Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,357 members, 7,957,958 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:53 AM

How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? (870 Views)

14 Familiar Phrases That Originated In The Bible. / What Are Some Differences Between Judaism Christianity And Islam? / New Testamentic Roots Of Anti-judaism (derail: Why Did Hitler Hate Jews So Much) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by PastorAIO: 3:38pm On Mar 20, 2012
How much Xtianity originated in Xtianity, How much originated in Judaism?

What christian doctrines cannot be found in Judaism? For example the doctrine of original sin. This is a xtian idea that started, I think, with St. Augustine.

Eating Pork is christian, as allowed by St. Paul.

What more is there?
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Callotti: 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2012
. . . That Jesus is not the son of God or Messiah.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2012
How much christianity originated in paganism?
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by PastorAIO: 4:16pm On Mar 20, 2012
Callotti: . . . That Jesus is not the son of God or Messiah.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/

Interesting link, although there is much inside that I simply disagree with, yet it will digress from what I'm getting at in this thread.
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Callotti: 4:35pm On Mar 20, 2012
Ok.
Please, give us an example of what you want.
Seems like 2 different religions all together with absolutely nothing in common.
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by PastorAIO: 5:26pm On Mar 20, 2012
I gave examples in the OP of what I was looking for. Like the fact that christians can eat pork.

However the idea of a Messiah already exists in Judaism. Also the idea that we are the Temple of God already exists, I believe. So quoting the prophecy that says Messiah will bring God to dwell amongst us in his sanctuary is not invalid if you consider our Hearts the temple of God.

There were numerous candidates for messiah in various generations. Some Jews did accept Jesus as the messiah. That is how the whole christian movement started in the first place.

I'm sure if you thought about what you said you wouldn't claim that there is 'absolutely nothing in common' with christianity and Judaism. Just the name of the God, Jehovah is one thing in common. However the trinity of father son and holy ghost started in christianity.
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:58pm On Mar 20, 2012
Pastor AIO: I gave examples in the OP of what I was looking for. Like the fact that christians can eat pork.

However the idea of a Messiah already exists in Judaism. Also the idea that we are the Temple of God already exists, I believe. So quoting the prophecy that says Messiah will bring God to dwell amongst us in his sanctuary is not invalid if you consider our Hearts the temple of God.

There were numerous candidates for messiah in various generations. Some Jews did accept Jesus as the messiah. That is how the whole christian movement started in the first place.

I'm sure if you thought about what you said you wouldn't claim that there is 'absolutely nothing in common' with christianity and Judaism. Just the name of the God, Jehovah is one thing in common. However the trinity of father son and holy ghost started in christianity.
I agree ..
I understand Christianity as an offshoot of Judaism. Both share the Old Testament, but Jesus' arrival marks a separation between them.
For Jews, Jesus is not the Messiah, was a prophet just like so many others.
In a way, Christianity is a cult is born separated from Judaism.
In my opinion, Jesus did not intend to found the Catholic Church.
The birth of the Catholic Church as such, the trilogy, the concept of hell ... were the result of councils that took place hundreds of years after the death of Jesus.
In fact, upon the death of Jesus, his followers split into different factions that fought each other for supremacy.
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by mazaje(m): 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2012
Concepts like original sin, fall of man, trinity, eternity in hell fire,eating of pork, lack of circumcision, holy communion are purely christian concepts. . .

Concepts like baptism, forgiveness of sins originated from Judaism. . .
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by PastorAIO: 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2012
The main reason for my making this enquiry is because I quite taken aback by the reaction I've seen to the idea that the concept of 2 types of Adam was already in Judaism before Paul mentions it.

I don't know why the fact should be so offensive.

For example, would the fact that there is baptism in Judaism before christianity be offensive to many christians?

Would christianity likewise vehemently defend any of it's own inventions if it were suggested that it existed before. For example if we found that original sin had already been articulated in Judaism would this be considered offensive? Wouldn't it au contraire lend validation to the concept?
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:07pm On Mar 20, 2012
Pastor AIO: The main reason for my making this enquiry is because I quite taken aback by the reaction I've seen to the idea that the concept of 2 types of Adam was already in Judaism before Paul mentions it.

I don't know why the fact should be so offensive.

For example, would the fact that there is baptism in Judaism before christianity be offensive to many christians?

Would christianity likewise vehemently defend any of it's own inventions if it were suggested that it existed before. For example if we found that original sin had already been articulated in Judaism would this be considered offensive? Wouldn't it au contraire lend validation to the concept?
When we speak of religion, the big problem is fanaticism. A Christian should be very fanatical or silly to be offended if we say that baptism is Jewish ... and the "host" is Christian.
There are issues to be analyzed from the standpoint of history and culture, and if we reach a conclusion valid, we must rid ourselves of radical attitudes.
Catholicism (in my opinion) takes Jewish elements (which are based) are also elements pagan and Romans ... Christianity in general has had to make some major adjustments to explain contradictory situations. They also had to adapt dates ... Someone may believe that Jesus was born on December 25th?
We do not believe the Pope!. Someone can believe in that image of Jesus blond and blue eyes?
I do not think there's anything offensive in his words and not in mine.
Just look at historical facts fairly.
Always a pleasure to share opinions with you!
My respects
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by Callotti: 11:43pm On Mar 20, 2012
I couldn't have done a better job.
Re: How Much Xtianity Originated In Xtianity, How Much Originated In Judaism? by PastorAIO: 8:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
Let me change the direction of this thread and ask a similar but different question.

How much of Judaism is shed with Christianity?

(1) (Reply)

Dawkins Breaks A Christian Man's Heart! / Past. E. A Adeboye's Message On Facebook / Nigerian Woman Writes To Melinda Gates: We Don't Need Your Contraception---

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.