Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! (3589 Views)

99 Names Of Allah And Meanings (and Discussions) / 99 Names Of Allah And Their Benefits (good For Your Prayer) / Using One Of The 99 Names Of Allah As Your Name Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by NegroNtns(m): 3:48pm On Mar 06, 2012
Assallam Alaikum brothers and sisters,

I want to share with you a great treasure that I use for dhikr and which I find very beneficial particularly for night vigil prayers. Those who practice Thursday fastings and vigil may want to use this in their night practice and Insha Allah, may you find the Blessings and Mercy of Allah in these teachings. I encourage you owning a copy of this book if you can afford to, otherwise you can use the online guide to navigate and learn the mysteries of these names.

http://physiciansoftheheart.com/

When you get to the site, look at the audio of the authors talking about their collaboration, read about the book and how to order and then go to audio pronounciation guide link. There is an index of the names. There is also a mp3 recitation of all the names stringed together as a recital. Each name selected separately from the index coaches you on how to say and use the practice.

Please buy the book, in hard cover or soft back, if you can afford it. Help the authors and let us appreciate this phenomenal work and their grace in making it available to us. God Bless!!

Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by Sweetnecta: 11:59pm On Mar 06, 2012
Sufism? Ney.
There should nt be anything called Night Vigil in Islam, because in Surah TaHa, Allah told the messenger [as] about not praying all night. The body has right over your desire or mind to continue to go. So you rest in order to maintain the desired balance.

if you make nawaful all night and don't make fard prayer in its time, what a misplacement of priority.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 6:37am On Mar 07, 2012
May Allah enrich your understanding, but what do you understand when I say night vigil prayer? Also, do not be too quick to quote the Quran for supporting arguments that you do not have clarity on. For understanding, I want to share with you that night vigil is allowed in Islam and supported by The Holy Quran. For reference I give you Suraht Al-Qadr (chapter 97).
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by LagosShia: 1:15pm On Mar 07, 2012
"salatul layl" or "qiyamul layl" is night prayer which is recommended in Islam but not obligatory.i am not sure if that is what the OP refers to as "night vigil".otherwise there are no "night vigils" in Islam.please clarify.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by Sweetnecta: 2:45pm On Mar 07, 2012
As sSalaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah; Dudu_Negro and any other who may think that the Night of [Lailatul] Qadr and or the Yaum [including Night] of Arafat are or is evidence for "Night Vigil". The below will go against it, since these are special events only and not day and or night common year round.

Allah says in Surah Taha, making worship easy for His Messenger in verses 2 and 3, that Quran is not revealed as a means of stress or burden. And Surah Muzzammil forbids making prayer or worship obligatory all night long, even for the messenger [as]. Verses 2 to 4 of it, searching on QuranEnglish.com provides a good explanation. Allah's messenger [as] was the best of worshipers of our Lord, Allah. Can anyone worship Allah better or should one ignore the statement of the messenger [as] saying "I am the best among you, yet I sleep at night" when he was cautioning the man who had forbade his bed, including sleeping with wife, taking all night worship, instead.

Islam, is practiced without burdening the body; living a normal life. The messenger [as] was reminded of this by his wife [ra] Aisha bin Abu Bakr who said to the noble soul "why do you worship all night so much that your feet swell up, when you have no sin, except that it is already forgiven, even to the future?" This swelling of feet was even after he has been cautioned in Muzzamil or before it. Either way, it proves that all night "vigil" is not a thing recommended. Even on Arafat or Qadr, people fall asleep.

And Allah knows best.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by LagosShia: 3:00pm On Mar 07, 2012
Sweetnecta:

As sSalaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah; Dudu_Negro and any other who may think that the Night of [Lailatul] Qadr and or the Yaum [including Night] of Arafat are or is evidence for "Night Vigil". The below will go against it, since these are special events only and not day and or night common year round.

Allah says in Surah Taha, making worship easy for His Messenger in verses 2 and 3, that Quran is not revealed as a means of stress or burden. And Surah Muzzammil forbids making prayer or worship obligatory all night long, even for the messenger [as]. Verses 2 to 4 of it, searching on QuranEnglish.com provides a good explanation. Allah's messenger [as] was the best of worshipers of our Lord, Allah. Can anyone worship Allah better or should one ignore the statement of the messenger [as] saying "I am the best among you, yet I sleep at night" when he was cautioning the man who had forbade his bed, including sleeping with wife, taking all night worship, instead.

