knowing about the Iranian religion (Zoroastrianism). Yazdgerd here boasts of his "monotheistic" religion. It is easily demonstrable that the efforts to make Zoroastrianism a monotheistic religion were taken under the cultural influence of Islam. A pre-Islamic Iranian Zoroastrian mowbed would have easily admitted that Zoroastrianism is a dualistic religion.

Since there was no cultural pressure to consider "monotheism" to be superior to other forms of religion, our supposed mowbed would not have felt bad about admitting this. In essence, the person who forged this letter has made a disservice to his patriotism by giving the superiority to the monotheistic Islam and becoming an apologist for dualistic Zoroastrianism.

-- For the reasons mentioned above, it is most improbable that Yazdgerd would have known about the traditions of Beduin Arabs and been able to criticize them as such. This again is putting the products of modern knowledge in the context of ancient history.

-- In the same way, it seems hard to believe that Omar would have called Yazdgerd "fire-worshipper". The adjective "fire-worshipper" itself was created many years after the advent of Islam, in order to stigmatize Zoroastrianism. It is most unlikely that it was a term in use during the time of early Islam.

-- Again, the next two paragraphs are the self-congratulatory sentences that are most unlikely to have been uttered by Yazdgerd for a few simple reasons. One is that again, it is quite improbable that Yazdgerd would have known so much about Islam and the background of Muslims at the time, or would have cared to know. Second, the phrase "because your Allah o Akbar only speaks Arabic" is problematic.

That sentence, in form of blame, would have been quite unusual coming from a Zoroastrian who has to say his prayers in Avestan! Avestan was used by Zoroastrian clergy, but was completely incomprehensible to ordinary citizens of the Sasanian era. Also, the Sasanian Empire was the first target of the armies of Islam, so naturally, the comments on the paragraph before last about the bloody conquests of Islam would be out of place, since they had not yet happened.

-- The last paragraph really needs no explanation. Just enough to point out that its anachronism is obvious from its reference to "Aryans", a term not in use during Sasanian times.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234980376-omars-letter-to-yazdgerd-the-third/page__view__findpost__p__2102803
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2012
Imam Ali's (as) advice to Umar when the latter sought his advice on invading persia as recorded in Sermon 145 of Nahjul-Balagha:

Sermon 145
Spoken when `Umar ibn al-Khattab consulted Amir al-mu'minin about taking part in the battle of Persia. (1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this matter, victory of defeat is not dependent on the smallness or greatness of forces. It is Allah's religion which He has raised above all faiths, and His army which He has mobilised and extended, till it has reached the point where it stands now, and has arrived its present positions. We hold a promise from Allah, and He will fulfil His promise and support His army.

The position of the head of government is that of the thread for beads, as it connects them and keeps them together. If the thread is broken, they will disperse and be lost, and will never come together again. The Arabs today, even though small in number are big because of Islam and strong because of unity. You should remain like the axis for them, and rotate the mill (of government) with (the help of) the Arabs, and be their root. Avoid battle, because if you leave this place the Arabs will attack you from all sides and directions till the unguarded places left behind by you will become more important than those before you.

If the Persians see you tomorrow they will say, "He is the root (chief) of Arabia. If we do away with him we will be in peace." In this way this will heighten their eagerness against you and their keenness to aim at you. You say that they have set out to fight against the Muslims. Well, Allah detests their setting out more than you do, and He is more capable of preventing what He detests. As regards your idea about their (large) number, in the past we did not fight on the strength of large numbers but we fought on the basis of Allah's support and assistance.
===========================================================================================

(1). When some people advised Caliph `Umar to partake in the battle of al-Qadisiyyah or Nahawand, he finding it against his personal inclination, thought it necessary to consult Amir al-mu'minin, so that if he advised against it he would plead before others that he had stayed back on Amir al-mu'minin's advice, but also if he advised partaking in the battle some other excuse would be found. However, unlike others, Amir al-mu'minin advised him to stay back. The other people had advised him to join in fighting, because the Holy Prophet did not send only others to fight but took part in it himself as well, keeping his close relations also with him. What Amir al-mu'minin had in view was that `Umar's presence in the battle could not be beneficial to Islam, but rather his staying back would save the Muslims from dispersion.

