Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? (5787 Views)

Were Can I Read Crime Stories On Nairaland / A New But Wonderful Book By A Nigerian I Read / A Poem I Read & Want To Share With Everyone Else - The Eureka Bird (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by AKO1(m): 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2007
Hey people
Pls I need your advice, or advice from any secondary source on the web.
How can I improve my ability to concentrate when reading; anything?
Thanks.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by almondjoy(f): 12:32am On Nov 04, 2007
You need to find out what is distracting you first of all and get rid of it. Sounds, emotions, finances, family problems or whatever. Then you can concentrate.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by AKO1(m): 7:24pm On Nov 04, 2007
Thanks, but you know, its very much easier said than done.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by SamMilla1(m): 7:25pm On Nov 04, 2007
where and who are you.
maybe a little introduction will help people to know what to say to you and how to say it
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by AKO1(m): 7:37pm On Nov 04, 2007
SAM MILLA:

where and who are you.
maybe a little introduction will help people to know what to say to you and how to say it

Im a student
Currently in A levels
I have exams in like 1 wks time
But really, concentrating when I read could be cumbersome at times
Many times (this may b funny) I end up talking with my self on an issue that takes a cue from the subject matter, but bears extremely little relevance
I'm going to study Journalim in Uni and so I need this skill, badly
I've been doing lots of prayer about it but I need to hear from ppl who can concentrate
Because I envy you
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by Gwazah(m): 5:07pm On Nov 09, 2007
on a more serious note! u are not yet serious
but i tell u, make your own time table for each subject or course, each should take at least 1hour, while reading be serious don't think of any thing than your reading take it as if u are reading to go and indoctrinate. after a page stand up and begin to teach to your self talk as if u are mad sing this song "u are married to your book let u forget every thing in life at the movement of reading till it is over" u will surely make it believe if u mean!
i was like that and i practice this i m telling u that after my o level could u believe they offer me Biology in one community secondary school and at the same time one private primary school i make it there before i finally leave
its easy because it is not a disease or sickness just that your mind is not there
Good luck
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by olanajim(m): 6:52am On Nov 10, 2007
@poster,

I would love to help you. But you have to resolve to help yourself.

1. Do you watch tv for up to 5 hour a day? How many hours do you spend in front ot TV and how many do you spend on reading? Be honest pls.

2. Do you have worry problem? Financial, family, or love obssession with a beautiful lady?

3. Do you plug your FM radio to your ears when reading, or listen to music simulteneously?

4. Did you always understand the subject taught during class session?

Pls be honest and let hear you.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by AKO1(m): 11:14pm On Nov 10, 2007
Thanks to you all for your contributions.

@Gwazah: you make a lot of sense, yes its all in the mind. but trust me, its much easier said than done. i also do not quite understand your personal example. i wld generally appreciate it if youre more practical than theoretical.

@olanajim: you were more practical & here are my answers:
Q1; NO. since i started this program im preparing for i barely watch tv, except big brother n sundays. five hours a day is way beyond my average viewing time.
Q2; no, but my mind hitherto tends to stray off into a lot or irrelevant things when i read. these things may not necessarily be worries eg how the day went.
Q3; NEVER. thats one area i know that i cant handle at all, concentrating on something serious with music playing in my ear or in the background.
Q4; sometimes, but if im not able to see the teacher i just take down the notes, and hope that when i read them, ill understand since i at least heard what was said in class. this works roughly 60% of the time.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by olanajim(m): 6:07am On Nov 12, 2007
I think you have poor academic foundation. This is obvious. You have also invested most of your intellectual times ( in the past) on pastime and funs. But you are determined to make something out of life. It is not too late, brother.

I also see you as having memory problems. ( Please, let me know if I am wrong and put me right so I can adjust.)

I also imagine you having a little trouble in class. Again I want to confirm this too. And if possible, try to be specific.

The first step is to change your attitude. You must also take Gwaza's advice very seriously. There is no hard and fast rule about concentration. You must learn to concentrate.

You also have habits of drifting aimlessly while reading. What are things you think about? Can you be specific? Perhaps we can have a glimpse of the problem. Concentration is a subject of your attitude. You can't change anything without changing your attitude.

Please give us a feedback so we can have deeper understanding of your case.

I am sure someone out there would read it.

Meanwhile, I want you to change your mindset from that of "I HAVE CONCENTRATION PROBLEM" to "I AM CONCENTRATING". See the result in your mind even though, you haven't get there. Believe strongly that you will get there.

Pray over it and always relax before you read and after. Have a "can do" attitude and stay focused.

