Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,341 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? (1947 Views)

Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. / Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" / HipHop Beef: Most Intresting Beef Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by timimaybac(m): 9:18am On Oct 25, 2007
yo im a big hip hop head, n' jus d oda day while surfin d net, i checked up d billboard top 100, and the no. 1 song was a dude callin himself souljah boy. so i decided 2 check out d song. it was like listenin 2 another language, dis dude basically said nothin. and d song is no. 1. no wonda nas said hiphop is dead. if u feel like i feel hola bac aight!
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by A40(m): 3:10pm On Oct 25, 2007
Bobo i am asking myself the same thing o! it sounded more like hindu or some strange incantation to me.I think there should be a new genre called hip-pop
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by youngdigi(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2007
blame it on jay-z, pdiddy and the south entirely
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by 9jaLady: 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2007
Look, Soulja Boy is not the only one poisening the minds of kids, hip-hop has been dead for a while. And yes you can blame it on Jay-Z, Diddy, and the rest. I guess there's no need of trying to keep it alive. We should have a new genre called hip-pop because the radio stations are poisoning the mind of people to think that garbage is hiphop, when the real hip-hopers are out there.

That's why I only listen to gospel hip-hop now, atleast those guys are talking about something more sensible, positive, and something I can relate to.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by mrmetoo(m): 9:35pm On Oct 25, 2007
Blame it on diddy and Jay-Z?? R u guys kidding? U guys should go back and do your research and find out these guys impact on hip-hop. I know the genre is taking a lot of blows but saying these guys are responsible is so far from the truth
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by 9jaLady: 10:04pm On Oct 25, 2007
I'm not saying that they killed hiphop, but because they are such a major part of hiphop, they play a part in it. Jay-z for example, if the new generation are going to follow after him, that means their will not be anymore creativity in rhymes. All he does is to take what other people have already said in the past and say it again. There's nothing wrong with borrowing a line here and there, or borrowing a style here and there, but to take what has already been done in every song, now thats really getting out of hand. And didnt doesnt even write rhymes, he writes checks.

Dont get me wrong, I respect their business, but I just have to say that they also contributed to where hip-pop is right now. (and 50 cent too).
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by mrmetoo(m): 10:46pm On Oct 25, 2007
Oo ok I see your point
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by youngdigi(m): 12:39am On Oct 26, 2007
i can type a complete fullscap on how each of these dudes contributed to making hiphop what it is right now,  but i'll just summarize

93 - 96 - era of deathrow
we had tupac, dre, doggpound, we had snoop, we also had nas, fugees,  dude we even had scarface doin it from south and hiphop was in the best state, lyrically, subject matter, record sales

97 came p.diddy and mase, then came the pretty boy image, then came the flashy shiny suits, then came the dollars sprayin in videos, jay-z was right beside them doin his thing with rocafella, he was the one who materialized the ICE image "a huge bucket of frozen water on my chest", hiphop became a lifestyle of flossing, subject matter was decreasing slowly

98 came master p, the real dude seeing REAAAL MONEY, and guess what?? the fact he had money blinded everyone that this guy and his whole crew were the lamest rappers on earth, hiphop already had HIV at this point in time because 90% of fans were sayin , oh that master p dude got money and no one even focused on his muscial content, subject matter was almost dead

99 came cash money, same image as master p, need i say more?

2000 henceforth, the money thing became more of an image thing for most rappers, so they will front on what they don't have, and rap about it to prove they got it, slowly limiting hiphops content to bitches, ice, fast cars, , all of this goes with the lifestyle of partying, so party music became the in thing

today, thats why we can see artists like souljah boy, yung joc and co making the crappy music they do today and thats what the world embraces, its pathetic but this is the current state of hiphop, cna it go back to waht it used to be? i doubt it, but i think it cud change for the better

i also hold the following responsible because i feel they cud have made some changes to stop where the game was going
nas, 50 cent and dmx
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by nguage(m): 2:13am On Oct 26, 2007
Hip-hop is not dead, it just went underground. Lupe Fiasco is bringing it back. All y'all real hiphop heads need to get all the mixtapes and the album too. I'll post the mixtapes here for free download. I just bought the Blu and Exile album "Below The Heavens" and it is CRACK. The new Talib Kweli album is banging in the eardrums too.
Stand up for Hip hop, cos when the money stops, only real mcs will remain.

