Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? (1506 Views)

Urgent Vacancy: We Need A Full Time Web Designer/developer / Any Good Web Designer/developer In Need Of Contact Office In Port Harcourt? / Web Designer/developer Needed Asap In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by astronp7(m): 11:40am On Oct 29, 2007
I know that some ten years or more back, did not know we will be experts in this field. But we are, so I want you to share with us:

Why did you become a web designer/developer? What motivated you?
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by astronp7(m): 11:58am On Oct 29, 2007
Personally, I accademic pursuit played a great role in my choice to become a Web Designer. Because I had always wanted to be a Space Scientist or An Aeronautic Engineer. But while seeking formal education I can only settle for Computer Science because of the limited training and cost to pursue my dream field.

But while one computer, I only narrowed down 3 options: To a computer engineer, programmer or web developer. My Choice? I guess you know!

Also the limitation of Nigeria and Africa's presence online has also become a factor. I just wish I can be rolling out 100s of websites for people everyday! smiley

And you?
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by broadcode(m): 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2007
Actually, I have wanted to study computer since secondary school. I was in J.S. 3 when my dad bought a new computer and he told me the software were written by some people  shocked. Since then I have wanted to learn the act of software programming. I opted for computer science at the university and I wasn't too bad in programming.

After school, I met a professor that introduced me to web design after seeing my programming works and explain how I could make more money in web design. He is an Egyptian and came to Nigeria as a consultant in web programming. He taught me web design and since then I never regretted.  cheesy
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by niyyie(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2007
To design websites grin

Seriously, I have a flair for art and computers. I felt the natural way to go was web design.
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by krs1(m): 10:42pm On Oct 29, 2007
As for me, i studied computer engineering in school and have always been facinated with the world of programming. I decided to start with html design cos it looked easy enough. Programming web pages just came naturally after that.

It was after i completed my first project and hosted it online that i realized the potentials. wink And i have been a it ever since.
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by rufaai(m): 11:22pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hmm, Cool Topic!

For me, It was like fun! grin

I got home internet connection during my JSS Holiday after JSCE. that was back 2003 third quarter wink By then I was already email learned because my friend introduced me to email (yahoo) while in my JSS3 cheesy

I explored the internet like hell during that time. I can even remember I use to browse for nearly 20hrs a day, everyday! My mum had to yell sometimes remove my plug before I get up to eat and pray! undecided

I liked internet so much that I begun to wonder how all the sites I browse came to being angry So, I started researching on how websites were created and linked through out the world. tongue

Fortunately I learned that each website was designed/programmed and hosted on a system called web server that connects to the internet and makes it readily available to the world.

I was motivated!

I was looking for how to create my website when I found 00server.com which gave me the chance to create my website using their predefined themes! - It was fun when I showed my friends I've got a website too! cheesy

Later, I realized that I was just using a theme sad. I didn't actually create any site but rather furnished a site that has already been created.

I begun to dislike my poor website due to cool and better websites with nice graphics I explore daily! angry

That was when I moved on trying to create my site! I begun using WYSIWYG website creators like Front Page 2002! (That was my first web design tool) I never knew how to use it but all I know is that it is meant for making websites. So, I just begun using it roughly not knowing actually what I was doing - All I know is I am creating a website! grin

Well, Slowly I begin understanding the power of MS Front Page when I use it to create my site. After that, I started facing difficulties finding how to upload my bulky files to my website. embarassed

I had to upload each file using File Manager, I did everything manually. It took me hours and hours to upload a 5 page website! Making sure I create corresponding folders and upload every file,

From their I was tired of suffering on uploading websites, I then moved to research on how to upload my files to my website. I then discovered FTP which was quite the best system, but my FTP Port was blocked during the time. So, I had no option that to keep my File Manager, uploading manually cry

It was years that I use WYSIWYG until later when I learned HTML and today I advanced to XHTML, CSS and PHP & MySQL.

I always loved Web Developement!

Today, I use Macromedia Studio (Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver Mostly) to create websites and the irony is I am still learning more like ASP, XML, JAVASCRIPTS, VB Scripts and WML Scripts!