Before you reply do this exercise: IMMEDIATELY YOU FINISH THIS, PUT ASIDE EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING AND GET A PIECE OF PAPER AND A PEN. WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING THAT YOU ARE THINKING. DON'T BOTHER TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS, JUST WRITE EVERYTHING THAT GO ON IN YOUR MIND. AFTER 3 MINUTES STOP, THEN READ YOUR THOUGHT PARTERN. You will repeat the exercise the second day and on. This would allow you to understand your thought flow partern and their nature. From what you write, you will observe what is taking away your concentration. Give me a feedback.

1 Like

Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by almondjoy(f): 7:29pm On Nov 17, 2007
A_K_O:

I'm a student
Currently in A levels
I have exams in like 1 wks time
But really, concentrating when I read could be cumbersome at times
Many times (this may b funny) I end up talking with my self on an issue that takes a cue from the subject matter, but bears extremely little relevance
I'm going to study Journalim in Uni and so I need this skill, badly
I've been doing lots of prayer about it but I need to hear from people who can concentrate
Because I envy you

Do we still have "A" levels in Nigeria?

Well you cannot do what does not come naturally to you.  Maybe you need to think of a "trade".  Not everyone is cut out for academics.  It is not a bad thing.  Your gift may lie somewhere else.  You are too young not to be able to concentrate, unless you are an older student trying to catch up on lost times.

Well if it is not your calling, do not force yourself and suffer the humiliation of inadequacy.  If you were my son or daughter, I would definitely look for "alternate" schooling for you.  It does not look like this is working for you.

Peace though.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by almondjoy(f): 7:33pm On Nov 17, 2007
olanajim:

I think you have poor academic foundation. This is obvious. You have also invested most of your intellectual times ( in the past) on pastime and funs. But you are determined to make something out of life. It is not too late, brother.

I also see you as having memory problems. ( Please, let me know if I am wrong and put me right so I can adjust.)

I also imagine you having a little trouble in class. Again I want to confirm this too. And if possible, try to be specific.

The first step is to change your attitude. You must also take Gwaza's advice very seriously. There is no hard and fast rule about concentration. You must learn to concentrate.

You also have habits of drifting aimlessly while reading. What are things you think about? Can you be specific? Perhaps we can have a glimpse of the problem. Concentration is a subject of your attitude. You can't change anything without changing your attitude.

Meanwhile, I want you to change your mindset from that of "I HAVE CONCENTRATION PROBLEM" to "I AM CONCENTRATING". See the result in your mind even though, you haven't get there. Believe strongly that you will get there.

Pray over it and always relax before you read and after. Have a "can do" attitude and stay focused.

Before you reply do this exercise: IMMEDIATELY YOU FINISH THIS, PUT ASIDE EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING AND GET A PIECE OF PAPER AND A PEN. WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING THAT YOU ARE THINKING. DON'T BOTHER TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS, JUST WRITE EVERYTHING THAT GO ON IN YOUR MIND. AFTER 3 MINUTES STOP, THEN READ YOUR THOUGHT PARTERN. You will repeat the exercise the second day and on. This would allow you to understand your thought flow partern and their nature. From what you write, you will observe what is taking away your concentration. Give me a feedback.

Typical Nigerian approach.  I will like to see how you handle your kids in future. cheesy Probably beat the damn bukuru into his or her skull.  You think everything is by remote control or hypnotics? undecided Has it ever occurred to you that this young man could be in a wrong place of his life?  Must everyone be an academician? undecided

You cannot concentrate on something you have no interest in.  One can easily learn this from children.  They do not have to be yours--but you can observe any child in your family.  When they are not interested in something, there is nothing you can do to make it so.  You just have to find something they are interested in--their natural gift.  It is only in places like Nigeria everything is "BY FORCE"!  You must do this, and you must do that!  Haba!
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by olanajim(m): 9:56pm On Nov 17, 2007
Almondjoy, Nobody is forcing him to do anything. At least he has not said so. Your logic baffled me though.

Yes, he could be in wrong place by his making or his environment. But you can never underestimate the resolution of a determined man to overcome his defficiency. I perceived pessimism in your words and it is unfortunate.

Men and women who had ever risen to the pinnacle of their career did so after doing what people like you thought can never be done. They struggled to overcome their weaknesses and put aside the pessimistic ideal of people like you. Abraham Lincoln have near similar problem but he kept his hope alive and worked hard on himself to achieve his goals. Albert Einstein failed Mathematics at school, yet he invented one of the most important formula in science history and also have loads of intellectual achievents in science and mathematics. Thomas Edison didn't spend a year at school but achieved great feat in intellectual field, I can go on and on.