Amir al-mu'minin's view that "the position of the head of government is that of the axis around which the system of the government rotates" is a point of principle and does not concern any particular personality. Whether the ruler is a Muslim or an unbeliever, just or despotic, virtuous or vicious, for the administration of the state his presence is a necessity, as Amir al-mu'minin has explained elsewhere at greater length:

The fact is that there is no escape for men from a ruler good or bad. Faithful persons perform (good) acts in his rule while the unfaithful enjoys (worldly) benefits in it. During the rule, Allah will carry everything to its end. Through the ruler tax is collected, the enemy is fought, roads are protected and the right of the weak is taken from the strong till the virtuous enjoy peace and are allowed protection from (the oppression of) the wicked. (Sermon 40)
The words which Amir al-mu'minin uttered in his advice are not indicative of any quality of Caliph `Umar except his being the ruler. There is no doubt that he held worldly authority, irrespective of the question of whether it was secured in the right way or wrong way. And where there is authority there is centring of people's affairs. That is why Amir al-mu'minin said that if `Umar would go out the Arabs would follow him in large numbers towards the battlefield, because when the ruler is on the march the people will not like to stay behind. The result of their going would be that city after city would become vacant, while the enemy will infer from their reaching the battlefield that the Islamic cities are lying vacant, and that if these people were repulsed no assistance would reach the Muslims from the centre. Again, if the ruler were killed the army would disperse automatically, because the ruler is as its foundation. When the foundation is shaken the walls cannot remain standing. The word "aslu'l-`Arab" (the root chief) of Arabia has not been used by Amir al-mu'minin as his own but he has taken it from the Persians. Obviously in his capacity as the head of the State, Caliph `Umar was, in their view, the chief of Arabia. Besides, the reference is to the country, not to Islam or Muslims, so that there is no suggestion of any importance for him from the Islamic point of view.

When Amir al-mu'minin pointed out to Caliph `Umar that on his reaching there the Persians would aim at him, and that if he fell into their hands they would not spare him without killing, although such words would have touched the brave to the quick and would have heightened their spirits, `Umar liked the advice to stay back and thought it better to keep himself away from the flames of battle. If this advice had not been in accord with his personal inclination he would not have received it so heartily and would have tried to argue that the administration of the country could be maintained by leaving a deputy. Again when other people had already advised him to go out, what was the need for consulting Amir al-mu'minin except to get an excuse to stay back.

http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/SermonDetail.php?Sermon=145
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by maclatunji: 11:31am On Jul 14, 2012
@LagosShia, isn't it painfully obvious that it is a forgery? I mean "Allahu Akbar" and attributing Jahiliyyah occurrences to Islam. As for your long epistle, I laugh in Chinese. Go and learn history you hear.
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 11:41am On Jul 14, 2012
maclatunji: @LagosShia, isn't it painfully obvious that it is a forgery? I mean "Allahu Akbar" and attributing Jahiliyyah occurrences to Islam.
ok

As for your long epistle, I laugh in Chinese.
which epistle? the first one refuting the alleged letter or the sermon from Nahjul-Balagha? which are you refering to?

Go and learn history you hear.

why don't you teach me? i am a willing student as ever wink
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by vedaxcool(m): 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
You could read more on the conquest of persia en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Persia
Umar's triumph still hunt the hearts of many Persians some even tried to re - history to make the fall of Persia a bit palatable. Umar is considered a great military and political strategist as a result of his victory, the fear Umar made ancient foes heraculis and persia think of an allaince. Well happy read!
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by LagosShia: 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2012
vedaxcool: Na wa oh! op where u get these exchange from? Cause while the persian king could be excuse for refering to Allah as Allahu Akbar, it remains puzzling that Umar r.a did the same! Capping off Kay u mean the persian king know good things? I will want to believe ur statement is out of ignorance of the Persian history filled with tales of gore and cruelty offcourse that could be " good things" to any one who live by no criteria! The persian king response if true, was fraught with large scale ignorance as with the advent of Islam, burying of daughters alive had been abolish! Even Islam brought in rules of engagement hence the killing of women and destruction of towns the gravely ignorant king alluded were entirely dreamt up fant asy of a drowning man!

