Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ (6059 Views)

Itching An Adverse Effect Of ANTI Malaria Drugs / Pls Does P-alaxin Malaria Drugs Scratch The Body? / W.H.O Bans Some Malaria Drugs In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by Yeske2(m): 4:43pm On Mar 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

who are the manufacturers of fake drugs and products in nigeria if not ibos ? Abeg tell me.
Igbos manufacture fake as you said, which original una dey make or import sef? Just mention one.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by calebosky: 9:32pm On Mar 30, 2012
Capt.Barbosa:
Ibo made!

u re simply a tribalised fool.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by calebosky: 9:36pm On Mar 30, 2012
Yeske!:
Igbos manufacture fake as you said, which original una dey make or import sef? Just mention one.
bluetooth u must b a lazy fellow 4rm d laziest tribe in nigeria. U know nah!
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by Yeske2(m): 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2012
calebosky: bluetooth u must b a lazy fellow 4rm d laziest tribe in nigeria. U know nah!
You can say that again.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by slam7000(m): 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2012
Not all the so called malaria drugs are manufactured in nigeria,loads of substandard drugs are still coming in from india and pakistan.NAFDAC need to work harder,even a very good drug will deteriorate under the intense heat of nigerias weather when its being hawked and sold on metal trays on a very warm day,also the trend of selling drugs inside buses should be banned.its not just about fake drugs,real good ones might not work very well with the way they are being handled and stored in nigeria.most drugs have specific instructions on their leaflets to be stored under a particular temperature but those important advice are not being adhered to.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by xstudios(m): 8:01am On Mar 31, 2012
Living in Nigeria self treatment is almost a norm and I had a case of Steven Johnson Syndrome while on a project in the East just late last year. Thing is I never imagined the drugs were the cause only believing the environmental situation was unbearable. All my mucus layer were all gone by the time I made it to the hospital. I DARE say the cases according to the doctor is most usual affair as he was able to recognize the syndrom eAsily. The EAST has a case to answer, the radio station here have programs to educate and encourage people to seek medical attention.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by noiseless: 11:49am On Mar 31, 2012
Oya mek unu try the Yoruba made "GBONGBONLISE" which they hawk all over westafrica, and claim it cures all diseases.Even if you are given the ones obamas presidential doctor uses to for his meddical attentions to an empty belly the way nigerians do, as most of the time many cant even afford a square meal a day even when they are ill and have to take some drugs, PSL DRUGS DONT WORK ON AN EMPTY STOMACH! so quit shouting igbos all the time or you can always try your "GBONGBONLISE,KILA HOF HOL SIKINESII" lol!
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by UKBobo(m): 1:28am On Apr 01, 2012
Where is the good 16% stocked?
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by jidewin(m): 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2012
This is why I appreciate dora akunyilli.but now...she too is after the BIG BUCKS.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by muyoto: 8:41pm On Apr 01, 2012
xstudios: Living in Nigeria self treatment is almost a norm and I had a case of Steven Johnson Syndrome while on a project in the East just late last year. Thing is I never imagined the drugs were the cause only believing the environmental situation was unbearable. All my mucus layer were all gone by the time I made it to the hospital. I DARE say the cases according to the doctor is most usual affair as he was able to recognize the syndrom eAsily. The EAST has a case to answer, the radio station here have programs to educate and encourage people to seek medical attention.

Stevens johnson's syndrome isn't necessarily caused by fake/substandard medicines, it occurs when the mucous membranes react to the medicine--even the genuine one.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by gulfer: 6:52am On Apr 02, 2012
muyoto:

Stevens johnson's syndrome isn't necessarily caused by fake/substandard medicines, it occurs when the mucous membranes react to the medicine--even the genuine one.
My cousin died due to the fake (substandard) artesunate that his system reacted to, which set off the Stevens Johnson's syndrome. Most doctors in Nigeria are unaware of this and initial treatment given to my cousin at the Gbagada general hospital was treatment for burns without proper diagnosis. Steven Johnson's diagnosis came shortly before he died from a young doctor at LASUTH; and he said if it had been quickly diagnosed at the Gbagada hospital, he might have survived.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by gulfer: 7:13am On Apr 02, 2012
I wonder why there has been very few contributions to this unlike some very trivial topics on this site. We need to sensitize people to this ills especially the very illiterate who indulge in over the counter medication. I am not saying genuine drugs cannot trigger this but the prevalence is more with substandard drugs and while it is a rare medical condition in advance countries this days, it is increasing in number in Nigeria especially; ask doctors in the general hospital. Post my cousin's demise, i Googled it that if condition is detected early, immediately stop the allergic drug, and use the common aloe Vera on the skin, also drink some of it.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by gulfer: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2012
I wonder why there has been very few contributions to this unlike some very trivial topics on this site. We need to sensitize people to this ills especially the very illiterate who indulge in over the counter medication. I am not saying genuine drugs cannot trigger this but the prevalence is more with substandard drugs and while it is a rare medical condition in advance countries this days, it is increasing in number in Nigeria especially; ask doctors in the general hospital. Post my cousin's demise, i Googled it that if condition is detected early, immediately stop the allergic drug, and use the common aloe Vera on the skin, also drink some of it to heal the internal imbalances from the drugs.
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by muyoto: 1:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
gulfer: My cousin died due to the fake (substandard) artesunate that his system reacted to, which set off the Stevens Johnson's syndrome. Most doctors in Nigeria are unaware of this and initial treatment given to my cousin at the Gbagada general hospital was treatment for burns without proper diagnosis. Steven Johnson's diagnosis came shortly before he died from a young doctor at LASUTH; and he said if it had been quickly diagnosed at the Gbagada hospital, he might have survived.

my deepest condolences on the death of your cousin. the point i was trying to make was that SJS may not have necessarily resulted from the substandard drug. If i may ask, how exactly was artesunate found be fake?
Re: 84 Percent Of Anti-malaria Drugs In Lagos Are Fake’ by eyenCalabar(m): 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
For the treatment of malaria with original ACT drug especially the Coartem of Society for Family Health which  know is original and highly recommended, visit Patent Medicine shops or Pharmacies with a kite sign of Roll Back Malaria and inscription OBTAIN QUALITY MALARIA SERVICES HERE and ask for any of the ACT type: ACT 1 for children below 5 (30 NGN), ACT 2 for children 5-9yrs (60 NGN), ACT 3 for 9-13yrs (90 NGN) or ACT 4 for adult (120 NGN). Don't let them sell it above that for you or you threaten to report them to SFH. Again, make sure there is SFH logo on them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Addicted To Tom-tom / How To Get Fatter In Less Than One Month / Multiple Births: Lagos Gives Financial Support To Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.