Yes, it is not by force. But when you find someone yearning for greatness and ready to work his way through. Then, by no mean, give him your little encouragement and wish him luck. If he make it the world would be better for it. And if he fail, it hurt you not. People like you are responsible for Nigerian backwardness. You sees things going badly and turn the other way when you can help just because you are lucky to be in the right environment. We must change that attitude so that our country can move forward.

Almondjoy, repent of your pessimism and stop infecting people with Negative Mental Attitude. For all I know, that chap may genuinely want to make it in life. It is obvious he is young. Please safe your breathe and let him decide whether to rise against odd or to quit before he start.

Please, if you have kids, kindly send them to me before you programme them in your like. Better still, employ an expert if you don't like boarding school. That way, they would not contract your negative thinking
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by almondjoy(f): 1:38am On Nov 20, 2007
olanajim:

Almondjoy, Nobody is forcing him to do anything. At least he has not said so. Your logic baffled me though.

Yes, he could be in wrong place by his making or his environment. But you can never underestimate the resolution of a determined man to overcome his deficiency. I perceived pessimism in your words and it is unfortunate.

Men and women who had ever risen to the pinnacle of their career did so after doing what people like you thought can never be done. They struggled to overcome their weaknesses and put aside the pessimistic ideal of people like you. Abraham Lincoln have near similar problem but he kept his hope alive and worked hard on himself to achieve his goals. Albert Einstein failed Mathematics at school, yet he invented one of the most important formula in science history and also have loads of intellectual ac hievents in science and mathematics. Thomas Edison didn't spend a year at school but achieved great feat in intellectual field, I can go on and on.

Yes, it is not by force. But when you find someone yearning for greatness and ready to work his way through. Then, by no mean, give him your little encouragement and wish him luck. If he make it the world would be better for it. And if he fail, it hurt you not. People like you are responsible for Nigerian backwardness. You sees things going badly and turn the other way when you can help just because you are lucky to be in the right environment. We must change that attitude so that our country can move forward.

Almondjoy, repent of your pessimism and stop infecting people with Negative Mental Attitude. For all I know, that chap may genuinely want to make it in life. It is obvious he is young. Please safe your breathe and let him decide whether to rise against odd or to quit before he start.

Please, if you have kids, kindly send them to me before you programme them in your like. Better still, employ an expert if you don't like boarding school. That way, they would not contract your negative thinking

I really got on your nerves this time! grin

Well my dear, no hard feelings as usual---My kids are free human beings and are free to do what they damn well please if the "academics" is not going to work for them.  You may have read the whole thing wrong because of your "personal feelings"!

Can't do much about that.  Afterall that is what Nigerians do best when you disagree with them and they do not like what they see or hear. Getting all worked up and frustrated is not the issue. Need to concentrate on the message sent. We just disagree that's all.  No need to have an aneurysm on my account. 

The poster has a problem concentrating and it does not take a genius to figure out that he is not interested.  Learn from children please.  All I am saying is that he should not waste his time on something he is not "inn-e-res-ted" in. Let him find his calling.  Like my father used to say "please turn of my lights and save my electricity bill"!!!! Too bad you did not understand and proceeded to lecture instead--as usual!

As for Nigeria moving forward--don't hold your breath too long.  You call me a "pessimist" and I say no. I am a realist! Like to be more practical instead of fantasizing and preaching! 

Cheers!
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by olanajim(m): 11:56am On Nov 20, 2007
Yea, I agree with you that the guy has problem steming from his attitude. But I don't want to pre-empt the possibility of his salvation. Yes you are a realist . But being a realist should not be reason why you must condemn people to failure and write them off. Nigerian has got too much of that supply that is why intelligent youths from the villiage have difficulties in expressing their talents.

If everyone had embrace solid principle of realism as you tent to be postulating, where will Oluchi, Gani Fawehinmi, Tony Elumelu etc get the opportunity to discover themselves? Where would the Awolowos, Rasaq Okoyas, Aliko Dangotes, get the opportunity to be where they are today? My sentiment is that we should give people the benefit of doubt when they show flashes of desire to accomplish something. Of course, we must know when to place "stop loss order".

When you look at what I told the guy earlier, you will find that it is meant to propel him to think and to work on himself. Nobody can do it for him. His success of failure is anchor upon his own being.

"NOT WHAT HE WISHES AND PRAYS FOR DOES A MAN GET. HIS WISHES AND PRAYERS ARE ONLY GRATIFIED WHEN HARMONIZED WITH HIS THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS".