Well history tells us Umar routed the persians kingdom, and this was foretold by the holy prophet pbuh in the hadith of the 12 caliphs of the ummah, would have quoted it but I dey use phone! Unfortunately Umar r.a victory against polytheism would many years later be reverted by Shah Ismail who, being a persian, carried his mistaken belief in worshiping kings as being divine to Islam by associating such with the Prophet pbuh, this the shah achieved by forceful conversions! In anycase Umar victory against the persian kingdom, showed one thing that Islam at its peak expanded rapidly to lands, it was as moral decay entered the people that the decline set in to what we have today!

i do not intend to derail this thread to engage you because eventually when you're shown the truth you will start using insults,vulgar words,curses and vent your frustration with verbal assault.

nontheless,i will still point out your second part of the above post.you claimed Sha Ismail,who spread Shia Islam and adopted it as state official religion turned back to polytheism.as much as that statement is insulting and annoying,i'd have nothing to say other than highlighting it to show how hateful you sound against Muslims who follow the school of thought of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) and describe themselves as Shia.

the second point is Shah Ismail used forceful conversions for people to become Shia from Sunni.again that is not correct.the non-muslims accuse Islam for being a religion spread with the sword and cite the Sunni caliph Umar's conquest of persia in total disregard of the existing factors back then that led to the conquest rightfully or wrongly of Persia.now a hateful Sunni and wannabe Wahhabi is making a similar claim that Shah Ismail used force to convert people in persia from Sunni to Shia.that is not correct and unbelievable.it is unimaginable to see how just one ruler can convert and make belief an entire nation with a very big population.

now let me ask this question to both christians and Sunnis (the brainwashed ones like Vedaxcool) who make allegations of violent conversion.Umar was assasinated months after persia was taken, by a persian slave.Umar was bygone and later on persians became rulers of themselves.why didn't they go back to zoroastrianism and abandon Islam if they were forced?

to Sunnis similarly,Shah Ismail was bygone and before he became Shia,the Shia were persecuted in Persia as elsewhere in the middle east under the Sunni caliphate.after Shah Ismail was gone,why did we not see a reversal of his actions? obviously,it was the fear factor and the persecution of Shia that held the spread of Shia Islam back.we see a similar occurrence even to this day in a Sunni country like egypt.former president Mubarak had a department in the religious affairs ministry known as "eradicating Shi'ism in Egypt".after his removal from office,the salafists who won a large share in the election and the presidency,still have their fear of the spread of Shia Islam.thus a thread was started here on nairaland about that:
https://www.nairaland.com/970957/egypt-presidential-candidate-said-shiites

after the removal of saddam in iraq,shia islam has spread like wild fire because Muslims became acquainted with the truth of the matter.the rapid spread of Shia Islam started after the islamic revlution in iran by Ayatollah Khomeini.iraq being the center of Shia Islam since the saudi wahhabi occupation of Medina and Makkah,was under saddam's control and he suppressed Shia Islam in iraq.if within iraq it was supressed,then how can it leave iraq to spread elsewhere? iraqi Shia Muslims were not even allowed to commemorate Ashura.is this the freedom that Sunnis promote? is this how Islam teaches us in the Quran by stating this:

Holy Quran 16:125
"Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided".

the story is not different in other Sunni countries or even countries that are mixed with an oppressed Shia minority like saudi arabia or even a Shia majority like Bahrain ruled by a Sunni monarchy.

today in this age and time when wahhabi lies printed and published with saudi petro-dollars to target Shia Islam and defame Shia Muslims have failed mainly thanks to the internet,Sunni scholars are literally crying and shedding tears at the rate Sunnis are becoming Shia.a thread with a video of them yelling and crying was posted:

https://www.nairaland.com/827432/main-sunni-sheikhs-scream-testify

going back to the topic,Shah Ismail brought Shia scholars from Iraq,Lebanon and Bahrain to spread Shia teachings and the persians with government backing from Shah Ismail accepted and remained Shia.the fear factor of persecution which the Shia faced for centuries was broken in persia when the ruler himself became Shia.it is like the king of Saudi Arabia becoming Shia and there is freedom for Shia Muslims to worship and teach their beliefs.

so please whenever anyone is to talk about spreading the religion by the sword,christians should not mistake Islam for that and they should know christianity is very good at that.the philippines and mozambique are very good examples of that within the centuries of spanish and portuguese rule.

also,when it comes to persecution and oppression,the history of Islam has always being in overwhelming proportion and constantly through the centuries if not at all times,Sunnis oppressing Shia-whether historically with the worldly and corrupt caliphs who feared for their worldly power from the Shia or in the more recent lethal manifestations of wahhabism/salafism and extreme sectarian hatred against Shia Muslims through terrorist attacks targetting Shia Muslim civilians:

https://www.nairaland.com/961495/timeline-sectarian-terrorism-against-shia
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by vedaxcool(m): 3:22pm On Jul 14, 2012
Kay 17: All those who have read on Zoroasterianism would be aware of the great emphasis on compassion, tolerance, kindness and love. The Persian might have thought Allah was Allahu Akbar, however there was a battle btw Zoroasterianism vs Islam, as who is the true messenger from God, and who preached/teaches the values of peace/tolerance.