Islam, is practiced without burdening the body; living a normal life. The messenger [as] was reminded of this by his wife [ra] Aisha bin Abu Bakr who said to the noble soul "why do you worship all night so much that your feet swell up, when you have no sin, except that it is already forgiven, even to the future?" This swelling of feet was even after he has been cautioned in Muzzamil or before it. Either way, it proves that all night "vigil" is not a thing recommended. Even on Arafat or Qadr, people fall asleep.

And Allah knows best.

@brother Sweetnecta

i am not sure of what the brother in the OP referred to as "night vigil".

nevertheless,i must say that you have forgotten to mention that "night prayer" or "qiyamul-layl" also known as TAHAJJUD (a total of 11 rak'at after midnight) is recommended in Islam (for both Shia and Sunni) even though not obligatory you must wake up to pray it.note that this mustahab (recommended) act of worship has nothing to do with the month of ramadan or the day/night of arafat.this recommended act can be performed every night of the year,if you like to do it.

“And (during part) of the night, abandon sleep and keep vigil to pray Salat (tahajjud), in addition to the regular obligatory prayer. Your Rabb (the Sustainer) may (as a reward) elevate you to the position of High Distinction, Glory and Praise.”[THE HOLY QUR’AN: 17:79]

please find out more:

http://www.duas.org/tahajjud.htm

http://www.al-islam.org/salatullayl/5.htm

http://www.al-islam.org/salatullayl/

"Surely the rising by night is the firmest way to tread and the best corrective of speech". (Holy Quran 73:6)

1 Like

Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by Sweetnecta: 9:38pm On Mar 07, 2012
^ Night Vigil, though Dudu_Negro didn't say "all night". But considering the sufi's ideology, I am arguing against all night or vigil similar to what the christians have developed.

The last 1/3 of the night leading to Salatul Subuh is acceptable and recommended. But the messenger [as] cautioned us against extremism in worship and in life. And Allah cautioned His Messenger [as] from surah Muzzammil not to worship all night long. This is what my post was actually saying. Tahajjud or Quiyaamul lail though important, are still inferior to Salaatul Subuh. Just like sunnah fasts of full moon days and mondays and thursday, 3 days of the new month are inferior to Ramadhan.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 1:28am On Mar 08, 2012
Sweetnecta and Lagos,

Sorry I did not clarify. . . .Dudu and Negro are the same person Dudu_Negro, Negro_Nations!

I am happy to read your last response Sweetnecta.

Night Vigil, though Dudu_Negro didn't say "all night". But considering the sufi's ideology, I am arguing against all night or vigil similar to what the christians have developed.

It would appear from this that your sharp response to my call is because of night vigil being perceived by you as a "christian" practice and therefore muslims must not do the same. Your interpretation of the intent in Ta-Ha is very narrow. There are verses in the Quran where Christians and Jews are called enemies of Islam, while in other verses they are called people of the book and of one brotherhood with Islam. People who understand the spiritual interpretation know what is intended by these designations.

Like Lagos told you, there are numerous verses in which night vigil is endorsed and encouraged for the pious muminin. From your reading of Ta-Ha, the qualifier is that night vigil is not obligatory; meaning it is optional. The underlying yardstick is to ask if it is prohibited. Is night vigil prohibited in Islam?

Is pork prohibited in Islam? NO! It is forbidden for consumption but it is not prohibited for survival.

Let us be careful in the way we read and interprete and live the Quran. I am sure our intents are honest. . . . but no need to forbid what God has not forbidden and there is no need to prohibit what He has not prohibited.

Besides, Sufis use the spiritual interpretation of the Quran for their practices, not the literal texts. At the spiritual level of interpretation there is no prohibition in the Quran for night vigil.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by Sweetnecta: 2:32am On Mar 08, 2012
@Dudu_Negro: I used Taha to indicate Islam, indeed the reservoir of it, does make the religion no a burden and Muzzammil the reason that "all Night" vigil is not part of Islam. From the Quran, again, in Surah Muzzammil, Allah tells Muhammad [as] to observe prayers a part, say more or less 1/2 of the night. This is commandment on Muhammad [as], alone, just like how his marriage was [more than 4 wives and at some time in his life told that there is no more wives for him [even if all were divorced or dead]].

