Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? (7720 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. / Who Are The Most Educated Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by irohadis: 3:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
Let us not reproduce the same thing that we criticise. To make such general assumption on Nigerians and black people is less than critical. So it is, also, to suggest that it is a "black thing."

It is true that the universities as spaces of learning and thinking are failing our youths. But there is a lot of innovation and creative (critical) thinking operating at the popular level in Nigerian society. It is absolutely not possible to survive in Nigeria without the ability to think creatively. It is creative to figure out that the traffic snarls on third mainland bridge and Maryland can be converted into market places. It is also creative to figure out what can sell under such conditions. Even the yahoo boys can be viewed as most creative in the strategies they deploy. Nigerians do not borrow completely from the west, we transform western cultures and infuse them with strong vernacular accents. Our vibrant contemporary music is a case in point. Political discuss is vibrant and operates in bars, homes and communal gatherings. If you are present in any of these, you will realise that contributors advance their arguments critically.

Religion is a belief system and incompatible with logic. This is the case anywhere in the world. If not, tell me why states in the south of the US advance creationism in schools even when there is scientific evidence against it? With religion, the "dumbness" is universal.

It is patronising, myopic and uncritical to project such condescending notions about Nigerian thinking. The problem lies in spaces of formal education where knowledge is imparted rather than interrogated. At the level of everyday life, Nigerians are naturally creative. This is why some cultures answer questions with questions - probing.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by pssword: 3:44pm On Apr 05, 2012
@Poster:
Abeg chill joor - How would you define common sense or critical thinking?
Nairaland is not an exam room. So Please let us not overburden ourselves with over-thinking issues, in what is essentially a light-hearted forum where people come to shoot the breeze every now and then.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by justwise(m): 4:24pm On Apr 05, 2012
Brixtonyute:

It's called SELECTIVE THINKING, mate!!

Your brain is there to absolve, analyze, and gather information from different sources (many sources) - think critically, to form your opinion. Not just one way traffic, from one source - that's indoctrination.

I assume you're a graduate - and I sincerely hope you didn't use just one source of information for your dissertation. And assume in your evaluation and literature review, you did critique your own dissertation - and talked about the short comings and merits of the academic sources you cited in your dissertation.

That's basically critical thinking. Please, apply it to your everyday life and stop being a slowpoke. lipsrsealed

What part of my post made you start lecturing me on literature review now?
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by justwise(m): 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2012
Murder_X:

Are you trying to say something? sorry I interrupted your home video session. We all know that nonesense sells in Nigeria.
justwise please getwise.

If you are 'educated' and have 'common-sense' then you should know that 95% of Nigerians are not dumb as you claimed, that is a very bad lazy argument.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Nairaboi(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
ZUBY77: OP you are right. People dont think at all here. Educated Nigerians are only interested in the certificate they obtained and they all brag about it. A german scientist friend of mine never mentioned to me that he is a phd holder in astronomical physics until after more than two years. A nigerian will make you know that in an hour of meeting him or her.
@ Zuby77, my brother, u are very correct. There was a something i replied on nairaland sometime ago in pidgin and some people were throwing bs on me on how i could nt even make an attempt to write in English language. I laughed and gave them my academic background,being one with nt only a first degree, but also two second degrees with disciplines in English languages, i challenged all who were bragging to face me to a test on both British and American englishes.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by justwise(m): 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nairaboi: @ Zuby77, my brother, u are very correct. There was a something i replied on nairaland sometime ago in pidgin and some people were throwing bs on me on how i could nt even make an attempt to write in English language. I laughed and gave them my academic background,being one with nt only a first degree, but also two second degrees with disciplines in English languages, i challenged all who were bragging to face me to a test on both British and American englishes.

Is there anything like 'englishes'?

