Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,660 members, 7,823,873 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

God And The Male Ego - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And The Male Ego (2895 Views)

God And His Angels. / JESUS' TWO NATURES: GOD AND MAN / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

God And The Male Ego by emofine2(f): 4:51pm On Apr 08, 2012
What do images of God tell us about the place of men and women in the world?

In certain theological constructs God is believed to have no gender (at least in how we understand gender to be) albeit this being is usually referred to in pronouns that favour a particular gender. In many accounts the idea of God and the identity attached to this being exerts much masculine relevance.

One proposed reason as to why God has been in relatively recent times identified as “He” since the popularization of monotheism is perhaps due to the belief that the chief pronoun is masculine thus the employment of such language was solely analogous. However there are gender neutral terms which could instead be employed thus not having to risk alienating a particular demographic. Or could no equivalence be achieved with the inclusion of neutrality?

The projection of God as a “He” makes it seem as though man is the closest that there is to God - granted, more so as an authoritative figure than physical form. Thus how does one translate God's authority in a majorly matriarchal society?

Why is the feminization of God considered as idolatry and not vice versa?
Does the employment of such grammatical gender of a celebrated deity affect how believers regard both men and women?
Does monotheism propel the male ego?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 5:03pm On Apr 08, 2012
emöfine2:What do images of God tell us about the place of men and women in the world?

In certain theological constructs God is believed to have no gender (at least in how we understand gender to be) albeit this being is usually referred to in pronouns that favour a particular gender. In many accounts the idea of God and the identity attached to this being exerts much masculine relevance.

One proposed reason as to why God has been in relatively recent times identified as “He” since the popularization of monotheism is perhaps due to the belief that the chief pronoun is masculine thus the employment of such language was solely analogous. However there are gender neutral terms which could instead be employed thus not having to risk alienating a particular demographic. Or could no equivalence be achieved with the inclusion of neutrality?

The projection of God as a “He” makes it seem as though man is the closest that there is to God - granted, more so as an authoritative figure than physical form.

Why is the feminization of God considered as idolatry and not vice versa?
Does the employment of such grammatical gender of a celebrated deity affect how believers regard both men and women?
Does monotheism propel the male ego?
so because God is refereed to as a 'he' you feel alienated ? *shaking my head*
Re: God And The Male Ego by emofine2(f): 5:06pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: so because God is refereed to as a 'he' you feel alienated ? *shaking my head*

It's because you're shaking your head you fail to recognize my objectivity.
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 5:10pm On Apr 08, 2012
emöfine2:

It's because you're shaking your head you fail to recognize my objectivity.
you know God created a being in his image and the being he created was a man. so obviously that was his image. but he just took pity on the man and thought, hmmm make agro no go catch this man so lets make him a woman so he can enjoy himself grin grin . wink hope you see the heirachy in that
Re: God And The Male Ego by emofine2(f): 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: you know God created a being in his image and the being he created was a man. so obviously that was his image. but he just took pity on the man and thought, hmmm make agro no go catch this man so lets make him a woman so he can enjoy himself grin grin . wink

What does the the term "image" mean to you?

So God (at least the one you adhere to) has a gender? Or does God have a correspondent?

hope you see the heirachy in that

Wasn't the published article an all male affair?

Hence isn't all this from a masculine perspective? Thus wouldn't such be biased?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2012
emöfine2:

What does the the term "image" mean to you?

So God (at least the one you adhere to) has a gender? Or does God have a correspondent?

Wasn't the published article an all male affair?

Hence isn't all this from a masculine perspective? Thus wouldn't such be biased?
i dont get your point at all. there is heirachy in creation. it is what it is. can you fight like a man ? can you lift the weights that a man can lift ? can you run like a man ? woman you have to learn to play your position in life. like my niggas from tha durty souf always say 'get in where you fit in'
1 CORINTHIANS 11 VS 3[b] Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.[/b] Why you cant learn to play your position ? angry Lord says 1 TIMOTHY 2 VS 12 But I suffer not a woman to usurp authority over the man. you are an anarchist. thats what you are. somebody pass me the sword. OFF WITH HER HEAD angry

