Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,253 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Computer:programming,dba,etc - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer:programming,dba,etc (830 Views)

Bells University Wins Computer Programming Contest / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? / Article: Why A Career In Computer Programming Sucks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer:programming,dba,etc by Rosam(m): 4:03pm On Oct 30, 2007
I'm an Agriculturist(crop Production) by training, finished service Feb 2006, above 30years, yet to be employed, considering going for training in Computer,
what program do u think will be of help to me?  Is it wise to start any program on computer programming ,how long does it take to become appreciably markettable in this field? u may have better info for me on other areas within the same field. Just need ur advice, pls.
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Oct 31, 2007
Hi Rosam,

Why did you start go to school to become an Agriculturist I would like to get more insight into what it is you exactly want to do regardless of current situation please
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by a3cube: 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2007
unh
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by Rosam(m): 11:31am On Nov 01, 2007
Thanks so much kobojunkie,
decision to go for an Agric course was rather circumstancial, I tried to see how best I could put the training to use, thus far I haven't hit any clue (except lecturing which requires higher cert),considering time and the situation of things around i don't want to just keep waiting and since computer is a course that can be applied in different fields, i feel going for it shouldn't be a waste.The challenge is which one should I go for.
Moreso, I'm not so particular about pursuing a career in Agric at all cost
Thanks
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by Kobojunkie: 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2007
Here is my suggestion. Why not go for a masters in Computer science, say in the science aspect of things. That would not only help you move forward degree-wise but also help you hone in on using what you already know to get somewhere unique. I mean there are millions of people in computing who are struggling to keep there head above and therefore find themselves moving from one end to another , year after year, one year, web development, the next IT. I mean you have something a lot of people do not have and if you can bring computing into the agricultural sector down there. I am going to tell you the truth, getting into computers is not a day issue. Infact, if it is not a passion, people end up spending years trying to find a place in the market and many end up looking elsewhere or remaining small scale cause of the competition out there.

If you invest in getting a masters in computer science, you can get your masters and maybe get certified along the line and then would have killed two birds with one stone.
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by TBag3: 5:34pm On Nov 01, 2007
Thanks for being there and thoughtful, your advice has been so soothing, I'll see what i can do in this respect.
Re: Computer:programming,dba,etc by Bossman(m): 5:52pm On Nov 01, 2007
Have you dabbled in computers before, do you think you would like application development, database design, network management, etc? You need to determine what your strengths are. Yes, there might be money in IT in general, but it's not for everyone. Grab a programming book or search the internet for one, read through it, and see if it's somethng you may want to do for a living.

Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

Which Software Firm Offers The Best working conditions for Programmers? / Robotics / Promise Delivered: Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.