I'm just asking an innocent question there because i never heard that word before.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Yewe2011(m): 5:14pm On Apr 05, 2012
great thread!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices this. It's not a problem exclusive to Nigeria and Nigerians but to African people and the black race in general. Our inability to think logically and rationally is the reason for our stunted growth and progress. I know I'm going to upset a lot of folks on here but......the dogma and rigidness of religion is one of the main causes for African idiocy.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by JesusDWay(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2012
@thoth. I quite disagree with your stand on discouraging the teaching of Christian Religious Knowledge in schools. Firstly, i'll like that you tell us here what is bad in how Christianity came into Nigeria which should make us discourage its teachings in our schools. Mixing up the colonial government's activities with Christianity shows an improper knowledge of the events that took place. I'll also like that you cite your source and be a bit more detailed on how Christianity was sustained in the South Eastern part of this country by killings and unlawful detentions. Only a constituted authority has the power to incarcerate, which is not a power that Christianity exercises even in the days of the colonial rule.

I think have mostly mixed colonial rule with the faith, simply because the faith came with the colonial powers.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Abbygurl(f): 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2012
Black people, Black Brain? saddening.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2012
JesusDWay: @thoth. I quite disagree with your stand on discouraging the teaching of Christian Religious Knowledge in schools. Firstly, i'll like that you tell us here what is bad in how Christianity came into Nigeria which should make us discourage its teachings in our schools. Mixing up the colonial government's activities with Christianity shows an improper knowledge of the events that took place. I'll also like that you cite your source and be a bit more detailed on how Christianity was sustained in the South Eastern part of this country by killings and unlawful detentions. Only a constituted authority has the power to incarcerate, which is not a power that Christianity exercises even in the days of the colonial rule.

I think have mostly mixed colonial rule with the faith, simply because the faith came with the colonial powers.

Have you ever gone through the national archives ?
Have done any reading on the indoctrination of YOUNG africans by forced educations on the basis of "civilizing the babarians and saving the heathens" ?
I capitalized the word "Young" for a purpose and those who are enlightened on Social Psychology both as science and as a weapon would understand what i want to say.
Just answer my questions and i may continue.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Immarnuel(m): 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2012
The only problem with us is failing to see our good abilities, we produce the way be absorb in our various education systems. We never believe we can produce what we are never thought especially in our forums we always see our fellows wrong instead of finding the goods, no matter how little it may be. Even a stoped clock is twice correct a day, let us see the good in ourselves then one day the best will surface from our midst.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by mayoroflag(m): 8:53pm On Apr 05, 2012
@Op You have a good point, but....

I used to share this sentiment and I still do. If you look @ most African countries' histories you will realize it was a cultural thing of which an attempt to change by a westernized black man would meet popular resistance. The illogic and lack of critical thinking you are talking about also affects the Arab population but homogeneity of race and religion seems to undermine the apparent effect on them. But notice how different pre-1995 Turkey was considered even in the West. I still believe that Ataturk ability to convert a superstitious and highly islamicized culture to a western-oriented culture is one of the greatest miracles of modern time.

I seem to digress a little bit, but if you considered the history of Turkey and compared it to most other African and arab countries, you will realize that the difference laid in leadership orientations. Our leadership's orientation has had a spillover effect on the general populace with horrendous consequences. The latest point of this happening was South Africa when Thabo Mbeki was removed by his party. But there is a lesson for us...

What Thabo Mbeki demonstrates however (he's not a perfect example) is how a critically and constructively thinking black man can fail to endear himself to his people when he has the opportunity, mainly because most of such people are regarded as acting in arrogance, they are not able to make themselves amenable to people because of a "high-horse" mentality. This has been the bane of this "alternative black elite" the world over. Obama seems to be a major exception, but probably because he was less critical of black cultural failures while successfully endearing himself to hispanic and white populace.

The core black elite feed the majority with the trash of patronage and their endearment to the masses (see Jacob Zuma). This trend has largely been common too in the Northern parts of Nigeria. The reign of the ALE probably ended with the likes of Obafemi Awolowo, Aminu Kano to name a few. Also add the inability of most black people to delay economic gratification or their inability to make informed political decisions and so on......

