Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,524 members, 7,823,281 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad (4034 Views)

How Did You Get Your Present Job? / 4 Lessons I Learned From Quitting My Job With No Back-up Plan / How Did You Get Your Present Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by ashala(m): 7:01pm On Oct 30, 2007
Presently,i am with one of the new generations banks in Nigeria.I am seriously considering going to the UK to further my Education,but the big question is after that,whats next?.The way my friends and collegues quit their jobs and trouped abroad for their MSC was quite alarming,but is there any guarentee that after that one would get a better job or even stay back.Dont you think it would be better for me to continue with my job and do the Masters programme here in Nigeria?.Presently my take home pay is quite impressive but am really tempted to resign and head abroad like everybody seems to be doing now.What do y'all think?
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by bob2039: 8:05pm On Oct 30, 2007
My friend my advice a bird at hand is worth a trillion birds in the forest.1st consida the circumstance that is making the troupers to abroad u mention do so,do they have your kind of job or have any job at all? And decide to travel.ask urself that question very well, for me stay back and acquire you masters here.and maybe afta u must have goten the experience of banking to the peak.and u stil want abroad taste u can go then and do sum other program that way u get security when u get back.that mine 4 u.
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by bob2039: 8:05pm On Oct 30, 2007
My friend my advice a bird at hand is worth a trillion birds in the forest.1st consida the circumstance that is making the troupers to abroad u mention do so,do they have your kind of job or have any job at all? And decide to travel.ask urself that question very well, for me stay back and acquire you masters here.and maybe afta u must have goten the experience of banking to the peak.and u stil want abroad taste u can go then and do sum other program that way u get security when u get back.that mine 4 u.
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by SwtNsoFLyy(f): 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2007

I suggest that you make proper plans to travel abroad to broaden your horizons. Before you leave, put in a letter of resignation, and make sure you let the current employer know that you not only have enjoyed working with them, but you have grown professionally and personally by working with them, and you want to utilize the growth potential to expand worldwide. These sort of partings on 'good standings' are always good for you, because it is not only professional, but it opens the opportunity to be welcomed to work with them again upon returning to Naija.

Schooling abroad. I wil tell you the same that I told my daughter yesterday during a 2 hour talk. NEVER let anyone stop you from dreaming and expanding yourself in life. NEVER. If you have enthusiasm in your heart to travel and study, and the opportunity presents itself, please take the opportunity. If God plants a seed into your heart, it is up to you to nourish and make the seed grow. The seed that I am speaking of, is your DESIRE to study, your personal goals, your determination to expand your knowledge to become whatever it is that your heart desires.

remember. Some people are content in living from day to day, and will never grow to understand the heart of a person that wants to travel OUTSIDE of that comfort zone. You will do quite well, because you fisrt have the determination to take a courageous step outside of what most consider 'comfort'. when u take broad leaps like this, its coraugeous, and shows your faith, and when u step out in faith, as I told my daughter, always keep GOD as the foundation, and give him thanks for all the doors he will open to lenghten and broaden your path in life.

You can also put 2gether a well written resume (CV) as called in Nigeria, and can possibly land a good job based on your past experience at ur present job. and more likely, it will pay more, even part time.

Good luck and best wishes to you as u travel along ur journey. Life is beautiful, and u will come to recognize and appreciate it more, as u are exposed to the many cultures in this world.
trust i n GOD to help u see that my words 2 be truth and in ur favour ,

love & light,

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by bjibola: 6:35am On Oct 31, 2007
My dear, if u av the money, go for it. Its a great opportunity. I however dont suggest u quit ur job like that, ask for a study leave at work. Most organizations will give u that if u have worked there for a least 2 years. The downside however is that u av tied urself to them and have to go back them once u finish ur masters.

Asapa ur question on getting a good job, or staying back. Have u not seen a lot of adverts where they say a master's abroad will be a great advantage. Yes, u can stay back when u finish. I know for a fact that when u study anywhere in the United Kingdom u get an automatic one year to work that comes with the package and u cant be denied it, In fact Scotland gives there ex students 2 years. If u decide u want to stay back after that one year, there are a lot of immigrant schemes that u can transfer to, HSMP for example. If however, u decide to come back, the world is a global village and u can start looking for a job from there in Nigeria through all these message boards and online applications, if your credentials are really that impressive, u could get a job from there that will bring u back to Nigeria as an expat. All these is if u avent tied urself to ur present employer. It has its own advantage been u v more job security that something is still waiting for u at home.

