Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,489 members, 7,840,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric (5086 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Riders Flouts Lagos Law On Restricted Routes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by oluwizard(m): 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2012
texazzpete: All these Lagos motorists calling for the ban on Okada are simply hilarious in their foolishness.

By the time the Okadas are replaced by tens of thousands of Kekes and 20 year old scrap cars on the already over-congested Lagos roads, you people will realise the error of your ways.

The sensible thing is to wait until developments in light rail and water based transportation systems reach an appreciable level before curtailing or banning Okadas. Anything else is sheer lunacy.
♍γ̲̣̣̥ brother U̶̲̥̅̊ gε̲̣̣̣̥†̥ the point
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Mowire: 12:09am On Apr 03, 2012
Aturu's in for okada rider against ban in Ikeja cbd. Why is he not in court over ban in central Abuja. Nonsense.

How long ago has LASG being trying to regulate them and they keep flouting orders. They will never obey traffic lights
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by mastro: 7:30am On Apr 03, 2012
omoola007: Okada should not be banned but rather heavily regulated. I don't take okada because they are simply too dangerous due to the lack of regulation and overall lack of experience and care by the riders. They constantly weave through cars and change lanes with no regard. They cause most accidents on the road and are alway damaging cars. ( dings and scratches) .

All this said, after living in Lagos you will realise that okadas are needed as part of the transportation solution for the masses.

Rather than take the easy way out ( banning them) why not regulate them so that they become productive members of the society. Here are the things I would do to better regulate okada and provide an harmonious and safe coexistence between car drivers and okada riders.

1) register and license them - all okada riders must have a rider license that will require tha they study the road rules and pass a road test. It doesn't have to be a difficult or complicated test. They should be taught safety and regulations via video or other demonstrations and then tested in it. Once they pass they will be give a license and a vest to identify them.

2) form a deciplinary board- in conjunction with their union, form a deciplinary board that enforces sanctions of riders that disobey the rules, - excessive load, dangerous driving , accidents, etc. ( their vest will have their license number. For reporting)

3) create an okada hotline. To report dangerous riding and other issues

4) require helmets for all riders. Any violation wil result in seizing of the okada. So the riders will police themselves. ( they don't want to loose their okada so they will wear helmets and require that passengers do too.

5) make then ride only on outer lanes. The right side of the traffic . Seize their okada for going one way and jail offenders for 3 days.

The easy thing to do is ban the hard and more tangible thing is to regulate them.

Word, we have this problem in this country of throwing out the baby with the bath water, ruling by memo without thinking the consequences through, I've never had cause to use Okada (though I ride a motorcycle) I don't trust them, and my cars bear witness to the damage they inflict, but banning them when there is no viable alternative in place is short sighted, why not go through a consultancy process involving all interested parties, after all this is supposed to be a democracy, then if you ban them in certain areas it may be accepted by all parties
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by obongoboy: 10:56am On Apr 03, 2012
i.:
Nice one.
aℓℓ okada riders should show solidarity with Τ̲̅ђe fellow okadamen whose means of livelihood as been reduced.
i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ this day aπϑ age when there aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ no jobs, bad transport etc Τ̲̅ђe wise government wants †☺ ban okada instead of finding ways †☺ regulate them, I think fashola was wrong i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ banning okada.
so u like this picture

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by obongoboy: 11:23am On Apr 03, 2012
any body supporting okada must Be a pig. they don't obey any law. come to abeokuta road and see the menence course by okada ...... take a look at this picture.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Work In Cars45? Get In Here / Why Are Used Honda EOD Sold For Cheap Price? / Affordable Car For Low Income Earners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.