Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,376 members, 7,958,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:57 AM

Odemwengie Is Going Nowhere – Hodgson - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odemwengie Is Going Nowhere – Hodgson (653 Views)

Benzema Going Nowhere / Vidal Going Nowhere / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Odemwengie Is Going Nowhere – Hodgson by Werehkpe: 5:46pm On Apr 14, 2012
West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson has rejected claims that striker Peter Odemwingie will be sold in the upcoming transfer window.

Speculation has surrounded the Nigerian striker’s future at the Hawthorns ever since it was reported that Hodgson was unhappy with the former Lokomotiv Moscow player’s form.

But the pair held talks in February, and Hodgson insists that the 30-year-old, who has hit 10 goals this season for West Brom, is not for sale.

“Peter Odemwingie is an important player for us and a player we believe in and a player we want to keep and a player who is not for sale,” Hodgson told reporters.

“We don’t welcome offers for Peter Odemwingie. He is a West Brom player at the moment and will be next season.

“We want to keep him and he is under contract. Very simple really.”

The 64-year-old also rubbished claims that he is interested in signing Fulham’s Andy Johnson, who is reported to be part of a swap deal involving Odemwingie.

“It is very irritating when people just out of the blue suddenly start linking us with other players,” Hodgson said.

“I presume the link with Andy Johnson is based on the fact we worked together at Fulham and it is a player I admire as a footballer.

“He did a great job for me but, to be fair, he is not a player we’ve actually discussed in terms of next season.”

Hodgson faces a potential contract crisis at the end of the season, with 12 players, including the likes of James Morrison, Jonas Olsson and Keith Andrews either out of contract or approaching the final year of their current deals.

But the Englishman is not bothered by the situation and believes contract renewals will be resolved nearer to the start of next season.

“I don’t think the situation we are in is any different to any other club. Every club has players who are either running out of contract or entering the last year,” Hodgson said.

“It is part and parcel of this time and year and trying to prepare for the next season.

“We’ve got time and most squads won’t be finalised until August. That is how it’s been the last few years and that is how it will be this year.

“I hope the players we are holding talks with would love to stay, I hope they sign the contracts and stay with the club.”

http://www.soccerroomtoday.com/news/odemwengie-is-going-nowhere-hodgson/

(1) (Reply)

Fifa/fifpro World XI: Andrea Pirlo And Others Who Should Have Been Included / Pep's BAYERN / Messi With Mom At Monaco Yesterday During The UCL Draw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.