Anyways, just ask for God's direction as u deliberate and i hope av been of some help i clarifying things.
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by bjibola: 6:41am On Oct 31, 2007
Oh, I forgot about staying home part, If u finally decide u want to stay. Since u are flush, u can try pat utomi's Pan African university. Trust me, It is as good as any business school abroad. Infact, in a review i read, it was rated no 5 business school in the world. U cant go there and not have a good job when u finish.
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by ashala(m): 6:31pm On Oct 31, 2007
thanks a lot guys .i really appreciate.
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by samsilo(m): 6:48am On Nov 01, 2007
@Ashala,
due to the rot in our universities,employers will value an MBA or MSc from a GOOD(note) university abroad. First, there are a lot of quack but registered colleges even in the UK.I have seen one in Lewisham that is worse than some primary schools in the town ,but it offers degrees and masters.
Also life is qute expensive here so even 1million naira(£4000) will run out fast.So you will have to work .
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by lawless: 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2007
my brother, b4 u blow just have in mind that all that glitters is not gold.Everyone mite be travelling but they do not tell u exactly what they see out there.The hustle ther is worse than home cos every dollar made must be planned and accounted for.If u go for studies u will definitly have to work to stay in school and meet ur needs and pray that their taxes dont wreck u.Meanwhile, u could work in Naija and not bother bout taxes which are minimal.
Moreover, there are other dangers out their like racism and terrorism which make life a bit scary.Theres no place like home.I would advice u to secure urself here first, by working for a few more years and studying here.That way u will only have to travel out for holidays, if u like.However, if its possible that u have a full-proof arrangement for urself out there, then do urself a fovour and go, but if not enjoy ur job and try to pursue ur studies here.Safe
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by michindo: 5:34pm On Nov 02, 2007
Please, i may wish you make self assessment of your aim of travel abroad. that is, what is your motivation and what do you intend to use the degree for, your financial status and the institution you intend to go. My brother, if you are not able to substantially and adequately adress this issues-'its not all that glitters in gold'.

For the job, the simple game around it is to appply for leave without pay for a year or 18 months if you are going for masters course. The course should most likely relate to your either first degree or your present work. Am sure, the manegement will find it ease to grant your application under no condition. At least, you have a fall back option!!!

While in the UK, US or where ever, like a colleague mentioned, it not rossy at all. It is a land of individualism ( i mean every body for himself). if you are not fitted, you cant survive. Have in mind, there are not always readily available jobs in commensurate to your qualifications, except for kitchenpology (catering job) and cleanology (cleaner) or securitythat are abundant and the pay is just a little enough to feed and pay your bills. Note, even this medial jobs are now overcrowded by EU migrant workers.

My friend, i never discourage naija guys to come as i cant hide the true nature of life here. its up to you honestly to decide. I have studied in the system and am still studying. Belive me, at the end of my degrees, 9ja here i come after some two years working experience. Do you know that some banks come to London to recruit nigerian graduates?

I wish you good luck in your decision and God's guidance.

Mi
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by bob2039: 10:48pm On Nov 02, 2007
Guy am even gainin more than the original postal of these thread,i gave advice b4 semilar to wat u guys said.bt i learnt more 4rm urs.God bles!
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by angrynaija: 5:01pm On Sep 29, 2010
its ok to further your education abroad, however, but keep in mind to return home upon completion of your studies. you have a better chance to get ahead in nigeria than abroad. that's not to say that you will not find employement abroad, but the problem is that you may never make it to a upper management, and even if you do get a managerial position, you could end up mid management for ever. that is why you must return home where there's a better chance for you to advance to the top of your organisation. the nigerians, or other africans who have executive positions in the west are extremely few and far between. infact you have a better chance in the u.s. than in england, but still very hard to make it to upper management in the u.s. as an african.
the other option is that if you are fortunate enough, you can start a business where you can practically control your own destiny. take it from me, i've been there!
Re: Quitting My Present Job To Study Abroad by kedge: 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
European University is a Business School located in Barcelona, Geneva, Montreux and Munich and offers Business Foundation Program, International Undergraduate Degree program, and International Graduate degree program.

WHY EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY?
1) Recognized for excellence: European University is an internationally accredited multi - campus business school.

2) Pragmatic approach to business theory: EU employs the dynamic case study method - the most effective academic tool to demonstrate the applications of business theory.

3) Transfer opportunities: the global network of EU campuses and close cooperation with some of the leading business schools in the world means that EU students can easily transfer between countries and continents. Students could start their studies in Barcelona, continue in Geneva and finish them in Munich or London.

4) Multilingual environment: all students are proficient English speakers and 98% of them speak at least one other language. EU further refines their communication, presentation and leadership skills, vital to effective management.

5) International and cosmopolitan spirit: student and faculty body comprising more than 100 nationalities.

6) Excellent employment record: EU’s career services office provides personalized counseling and assistance to each student, organizes annual career and internship fairs on-campus and communicates relevant career openings by email. The result is excellent job placement opportunities for EU graduates.

7)Developing business personality: EU prepares its students for success in the global marketplace by providing them with keen analytical skills, refined cultural awareness, multilingual skills and clear strategic vision through traditional as well as cutting-edge business programs.

For more information and free counseling contact KEDGE CONSULTING LIMITED on info@kedgeconsultingltd.com, Julius: 08174610296, Nkechi : 08174610298, Shola:08033608831 visit our website www.kedgeconsultingltd.com.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Register To Be A NECO Examiner / CLEAN HOME AFFAIRS Professional Cleaning Company / Augent Vacancy In A Production Company.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.