LONG LIVE THE HIP-HOP
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by timimaybac(m): 8:18am On Oct 26, 2007
i'm a big jay-z fan and even though sum might wanna blame him 4 makin the game all about hte money n' flossin; u cant deny dat the dude gat skills. even the lupes,kanyes,and talibs all refrence him. diddy on the other hand, emmm! de guy na jus anythin 4 d money. i must admit though, i admire his businessmanship. THE SOUTH, the only real i see there are luda, lil wayne, jeezy, rick ross. u see the problem aint the flossin, ( cos everybody likes to show off one time or the oda) its jus dat there shuld be a balance. nuf said! lipsrsealed
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by bolajibaok(m): 12:00pm On Oct 26, 2007
young digi is so correct
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by jerrymania(m): 1:00pm On Oct 26, 2007
Kanye West represents the real Hip Hop. Graduation is off the hook. 50 cent is so damn lame, Curtis was a mess. Talib Kweli is the shid! Souljah Boy is a quack.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by mrmetoo(m): 1:56pm On Oct 26, 2007
young_digi:

i can type a complete fullscap on how each of these dudes contributed to making hiphop what it is right now, but i'll just summarize

93 - 96 - era of deathrow
we had tupac, dre, doggpound, we had snoop, we also had nas, fugees, dude we even had scarface doin it from south and hiphop was in the best state, lyrically, subject matter, record sales

97 came p.diddy and mase, then came the pretty boy image, then came the flashy shiny suits, then came the dollars sprayin in videos, jay-z was right beside them doin his thing with rocafella, he was the one who materialized the ICE image "a huge bucket of frozen water on my chest", hiphop became a lifestyle of flossing, subject matter was decreasing slowly

98 came master p, the real dude seeing REAAAL MONEY, and guess what?? the fact he had money blinded everyone that this guy and his whole crew were the lamest rappers on earth, hiphop already had HIV at this point in time because 90% of fans were sayin , oh that master p dude got money and no one even focused on his muscial content, subject matter was almost dead

99 came cash money, same image as master p, need i say more?

2000 henceforth, the money thing became more of an image thing for most rappers, so they will front on what they don't have, and rap about it to prove they got it, slowly limiting hiphops content to bitches, ice, fast cars, , all of this goes with the lifestyle of partying, so party music became the in thing

today, thats why we can see artists like souljah boy, yung joc and co making the crappy music they do today and thats what the world embraces, its pathetic but this is the current state of hiphop, cna it go back to waht it used to be? i doubt it, but i think it cud change for the better

i also hold the following responsible because i feel they cud have made some changes to stop where the game was going
nas, 50 cent and dmx