Even the lailatul Qadr, a person sleeps through it, he will not violate commandment of Allah as the one who didnt make the 5 daily salaat. No one can practice what Muhammad [as] did not practice and say he is not a deviant, because "who ever introduce something into this our affairs is not from me", says the Messenger [as]

[Quote]There are verses in the Quran where Christians and Jews are called enemies of Islam, while in other verses they are called people of the book and of one brotherhood with Islam.[/Quote]You may be correct on the "enemies of islam", depending on what you are referring to. But I cant accept the one brotherhood with islam, unless you show me how. Closest to the believers, yes about the christians, over the jews and the absolute pagans like hindus, especially. How is disbelief in one brotherhood with Islam?
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 3:20am On Mar 08, 2012
I asked you before to share your understanding of night vigil. Do you mind sharing? Night vigil is keeping awake through parts of the night depending on the comfort and convenience for the practicing individual to placate God in the potency of the night elements.

I believe when I say night vigil your visual is someone sitting in prayer from 8 or 9pm till 6am. right?
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by sino(m): 9:03am On Mar 08, 2012
Can we just replace night vigil with tahajud please. I always have problem with the translation of tahajud to night vigil for obvious reason. I think if the OP had used tahajud we wouldnt have the above argument.
i really do admire sufis, the honest ones not the lazy ones who do not carry out their obligations and claim ilm batiny, i am currently reading a book (endless bliss) by one of their scholars and its really inspiring. The truth is that every group has good and bad qualities, take the good in accordance to the qur'an and sunnah and discard the bad.
@topic, i dont know if there is any authentic ahadith that states the essence and use of any of the 99 names of Allah, if there is, can anyone provide them? I would really appreciate it.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 1:10am On Mar 09, 2012
sino,

maybe I should have, I didnt know either that saying night vigil is a taboo. if you stay up part of the night or full night. . . wheter it's one hour, two hours, six hours. . . . who cares what its called? Focus on the practice. . .the act of worship, and let the dogmas and semantics aside. We erect so many barriers and blocks against what people should or not do that we completely abandon the merit of a message and latch on to the semantics of the language.

May Allah guide us all and enlighten our spirit!

Anyway, read Mysticism of Sound and Music by Hazrat Inayat Khan. You will love it, although be careful because this guy uses the Eastern philosophy and wisdom for all his reference points and that may turn you off unless you are very open minded and universal in your outlook.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 1:23am On Mar 09, 2012
I dont know that any hadith specifically talk about the 99 names. There are rituals of life that mankind, as a living being must observe and participate in, whether or not they are instructed by God or are taught by the Prophet (SAWS). Recital of the 99names is one of such acts of rituals that are invoked, not necessarily in doctrines but by custom found to be very helpful, for living the attributes of Allah.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by Sweetnecta: 2:43am On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^ Mysticism of sound and music?
Abeg, Dudu_Negro, stay on a very direct course, and do add anything to your religion, except what Muhammad [as] and his companions [RA] practiced.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 7:18am On Mar 09, 2012
Sweetnecta, you will agree with me that our modern lifestyle and the quest for better knowledge brings us in direct contact and engagements in acts that the Prophet (SAWS) did not know or practice. Are we to disengage and not live in contemporary society because we cannot find reference for their teachings and traditions with the Prophet?
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by sino(m): 9:24am On Mar 09, 2012
@dudu_negro, its not a taboo to call it night vigil, muslims must be distinct from others that practice a different religion this is what the prophet (saw) instructed us. Some over zealous or ignorant people tend to practice what is not sanctioned in the sharia, following the people of the book with the way and manner they carry out their vigil (you need to attend some of this organized vigils to see for yourself). Remember the prophet had foretold that muslims will copy the people of the book so much that if they enter into a hole so will they follow them.

On the book you recommended, i'll like to read it, the title is kinda heavy knowing fully well the islamic view on music. I am tempted to give a view on chants and recitations of the qur'an and dua's which does have a ryhthm, and the prophet had instructed us to recite the qur'an in a melodious voice. Listening to the qur'an being recited, drives one to a state of remorse and awe, makes a grown man shed tears like a baby be he understand what is being recited or not. I do have an open mind, the qur'an and sunnah is my guide to seive the truth from false.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by sino(m): 10:53am On Mar 09, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

I dont know that any hadith specifically talk about the 99 names. There are rituals of life that mankind, as a living being must observe and participate in, whether or not they are instructed by God or are taught by the Prophet (SAWS). Recital of the 99names is one of such acts of rituals that are invoked, not necessarily in doctrines but by custom found to be very helpful, for living the attributes of Allah.

