Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,737 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? (3191 Views)

Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 9:10am On Apr 04, 2012
good morning fellow Nlanders.
pls,
I just finished my five-year course in the university, studied project management.
project mgt being such a wide course that u'd need to focus on an area of specialization. so i've decided to venture into ICT. a friend suggested business intelligence, (something about data warehousing, data mining etc.
so please dear friends, i'm new to the world of ICT, and dats why i'm here to ask those senior players in the field what you think of business intelligence.
do u think it's a good idea, would u advise something different?

pls i would treasure any piece of advice, cos i'm sooooo confused at this point.
tnks in advance.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by AjanleKoko: 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
Business intelligence is becoming more relevant in IT in Nigeria, particularly among the consumer-focused industries, like banking, FMCG, manufacturing, and telecoms. There's still a dearth of skills in that area, so there is lots of opportunity for you.

Oracle is the preferred BI environment/tool in Nigeria, so you should find out about Oracle BI, and get yourself into one of the training programs organized by the likes of NIIT and other training schools. You can also upskill yourself by reading books and other materials.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 4:54pm On Apr 04, 2012
OH!
Thank you very much good sir.@ Ajanlekoko.
U've been most helpful.
U have no idea wat u've just done for a brother.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 8:33pm On Apr 06, 2012
more opinions needed please.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by yemode2k: 10:38am On May 09, 2012
Hello,

Business intelligence is becoming the buzz word now, even in the UK Business intelligence is still a green area waiting to be fully explored. it will be a nice idea for any one who is interested in this green area. I have done a lot of research in business intelligence and I have valuable information which i am ready to share. You could contact me at xboxconsult@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 8:22pm On May 09, 2012
tnx sir.. Dat would be awsome!
I'll mail u right away
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by yemode2k: 8:34pm On May 09, 2012
You could mail me at yemode2k@yahoo.com instead
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 1:13pm On May 10, 2012
i'm still expecting ur mail sir.. Thank u again. @yemode2k
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by sholasys: 10:34pm On May 10, 2012
As a project manager you have an edge and you could function in any area, applying your skills. It will be better if you get a job and specialize in that particular application area (career) and gather experience. If you can find your self in oil&gas industry most especially oil servicing company (they do a lot of data analysis, statistical analysis and forecast), there you will appreciate BI better and gain alot of expi Try lay your hand on SAP, sage or any other BI softwares.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 12:25am On May 11, 2012
sholasys: As a project manager you have an edge and you could function in any area, applying your skills. It will be better if you get a job and specialize in that particular application area (career) and gather experience. If you can find your self in oil&gas industry most especially oil servicing company (they do a lot of data analysis, statistical analysis and forecast), there you will appreciate BI better and gain alot of expi Try lay your hand on SAP, sage or any other BI softwares.

wow nice! Tnx allot!!
Pls throw more light on ''sage'' & ''sap''
re they BI related?
Its probably a dumb question, but i just need to ask pls.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by sholasys: 11:20am On May 11, 2012
nell07:

wow nice! Tnx allot!!
Pls throw more light on ''sage'' & ''sap''
re they BI related?
Its probably a dumb question, but i just need to ask pls.
They are application software, business process software with best practice in the world. They have different modules such as financial(takes care of accounting, journal etc), supply chain-procurement, PO, inventory, project system-project cost etc, HR management and so on. They also have BI processes and function which are used to generate required result. People can also give more details.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 11:43am On May 11, 2012
tnx a lot sir..
I should go do more research

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by yemode2k: 4:50pm On May 19, 2012
Since it is an emerging area there may not be tutors at the moment but i advice you to visit the qlikview website to download complete software along with their training. You need to do a lot of research on your own to empower yourself. I still have a good number of materials on business intelligence and analytics which range from videos to software to get you on your feet.

Cheeers.
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by nell07(m): 10:06pm On May 19, 2012
yemode2k:
Since it is an emerging area there may not be tutors at the moment but i advice you to visit the qlikview website to download complete software along with their training. You need to do a lot of research on your own to empower yourself. I still have a good number of materials on business intelligence and analytics which range from videos to software to get you on your feet.

Cheeers.

wow!
And yet ppl say there arent any surviving good nigerians!
Tnx bruv.
I just hope u stay in touch
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by yemode2k: 10:46am On May 26, 2012
Hello,

How is it going? are you getting along with the materials?
Re: How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? by phatdon4u: 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hi NL!
This subject really caught me. I'm also in the same shoes wt the OP, but its a pity that I'm quite late. Nevertheless, I'll appreciate if I can get resourceful materials.. @OP @yemode2k @nell07

(1) (Reply)

Be A Seafarer In 6 Months / Sample Letter Or Guidelines For Seeking Confirmation At Workplace / How Smart And Skilled Is The Nigerian Worker, Actually?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.