Is islam just a tool for cultural assimilation? Is it a reflection of those cruel times? What's peace in invading Persia? What atrocities was the Persian king disgust by?? Why is the Caliph seeking to convert the Persian and offering destruction as an alternative??

Although some of the comments of the Persian were racist, but his response still holds it substance.

Dude u dey make me laugh, this is advanced forms of intellectual dishonesty indeed! The letter is not authetic I thought u atheists dude are suppose to ask for evidence b4 u believe anything? Yet with no link provided and doubts indicated about the contents of the letter u still accept as being a "supreme fact" of history , it seems u guys skepticism is only used when proof for what u dislike is given. Again as always u ignore the fact that Persia has spent most of existence conquering people and in some cases destroying entire communities! Now read this link en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Persia. And u would conclude that ur position on the matter is more of reflex action than intuitive thinking!
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by Rafidi: 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
Islam and Iran: A Historical Study of Mutual Services

Iranians' Shi`ism:

The majority of Iranians turned to Shi'ism from the Safawid period onwards. Of course, it cannot be denied that Iran's environment was more favourable to the flourishing of the Shi'ism as compared to all other parts of the Muslim world. Shi'ism did not penetrate any land to the extent that it gradually could in Iran. With the passage of time, Iranians' readiness to practise Shi'ism grew day by day. Had Shi`ism not been deeply rooted in the Iranian spirit, the Safawids (907-1145/ 1501-1732) would not have succeeded in converting Iranians to the Shi'i creed and making them follow the Prophet's Ahl al-Bayt sheerly by capturing political power.

As a matter of fact, the cause of Iranians' conversion to Islam and that of their embracing of Shi`ism is only one. The Iranian saw that Islam was in harmony with his spirit and he found what he loved and craved for in Islam. The people of Iran, who were an intelligent people by nature and had, moreover, a rich cultural tradition, were attracted to Islam more than any other nation and served it devotedly. They also understood better than others the spirit of Islam, and for the same reason they gravitated towards the Household of the Prophet (S) and tashayyu` came to be .deeply rooted among them. In other words, the Iranians discovered the true spirit and meaning of Islam in the Family of the Prophet (S). It was the Family which could alone answer and meet their spiritual and intellectual needs.

What attracted the Iranian's thirsting spirit to Islam more than any other thing was the Islamic message of justice and equality. He had been deprived of these for centuries, and awaited such a message. The Iranians observed that the only group of Muslims that was free of prejudice and very keen to establish justice and equality in society and showed an unlimited sensitivity in regard to these values was the Household of the Prophet (S). This honourable Family was seen as the sanctuary of Islamic justice, especially by non-Arab Muslims.

If we pay a little attention to the prejudice and discrimination practised by some of the caliphs with regard to their attitude towards their Arab and non-Arab subjects and to 'Ali ibn Abi Talib's defence of the criteria of Islamic equality and impartiality concerning Arabs and non-Arabs, the truth of the matter will become completely clear.

In Bihar al-'anwar (vol.9, bab 124), a tradition quoted from al Kafi records the following incident:

One day a group of the Mawali (Iranian clients of Arab tribes) came to Amir al-Mu'minin 'Ali (A) and complained about the conduct of the Arabs. Tbey said to him that the Messenger of God (S) did not make any distinction between Arabs and non-Arabs in the disbursement of public funds (bayt al mal) or in the matter of marriage. They added that the Prophet (S) distributed public funds equally among Muslims and let Salman, Bilal and Suhayb marry Arab women, but today Arabs discriminated between themselves and us. 'Ali (A) went to the Arabs and discussed the matter with them, but it was to no avail. The Arabs shouted, "It is quite impossible! Impossible! "'All, annoyed and angered by this turn of affairs, returned to the Mawali and told them with utmost regret, "They are not prepared to treat you equally and as Muslims enjoying equal rights. I advise you to go into trade and God will make you prosper. [52]

Mu'awiyah, in his well-known letter addressed to Ziyad ibn Abih, the governor of Iraq, wrote:

Be watchful of Iranian Muslims and never treat them as equals of Arabs. Arabs have a right to take in marriage their women, but they have no right to marry Arab women. Arabs are entitled to inherit their legacy, but they cannot inherit from an Arab. As far as possible they are to be given lesser pensions and lowly jobs. In the presence of an Arab a non-Arab shall not lead the congregation prayer, nor they are to be allowed to stand in the first row of prayer, nor to be entrusted with the job of guarding the frontiers or the post of a qadi.

