Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? (9068 Views)

Will Masturbation Affect Me In The Future? / Can Premature Expulsion Affect My Chances Of Fathering A Child? / Did It Affect My Chance Of Getting Pregnant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ibrahiem(m): 2:26pm On Oct 30, 2007
i have this friend and a room mate who is an addict to cigerettes and trees,he smokes almost 2 hours a day.i dont smoke,infact i have never done but i'm beginning to have respiratory problem and mentel inbalance.he does it in da room.
pls. does his smoking has any effect on innocent me.i need ur help,pls.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Seun(m): 2:31pm On Oct 30, 2007
Of course it affects you!!! See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking. In fact, you're practically a smoker!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by klassyguy(m): 2:38pm On Oct 30, 2007
U are already having respiratory problems and mental imbalance, and you are still asking whether it can affect you.

Presently, you are what they call a secondary smoker, someone who doesn't smoke cigarettes but inhales the cigarette smoke. It is even more dangerous than primary smoking, from what i heard and gathered.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Carlosein(m): 2:54pm On Oct 30, 2007
simple answer: yes it does affect you.

but what do you mean by this

i have this friend and a room mate who is an addict to cigerettes and trees

do you mean dat he climbs trees to smoke, lol grin
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by moreshow(m): 3:06pm On Oct 30, 2007
smoking does affect you,

Read on,

Research has generated scientific evidence that secondhand smoke (that is, in the case of cigarettes, a mixture of smoke released from the smoldering end of the cigarette and smoke exhaled by the smoker) causes the same problems as direct smoking, including heart disease,[5] cardiovascular disease, lung cancer, and lung ailments such as COPD, bronchitis and asthma.[6] Specifically, meta-analyses have shown lifelong non-smokers with partners who smoke in the home have a 20–30% greater risk of lung cancer, and those exposed to cigarette smoke in the workplace have an increased
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by conda00410(m): 3:20pm On Oct 30, 2007
sure it does affects you,
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by mekoyo(m): 3:24pm On Oct 30, 2007
It affects you more than him. Infact you have the greatest disadvantage cause you inhale all the flames coming from him because you don't do it and you are not allegic to it, it affects you internally too, the lungs especially due to the offensive odour you inhale.

Why not tell him to smopke outside the room if at all hw wants to instead turning the place to a bar.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by freelancer(m): 3:36pm On Oct 30, 2007
They've said it all!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by diyobdw(f): 3:53pm On Oct 30, 2007
Exact all u need to know
+
Leave the room if you cant kick him out! cool
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by obyann(f): 4:25pm On Oct 30, 2007
you need to make a move now. Your room mate should stop smoking in the room or better still you can leave the room for him. Run for your dear life
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by parislomo(f): 4:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
Ur quiz has been answered. So please answer Carlosein's question, cos I'm puzzled at that 'tree' thingy myself!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by fashizzle(m): 4:47pm On Oct 30, 2007
Trees hahaha. Nice
grin
@ parislomo (latile?)
trees = chronic = pot = blunt = efo = diganj* = igbo

*And if you still don't know, you better ask somebody. grin
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by DoubleN(m): 5:14pm On Oct 30, 2007
Your Roommate gave you a pass to the chain smokers association without you even knowing! Second hand smoke inhalation is more deadly than smoking the real thing.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by sod4luv(m): 6:03pm On Oct 30, 2007
Double N:

Your Roommate gave you a pass to the chain smokers association without you even knowing! Second hand smoke inhalation is more deadly than smoking the real thing.

So Man run for your lyf,
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by showbobo(m): 6:37pm On Oct 30, 2007
It really affects.i once had a smoker as a roommate too sometime ago,i simply told him he should stop smoking in the room that it was affecting me and he did.you simply just tell him off as well or are you afraid of him??
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ayefele200(m): 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2007
@topic
ur roommate smokes? , ahn ahn, yall both are entitled to the room, yall can make decisions thats is apprehensive and considerable, matter fo fact smoking in the room is dangerous cos the smoke of ciggrate contains co2 which is highly dangerous, inhaling co2 can cause chronic diseases such as cancer,liver problem,kidney diseases, so its advisable to deciet from ppl like, in order to avoid this huge problem,simply sit the guy down explain the situation of things, then if he turn deaf ears,kindly report him to the APARTMENT ASSOCIATION, am sure they will have immedaite solution
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by akara(m): 6:57pm On Oct 30, 2007
hmmmmmmn, Trees eh cool.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by denony(m): 7:20pm On Oct 30, 2007
If he is in secondary smoking level, you are in semi secondary level.
Even to my own observations you are the one enjoying the it more, cos' you enhal it, you can tell the best taste of it.