Yeah your time line is quite accurate but I won't want to go ahead and blame the artists because if we do that we could as well go back to the era of NWA and said they turned hip-hop violent. In the era of deathrow, some would also argue that they might have been a lil bit responsible for the demise too because it was a lot about drugs, violence, etc with minimal uplifting songs. Puffy, mase, jay-z, and so on came and lightened the whole hip-hop atmosphere which was widely accepted because here were rappers showing another aspect of the hip hop culture. I was a big fan of both eras as u put it. The main problem is the music industry, if its talking about money that makes money now, they want all their artists to talk about money. If its easy women then every rapper they sign must rap about that. Now its snap music and coming up with dances, now all they want to do is almost manufacture artists everyday with their snaps and dances. There has to be a balance in every type of topic to make hip-hop work. Thats the reason artists like Kanye, common. Lupe, talib. etc are like a breadth of fresh air. Kanye is so successful but difficult to imitate and thats what we need right now
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by jerrymania(m): 2:14pm On Oct 26, 2007
How do we seperate Rap from Hip Hop? Those southern dudes actually are doing the hip hop because they sing along good hip hop beats but they aint talking sense. They are all lame exceptions for Ludacris,Lil Wayne (grown up), the rest are all wack like Boyz in d hood, franchise boys,little scrappy,all of them. Rick Ross i confess is wack,but donno if he's from the south. OMG Mike Jones is a dirty ass stupid wackstar. The real Mc's talk real shit like Nas,Krs one,Kanye, Talib Kweli,Mack 10,Ice Cube, Papoose,west side and east side rappers and co. Southern rap anyway is a shame to hip hop. Think of rubbish like Party like a rock star by D shop boyz and Crank that 4rm souljah. It makes me weep.But I kind of like the snap dance thing but it looks childish.guess i'll stop doing it.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by jerrymania(m): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2007
Plies is also wack. Ja rule is f'ed up now.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by eldee(m): 8:55pm On Oct 26, 2007
But does anyone really believe hiphop will ressurect? I don't.
Check out the Billboard hot rap trcaksand u'll see that the end has come(As predicted by Nastradamus). Although u can't blame them, nobody wants to release an album that won't sell.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by jerrymania(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2007
But who cares anyway if hip hop resurrects or not. Everyone goes to the club to dance to these southern rap songs. If it's wack and the population love it then we can do nothing about it.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by ritchboy(m): 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2007
Soulja boy up in it ooo,watch me crank n watch me roool,watch me crank
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by ritchboy(m): 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2007
Souljah boy up in it ooo,watch me crank n watch me roool,watch me crank dat souljah boy dat supaman dat ooo,now watch me YOU! Crank dat souljah boy(x4).
its so hilarious u jus gota like it.wat kinda nigga go by the name "souljah boy tell em"?
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2007
Nobody ever said the song in "crank that" was all that. All people care about is d dance step. I personally think he can't sing/rap whichever one he was doin'.His singin' in "Souljah girl" was even worse. he sucked big time. But i love d dance thingy, it's hot!! smiley besides, he's only 17, he's not like old-ass dudes singin' stuff which makes no sense so he's not that bad.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by naijadiva2(f): 10:58pm On Oct 27, 2007
who cares about him. he's a one hit wonder and who the hell wears bathing apes anymore. opps! wrong time to promote that. when he was on 106npark, he was like he's gonna buy some more. for what?
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 11:02pm On Oct 27, 2007
The song sounds like a child's play,like he was just playin' when he did it because early june before school went out, my friend already got d song and like in august was when everyone started talkin' about him. I found that weird because people already knew d dance step and all before d video came out. I think he was just experimentin' like how people do stuff and post on myspace and ask people what they think 'cause my friend heard it first on myspace. He probably didn't know they were goin' to record him as an artiste. Don't blame d wackness of d song. wink
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by naijadiva2(f): 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2007
the dance is fun but it ain't all that. don't get me wrong, i be doing the dance myself. wink
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 11:10pm On Oct 27, 2007
lol, i feel u. i like d dance but his singin' sucks. souljah girl was worse.d light-skinned dude tried but d song ain't supposed to be freakin' R & B so
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by naijadiva2(f): 11:21pm On Oct 27, 2007
don't get me started on souljah girl. he probably thought he was gonna last with that song. in many cases, southern rappers dont last. except for like ludacris. for a minute i thought jeezy was gonna last. he slowing slipping away but i like him anyways.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 11:42pm On Oct 27, 2007
I really don't know where most of these rappers are from. But one could tell that T.I is from the south, he's good but raps really fast. souljah boy was slow but i just didn't get it
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by naijadiva2(f): 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2007
most of them rap about stupid stuff, things that make no sense like shoes, cars, money or just pure nonsense. but hey, what's my opinion to them when they making money.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 11:54pm On Oct 27, 2007
That's the new thing. They know their songs don't make much sense but they still sing it anywayz. There was this show on BET about hiphop being dead. I dunno if that's the title. Nelly was defending the way rappers these days rap, talkin' bout how they do charity work, donating money and stuff but the critics don't see all that but when they sing about hoes and money,they wanna talk. He talked mad BS to me. honestly, what's doing charity work got to do with singing senseless songs? He doesn't want to be criticized just because he does charity work.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by chiogo(f): 12:00am On Oct 28, 2007
girl, i gotta go now, talk to u later.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by naijadiva2(f): 12:01am On Oct 28, 2007
they're not talking because its good. do they want to get recognized for every good deed. no one is gonna step up to you on the street and say, hey you've been good so you deserve something. being good is expected of everyone so of course if they talkin dirty people are gonna be like what's the deal. do you have to talk about things like that. nelly's comment was just him playing victim.

aight, bye
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by nguage(m): 5:00am On Oct 28, 2007
You didn't include the Wu-tang Clan era. I am a big Wu-tang stan and those guys held hip hop down in 1998-2000.
Re: Souljah Boy? Wat Is Happenin To Hiphop? by hustler(m): 3:00pm On Oct 28, 2007
Unfortunately this is the sorry state of hip hop right now. Slowly being put to sleep. But we gotta ask why rightCatchy beats by pl lke Mannie Fresh,Nitty or Lil Jon. The look for a new dance could be chicken noodle,snapping fingers or w/eva.Get an act who can turn these beats to sumthing maybe Plies,Mike Jones,Souljah boy, Rich boy w/eva boy.Then basically u have a hit song and smthing thats gon get radio play.

The negative aspect is that young ones growing up wont know wat real hiphop is.They'll believe these guys are the bomb.My 13 yr old cuzin thinks party like a rockstar is the best hip hop song ever. Can u blame him. When we dont have hits like One mic,Dead presidents,Nothin like it,droppin enuff these days.

The very best.Now the real mcees are putting out enuff work. Good thing Lupe,Kanye,Freeway,Beans and Jay will drop albums before the end of the year. But doble will come from the guys down south like there is a factory producing em. Put the blame on greed by producers of these southern labels Collipark e.t.c but in the end they are just tryna make money and will bribe dj's to bump their latest sounds(payola). which contributes to the death of real hiphop at the end.

Cant wait for Ni--er by Nas. I know he has something to talk about again.Will wait for American Gangster too. Have heard snippets and i think Jay will make up for the errors in Kingdom come on this album.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official Video: Reminisce – 2mussh [download] / Wapbold.cf Presents New Music Phyno – E Sure For Me ( Olisa Doo) / DOWNLOAD MP3 Gemini Major – Bang Bang Ft. Patoranking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.