Hmm, Even though I am that good, I don't do commercial websites. I only create websites for my own personal use. I wait until when I am an Expert! - I don't want to learn on peoples hardly owned money! (Paying me to advance my self)

Another puzzling thing is that I am now in my 100 Level in the University Studying B.Sc (Hons) Physics! Huh, quite a clean divert from Web Design and Development.

Actually, Web Developement is just my hobby that I advanced to a competitive extent.

I enjoy doing like you enjoy playing football at the field. ( I don't do ball ). While Physics is my career as you chose Computer Science as your career.

I want to be a Physicist majoring in Electro Physics! - Physics of Electricity
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by funmise(f): 11:28pm On Oct 29, 2007
maaaaannnnnnnnn, dis is long can't even read it all
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by rufaai(m): 11:49pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hmm, grin

@ funmise,

That was how long it took me to decide to be a Web Developer. wink Are you a web developer too? grin
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by niyyie(m): 12:54am On Oct 30, 2007
funmise:

maaaaannnnnnnnn, this is long can't even read it all

grin grin grin

I agree with you. I don't read long posts. Just scan through. I'm a busy person.
Rufaai, keep it crisp and sweet. wink
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by rufaai(m): 10:34am On Oct 30, 2007
@ niyyie

I don't write long post actually, It was because It talks about a long period of time. It didn't take me just a day to decide to be a Developer, not even just a year! - I tried to minimize the post!

Take your time and go through.
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by talk2hb1(m): 12:34pm On Oct 30, 2007
i have been dreaming of developing things from scratch building new things or inventing new things thats what motivate me to opt to study engineering in school but i could'nt make it so i desirer to study some other thing that will allow me to build and develope thing from scratch i think thats what push me into webdesigning and programming
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by my2cents(m): 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2007
I will actually be honest and say I became a web developer for the money  tongue

In Nigeria, I was attending school to become an Agric. Economist.  I even had a small farm raising crops and poultry/rabbits that I would turn around and sell to neighbors and friends.  The plan was for me and 4 other classmates (in 4 other areas of study within the college of agriculture - Animal Sc, Crop Sc, etc) to pool our resources after graduation and open a farm rivalling Otta Farms.  This all changed because I left for the US.

When I got to the US, I wanted to continue in that area of study but my Uncle advised me against it saying that the agric industry in America was run by families and powerful corporations.  At best, I would have to study to Master's level (something I didn't want to do) and become a teacher/lecturur/researcher.  Instead, he advised that I become part of the booming dot com era and study to be a software engineer.  I am happy I did, granted Agric. is still in my blood.

A wise man once said, do a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life. I am living proof that doing the opposite also has the opposite effect.  Agric. is in my blood.  Even as a kid, my parents told me that I had told them as early as 5 years of age, after visiting a goat farm, that I wanted to be a goat farmer.  However, I have mouths to feed and so have to go where the money is.  Hmm, this probably explains why I find coding boring atimes and am always looking for a way to get out of it and go for something else wink

Did I hear someone say, "go back to school and get a degree in something you actually like"?  I don't believe in the concept of being a perpetual student.  I think I am passed that stage in life and need to start thinking of retirement.  I would rather stay where I am, save up the money, then use that money to pursue what it is I actually have in mind  cool cool
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by niyyie(m): 1:40am On Nov 01, 2007
rufaai:

@ niyyie

I don't write long post actually, It was because It talks about a long period of time. It didn't take me just a day to decide to be a Developer, not even just a year! - I tried to minimize the post!

Take your time and go through.

Rule 69: My son, Be thou soft on ladies and hard on thine fellow men.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Did You Become A Web Designer/developer? by astronp7(m): 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2007
A life and a course with purpose do achieve greatness. To all designers in the house, I want to say keep up the good work.

(1) (Reply)

I Have Onspeed Username And Password Internet Accelerator) / Dual Core Deserves Kudos For Eyowo Integration / 2,000 Endings Web Addresses (like .lol, .pizza, .sex And .gay) On The Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.