Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Reverting The Words Of A Dead Man. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reverting The Words Of A Dead Man. (888 Views)

Spoting A Dead Person After Been Buried (akudaya) How True Is This? / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / Warri Parables: Words Of Our Popsi's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reverting The Words Of A Dead Man. by Zimrow(m): 1:22pm On Apr 19, 2012
I have been dating this girl from Enugwu-Ukwu for a very long time, we are really in love, we have been doing things together and we decided to finally get married.

After going for knocking we were told to leave the particulars of our village which the lady's people said they intend to use it for investigations before the marriage could be contracted, after two weeks we receive a reply that the lady's father before dying made a pronouncement that none of his children be allowed to marry an Imo State person, now my concern is, is there anyway that pronouncement can be reverted? I really need help as much as I can both myself and the lady are confused and she has said she will never like to go agaisnt the wishes of her people. I really need help.
Re: Reverting The Words Of A Dead Man. by Ikennanwafor: 3:36pm On Apr 19, 2012
Your case is a sad one, the issue in Igbo land is too many cultures, and most of these cultures are not progressive at all, there are many impediments to marriage, it can either be as a result of the osu caste system or even disputes and Enugwu Ukwu is not exempted, though I know many Anambra women who have said they will never marry an Imo State man. They argue that Imo State men maltreats their wives, but to me personally I feel that everyone is distinct in his own ways.

Now back to your question, I have never had an issue of this sort before but I believe every man has an Onochie (the person who stands in for him) in your case it may be his son, if he had a son, I think the son will have the authority to revert what his dad has said in case he finds out that what made his dad to make such a statement has been resolved.

Anyway that is my opinion, maybe someone from Enugwu Ukwu can help
Re: Reverting The Words Of A Dead Man. by Zimrow(m): 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2012
Thank you Ikenna, I really dont know whether what you said is right, but someone told me that there will be dire consequences if anyone tries to revert it. That it can lead to barenness, sickness and even death, I just dont know how true it is, and if it is the best way to revert it. I was also told that not even the son, Onochie as you said have the right to.

I really dont know much about igbo culture

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On Iwu Festival / Translate A Proverb You Find Very Interesting In Your Lang. Into English Lang. / Documentary Threads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.