I did get one or two hadiths in sahih bukhari, narrated by abu hurayrah(ra), he said, the prophet(saw) said, "Allah has 100 names less one, anyone who memorises them enters paradise, Allah is witr and loves witr" in another translation, who ever counts them by heart.
Believe in Allah's name and attributes is a branch of tawheed, a muslim must believe in them as absolute, perfect without fault. Remembering Allah (swt) is one of the recomended act, remebering Allah can be through His names and attributes. The prophet(saw) said, the example of one who remebers Allah and the one who doesnt is like the example of a living and a dead.
Allah(swt) says, "say, call upon Allah or call upon Ar Rahman which ever (name) you call upon, to him belongs the most beautiful names. . .(Q17vs110). A muslim who seeks wealth and knows Allah to be Ar Razaq can call upon Him with this name and seek from Him wealth, same result can also be achieved if other of His names and attributes are used. A muslims is expected to begin his task in the name of Allah(bismillah). Allah's names and attributes are there for us to call upon him, seek everything we want from him and also for His remebrance which are all acts sanctioned by the shariah.
Secondly, islam is complete, Allah(swt) says it so in the qur'an. For you to say there are rituals which is a must wether instructed or not cannot be accepted for an act of worship to be a must(wajib) it must be instructed by Allah(swt). If its not in the qur'an and sunnah, then it is not part of islam. Allah knows best.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 6:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
Night vigil is an open term that can be used by anyone, regardless of religion to describe events that occur within the timeline of night. It can be used by Jews, Christians, Muslims, Ifa worshippers, Hindus. . . etc. The practice and acts that occur within the vigil is what is different. Its not like I am asking Muslims to open the Bible and start reading New Testament in the night, no. . . . . .Im not asking people to begin doing nightvigil either. My address is to people who already are doing it and and are familiar with the practice to use this new knowledge if they dont already have it to use. My use of night vigil here is distorted by sweetnecta who thinks it's a Christian practice to do night vigil.

I will repeat, night vigil is a term in English, anyone can use it to describe a night event. The practice of Christian night vigil is different from the practice of Muslim night vigil or Ifa night vigil.

On the issue of music in Islam, people who don't listen to music are emotionally and cosmologically dead. They are alive and breathing, but their awareness of God within the physical realm is adversely stunted. Music is life! What should be censored is immoral music, not MUSIC itself!

May Allah open our consciousness to see and embrace his presence in our hearts and souls, Amen.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by deols(f): 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

this is where you get it wrong. even in an exam, would you describe the leg when asked for the head? Islam is perfect and the dos and donts stated. ANy addition is a going astray wich leads to hell. May Allah save us from that.

Dudu_Negro:

Sweetnecta, you will agree with me that our modern lifestyle and the quest for better knowledge brings us in direct contact and engagements in acts that the Prophet (SAWS) did not know or practice. Are we to disengage and not live in contemporary society because we cannot find reference for their teachings and traditions with the Prophet?

it depends on what aspect of the contemporary society. the ones that are spiritual, bringing us close to God or the ones aimed at giving us comfort and making life easier. What exactly are those contemporary things yu are talking about.
Re: Physicians Of The Heart - 99 Names Of Allah, Explained! by DuduNegro: 3:44am On Mar 13, 2012
Islam is perfect and the dos and donts stated. ANy addition is a going astray wich leads to hell. May Allah save us from that.

it depends on what aspect of the contemporary society. the ones that are spiritual, bringing us close to God or the ones aimed at giving us comfort and making life easier. What exactly are those contemporary things yu are talking about.

This is contradiction!! You cannot in one aspect say Islam is complete on the issue of habits of living but then opt for selective pick and choose on the aspect of modernity. Using your argument of completion, then you should not eat with cutleries since the Prophet(SAWS) never used one. You should not watch television or even use computer since it was never practiced in his time.

These are some of the technicalities that boko haram is fighting to reinstate in the Sharia North. Anything the Prophet did not do is haram and must be removed from society. Extremism!! . . . but the Prophet himself was one of the most broad minded and accomodating of all souls.

(1) (Reply)

How Was Eid Celebration In Your Area...lets Shr Experiences / Zina / Laylatul Al-qadar In Ramadan And Its Significance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.