Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

How Do I Use A Network Key? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Use A Network Key? (959 Views)

~~How To Use A Hotfile Premium Cookie~~ / Do You Use A Mouse With Your Laptop? / Can Virus Damage A Network Card (NIC)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Use A Network Key? by hayprof(m): 7:43am On Oct 26, 2007
I got a PassWord to use a Wireless Internet service, on entering the password at the Connection prompt.

I get this,

the Pass contains ten Characters (Four Numbers & Six Letters)

Re: How Do I Use A Network Key? by Maleeq(m): 12:13pm On Oct 26, 2007
Well, just the prompt said, you need to enter:

- 5 or 13 ASCII characters (All the numbers, letters and symbols you can find on you keyboard)
OR
-  10 or 26 hexadecimal characters (0 -9, A-F)

Now, you said your key consists of 10 characters. By default, the system takes this key to be ALL HEXADECIMAL CHARACTERS because the length is 10. I believe your key has characters outside the Hex range {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F}

Confirm this please.
Re: How Do I Use A Network Key? by hayprof(m): 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2007
In fact i shuld av posted the key given to me.

But hakkerss (ralvy) mite be Waiting'

It has no other character apart frm what i have said.
Re: How Do I Use A Network Key? by Maleeq(m): 9:57pm On Oct 27, 2007
Ok, but I never asked you to paste your WEP key here. All I said is, does the key contain any character(s) outside this set:
{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F}

If yes, then the key is invalid because the network/system decodes WEP keys with a character length of 10 as HEXADECIMAL, and any character outside the ones I listed above in braces is not a hex digit but ASCII character.

Check this:
1AD34[b]H[/b]4BED is not a valid key because the character "H" is an ASCII character not HEX. As such, the system expects you to enter a key with a length of 5 ASCII characters(10 HEX digits) for a 40bit encrypted network or 13 ASCII characters(26 HEX CHARACTERS) for a 104bit encrypted network.

Got the logic?

By the way, did you assign the key yourself or where did you get it from? If someone gave it to you to give you access to a secured network, then my guess is that he played you! or are you trying out random sequence for the key? grin
Re: How Do I Use A Network Key? by folahann(m): 12:32am On Oct 28, 2007
Be more careful

(1) (Reply)

Ram Or P4? / Informations About T.v Card / C: Prompt Doesnt Open Direct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.