Better do something or else in the three-four months of continuation you will become smoking champion, its a habbit.
Talk to him to be staying outside instead of staying in the room.

The answer is YES! it will affect you. A stitch in time saves nine.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by laxxyd(m): 7:52pm On Oct 30, 2007
tell ur roommate to smoke outside or else una go soon dey share stick ooooooo. how u take get roommate wey dey smoke trees? the guy na giant?
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by theboy0808(m): 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2007
Of course it will affect thee!
Has thou not heard that common being in a smoke-polluted area is equivalent to smoking 40 sticks of cigarettes?!

One for advice for thee:
Tell thy friend to go smoke somewhere else!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Ndipe(m): 9:49pm On Oct 30, 2007
Second hand smoke poses adverse effects to your lungs like asthma, lung cancer according to the American lung Association. You might be saving a lot of money in the long run if you move out into a place of your own, or share with a non-smoker.

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by finemocha(f): 11:55pm On Oct 30, 2007
what do u mean he is addicted to trees, u mean like the plant cannabis. well my bad side would advice u to join in on the fun but my good side would tell u to please try adn talk to him. It can have some pretty undecent sideeffects on u, if u stay around that. worst scenario cancer, btut u would have to room wiht him for many years.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by oge4real(f): 12:56am On Oct 31, 2007
@poster,
If you have already started to feel these symptoms you have mentioned,I strongly advise you shift base.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by smartsoft(m): 2:53am On Oct 31, 2007
What he mean by the tree is "Weeeeed" as in those thing d condoctor smoke heeeeeeeee ehen "e, gbo, " hehehehe
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by touche(m): 9:39am On Oct 31, 2007
Call NDLEA
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by janami(f): 11:27am On Oct 31, 2007
second hand smoke is bad for u but the good news is dt u ve every right to tell ur room mate to go and smoke elsewhere or just put off the smoke when u are around. u dont need to change rooms, u just have to set rules
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ibrahiem(m): 2:38pm On Oct 31, 2007
thanx 4 da response.dey guy na one hell of a rock.
dont beg me to try cuz i will end up cry and sorry 4 da confrontation.
it's actually ma room but ma big bros brought him and he is aware of his addiction
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by babadee(m): 10:04pm On Nov 01, 2007
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me?

you'll get lung cancer and die a very horrible death!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by MP007(m): 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2007
u are technically regarded as a secondary smoker. , u better do something about your unfourtunate situation
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by yourhuby: 1:27pm On Nov 02, 2007
If you room mate smokes it dose affect you alot Like one of our friend did reffer you, Illd love to check effects of ETS- environmental tobacco somoke on tobacco free kids sight , According to sicintiffic reseach Ets or passive smookers inhale four times more casnogenes than the actual smoker so it means that for every one cigarette stick smoked by yur room mate, in the room you inhale four cigarette wort of tobacco and all the harmful substance it contains .

It may intrest you to allso note that every cigratte smoked cuts lif expectancy for the smoker by 5 miniutes so it means for a passive smoker it cuts life by 20 minuits
Beside that a lot of health issues also comes along like Inpotence for men Respiratory and cardiovascular deases, ploluminary health conditions and of cause cancer and birth complication for women

I think you should either move out that appartment or get him to stop using cigarrets in the room.
you should also have your health cheecked since you said you have stated having respirotary probleme, as the saying goes a stich in time saves nine. Finally you can assert your rights by seeking legal action against not only your room mate but tobacco companies
You could visit the coalition against tobacco office at #2 aroromi street Of molny street at obalande in Lagos for mor advice and assistance.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by goodbuay(m): 3:26pm On Nov 02, 2007
Ma guy better run away from dat room,Have u heard of passive smokers before?if u havnt go get some info on it.Infact u inhale the worst smoke.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by djcrucifix(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2007
you still dey there? you had better ''X'd'' that joint before your palava increases undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

.. / Drinking Of Your Urine (urinotherapy): Health Benefits / Nigerians Must Prepare For Possible Ebola Outbreak - Toyin Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.