I can go on and on.....but if you want to crack the mind of the masses and change OUR orientation, you have to let US buy into you. This has been a common failure of the ALE which I consider this thread to represent...
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by JesusDWay(m): 10:10pm On Apr 05, 2012
@thoth. I haven't read any of those however, isn't it true that Christianity turned folks from their barbaric ways of human sacrifices and unecessary wars? If its not, what would you classify Mary Slessor's actions to be?
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 5:05am On Apr 06, 2012
JesusDWay: @thoth. I haven't read any of those however, isn't it true that Christianity turned folks from their barbaric ways of human sacrifices and unecessary wars? If its not, what would you classify Mary Slessor's actions to be?
Since you have not gone through YOUR OWN COUNTRY's archives and has not read any treaties on your country's or africa 's history it follows by logic and your above statement as evidence that you are a victim of the said INDOCTRINATION.
Furthermore your mention of "human sacrifices" in reference to the Traditional religion(southeast in particular) clearly shows that you had not experienced or read any eassy on the cultures of your grandfathers except the distorted and disinforming farce being peddled by pastors and the likes.
Moreover wars as a social phenomenon has been studied over and over and has no affinity to any particular religion african or not, well, i can see how the extremely unjust,brutal and attrocious wars that has been raging and tearing apart your CHRISTIANIZED WORLD is NECESSARY, i believe many of us would prefer our unnecessary wars to having a proclaimed christian nation dropping nukes or anthrax on our heads.
I percieve the innocence of your post and i believe you are not trying to be mischievious but please never mention the likes of mary slessor when having a debate with any proffesor of african history or an enlightened fellow.
On closure please answer these questions
1: as a christian how would you feel when your little kids are taught in their muslim school till university that christians are stupid and islam is the good religion ?
2: If you being a christian can't read or write(as our grandfathers) will you know what your kids are being indoctrinated to do ?
3: is it likely considering basic principles of human cognitive psychology that the said child would grow up to be a muslim and actually see his father as stupid ? If so what are chances by percentage of such outcome ?
4: when you child is encouraged to challenge your belief and you have no right by law to stop him from going to that school that corrupts his mind in fear or being charged of spreading babarism by your white supreme RULERS what do you think the CHILDS conclusion would be if the whiteman can display such power by "knowing the white god" and you and your african god can't do shit ? (read juvenile cognition process before trying to answer )
5:what would be the childs opinion if the people that knows white god can beat you and set your own gods on fire ?
6: To sum it all , as a christian what amount of preaching would a moslem do to you to convert you to Islam ?
Thanks.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by obowunmi(m): 5:30am On Apr 06, 2012
I disagree with this point of view. I have learned so much from some people here on Nairaland - not all but some. Critical thinking is elusive especially for people who study in Nigeria --- cramming and memorization is the only way to comprehend content/material - there are no next steps to problem solving.

Many Nigerians also suffer from cultural norms that inhibits the use of common sense and critical thinking --- they tend to have the "group think" mentality and common sense eludes them from making the right decisions.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by seguno2: 10:14am On Apr 06, 2012
thoth:
I percieve the innocence of your post and i believe you are not trying to be mischievious but please never mention the likes of mary slessor when having a debate with any proffesor of african history or an enlightened fellow.

You don't sound like someone with critical thinking abilities with your off-handed response about Mary Slessor above. You will do better to explain why one should "never mention" the likes of Mary Slessor. I hope you will oblige without delay.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by mayoroflag(m): 10:38am On Apr 06, 2012
@ Thoth

I expect you shld have an open mind about such an issue rather than trying to guide us into hanging "foreign" religion for the issue on the thread.

Our traditional religions supported random sacrifices of virgins to sustain fertility in the land, encouraged killing of twins, deprived women of rights, encouraged polygamous living and slavery. There was a clearly wide gap between the elite and the masses, and it took riches (at that, its influence was limited), competence in war, heredity, or priesthood in traditional religion to cross the social ladder. Others were prone to the whims and caprices of the king and his cohorts. Were these elites not culpable in the slave trade/ Were they not guardians of our traditional religion? Were they not also culpable during military rule (with the notable exception of Alafin of Oyo during the June 12 crisis)?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by mayoroflag(m): 11:46am On Apr 06, 2012
The closest the black came to critical thinking was Carthage (Study history or see wikipedia). Even Europeans came to study there. Romans destroyed the city for its potential to challenge them in any future.

