Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Cerclage! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cerclage! (6753 Views)

Where Can I Get Transabdominal Cerclage Done In Nigeria? / Laparoscopic Transabdominal Cerclage Option After a failed TVC / All I Need To Know On Cervical Cerclage In Nigeria Including How Much It Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cerclage! by recruitmnt: 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hi,

I had a cerclage placed in 5 weeks ago after a previous 2nd trimester loss. I would classify it more as an emergency one cos I was dilated a fingertip and cervical length had shortened to 2cm at 17 weeks.

Of course, I was given the normal instructions like no heavy lifting, no sex and too take it easy. My Ob/gyn is not an advocate for bed rest but he did say I should take it easy.

I have been fine so far. I foolishly had an orgasm a few days ago and started having pains at the stitch and and increased vaginal discharge. Thank God it has calmed down now. My questions for anyone who has had the stitch are
1. Did you have pains on and off in ur cervix ? ( I've had those a lot)
2. Did you feel the stitch throughout when it was there?
3. How do I know if the stitch is holding up fine?

Thank you.
Re: Cerclage! by TSpayne: 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2012
Typically, most trans-va/ginal cerclages require total bed rest until the 37th week when the sutures can be removed.

Sex is always a great risk. Keep in mind that, se/men on its own, contains chemicals (prostaglandins) which can cause contractions, let alone heavenly feelings. Not a good idea with the stitches in place.

You can only get valid answers for your 3 questions from your doctor. Most women can barely feel what's happening up there, you would only get subjective responses.

Don't take chances and report the incident to the doctor who can then examine you and the state of the cerclage.
Re: Cerclage! by recruitmnt: 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2012
Thank you
Re: Cerclage! by agiboma(f): 8:35pm On Mar 05, 2012
recruitmnt:

Hi,

I had a cerclage placed in 5 weeks ago after a previous 2nd trimester loss. I would classify it more as an emergency one cos I was dilated a fingertip and cervical length had shortened to 2cm at 17 weeks.

Of course, I was given the normal instructions like no heavy lifting, no sex and too take it easy. My Ob/gyn is not an advocate for bed rest but he did say I should take it easy.

I have been fine so far. I foolishly had an heavenly feeling a few days ago and started having pains at the stitch and and increased womanly discharge. Thank God it has calmed down now. My questions for anyone who has had the stitch are
1. Did you have pains on and off in ur cervix ? ( I've had those a lot)
2. Did you feel the stitch throughout when it was there?
3. How do I know if the stitch is holding up fine?

Thank you.

@Recriutment i know what your going through because i to had IC (incompetent cervix). Where are you located? What type of cerclage you got, tvc, or abdominal cerclage? Can you email me please what you described is normal to an extent but there are signs i want to describe to you and also share my story about my IC pregnancy agiboma@gmail.com, IC pregnancies are high risk. I will answer your questions incase someone else has the same situation:

1.) Yes, I had pains constantly, some where so sharp it just hurt a lot on some days, now i knew that was my cervix shortening, In my short pregnancy i had 2 stitches put in place the first one at 15 weeks, the secound one at 24 weeks as my cervix still opened with the tvc cerlclage.
2.) I did not feel it really just sometimes when i was walking
3.) You dont know for sure i found out the first stitch was failing when i did an ultrasound and they saw my cervix was opening and my son was coming out @ 19 weeks, that stitch held for another 5 weeks until they had to re due it @ 24 weeks. Please get regular scans.

Are you taking progesterone, the p17 shots have helped some women to reduce preterm labor and also some women report their cervix had increased in length, because of the shots. Once you get to 24 weeks please have them give you the shots to speed up the maturing of the baby's lungs in case you deliver early, i pray you dont. Also please be aware of the hospitals with neonate units in your area. Get lots of rest, dont listen to your doctor put yourself on bed rest, i spent many months in a high risk pregnancy unit, until i had my son, because of IC, Pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes, i had it all, but g-d saw me through it.
Re: Cerclage! by recruitmnt: 7:04am On Mar 06, 2012
Thanks Aigboma, am seriously trying to keep calm now. I am in Nigeria. I have never had a transvaginal scan. I have trans abdominal ones. Can u catch a short cervix with a trans abdominal scan?

I had a transvaginal cerclage. I have been on nifedipine for preterm labor. My doctor never said anything about the p17. I don't think they do them in Nigeria.

I will tell my doc to do a vag.inal examination for me to check the cervix. Hope that is safe.

Viability starts at 28 weeks in Nig ( that's wot my doc said) so I don't think he'll do steroids before then.

I will send u an email after I see my doctor and get myself together. I trust God will keep me by his graceIJN.
Re: Cerclage! by TSpayne: 10:17am On Mar 06, 2012
recruitmnt:

I have trans abdominal ones. Can u catch a short cervix with a trans abdominal scan?

I had a transvaginal cerclage. I have been on nifedipine for preterm labor. My doctor never said anything about the p17. I don't think they do them in Nigeria.

I will tell my doc to do a vag.inal examination for me to check the cervix. Hope that is safe.

Viability starts at 28 weeks in Nig ( that's wot my doc said) so I don't think he'll do steroids before then.

I will send u an email after I see my doctor and get myself together. I trust God will keep me by his graceIJN.

Yes you can assess cervical shortening with a trans abdominal scan, depending on the skill of the scan operator.

P17 or 17 alpha hydroxyprogesterone caproate isn't common in this part of the world. Its rather new and the cost is also prohibitive. P17 also comes as a gel.

P17 is only given to women who qualify for it.
There are 2 reasons a woman must fufil to get P17

1. You had a spontaneous preterm birth carrying one baby

2. You're currently pregnant with just one baby

P17 doesn't work for all women.
Re: Cerclage! by agiboma(f): 1:03pm On Mar 06, 2012
recruitmnt:

Thanks Aigboma, am seriously trying to keep calm now. I am in Nigeria. I have never had a transvaginal scan. I have trans abdominal ones. Can u catch a short cervix with a trans abdominal scan?

I know first hand the stress of an IC pregnancy, I been there before, please try to remain off your feet as much as possible. A vaginal scan is best to determine the length of the cervix and if it is shortening or if their is any funneling. You should still ask him about the shots @ 24 weeks, because that is technically viability in the western world and the baby can survive @ 24 weeks its a 50-50 chance a @ 25 weeks its 70% survival rate, @ 26 weeks 80% and 28 weeks its like 90%, so my sister hang in their oooo. G-d will see you and the baby through.
I will share more of my expereince with you through email
Re: Cerclage! by recruitmnt: 5:20pm On Jun 08, 2012
Still holding on! smiley
Re: Cerclage! by kafcakes: 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2013
Hello pple, this thread don tey oh, please I have a question, when did you remove your cerclage and did labour follow afterwards.

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Cure Diabetes & High Blood Pressure Patients In 1 Month: / Gain Weight / Ruzu Herbal Tea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.