LOL
Re: God And The Male Ego by mkmyers45(m): 7:31pm On Apr 08, 2012
Anyway right from the name 'Woman'. Women have been relegated to a sub-role so potraying God as a 'weak woman' will be termed abberation. its only natural that men's ego is even applied when refering to God in all his complexity. esp A nigerian religionist will probably fight you to death if you term God 'she' grin
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 7:45pm On Apr 08, 2012
mkmyers45: Anyway right from the name 'Woman'. Women have been relegated to a sub-role so potraying God as a 'weak woman' will be termed abberation. its only natural that men's ego is even applied when refering to God in all his complexity. esp A nigerian religionist will probably fight you to death if you term God 'she' grin
i dont even think this has anything to do with ego. it is what it is. the woman was created for the man. its biblical. dunno why emofine is fighting the natural order of things. she may need an exorcism grin
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 8:27pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee, what was man created from?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 8:31pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind: buzugee, what was man created from?
the dust of the earth. to which you also return whence you die
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 8:45pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: the dust of the earth. to which you also return whence you die

and what do women return to when they die?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 8:51pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

and what do women return to when they die?
whats your point angry
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 8:56pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: whats your point angry

none.
just trying to get enlightened.
my mind works thus
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 8:59pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

none.
just trying to get enlightened.
my mind works thus
ahhhh ok undecided she goes to the dust. ashes to ashes and dust to dust
Re: God And The Male Ego by logicboy: 9:33pm On Apr 08, 2012
Buzugee is a sexist and so is the bible.

The only difference between a man and woman is physical. Woman was not made from man. That rib thing is rubbish

God doesnt exist
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 9:36pm On Apr 08, 2012
logicboy: Buzugee is a sexist and so is the bible.

The only difference between a man and woman is physical. Woman was not made from man. That rib thing is rubbish

God doesnt exist
which came first, the hen or the egg ?
Re: God And The Male Ego by honeric01(m): 9:51pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: which came first, the hen or the egg ?

the cock.
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 9:53pm On Apr 08, 2012
honeric01:

the cock.
grin Hmmm
Re: God And The Male Ego by Jenwitemi(m): 10:23pm On Apr 08, 2012
And that is why people like buzugee cling on to rekigion so much. The HE-God was created according to the sexist image of males like buzugee.
logicboy: Buzugee is a sexist and so is the bible.
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2012
Jenwitemi: And that is why people like buzugee cling on to rekigion so much. The HE-God was created according to the sexist image of males like buzugee.
Actually in real life i am not a sexist. i am quite passive. all am doing is speaking from the good book about the heirachy the lord favors. and i dont cling onto religion.
Re: God And The Male Ego by logicboy: 10:38pm On Apr 08, 2012

Chicken Dinosaur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/910248/why-can-not-muslim-girlfriend
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 10:44pm On Apr 08, 2012
logicboy:

Chicken Dinosaur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/910248/why-can-not-muslim-girlfriend
thats quite a peculiar looking creature sad
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 11:23pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: ahhhh ok undecided she goes to the dust. ashes to ashes and dust to dust

So to summarize, the hierarchy goes like this: god-jesus-man-woman.

god does not die
jesus dies but doesn't really
god made man from dust and man dies and becomes dust
god made woman from man but woman dies and also become dust

am i correct so far?
Re: God And The Male Ego by Olisa74(m): 11:29pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind: buzugee, what was man created from?

We have been taught in school that nothing can be created or destroyed. So man is not created.

The egg obviously came first.
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 11:50pm On Apr 08, 2012
Olisa74:

We have been taught in school that nothing can be created or destroyed. So man is not created.

The egg obviously came first.
you dont say who lay the egg ?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 11:52pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

So to summarize, the hierarchy goes like this: god-jesus-man-woman.

god does not die
jesus dies but doesn't really
god made man from dust and man dies and becomes dust
god made woman from man but woman dies and also become dust

am i correct so far?
ask yo mama. grin
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 11:56pm On Apr 08, 2012
buzugee: ask yo mama. grin

why?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 11:57pm On Apr 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

why?
i hear she is an astronaut
Re: God And The Male Ego by Kay17: 11:58pm On Apr 08, 2012
Gender is culturally defined same as God its invention.
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 12:01am On Apr 09, 2012
buzugee: i hear she is an astronaut

did you also read that in your great book?
Re: God And The Male Ego by buzugee(m): 12:04am On Apr 09, 2012
Logic Mind:

did you also read that in your great book?
yup. book called 'great female astronauts'
Re: God And The Male Ego by LogicMind: 7:59am On Apr 09, 2012
buzugee: yup. book called 'great female astronauts'

that will teach you a lesson.
zealot

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Power Of Atheists! / Is It Right/ Wrong To Drink Water While Fasting? / Soul Winning/evangelism – An Instrument For Church Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.