That was the peak of black civilization in the context of high, logical and critical thinking. And just like subsequent kingdoms in Europe were enslaved by Catholicism for up to the 15th Century, (especially sub-saharan)Africa has still been enslaved by (all manner of) religion to date (and of course, Islam, the middle east and north Africa).
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 12:20pm On Apr 06, 2012
mayoroflag: @ Thoth

I expect you shld have an open mind about such an issue rather than trying to guide us into hanging "foreign" religion for the issue on the thread.

Our traditional religions supported random sacrifices of virgins to sustain fertility in the land, encouraged killing of twins, deprived women of rights, encouraged polygamous living and slavery. There was a clearly wide gap between the elite and the masses, and it took riches (at that, its influence was limited), competence in war, heredity, or priesthood in traditional religion to cross the social ladder. Others were prone to the whims and caprices of the king and his cohorts. Were these elites not culpable in the slave trade/ Were they not guardians of our traditional religion? Were they not also culpable during military rule (with the notable exception of Alafin of Oyo during the June 12 crisis)?
I am talking about the southeastern part of Nigeria which is the part i was refering to and all those things you mentioned was not practiced there(exept killing of twins which you did not mention),they don't even have kings to begin with. I try to have an openmind in such debates unless that same pattern which i have witness over and over shows up.
Eg. We were talking about the PERIOD of indoctrination of a PARTICULAR geographical area and you hastened to superimpose another Period(june 12) and location Western nigeria on the whole argument then expect any form of acceptance while it clearly shows you niether understand my post nor the topic which we are discusing, instead you are just doing what any fanatic would do which is trying to win an argument solely by presenting information which does not relate to the subject and hoping to derail the opponent by doing so, that my friend is another symptom of an indoctrinated mind.
If you still don't know world economics still revolves around war,intimidation and bowing down to money princes and does not have any relation whatsoever to the religion of a country african or otherwise.
In your rush to make a post you forgot that SLAVES were sold to those same people who were preaching you christianity and they treated the slaves WORSE than africans do but i am quite aware that a prerequisite to being indoctrinated is asserting the view that only the role played by your OWN kind is evil and other party is always right so i will not task you on that.
I suggest you do further reading and research and you might develop that which you expect of me which is an OPEN MIND.
Thanks.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2012
mayoroflag: The closest the black came to critical thinking was Carthage (Study history or see wikipedia). Even Europeans came to study there. Romans destroyed the city for its potential to challenge them in any future.

That was the peak of black civilization in the context of high, logical and critical thinking. And just like subsequent kingdoms in Europe were enslaved by Catholicism for up to the 15th Century, (especially sub-saharan)Africa has still been enslaved by (all manner of) religion to date (and of course, Islam, the middle east and north Africa).

You are implying that on all the great civilizations that arose out of africa that the blacks peak of civillization was Carthage ?
It then shows you don't even know what those terms mean in the first place.
I like how you used the word "ENSLAVED" in your post above both of your posts now do contradict each other.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 12:58pm On Apr 06, 2012
seguno2:

You don't sound like someone with critical thinking abilities with your off-handed response about Mary Slessor above. You will do better to explain why one should "never mention" the likes of Mary Slessor. I hope you will oblige without delay.
Have tour of the british National Archives and read many of the cables(letters) From the Imperial Niger company to england, it would enlighten you on mary slessor and the role she actually played in covertly subduing the Niger Delta region from agitation against Colonial British exploitations of the region.
She was playing the same role Aid Organisations are playing in Somalia for the West.
To just see how such assertions in our schools had made us Stupid can you :
1: Tell us what She had done ?
2: HOW did she manage to ACOMPLISH IT ?
3: How easy will it be for YOU to make the NORTHERN MUSLIM stop praying facing the east compared to what Slessor did ?
Give it a thought for moment and then enlighten us.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by JesusDWay(m): 1:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
@thoth. It may take me some time to answer your questions which I don't have now besides, how you have chosen not to directly respond to what I've also asked you should make me wonder, even when some others have repeated particularly the issue of Mary Slessor. Apparently, u seem a student of sociology or psychology and you as well seem to be viewing this topic from the angle of religion- how the white man made the black man believed his religion his better and he accepted without questioning.I however will like to simplify matters, at least based on what we can see around(I do not need to read much of history), which way of life would you have preferred, the way of your forefathers or the new way of life the whites brought? Let's see critical thinking from that angle.