On the other hand, once when a dispute arose between an Arab and an Iranian woman and they referred the case to `Ali(A), he did not allow any discrimination between the two. His judgement invited the protest of the Arab woman. Thereupon, 'Ali(A) stretched his hands and gathered two fistfuls of soil. Then looking at the dust in his hands he declared, `So far as I can see, I cannot make any distinction between these two handfuls of dust.'

This allegorical act of `Ali (A) reminds one of the famous utterance of the Prophet (S), who said:

All men are from Adam and Adam was from dust. The Arab has no merit over a non-Arab except on the basis of piety (taqwa).

That is, race, nationality and lineage are immaterial in Islam. All lineage goes back to Adam, who was made of dust. What ground can that be for any claim of racial superiority?

In Safinat at-Bihar, the following incident is mentioned under `wali':

One Friday 'Ali (A) was delivering his sermon on a pulpit made of bricks Al-'Ash'ath ibn Qays al-Kindi, one of the eminent Arab chieftains, came up and said: "These red-faced people (Iranians) have come to dominate us in your presence and you don't stop them." Then he angrily declared, "Today I will show what Arabs are!"

'Ali (A) said: "These big-bellied ones drowse in soft beds while they (the Mawali and Iranians) work hard during hot days for the sake of God. Even then they demand that I should drive them away like a tyrant. By God, Who split the seed and created man, I have heard from the Prophet (S) of God, saying : 'By God, even as you in the beginning will fight Iranians with your swords for the sake of Islam Iranians will afterwards fight you with their swords in the way of Islam. [53]

The following traditions are also recorded in Safinat al-Bihar:

Mughirah, comparing 'Ali with 'Umar, always used to say, " 'Ali showed greater consideration and kindness to the Mawali, while 'Umar, on the contrary, did not like them."

A man came to al-'Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (A) and said, "People say that one who is neither a pure Arab nor a pure mawla is of base origin." The Imam (A) asked him, "What do you mean by 'pure mawla'?" The man replied, "It is a person whose parents were slaves earlier." The Imam asked again, "What is the merit in being a pure mawla?" The man answered, "That is because the Prophet (S) said that a people's mawla is from themselves. Therefore, a pure mawla of Arabs is like Arabs. Hence the man of merit is one who is either a pure Arab or a pure mawla associated with Arabs." The Imam (A) replied, "Haven't you heard that the Prophet (S) declared that he (S) was the wali (guardian) of those who have no wali? Didn't he also say, 'I am the wall of every Muslim, whether he be Arab or non-Arab'? Doesn't a person whose wali is the Prophet (S) belong to the Prophet (S)?" After this, he added: "Of these two which is superior: the one who is related to the Prophet (S) and is from him (S) or the one related to a boorish Arab who urinates over his feet?" Then he said: "One who embraces Islam out of his free choice, willingly, is far more superior to him who has embraced Islam due to fear. These hypocritical Arabs were converted to Islam because of fear, while the Iranians came to the fold of Islam willingly and with pleasure. [54]

These kind of incidents, which indicate the prevalence of a policy of discrimination and partiality between Arabs and non-Arabs in the Muslim world, are found in a large number in the history of Islam. The Imams (A) of the Prophet's family were opposed to it. This reason alone is sufficient to understand why the Iranians, who on the one hand appreciated more than others the spirit of Islamic teachings and on the other suffered more than any other people from the consequenses of this discrimination, had come to be partisans of the Family of the Prophet (S).

Insult in the Guise of Support:

The most surprising thing is the attitude of some persons who inflict the gravest of insults on the Iranian people in the name of defence of Iranian race and nationality.

Sometimes they say that the people of Iran wanted to defend their old regime and creed with utmost seriousness, but despite all their grandeur, power, vastness of their land and a large population of a hundred and forty million, they were defeated by a small Arab army of fifty to sixty thousands. If this is true, isn't it a matter of great shame for the Iranians?

