Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,557 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? (2571 Views)

Why The Wrong Sleeping Position Can Kill Your Baby. / UN Asks Zika-Hit Nations To Allow Abortion / Will You allow Your Pregnant Wife Do Any Of These? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by Coldfeet(f): 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2012
My aunt got home one day from work in 1990 and asked her sister in law (God rest her soul) who was babysitting for her, if her baby has eaten and she replied yes! But not the baby food she left that she refused to eat it! My aunt then asked what did she eat? Her sister in law told her that Iya Qudus their neighbour breast fed her! When her crying became incessant due to hunger! My aunt didn't take it lightly with her sister in law and neighbour! To cut a long story short my aunt was convinced that no harm was done and that even hospitals beg other lactating mothers to breast feed new born babies whose mothers died giving birth. Am concerned now because my cousin the baby in question who is now in her twenties is manifesting some odd characteristics that is strange in the family. I was wondering if its possible that Iya Qudus may have transferred some of her genes to her through the breast milk! My aunt got home one day from work in 1990 and asked her sister in law (God rest her soul) who was babysitting for her, if her baby has eaten and she replied yes! But not the baby food she left that she refused to eat it! My aunt then asked what did she eat? Her sister in law told her that Iya Qudus their neighbour breast fed her! When her crying became incessant due to hunger! My aunt didn't take it lightly with her sister in law and neighbour! To cut a long story short my aunt was convinced that no harm was done and that even hospitals beg other lactating mothers to breast feed new born babies whose mothers died giving birth. Am concerned now because my cousin the baby in question who is now in her twenties is manifesting some odd characteristics that is strange in the family. I was wondering if its possible that Iya Qudus may have transferred some of her genes to her through the breast milk!
Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by kelz88(f): 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
EWWWW!!!

Come on now. How can you link the milk to her behaviour?

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by Coldfeet(f): 4:59pm On Mar 21, 2012
kelz88: EWWWW!!!

Come on now. How can you link the milk to her behaviour?
Just wondering isn't it possible?
Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by kelz88(f): 5:05pm On Mar 21, 2012
Genes being passed through bre[i]a[/i]st milk?! WOW!

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by Cuteobi(f): 6:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
shocked Anoda woman breast feed my baby??!! Hell no!! What happend to formula and feeding bottles!! EWWWWWW
Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by Outstrip(f): 6:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
You believe that her strange behavior in her 20s is as a result of something she ate and shi11t out 20 years ago. SMH. It is not a good idea to have strangers breastfeed your child but if the breast milk was harmful it would have been obvious almost immediately. Your cousins behavior has nothing to do with the breast milk she drank two decades ago. I am getting fed up with the kinds of things I am forced to answer to on this website grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by agiboma(f): 9:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
NO LINK please stop this form of premative thinking
Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by InkedNerd(f): 2:56am On Mar 22, 2012
Coldfeet: My aunt got home one day from work in 1990 and asked her sister in law (God rest her soul) who was babysitting for her, if her baby has eaten and she replied yes! But not the baby food she left that she refused to eat it! My aunt then asked what did she eat? Her sister in law told her that Iya Qudus their neighbour breast fed her! When her crying became incessant due to hunger! My aunt didn't take it lightly with her sister in law and neighbour! To cut a long story short my aunt was convinced that no harm was done and that even hospitals beg other lactating mothers to breast feed new born babies whose mothers died giving birth. Am concerned now because my cousin the baby in question who is now in her twenties is manifesting some odd characteristics that is strange in the family. I was wondering if its possible that Iya Qudus may have transferred some of her genes to her through the breast milk!

No, it's not possible that Iya Qudus' transferred some of her genes to your cousin but it is definitely possible that she may have passed on some kind of illness or infection through the brëast milk. Some diseases and infections that can be passed through brëast milk are: HIV infection or HTLV-1, infectious (contagious) tuberculosis [brëastfeeding is safe after the mother has undergone treatment and is no longer contagious], hepatitis A [breastfeeding is safe after the mother receives a dose of gamma globulin], Hepatitis B [brëastfeeding is safe after the baby receives a dose of hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIG). The baby should also be started on the first of three doses of hepatitis B vaccine], herpes simplex [brëastfeeding is safe if there are no lesions on the brëast], chicken pox [brëastfeeding is safe as soon as the mother is noninfectious, meaning all spots are crusted over, lyme disease [brëastfeeding is safe as soon as the mother initiates treatment], beta streptococcus, and a slew of other diseases. But, common illnesses, such as colds, flu, or diarrhea, can't be passed through breast milk. In fact, if a mother is sick, her breast milk will have antibodies in it. These antibodies will help protect her baby from getting the same sickness. Brëast milk is a bodily fluid, just like blood. Would you be willing to give your baby a blood transfusion without first having it tested? A mother's milk is specific for her baby and changes as the baby grows. Brëast milk from another mother may also pass along viruses, which a baby can't fight because he/she hasn't received that mother's antibodies. Though I don't believe that her supposed behavior or characteristics have anything to do with the the breast milk, it would be a stretch if it was actually what is causing her behavior.What exactly are these behavior and characteristics is this cousin of yours exhibiting that you think is strange to the family?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Allow Another Woman Breastfeed Your Baby? by ademoladeji(m): 10:19pm On Jul 01, 2014
Like seriously? I think it's not a good one to cross breast feed... How hygienic was mama Qudus? I stand to contest the issue of gene transfer though... If mama Qudus won't permit anoda woman to breast feed Baba Qudus, I see no reason why she wld attempt doing that!

(1) (Reply)

Laboratory Analytical Reagents Available / Pregnant Women Fault Lagos Hospitals’ N18,000 Ante- Natal Fee / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.