I have not read any national archive neither am I an in-depth student of history but with what I see around me, I think the indoctrination has done far better for us than for us to have continued in our proimitive way of life.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Nickydrake(m): 1:16pm On Apr 06, 2012
harakiri: @Brixtonyute

Err. . .Common sense and "critical thinking abilities" in what sense specifically?

There are pseudo-intellectuals and morons in EVERY FORUM not just here so what's new? Everybody learns from one source or the other be it classrooms,news media, newspapers,journals or animal planet. Doesn't matter so long as information is transferred.

Errr. . .How do YOU analyse "everything" other than what you've read, been taught or experienced? Hmmm? What's this "western controlled news media" thing you're bringing up? You're typing in ENGLISH aren't you? Isn't that derived from the western world?

Actually, you barking up the wrong tree. It's NOT a Nigerian thing rather it's A BLACK THING! As much as i hate to say this, the black man has a lot of evolving to do. World wide, we are a global embarrassment (the few black folks that make history are nothing compared to the billions remaining). For instance. . .black folks still remain minorities in the US but check out their prisons. . .who has the largest population? BLACKS! ! ! And it's usually for bottom ladder crimes such as armed robbery,drug trafficking,rape,murder and other violent crimes. Go to Asian jails and check out the population of blacks there. It's appalling. How about down here in Africa? Can you name ONE country blessed in mineral resources that isn't either going through serious civil strife or riddled with corruption? Is it Sudan,Nigeria or Liberia? Which?

With all the billions of dollars (probably trillions due to poor accountability) Nigeria makes yearly, we still can't afford good roads, decent infrastructure,24/7 electricity,security of human lives and property,affordable housing,social security,health insurance and so on. In this day and age, we are still talking about manual bore-holes. Some stupid governor will put 5 manual bore holes in a rural community,claim to have spent N700million on the project and there'll be a media frenzy over his "achievements". It's simply ridiculous and pathetic.

I can go on and on but. . .

Abeg, leave mata. Black man mata no get part 2.

Very well said.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Rgp92: 2:22pm On Apr 06, 2012
mayoroflag: The closest the black came to critical thinking was Carthage (Study history or see wikipedia). Even Europeans came to study there. Romans destroyed the city for its potential to challenge them in any future.

Daaamn, ignorant is a bliss. Please learn your history before typing stupid stuff like this.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by mayoroflag(m): 2:40pm On Apr 06, 2012
Rgp92:

Daaamn, ignorant is a bliss. Please learn your history before typing stupid stuff like this.
thoth:

You are implying that on all the great civilizations that arose out of africa that the blacks peak of civillization was Carthage ?
It then shows you don't even know what those terms mean in the first place.
I like how you used the word "ENSLAVED" in your post above both of your posts now do contradict each other.

Okay I stand to be corrected. Show me, aside from the ancient town of Timbuktu (where the knowledge base was Islam-intensive), where black civilization was built on critical thinking....

I am not interested in who wins the argument. I am only trying to tell you that class in society has not changed. The stranglehold of traditional rulership/ religion has only been reduced by their political authority. Their instinct has been no less different then and now.........

Again I stand to be correct. Don't mix the great civilizations that rose and fell their after on basis of military might in this argument. I am referring to the cultivation of the culture of knowledge. It is that cultivation of the culture of knowledge that differs North America, Europe, and Asia from Africa, Middle East and Latin America today...
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 5:10pm On Apr 06, 2012
JesusDWay: @thoth. It may take me some time to answer your questions which I don't have now besides, how you have chosen not to directly respond to what I've also asked you should make me wonder, even when some others have repeated particularly the issue of Mary Slessor. Apparently, u seem a student of sociology or psychology and you as well seem to be viewing this topic from the angle of religion- how the white man made the black man believed his religion his better and he accepted without questioning.I however will like to simplify matters, at least based on what we can see around(I do not need to read much of history), which way of life would you have preferred, the way of your forefathers or the new way of life the whites brought? Let's see critical thinking from that angle.

