Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,451 members, 7,861,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:19 AM

Mandriva Blames Microsoft For Raw Deal Over Intel's Classmate PCs In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Mandriva Blames Microsoft For Raw Deal Over Intel's Classmate PCs In Nigeria (797 Views)

UC Web To Bring The First Public Beta Of Its UC Browser For Pcs In International / Intel Bringing Voice Apps For Pcs In 2014 / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mandriva Blames Microsoft For Raw Deal Over Intel's Classmate PCs In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 12:33am On Nov 04, 2007
Linux vendor Mandriva has accused Microsoft of raw deal in the contract to install Mandriva Linux in 17,000 Classmate PCs supplied by Intel to equip elementary schools with computers and software in Nigeria.

The CEO of Mandriva posted an open letter addressed to the CEO of Microsoft on Mandriva's blog and the debate over it has attracted over 450 comments so far and I have responded on ZDnet, Mandriva's blog and on my own blogs, because many of the respondents were insulting Nigeria. I thought they were right until I investigated the matter and found out that Mandriva has been shouting wolf when there was no wolf at all.

You can read all about it on Linux World on the following link:

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/110207-microsoft-swoops-in-to-claim.html
Re: Mandriva Blames Microsoft For Raw Deal Over Intel's Classmate PCs In Nigeria by Ralvy(m): 1:46pm On Nov 04, 2007
Man, Thanks for the gist, I'll check the link out now!
damn! this is crazy!
Re: Mandriva Blames Microsoft For Raw Deal Over Intel's Classmate PCs In Nigeria by cryptosuno(m): 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2007
@Orikinla,

I am kinda curious as to why would you say Mandriva is crying wolf, I followed your links and did my own little research, and I came up with the following

1. Mandriva actually posted the details of the "deal" on their main website for the entire world to see. I don't think they would have made such a stupid error as telling the world they had closed a deal, whereas the hadn't.

2. Microsoft bullies, and we are corrupt, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together.
Remember Netscape.

3. Our government representatives in this deal actually told Mandriva that they would still pay for the software, but would later install windows over the Classmate PC's. In other words we will be paying for 2 different packages (OS'es) on per PC, can someone please yell MISAPPROPRIATION!

I realise that its all honourable to stand up for one's country when we are being whitewashed outside but lets be real, honest and blunt with OURSELVES. What is wrong is wrong, that which is unethical is unethical.

Or Orikinla do you think that the payment for their software is all that is at stake here for both parties, Enlighten us.

(1) (Reply)

It And Non-it Certification Training At Octi / Dku-5 Not Recognise / How Do I Password My System To Request For A Password To Boot/@ Boot Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.