Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,460 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Lagos State Government Punishing Pupils For Attending Private Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos State Government Punishing Pupils For Attending Private Schools (1522 Views)

Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / Photo: A Teacher Punishing Some Students For Noise Making / Student Cuts Teacher With Machete For Punishing His Girlfriend In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Government Punishing Pupils For Attending Private Schools by eprincipal: 11:27am On Mar 09, 2012
Lagos State government by its circular REF. NO.LED/CON/EXA.2/S.5/VOL.II/62 addressed to all Teachers in the State is clearly implementing a discriminatory process against pupils in public primary schools. The circular is Titled: REGISTRATION FOR YEAR 2012 UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATIONBY CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT SCORES (UBE BY CAS) writes in one of the paragrtaphs titled PAYMENT AND I QUOTE:

"The payment for the UBE by CAS is Five Thousand Naira (N5,000) only per candidate. The payment is for pupils of APPROVED PRIVATE PRIMARY SCHOOLS ONLY while those in public Primary Schools are to enjoy the Free Education Programme of the State Government. Payment should be made at FIDELITY BANK ANY BRANCH IN LAGOS and the ACCOUNT NUMBER is 5030000739. Revenue Code - 40200045 and Agency Code is 4280011. Payment is to commence immediately, and ensure that the Alpha-Beta receipt to be collected at the Bank"

My problem is that Lagos State is asking pupils whose parents pay tax in Lagos and who ordinarily should be in Lagos State schools to pay for a service which their counterparts who are being funded free by the tax paid by their parents. How fair is this? If all pupils in private schools were to be in public schools, does Lagos State have the facilities and manpower to cope with them? And before anyone begins to think of highbrow private schools, let me state clearly that this circular applies to all private schools in the state whether at V. I or Okokomaiko or Ajegunle.

And for those who may have doubts, I may attach a scanned copy of the circular signed by on Mrs. M. I Coker, Director of Exams Board, Ipaja Road, Agege.
Re: Lagos State Government Punishing Pupils For Attending Private Schools by eprincipal: 11:43am On Mar 09, 2012
There was a mistake in the initial post> The discriminatory policy is against pupils in PRIVATE Schools not PUBLIC SCHOOLS, so I am re-posting.

Lagos State government by its circular REF. NO.LED/CON/EXA.2/S.5/VOL.II/62 addressed to all Teachers in the State is clearly implementing a discriminatory policy against pupils in private primary schools. The circular is Titled: REGISTRATION FOR YEAR 2012 UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATIONBY CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT SCORES (UBE BY CAS) writes in one of the paragrtaphs titled PAYMENT AND I QUOTE:

"The payment for the UBE by CAS is Five Thousand Naira (N5,000) only per candidate. The payment is for pupils of APPROVED PRIVATE PRIMARY SCHOOLS ONLY while those in public Primary Schools are to enjoy the Free Education Programme of the State Government. Payment should be made at FIDELITY BANK ANY BRANCH IN LAGOS and the ACCOUNT NUMBER is 5030000739. Revenue Code - 40200045 and Agency Code is 4280011. Payment is to commence immediately, and ensure that the Alpha-Beta receipt to be collected at the Bank"

My problem is that Lagos State is asking pupils whose parents pay tax in Lagos and who ordinarily should be in Lagos State schools to pay for a service which their counterparts who are being funded free by the tax paid by their parents. How fair is this? If all pupils in private schools were to be in public schools, does Lagos State have the facilities and manpower to cope with them? And before anyone begins to think of highbrow private schools, let me state clearly that this circular applies to all private schools in the state whether at V. I or Okokomaiko or Ajegunle.

And for those who may have doubts, I may attach a scanned copy of the circular signed by on Mrs. M. I Coker, Director of Exams Board, Ipaja Road, Agege.

(1) (Reply)

Is Adult Education A Good Course To Study In Ui / President Goodluck Jonathan Approves Federal Polytechnic Of Oil And Gas / SCHOLARSHIP ALERT: 2014 Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship Application (worth N100,000)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.