Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,706 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Somalis In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somalis In Nigeria (8853 Views)

Half Somalis (pictures) / Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somalis In Nigeria by somalian: 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2007
Hi guys I just wanted to know if there is a Somali community in Abuja or Lagos. It will be helpful.
Thanks
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Isiolo(m): 4:56am On Jun 22, 2008
Hello. This is an old topic, but I was surfing this forum and I found this to be interesting. I don't know if you still post here, but you'll find this shall you need it.

I am a fellow Somali so I could help in this department. I don't know the number of Somalis in Nigeria, but I know quite a few who recently went to Lagos. They are there for business and it is a good place to be.

I lived in Kenya for quite some time, and you most likely did as well - or South Africa, and neither place is friendly to foreign business competition which is a bit f-cked up. In Nigeria, you will find that vastly different. They don't care who you are, if you have business to offer they will accept it. If I get to do study abroad, that will be my first African destination.

Here I come, Lagos 2009. grin

1 Like

Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Hero(m): 4:08am On Jun 24, 2008
Isiolo:

Hello. This is an old topic, but I was surfing this forum and I found this to be interesting. I don't know if you still post here, but you'll find this shall you need it.

I am a fellow Somali so I could help in this department. I don't know the number of Somalis in Nigeria, but I know quite a few who recently went to Lagos. They are there for business and it is a good place to be.

I lived in Kenya for quite some time, and you most likely did as well - or South Africa, and neither place is friendly to foreign business competition which is a bit f-cked up. In Nigeria, you will find that vastly different. They don't care who you are, if you have business to offer they will accept it. If I get to do study abroad, that will be my first African destination.

Hello, I'm a Black-American guy and would like to ask you if it's true that most Somalians and Ethiopians do not consider themselves to be blacks? I've heard this mentioned alot, is it true?
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Isiolo(m): 9:07am On Jun 25, 2008
Hero:

Hello, I'm a Black-American guy and would like to ask you if it's true that most Somalians and Ethiopians do not consider themselves to be blacks? I've heard this mentioned alot, is it true?

Somalis and Ethiopians in general see themselves as being Black people, but different from other Sub-Saharan Africans. You have to understand, there is a massive barrier between Somalis/Ethiopians and other Sub-Saharan Africans in terms of geography. We are as distant in terms of geography and culture as the Arabs and Berbers are to Sub-Saharan Africans. But obviously, Somalis/Ethiopians consider themselves Black, but the definition of that word gets watered down according to the individual whom you are speaking to. I know I am a Black-African and I am very proud to have membership in that group.

And no matter what the critics say, Somalia & Ethiopia are the only pure Black nations in Africa. Free of European/Arab genetic or cultural pollution. grin

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/f/f1/280px-Official_LanguagesMap-Africa.png
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by londoner: 9:59am On Jun 25, 2008
So you consider Islam to be an indigenous Somali religion then?
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Hero(m): 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2008
Isiolo:

Somalis and Ethiopians in general see themselves as being Black people, but different from other Sub-Saharan Africans. You have to understand, there is a massive barrier between Somalis/Ethiopians and other Sub-Saharan Africans in terms of geography. We are as distant in terms of geography and culture as the Arabs and Berbers are to Sub-Saharan Africans. But obviously, Somalis/Ethiopians consider themselves Black, but the definition of that word gets watered down according to the individual whom you are speaking to. I know I am a Black-African and I am very proud to have membership in that group.

And no matter what the critics say, Somalia & Ethiopia are the only pure Black nations in Africa. Free of European/Arab genetic or cultural pollution. grin

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/f/f1/280px-Official_LanguagesMap-Africa.png

@ part in bold.

Humm, I don't know if you were joking or not with that comment, though if you were serious in stating that, then I must say that I find it very odd that you would state such a thing. As far as I know, it's quit a popular thing for Ethiopians and Somalis, Eretrians and Sudanese as well, to make it know rather quickly in such discussion that they are mixed with some form of Semite and or Italian mixture in which they absolutely are convinced they all have with the exception of those who they claim are fake Ethiopians simply because they don't posses the swerve hair, narrowed nose and dimmed skin complexion.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Hero(m): 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2008
londoner:

So you consider Islam to be an indigenous Somali religion then?

