Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? (1742 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? / If Given A Complete Freedom To Start Afresh, What Profession Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by deniyor: 8:05am On Apr 07, 2012
Lets assume there is a hypothetical situation where one has two job offers - The numbers are just for referencing purposes and do not reflect reality. Which one would you choose if faced with such situation? Both are starter jobs.

Job A
World wide Mining company
Pay $
Bonus 10% / yr
Vacation 3 wks - which leads up to about 7 weeks off/ yr
max Sick days of up to 100 days a yr
Fly in fly out to mine site kind of job on 1wk on / 1 wk off
Great benefits - slightly better than job B
Accepted as Engineering work by engineering body but doesn't offer satisfactory engineering experience I would like
No need to move
Meals provided on site, all sorts of exercise equipment to counteract the upcoming pot belly from good food.
In the past few years, the company laid off workers once when there was a problem with a mine site / a mine site was non operational for a long time

Job B
Government work

15 sick days + 4 weeks vacation
Great engineering experience - my perfect kinda experience
Involves moving into a tiny city with 5000 people only
Great benefits too but slighly less than the one of Job A
Great stablity.

In my opinion, its a case of career vs money. It will be great to give a reason on your choice if you have any.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by AjanleKoko: 10:03am On Apr 07, 2012
I took the liberty of changing the post's topic.
'Money or Career' sounds very blase. I doubt it will draw many followers to your thread.

@Topic . . . There is very little difference between the salaries, so what is the comparison about? All but the bravest adventure-seekers would opt for the Government job. Need for security is very fundamental in human nature.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by PurerareGold: 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2012
Option ß, comes with job security, though slight difference in pay. But one thing you need is job satisfaction. Which option makes you truly satisfied? Pls take that.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by deniyor: 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2012
In the hypothetical situation above
Job A has a take home pay of $500/mth more than job B
Job B has more satisfaction but more stress of moving and all

Thanks for the replies, they were quite helpful.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by vb0mb(m): 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2012
Choice is relative to individuals, but i believe a rational person will seek to optimize his benefits in the long run, hence he will go for job security and career advancement.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by Shola2009(m): 9:53am On Apr 10, 2012
Job A seems more appealing.
As a young adult,with no mouths to feed but mine, job security isn't high on my list. More like . . . Money, knowledge and exposure.
Re: Two Hypothetical Job Scenarios: Which Would You Choose? by deniyor: 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2012
Shola2009: Job A seems more appealing.
As a young adult,with no mouths to feed but mine, job security isn't high on my list. More like . . . Money, knowledge and exposure.

You have a point but in this case, for job A -its all money. Knowledge and exposure would come with Job B. Except if by exposure, its trying different things that may not be challenging in the long run. I think I'm leaning towards B.

(1) (Reply)

A Foriegn Company Calling Nigerians To Seek This Opportunity To Make Good Money / Pls Help. Benefits Of Writing An Article For Publication. / Be An Agent For Vfd Bank And Earn 30k Monthly!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.