Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,097 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers (973 Views)

Interesting Photos That Tell A Deep Story : It Pays To Be Nice To Strangers / Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture / Total Strangers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by dadicvila(m): 9:05am On Mar 26, 2012
Having graduated from a university in a riverine community(NDU)and noticed several cases of students who got drowned in the river and stories of certain supernatural forces that leads to the drowning of those students,while not trying to sound too superstitous i keep wondering if some rivers have the capacity to differentiate between natives and strangers.....what are your experiences??have you guys heard about or witness any particular river that drowns strangers??
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by swtchicgurl: 7:39pm On Mar 26, 2012
yes
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by Obiagu1(m): 2:51am On Mar 27, 2012
Until Michael Phelps gets drowned in one of those rivers, I'll never believe it.
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by odumchi: 3:48am On Mar 27, 2012
It's possible. There are rivers that curse people who fish in them and others that drown people who bathe in them so there must be rivers that do that. I think most of it is supernatural.
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by ifyalways(f): 7:26am On Mar 27, 2012
I don't believe its anything superstitious.I do believe if ever the notion is true it happens because the strangers most probably plunged into a river they have little or no knowledge about and/or are poor or not very good swimmers.

What i mean by no knowledge are :
areas with high tides and water current.
areas with the presence of rocks and/or harmful water animals.

Its only but a foolish stranger that would jump into a pool of water s/he sights without stopping to ask questions.
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by dadicvila(m): 8:50am On Mar 27, 2012
ifyalways: I don't believe its anything superstitious.I do believe if ever the notion is true it happens because the strangers most probably plunged into a river they have little or no knowledge about and/or are poor or not very good swimmers.

What i mean by no knowledge are :
areas with high tides and water current.
areas with the presence of rocks and/or harmful water animals.

Its only but a foolish stranger that would jump into a pool of water s/he sights without stopping to ask questions.
what would you say about a stranger who is a good swimmer and have been swimming in that river for some years and still drowns in the river??or a river that has a special period it claims life?because i remember river nun(amassoma axis)claims lives of students every year during the fishing festival of the community and most of those students are good swimmers,superstition huh
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by ow11(m): 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2012
^^^
Seems like you already have an answer to your question.

Personally, I think every drowning incident can be explained. Did any of the afore mentioned dead swimmers wear a flotation device and still drowned? I would like to see a river which 'claims' victims yearly claim someone wearing a life jacket properly.
Re: Do Some Rivers Kill Strangers by ifyalways(f): 9:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
dadicvila: what would you say about a stranger who is a good swimmer and have been swimming in that river for some years and still drowns in the river??or a river that has a special period it claims life?because i remember river nun(amassoma axis)claims lives of students every year during the fishing festival of the community and most of those students are good swimmers,superstition huh
Urban Legends,IMO.

Ow11 did a good job already.

(1) (Reply)

Ancient Birth Control Methods / Meaning Of Some Common Latin Phrases / See What Nigerians Do Inside Public Toilets(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.