Never heard that one before, though I do know that some do consider Judaism to be so.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Isiolo(m): 7:02pm On Jun 25, 2008
I think Londoner was being sarcatic. grin

Hero & Londoner, if you look at the map I posted, you will see that Somalia & Ethiopia are the only two nations in Africa whose only official language is an indigenous one. In every other Sub-Saharan country, there is a second language that is also official. Also, there are probably the least number of Whites to be found in those countries as well. If you visit the capital of any major African city, you will see Whites and Indians every 15 meters - I have yet to witness that in the aforementioned countries. Maybe civil war is what keeps them at bay -- a bullet a day keeps the Whitey away. cool

But that's not the topic. The topic is about the Somali community in Nigeria. My only knowledge is that Liberia has more Somali residents than Nigeria. I LOL'd when I first heard that.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by londoner: 10:15pm On Jun 25, 2008
@Isiolo, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

If you areĀ  going to claim that Somalia is free of Arab cultural pollution, then you have to totally ignore the massive influence of Islam in Somalia.

You are correct, its not the point of the thread. I dont know about Somali communty in Nigeria, but I do know this, it will serve you well not to look down your nose at Nigerians because of their colonial past when you get there.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Hero(m): 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2008
londoner:

@Isiolo, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

If you are going to claim that Somalia is free of Arab cultural pollution, then you have to totally ignore the massive influence of Islam in Somalia.

You are correct, its not the point of the thread. I don't know about Somali communty in Nigeria, but I do know this, it will serve you well not to look down your nose at Nigerians because of their colonial past when you get there.

Absolutely. Also I've heard that Somali illegals were amongst the ones behind the misfit copy cat "Taliban" assaults carried out last year in Northern Nigeria in which were rather quickly stomped out by the Nigerian military. As Nigeria continues to make its way into advancing its economic and social status-- I'll be rather worry of some of these folks who are attempting to stream in from many of these rather radical nations Like Somalia, Sudan and Lybia, in that I feel that they may cause them problems down the road. Problems of the Terroristic type as many of them appear to be extreme puppets/slaves of the Arabians.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Isiolo(m): 3:48am On Jun 26, 2008
This thread has really degenerated into something completely different. Aren't there rules against off-topic posting?

And when the hell did Somalis carry out attacks in Nigeria? The point of this topic is to find Somalis in Nigeria and now Somalis are fighting wars there? I think you lost me in this topic.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:33am On Jun 26, 2008
Isiolo

those are the kinda things that happen here regularly on nland.

topics give birth to other topics

May be u could go 2 the dating and meeting-up zone to meet ur people wink
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by londoner: 9:52am On Jun 26, 2008
@ Isiolo, the funny thing is, it was actually you who was responsible for helping the discussion to go off topic in the first place, lol.

Maybe it would have been better to have made that claim to hero's initial question, rather than engaging him.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by dirieaa: 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2009
Bro u need to contact me ASAP, there is something i would like to discuss it with you urgently, and YES i'm somali, grin

fx.dirie(AT)gmail.com

CIAO
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by tpia: 8:30pm On Feb 06, 2009
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Outstrip(f): 1:34am On Feb 07, 2009
tpia:

there's no race or country on earth that Nigerians havent dated or married, so yes, there should be Somalians in Nigeria by now.

Isnt Tai Solarin's son married to an Ethiopian? I'm not sure though.

So is one of Ibru's sons. Ethiopian or eritrean
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by somalian: 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2009
Thanks guys.

I though that there were Somalis in Nigeria, many of them, but that isn't what I'm hearing here.

Who said Ethoipians and Somalis are not pure Africans?
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by morpheus24: 2:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
ikeyman00:

somalan

how many people u shot back home grin
Hehehe! Bros you wicked oh!

As for Somali communityin Naija, They must be blending in with northerners, Haven't seen them in the south at all.

(Off topic; Somali are distinct peoples of African origin, with distinct phenotypes. Again they are of African origin. Their phenotypes and genotypes are distinct to adapatations of Arid African regions vs Tropical adaptations i.e elongated vs Robust features. However this is not true 100% of the time.
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by tamme: 11:31pm On Jul 15, 2009
I heard some are in Lagos
Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Adamskuty(m): 11:07am On Jul 12, 2013
[email][/email]
Isiolo: Hello. This is an old topic, but I was surfing this forum and I found this to be interesting. I don't know if you still post here, but you'll find this shall you need it.

[email]
Isiolo: Hello. This is an old topic, but I was surfing this forum and I found this to be interesting. I don't know if you still post here, but you'll find this shall you need it.

[/email]

Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Adamskuty(m): 11:17am On Jul 12, 2013

[url]

[/url]

Re: Somalis In Nigeria by Adamskuty(m): 11:24am On Jul 12, 2013

[https://www.nairaland.com/1051173/consider-somalis-black]

[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Do We Actually Need English Names / Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / Culture Where People Walk Half-Unclad Still Exist In Nigeria Of 21st Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.