Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,001 members, 7,852,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:35 PM

What Should Chinedu Do? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Should Chinedu Do? (849 Views)

Apple Buys Nigerian Born Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Should Chinedu Do? by Jenpoet(f): 12:02pm On Mar 17, 2012
Chinedu is getting increasingly worried that he has been unable to find suitable employment. He felt with his skills and knowledge, he ought to be the toast of employers, but that is not the case.

He often hear these cynical comments:
“Those we study studied abroad behave as if they are better than those of us who studied in Nigeria”,
“Unemployment is high so preference should be for those who are in Nigeria not some returnees”
“They say they have MBA, check it out, it’s MBA from some mushroom university abroad”

The longer it takes from graduation to finding regular employment, the more difficult it would become to eventually find a suitable job. Chinedu is unhappy and worried.

What are his options?

Chinedu feels unwanted at Home. He had to leave the relative comfort of the UK at the end of studies. He is now a virtual citizen; he feels hated abroad, unwanted at home!

What will you do if you were in his shoes?

Drop your comments below please. Chinedu need to hear from you!

Full story here: http://www.ventures-africa.com/opinions/a-diaspora-dilemma-hated-abroad-unwanted-at-home/1215
Re: What Should Chinedu Do? by tanimola22: 8:27pm On Mar 17, 2012
Does this mean that he went home believing that he would surely get a job? What was his plan B? I have always made people know that there are many foreign trained Nigerians roaming the streets of Lagos, especially UK trained Nigerians. They are repete in Lagos. Companies don't even sen them again. Some of these people have first class degrees plus top master's degrees plus professional qualifications plus this and plus that. I particularly heard of a friend's friend who got a first in Geology in Naija, blasted a fully funded offer to study petroleum geology. After everything this dude flew back to naija just like that, believing that Shell and co will begin to beg him cheesy He has been jobless for more than one year. He recently listened to the advice to go and pursue his PhD. Nothing is exactly straight in life, people must know this glaring fact.

Any sane person looking to go back home must have a plan B. This is very important. That is why I always counsel people to do well on their master's so that they can apply for PhD positions. Whether anyone agrees or not, a PhD degree is a hedge against the notorious unemployment that greets many people upon finishing their graduate studies abroad. If anybody must go abroad for master's, he/she must go there, study crazily, blast the grades, do excellent and publishable thesis, apply for PhD all around the world. Also apply for very many jobs too. I bet you, one must show. That is simply hedging and diversification of applications.

You don´t just pack your things and say you are going to Nigeria to look for a job. It is an unwarranted exposure that simple diversification can hugely mitigate. Do you guys remember that Naija guy who came here some months ago to seek advice on whether to accept an oil company offer or a PhD offer? If you recall, that guy had 3 job offers and 5-11 PhD positions. He did not just say 'because I have a great degree companies must run after me'. Things don't work that way.

This is a wake up call for those planning on going abroad for further studies, especially that UK. Open your eyes!!! La Ju re shocked

T22.

2 Likes

Re: What Should Chinedu Do? by Jenpoet(f): 9:50pm On Mar 17, 2012
Great words Tani, Great advice! I hope they are listening and reading!

(1) (Reply)

Sorry!!!!! / House Job / Halliburton To Acquire Baker Hughes....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.