I have not read any national archive neither am I an in-depth student of history but with what I see around me, I think the indoctrination has done far better for us than for us to have continued in our proimitive way of life.
i can't find the question which you are refering to and i will be glad if you help me out.
The case of mary slessor has been treated by many Historians both nigerian and foreigners and i am sure it is no longer worthy of any further debate, to aid the lazy student who would consider it stressfull to research and read long essays i provided a set of questions which requires the students application of critical thinking to arrive at a conclusion but if that is also considered stressful or useless then the OP has done much in defining our student whom only clams and memorizes information,using same formular to solve all problems and incapable of any attempt at verification therefore a waste of time.
Before i make any attempt to your questions can you clarify in a descriptive manner what you meant by the NEW WAY OF LIFE THE WHITES brought and OUR PRIMITIVE WAY OF LIFE ?
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 5:27pm On Apr 06, 2012
mayoroflag:

Okay I stand to be corrected. Show me, aside from the ancient town of Timbuktu (where the knowledge base was Islam-intensive), where black civilization was built on critical thinking....

I am not interested in who wins the argument. I am only trying to tell you that class in society has not changed. The stranglehold of traditional rulership/ religion has only been reduced by their political authority. Their instinct has been no less different then and now.........

Again I stand to be correct. Don't mix the great civilizations that rose and fell their after on basis of military might in this argument. I am referring to the cultivation of the culture of knowledge. It is that cultivation of the culture of knowledge that differs North America, Europe, and Asia from Africa, Middle East and Latin America today...
each and every precolonial african nation was built on well thought out and socialy cohesive line(critical thinking per se) and i will like you to prove otherwise.
Every civilization has risen on the basis of there military might and i will like you to prove me wrong as well.
The problem with you people is that you do little or no research at all before making your comments rather you believe that any of your belief by divine right is univesally acceptable and undisputably right both which are the characteristics of a Fanatic.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by mayoroflag(m): 7:29pm On Apr 06, 2012
thoth:
each and every precolonial african nation was built on well thought out and socially cohesive line(critical thinking per se) and i will like you to prove otherwise.
Every civilization has risen on the basis of there military might and i will like you to prove me wrong as well.
The problem with you people is that you do little or no research at all before making your comments rather you believe that any of your belief by divine right is universally acceptable and indisputably right both which are the characteristics of a Fanatic.

What can support military might if not superior knowledge? What can bring about superior knowledge if not critical thinking?

If every precolonial African empire (not nation) was well thought out and socially cohesive (not whipping-in-line), why could their existence not be sustained? Please avoid mixing your sense of patriotism/ black pan-africanist ideas/ anti-religious rhetoric with the objective arguments. You are making generalized statements without giving any bases of reference.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by SkyRider1(m): 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2012
The worse is that people here do not read, neither do they listen (pay attention)

Put up a bold sign and have 1000 Nigerians pass by it. I can bet you less than 50 will get the information on the sign.

Send in 1000 Nigerians into a cinema to see a movie (not Nolly wood Movie). You will have 900 versions of a particular scene.

What is really happening here? A pupil yet to pass his exams knows the names of all the celebrities in the world, all the leading soccer clubs and their immediate details, the most expensive gadgets and cars, the sharpest joints in town,,, etc

What Rubbish!!!
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 10:28pm On Apr 06, 2012
mayoroflag:

What can support military might if not superior knowledge? What can bring about superior knowledge if not critical thinking?

If every precolonial African empire (not nation) was well thought out and socially cohesive (not whipping-in-line), why could their existence not be sustained? Please avoid mixing your sense of patriotism/ black pan-africanist ideas/ anti-religious rhetoric with the objective arguments. You are making generalized statements without giving any bases of reference.

