Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ (6173 Views)

Creating UWP Application In C# Or C++ (xaml) / Any Body Reading Head First C#-lab 2 / C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by nairathemes: 12:13am On Apr 04, 2012
I want to start learning C/C++ and from some research I made online, I discovered that C is a subclass of C++.

I intend learning both, I already bought a book for C.

Which is preferable to start with C or C++?
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by okeyxyz(m): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2012
i'm assuming you are new to programming, so if i may advise you, i'd say learn one of the modern web-based languages(php, java, python, etc). they are easier to learn than c/c++, and you have far greater chance earning a living with them than with c/c++.

1 Like

Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by maninical: 9:17am On Apr 04, 2012
I think the guy knows that. Most people venturing into larger programming languages like Java, C/C++ etc already have good understanding of web base applications.

That is my assumption anyway!
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by escobar07(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2012
if u are totally new to programming, u may want to learn python, ruby or perl first. But again, nothing stops u from learning c or cplusplus as ur first language. There have been novices who did dis. Its depends largely on ur person(personality). Learning c or cpp will enhance ur knowledge of memory (let me not bore u), will make u learn other languages faster.i also advice dat u start wit cpp.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by 8figure(m): 1:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
Too much repetition on one topic, go search it,if you don't find answers then ask.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Fayimora(m): 4:36pm On Apr 04, 2012
Would just answer the question! You can start with C, then slightly start moving to C++. It doesn't really matter. There is a 90% possibility that what you want is actually C++ but C is a good start! Goodluck tho!
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 12:15pm On Apr 05, 2012
he knows what he wants... Why discourage him again eh?... Go for C++. C++ is like modern C. It has backward compatibility for C, object oriented. Qt(a great cross platform developement framework) is based on C++. You still have open GL if you wanna go into graphics or game programming. I think X-code on MAC supports C++ developement for IOS
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Fayimora(m): 2:15pm On Apr 05, 2012
lordZOUGA: he knows what he wants... Why discourage him again eh?... Go for C++. C++ is like modern C. It has backward compatibility for C, object oriented. Qt(a great cross platform developement framework) is based on C++. You still have open GL if you wanna go into graphics or game programming. I think X-code on MAC supports C++ developement for IOS

I want to believe you aren't referring to me
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by lordZOUGA(m): 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2012
Fayimora:

I want to believe you aren't referring to me
no am not... was referring to those that thinks he MUST learn python or any high level language first
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Ghenghis(m): 10:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
Learn C first.

then maybe C++ later. An you can earn a living if you know ANY programming language well enough. Especially C!

Besides you might decide to move to Objective C (IOS uses it extensively) instead of C++.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by ektbear: 12:08am On Apr 07, 2012
Make your life easy and learn C++ from a good book that uses STL/Boost
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Nairaplus(m): 2:59pm On Apr 07, 2012
nairathemes: I want to start learning C/C++ and from some research I made online, I discovered that C is a subclass of C++.

Learn C++. You need to master just one programming language(desktop), rather than learn many with nothing to show for it.

That's my opinion anyway!
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Jivi: 10:57pm On May 12, 2012
Learning C is the same thing as learning C++. In other words, everything in C is in C++ and more. that is why it is called C Plus Plus. So, if you learn C first, you are still learning C++. If you learn C++ first, you are still learning C. The extra thing in C++ is just the object oriented features added to C and some extra standard libraries such as STL to make life easier for programmers. So, you can start anywhere(C or C++).
However, there are some features in C that would not be taught in C++ books because some new libraries in C++ can handle them in an easier fashion and these features although already handled in C++ is necessary for you to learn as a programmer in other to boost your programming IQ in terms of experience. As a result, I will say learn C first for the sake of those features and then C++ afterwards which would be easier since you might have covered the basics in C.

1 Like

Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Philolos: 8:26pm On Sep 14, 2012
nairathemes: I want to start learning C/C++ and from some research I made online, I discovered that C is a subclass of C++.

In today's environment, make sure you've also mastered a basic understanding of technology in general terms. What do I mean by technology in general terms? As it relates to programming, you have to have a basic understanding of how a PC/Mac (hardware), you have to have a good understanding of how a couple of well-known operating systems work, i.e., Windows, Unix/Linux, and obviously the Internet (or web) and Networking (not at the configuring of router/switch level, but understanding IP Addressing, DNS, etc). It would also be nice to know how a database-driven software works. With this type of information in mind, you’ll end up a better programmer than without such mastered basics.

Now to answer your specific question, it would appear you don’t currently have a Computer Science degree, which is by no means a barrier. In fact, the best programmers I’ve come across either don’t have a degree or come from another background (or have another type of degree). The colleges/universities pick a language to help demonstrate what is common across languages. In the early days, institutions used PASCAL and COBOL, nowadays JAVA is very common and so is C# as a first language in schools for students to learning programming. Hope this helps.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by ggiwebinfo: 5:43am On Sep 19, 2012
Both Languages are good and have a great Scope for Future and If You really desires to learn these programming language and You have no knowledge about these language. So You should firstly go for C Language Because C is the basic of Programming Language. If The Concepts of C Language is not Clear to you then You will unable to learn About C++.So For me You should learn C language First.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by cursorsystem(m): 2:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
Since you have made your mind about C language. The best thing is to go for it and be determined. Learning programming language isn not like learning MS office packages. You need to do lot of thinking with ability to combine codes together.

1 Like

Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by LittleBigDick(m): 5:44am On Dec 30, 2022
Best thing I did was to learn c/c++
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by ak22(m): 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2022
as a novice which one should i start with ?
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by tollyboy5(m): 7:57pm On Dec 30, 2022
ak22:
as a novice which one should i start with ?
anyone your mind chooses. i learnt C++ first.

1 Like

Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by ak22(m): 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2022
tollyboy5:

anyone your mind chooses. i learnt C++ first.

thank you.

i think i will cope as a novice ?
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by tollyboy5(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2022
ak22:

thank you.

i think i will cope as a novice ?
You go suffer lol.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by ak22(m): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2022
tollyboy5:

You go suffer lol.

i rebuke it i no go sufer
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by tollyboy5(m): 9:46pm On Dec 30, 2022
ak22:

i rebuke it i no go sufer
Amen o! grin D grin

Start na.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by Deicide: 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2022
Learn C++ first. If you learn C first they you are going to carry some bad habit over to C++ because valid c code is also valid C++ code but not the other way around.
Re: Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ by KrazyDave16(m): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2022
Deicide:
Learn C++ first. If you learn C first they you are going to carry some bad habit over to C++ because valid c code is also valid C++ code but not the other way around.
bad habit?
mind expanding on what that meant??

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Practice Programming on My PC? / Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.