Sometimes they say that the Iranians changed their creed and faith because of fear. If what they say be true, the Iranians are the most degenerate people of the world, for a people which fails to preserve its cherished faith against a victor does not deserve the name of humanity.

Sometimes they say that the Iranians remained under the Arab yoke for the last fourteen hundred years. It means that although the military supremacy of Arabs did not last longer than a hundred years, Iranians could never recover from a blow struck fourteen hundred years ago. What a weakness, incapacity and worthlessness it reveals! Even some backward peoples of Africa, after centuries of European colonialism, could, one after another, break their chains and liberate themselves; but a civilized nation with a rich past was defeated by a nomadic people who lost their power within a short time, but that nation could not overcome the shock of her defeat for fourteen hundred years and was compelled to continue living with the creed, ideas, customs, norms, and language of the victor against its own inner inclination!

Sometimes they say that Iranians adopted the Shi'i faith with a view to preserving their old beliefs and customs under its guise. That is, during this entire long period they have been hypocritical in their profession of Islam, and all their claims of being Muslims, with which their history is replete, have been false and deceptive. For the past fourteen centuries Iranians have been telling lies, writing lies and living a life of lies. What greater dishonour and unmanliness is imaginable for a people?!

Sometimes they say that the root cause of all their love and sacrifices for Islam is not to be sought in the affinity of the Iranian spirit with Islam and Shi'ism and the Iranians' grasp and perception of a series of higher truths and teachings; rather, it is to be traced in a single marital union. These people changed the entire course of their lives and culture just for the sake of a kinship born of a marriage. What an absurdly rootless people!

Sometimes they say that the Iranians were eager to defend the creed and government of those days, but they withdrew from the battlefield and preferred to be silent spectators of events. Again what meanness and cowardice!

According to the views of these feeble-minded persons, the Iranian people are the meanest and the most degenerate people of the world, for in fear of their conquerors they abandoned their old script and adopted the Arabic script, paid greater attention to Arabic as compared to Persian and took pains to compile Arabic grammar and dictionaries, wrote their books in Arabic under duress, taught Arabic to their children under fear, incorporated Islamic teachings into the heart and soul of their literature in a state of dread, forgot their ancient creed on account of fear, did not rise to defend their favourite regime, and failed to defend their beloved faith and creed due to fear!

To summarize the views of these persons, the history of the fourteen centuries of the Iranian people reflects nothing but incompetence, hypocrisy, two-facedness, fear, cowardice, rootlessness, meanness and unmanliness, and what they have been lacking all the time was discretion, choice, conviction, faith and love of truth. In this way the greatest of all insults are piled over the heads of the noble people of Iran by these senseless individuals.

But the respected reader of this book will see for himself that these are false allegations against Iran and Iranians. Whatever the Iranian did was with his own discretion and choice. The Iranian has been competent, not hypocritical and double-tongued; brave and courageous, not timid and cowardly; a seeker of truth, not shortsighted and attentive to passing events; with deep roots, not rootless and baseless. In the future also the Iranian will retain his roots and integrity and strengthen further his ties with Islam with every passing day.

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/iran/mutual.htm
Re: Caliph Omar's Ultimatum To Persian King, Yazdgird Iii And The King's Response by Rafidi: 3:26pm On Jul 14, 2012
The Wahhabi contributor further mentioned:

Actually most of Iran have accepted the SUnnah of the prophet and
joined the Jamaah before they were forcefuly converted to Rafidhism by
the Safwiyyeen, to show the extent of the strength of the fitnah in
there.

Most people of Persia followed Ahlul-Bayt from the beginning of the
appearance of Islam in that place, eventhough the Umayad and Abbasid
oppressive governments continued to prosecute the followers of Ahlul-Bayt
in Persia, Iraq, Hijaz, and other places.

No body can force a person to convert into another religion, since religion
is in the heart of People and not in ID. Your logic slips away from me when
I see many Arabs inside the Arabian Peninsula (what is now know as the
kingdom of Saudi Arabia) are the Shia of Imam Ali (AS) despite the
oppressive regimes in Hijaz since the early history of Islam. Perhaps you
give me an excuse that Hijaz was a part of Iran at the time!

http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter5a/12.html

(1) (Reply)

Jumua'h Prayers: The Conversation From Surah Jumua'h / Ruling Concerning Post Burial Gathering Is Bidi'a In Islam / As A Muslim, Have You Ever Asked Yourself; What's Next After Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.