It is really stressful,regretful and toturing holding a debate with someone whom could not hold a line of thought and whose blind urge to win an argurment totally eclipses his ability to be consistent.
A pattern which you and your likes has always displayed is trying to gain acceptance by puting forward a totally different and unrelated problem and applying a solution given by an opponent on it and wish such to be accepted as discreditation. If you keep jumping around randomly like a tennis ball instead being consistent and supporting CLEAR COMPREHENSIBLE STANCE with reason and logic then am afraid i might loose taste for this exercise.
1: I am talking about CIVILLIZATIONS which is where critical thinking capability can be measured and referenced with established methods in social sciences and psychology but you left our debate and created a new one based on EMPIRES, The later which cannot be ascociated with any form of thinking.
2: You should have know if you understood what you are saying that EMPIRES by definition cannot be eternaly sustained since it involves forcefully almagamating DIFFERENT NATION,EXPLOITING THEM AND DENYING THEM OF THEIR SOVEREIGN FREEDOM. This every student of history knows very well. Maybe you yourself can tell me one empire which has been eternally sustained african,european or asian for that matter.
3: I have a good reason to believe that you in particular does not understand what the term to "think critically" means from the way you relate or equate(i don't know which you are trying to ) Superior Knowledge,i would advise you seek the definition of the term in order to assist you in forming better arguments next time.

I would not acuse you of making GENERALISED STATEMENTS since you never showed the capability of correctly making one neither would i mention the LACK of any form of REFERENCE while observing ALL your posts since your arguments does not share a cohesive BASE rather i would acuse you of not Thinking Critically on the problem which you and i are making efforts at solving.
Xiexie ni.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Apr 06, 2012
CORRECTIONS

thoth:
I am talking about the southeastern part of Nigeria which is the part i was refering to and all those things you mentioned was not practiced there(exept killing of twins which you did not mention),they don't even have kings to begin with.

Wrong! South Eastern Nigeria had kings, and in some places, the title remains.

thoth:
If you still don't know world economics still revolves around war,intimidation and bowing down to money princes and does not have any relation whatsoever to the religion of a country african or otherwise.
In your rush to make a post you forgot that SLAVES were sold to those same people who were preaching you christianity and they treated the slaves WORSE than africans do but i am quite aware that a prerequisite to being indoctrinated is asserting the view that only the role played by your OWN kind is evil and other party is always right so i will not task you on that.
I suggest you do further reading and research and you might develop that which you expect of me which is an OPEN MIND.
Thanks.

Slaves where sold to all beings alike, Christians, Pagans, voodoo practishioners, atheics, etc. Slavery had little or nothing to do with Christianity, or Religion, given that the first christians where themselves mostly sold into slavery by the pagans who detested their existence.

Even in Iboland, many of the pagans themselves sold slaves to non-pagans alike. People from one village sold their own prisoners,rejects(osus) as slaves to people of other villages.

No one group on this planet can claim exemption in this. So your choice to target religion remains illogical. Simple research would reveal this.
Re: Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? by thoth: 12:08am On Apr 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: CORRECTIONS

Wrong! South Eastern Nigeria had kings, and in some places, the title remains.

Slaves where sold to all beings alike, Christians, Pagans, voodoo practishioners, atheics, etc. Slavery had little or nothing to do with Christianity, or Religion, given that the first christians where themselves mostly sold into slavery by the pagans who detested their existence.

Even in Iboland, many of the pagans themselves sold slaves to non-pagans alike. People from one village sold their own prisoners,rejects(osus) as slaves to people of other villages.

No one group on this planet can claim exemption in this. So your choice to target religion remains illogical. Simple research would reveal this.
Your post does not make sense at all, if you had tried reading the post for which that reply was meant for you would have found out that it was him that was trying to tie slavery to africans as a consequence of their religious belief therefore implying that christianity stopped them from continuing and i was stating that the act of slavery does not have anything to do with religion thereof.
There are VERY few(less than 4) towns in the WHOLE of Igboland where there were kings and they still maintained a quasi democratic(making the kings merely ceremonial) form of goverment as opposed to autocratic,dictatorial demigods you have in the western and Northern parts of Nigeria at that time, so his attempt at depicting the rulers as barbarous does not hold.
Looking at posts like yours leaves one to wonder how right the OP would have been with the word "REGURGITATION"
I still fail to understand why people think i am defending a certain religion or criticizing another,my whole post is not about religion but it happens to come up as one of the areas which the OP's point can be properly treated.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwaseun Alamu Emerges Best In Africa At World Science Contest / Admission Into Universities In The United States Without Writing Gre For Msc / University Of Nigeria Nsukka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.