I also take exception to your dragging Nigeria's name under the mud. Some Nigerians may be dull, corrupt, and unpatriotic. The truth remains that, you are a Nigerian. Your intellect and wisdom wasn't made by America. We also know that Nigerian professionals drive the economy of the country you are living no matter how small. Unless you want to tell me that people like you that had found joy in Foreign land are doing nothing. But you are not the idle type. Therefore try and stop generalising negative traits in some Nigerians.

Finally, Alimondjoy, you seem to be passionate about children. Stop comparing adults with children. They are a world apart. Adult can remake themselves, children are programmed by others. Adult have will power, children has desire. Please make distinction.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by almondjoy(f): 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2007
olanajim:

Yea, I agree with you that the guy has problem steming from his attitude. But I don't want to pre-empt the possibility of his salvation. Yes you are a realist .

But being a realist should not be reason why you must condemn people to failure and write them off. Nigerian has got too much of that supply that is why intelligent youths from the villiage have difficulties in expressing their talents.

If everyone had embrace solid principle of realism as you tent to be postulating, where will Oluchi, Gani Fawehinmi, Tony Elumelu etc get the opportunity to discover themselves? Where would the Awolowos, Rasaq Okoyas, Aliko Dangotes, get the opportunity to be where they are today? My sentiment is that we should give people the benefit of doubt when they show flashes of desire to accomplish something. Of course, we must know when to place "stop loss order".

When you look at what I told the guy earlier, you will find that it is meant to propel him to think and to work on himself. Nobody can do it for him. His success of failure is anchor upon his own being.

"NOT WHAT HE WISHES AND PRAYS FOR DOES A MAN GET. HIS WISHES AND PRAYERS ARE ONLY GRATIFIED WHEN HARMONIZED WITH HIS THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS".

I[b] also take exception to your dragging Nigeria's name under the mud. [/b] Some Nigerians may be dull, corrupt, and unpatriotic. The truth remains that, you are a Nigerian. Your intellect and wisdom wasn't made by America. We also know that Nigerian professionals drive the economy of the country you are living no matter how small.

Unless you want to tell me that people like you that had found joy in Foreign land are doing nothing. But you are not the idle type. Therefore try and stop generalising negative traits in some Nigerians.

Finally, Alimondjoy, you seem to be passionate about children. Stop comparing adults with children. They are a world apart. Adult can remake themselves, children are programmed by others. Adult have will power, children has desire. Please make distinction.

Thanks a lot.  Always looking for healthy discourse on Nairaland as my best hobby.

Love your passion! Well, at the end of the day we can both agree to disagree. I recognize there is no room for convergence between us-----so I will leave things as they are since I have nothing but the utmost admiration and respect for your persona on Nairaland.  It has been a pleasure as always!  See you around! kiss
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by olanajim(m): 3:13pm On Nov 20, 2007
I honestly believe we are converging. You are enigma! I wish your critics stop looking at the negatives. I appreciate, almondjoy!
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by diddysnow: 3:12am On Oct 01, 2009
hey i've got an article on this but let me give 5 ways to concentrate briefly 1. silence 2. focal point 3. deep breathing 4. movement 5. contact me on diddy_adeking@yahoo.com for a free ebook on this discussion.
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by adebayo201: 9:33am On Oct 01, 2009
Hmmm
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by Hawlahscho(m): 6:26am On Aug 23, 2014
My dear, don't concentrate joo, you don't need it. Buy like ten season films and enjoy yourself. lols. don't mind me o. I can be high some times even on olive oil.

Now back to normal, winks.

Concentrating while reading is like mind discipline, 1st check that period you read and understand, grab d moment and make it an attitude, train urself to read as much as possible that time.
Never allow anything to distract your attention while reading, when you read make sure you understand what it means in your own language as in translate it inside you so that you'll know so well abt it (it works for me though), don't attempt cramming except for emergency exam, probably go away from your addictions while reading and read where you're comfortable, lastly, when you find out you're repeating same line like twice, or 3 times, just stop d reading and rest, the meaning is you're tired. I LOVE D TOPIC ANYWAY. u can whatsapp me here for normal educative chat "08179008388". I hail u boss.

***The day you stop learning, the day you start dying because human ages from the brain.*** (Pastor David Oyedepo).
Re: Help:: How Can I Concentrate Better When I Read? by littleguy444: 1:30pm On Jan 10, 2021
olanajim:

please sir i do read with earphone playing music at the background is there something wrong with that?

(1) (Reply)

Hello? Mills & Boon Anyone? / Mansa. Season 2 (a Ghanaian Story) / Life On The Run Season 6: Life In Paris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.